There Must Be A Mistake Ch. 34

"Give me a moment William."

"Holden, Gordon, get in here."

I heard them before I saw them.

"Where do you think you're going little man?"

"Let go of my neck, and fix your pants. You look ridiculous."

Holden burst into the lead and reached me first. Gordon finished fixing his belt as he came to a stop by my right shoulder."

"Enjoying your downtime son?"

"I was, until someone bellowed by name."

"Wonderful, both of you put your thinking caps on. What will our altitude and airspeed be when we cross 111.48° West by 53.23° North."

Holden asked, "Can I use your laptop so I can see a grid map."

Gordon didn't ask anything so casual. He wanted to know what was at that geographical intersection.

I answered just as casually, "Nothing important, just the US 2nd Fleet."

"Are they there to do a search and destroy, or a search and rescue mission?"

"You answer my question, and I'll answer yours."

"They haven't got a prayer dad," Holden said. "Once we finish our systems check, at 500 feet, and Delicious increases power to the magnetic grid to 95%, Gordon is going to increase power to the fusion engine to 48%. We will be moving faster than 16,000 mph, and passing 150,000 feet 40 seconds later. We will have barely entered the Gulf of Mexico, and the 2nd Fleet is in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Whoever did their math did a profile of the space shuttle leaving out of Cape Kennedy, believing that was the best anyone could ever do."

"The people at the air traffic control centers had to show them the tapes of us maneuvering at 4000 mph around the country."

"Sometimes people don't want to believe what they see, and other times they see what they don't want to believe. This leaves us with a more obvious problem. Someone's going to try to plant the bomb on the spacecraft today."

There was a hard knock at the front door, and Jennifer yelled, "Don't touch it, or the alarm will go off. Even put your birthday numbers into the alarm module to turn it off. Month, followed by the day and year."

"Okay, I've got it."

As soon as I turned my back, and started walking down the hall towards the alarm, Jennifer held up a $5 bill and whispered, "I bet he gets it wrong."

Zoey said, "I'll take that bet."

Gordon looked at his wife and asked, "Would you like to lose $5 more?"

"It's your money, why not."

"I will figure out a way to get it back from you."

Richard asked, "$5 more Zoey?"

"Of course. I suppose you want in on this also Holden?"

"I hate taking your money Zoey, but this is a sure thing."

As they finished their betting, I walked to the front door, opened it, and let Monty in. I asked her if she would like coffee or tea, but she declined.

I returned to my chair, and all eyes were watching me.

I asked, "Is my shirt hanging out of my pants? Is my zipper open? Why are you all looking at me?"

Jen said, "You remembered your birthday; that's amazing."

"It shouldn't be, I had to write it down on so many forms this year, verifying I knew the people who were coming with us, it became 2nd nature to me."

"Okay, I can accept that excuse. Everyone owes $5 to Zoey. She is the only one that bet you would win."

"Thank you, you sweet adorable girl. I still won't go driving with you."

"You won't get me behind the wheel of a car dad."

"How about the bridge of the spacecraft?"

"No, no, no. It will not happen. I am not driving spacecraft."

"You would be bossing your husband around all day."

"When did you say training starts?"

Everyone in the kitchen started laughing, including Gordon.

"Let's get back to the more serious problem, how is a bomb going to get onboard our spacecraft today?"

Monty replied, "Doctor Luck, the ship is sealed. No supplies, no suitcases, no personal items, nothing goes onto the ship today, except people, and even we are going through metal detectors as we board the ship. I don't believe any of us, who have been selected to go, would meet the profile of a mad bomber. There is one that comes close, but I will keep an eye on him for a very long time; a very long time."

"Thank you Monty, I'm sure the other 62 of us on board appreciate you keeping a very close eye on Gordon, and a 24 little turkeys that will start hatching tomorrow."

"If I see a turkey hatchling tomorrow, Gordon is going to be burping feathers."

Gordon asked, "Have you spoken to Janet lately?"

"Did that little tramp help you get those turkeys on board?"

"It sounds as if you are angry with the entire world Monty. I only asked if you spoke with your friend lately. Now it sounds as if you have abandoned her."

"I haven't abandoned her. I have not seen her lately."

"Have your schedules changed?"

"Not that I'm aware of."

"Isn't she supposed to be part of the team who guards Zoey and me?"

"Yes she is."

"A real friend would go out of her way to find out what happened to her former partner."

"Doctor Luck, please let me kill him."

"No. Someone is going to try and blow our spacecraft out of the sky today, and all you can think about is killing one of my children. I should put you over my knee and spank you for thinking so narrowly."

"If you do it dad, I will give you $500 million."

"If you don't keep your mouth closed, I'll give her 2 minutes with you in a closet."

"I'll give you everything I have for those 2 minutes."

"Do you see the difference in those two offers Gordon? You offered me a ton of money. Monty offered me everything. Which one is the greater value son?"

"I'll be quiet."

"Those are the smartest words you have ever uttered."

"Monty, you said no one was bringing anything on board today, is that correct?"

"Yes Doctor it is. The only reason we're using the gangway, instead of the elevators in the legs of the spacecraft, is because it gives everyone a last chance to turn around and wave goodbye. It's also the place where the Honor Guard will transfer control of the remains of President Clark, and Mrs. Julia Atwater to us. The Honor Guard will not enter the spacecraft."

"Get me Jack Daniels on the phone now."

"You're holding the phone dad."

"Oh my god, William are you still there?"

"Where the hell do you think I would be you jackass."

"I'm sorry, I forgot you were there."

"I want you to remember this Even. My speech comes after yours this afternoon, and you will regret it. Why do you need Jack Daniels?"

"From what Lucius told me about Jack, he's not only a fantastic engineer, he is also a great bomb disposal man. If someone removed the remains of President and Mrs. Atwater, and exchanged them with explosive devices, I believe it would be appropriate for Lucius to return these devices to their rightful owners, don't you?"

"You have to leave this planet Even. Only one of us is allowed to think like me, and that's me."

"I don't have to ask you to promise me this will be taken care of, because I know it will be. Our blood sweat and tears have gone into this project, and some asshole thinks he or she is cute enough to slip this one by us."

"Its 10:45 AM Even, didn't you have someplace you wanted to be?"

"You bastard, why did you keep me on the phone so long. I'll get you for this."

"If I were a little younger Even, I would rip your lungs out."

"You couldn't get that close to me. Jennifer would protect me."

"Women, they are the loves of our lives, and the Banes of our existence."

"I didn't mean you Jemma; stop hitting me. Jemma I meant all the other women in the world, not you. Remember you can't kill me until I'm 130 years old, and you are pregnant. Stop hitting me."

"It's wonderful to know that you are the king of your castle William, just like I am king of mine."

"Leave me alone you asshole. I have to see if Jemma is getting ready to pull a 'Lizzie Borden' on me, or if she's just getting a baseball bat."

"Call junior, he will protect you."

"Young William has changed his mind. He seen his mother in action, and has decided his never getting married."

"How much did you bet him on that?"

"I don't believe in wagering when I have a sure thing. I just laughed at him. He was so disheartened, he went out to breakfast by himself."

"Doesn't he know all our waitresses here are redheads?"

"They are not."

"You don't go out to breakfast very often do you?"

"I never go out for breakfast, it's too early in the morning."

"Young William is in for a big surprise. I'm going to change and leave for the NEST."

"If I am still alive, Jemma and I will be there at 1 o'clock."

"Be nice to her William, tell her you hope it's a girl, just like her. It will get you out of a lot of trouble."

"Go to work and leave me alone."

"My work is done, now the fun part begins."

"Find the fucking bomb you asshole."

***********************

"In my humble opinion, I believe William is in trouble. Jemma may not kill him, but he will be hurting, when it comes to the festivities this afternoon."

"I don't know about you dad, but look at the time. Zoey and I are leaving."

"Monty would you open the door for my son please."

Monty smiled broadly. "It will be my pleasure Doctor Luck."

"I think we can wait another minute or 2 for you and mom, dad."

Monty said, "Chicken shit."

"Can I see you for a minute mom?"

"I'll be right there Richard."

I said "I think it's time to leave."

"Why the change of heart dad?"

"You'll hear about it soon if I'm not out of the house."

I headed for the front door, with Zoey and Gordon trailing behind me.

Jennifer yelled, "Even Luck, if you take one more step your dead."

"If I don't outrun you now, I'm going to be dead anyway."

"Sit down Even, before I claw your eyes out."

"Hell dad, what did you do now?"

"I am an engineer, and the scientist. I did what I do best, and now I'm in trouble."

"You mean you got caught doing some reengineering."

"Yes, I believe that's the appropriate term."

Jennifer walked into the kitchen, threw the alarm box, 3 paperclips, 2 Q-tips, four short pieces of wire, and some tape onto the kitchen table. She growled at me menacingly.

I thought I secured the alarm box to the wall securely, with that double-back tape, but apparently the weight of the box was too much for the tape, and it fell off the wall.

Then, my tattletale son, Richard, knifed me in the back. If I had just a few more minutes, or if we had left earlier, I would have fooled everyone. Now, like my good friend William, I had to face the Lady of the Manor. I would know in a moment if all I was going to lose was one head, or both.

Jennifer said, "You lost all the bets Zoey. This is how your father-in-law put his birthday dates into the alarm system. He destroyed the system, rather than acknowledging he didn't know the date of his birth."

She looked at me with a smile on her lips. "Even, you are such a big baby. You would rather use your talents to bypass our alarm system, rather than acknowledge you forgot your birth date, again.

Everyone who has carried your name for more than one month bet against you, because we know you so well. You can remember a formula down to a microgram, because it's important to you. You remember our anniversary, and each of your children's birthdays, because they are important to you. Your birthday doesn't matter to you, and you have no idea when it is. I'm not going to tell you when it is. This way I can throw you a surprise party anytime I want, and say happy birthday. You will go through life never knowing the day you were born, and do you know what Even; you won't care. It doesn't matter to you. Only your work, your family, and your friends matter to you, and most of the time it's in that order. We don't mind being 2nd on your list, because the time you give us, we have you body and soul, and nothing will tear you away from us. We have you all to ourselves, and we relish every moment of it."

161. The NEST

"I'm going to kill that old man."

"Calm down Even, you are not going to touch a hair on Williams head."

"We're 2 miles from the entrance to the NEST, and we haven't moved an inch in the past five minutes. All these people can't possibly be invited guests."

"Well we know this much, they can't leave without us."

Even's driver said, "Relax Dr. Luck, we will be at the NEST momentarily."

"What are you going to do Frank sprout wings?"

"No doc, something less radical, and more easily arranged."

My phone rang, and it was my daughter calling.

"Hi baby, we are on our way. We're stuck in traffic, but Frank says we should be there shortly, although I don't know how."

"Good morning daddy, soon a big milk truck will pass you going very slowly. I am right behind him, and I have several of our guests behind me. Pull out ahead of me and follow the truck to the NEST. Get ready because here we come."

"Okay baby, we will be waiting."

"Did you know about that Frank?"

"Yes sir, I did."

"You didn't think it was necessary to share that information with me?"

"No, as long as you were only yelling at the Mrs., it wasn't my concern."

"Warren don't open my door. Let me get out Frank's side, I want to hit him."

"That's fine with me Mrs. Luck. Would you like me to hold him for you?"

"No, he won't run away, he would never live it down."

"She doesn't know me very well Warren. I can run away with the best of them."

A short time later, an 18 wheeler rolled by moving slowly southbound, displaying the Borden's Milk Cow 'Elsie' on its side. Fred pulled out quickly and got in behind it. It was my fervent hope that the people traveling northbound on this 2 Lane Road did not wish to pick a fight with a truck this size.

When we reached the turning point for the NEST, we saw what the problem was. Cars were double and triple parked along both sides of the road hoping to get the best vantage point for this afternoon's launch. No one was allowed to turn into our private road, except invited guests. Our agents were standing there, in full protective armor, and with automatic weapons making it very clear we were not playing games.

Our milk truck proceeded on its way to Austin, and we turned into our base and were escorted to the hangar. The invited guests were let off at the discharge point, where they showed their invitations, and were directed to their seats by high school juniors and seniors. When they arrived at their seats, they were given a menu for soft drinks, wine, and finger foods, which would be served at no charge until 2 PM, when the festivities really got moving along.

When Jennifer and I started walking towards the hangar, a little voice yelled out, "Grandpa."

When we turned to see our little red headed monster running towards us, that's exactly what she was, a redheaded monster.

"What happened to you Teddy?"

"Banana split no chocolate syrup. Had strawberry syrup. Love strawberry syrup. Missed my mouth, down my shirt."

"I would love to take pictures of you, but were not allowed to take cell phones with us. You look absolutely adorable."

"Mommy want to kill me. Daddy stop her."

"We have a washing machine and dryer in this building. We will wash, and dry your clothes, until you are all clean. We will wrap you in a giant towel to keep you warm. You will look as good as new. Ask mommy if it's okay."

"Mommy, grandpa take clothes, wash them, make clean, wrap you in towel until dry. Angry with me?"

"No I am not angry with you any longer. I was very angry when you picked up the bowl with your banana split still in it, and tried to drink all the syrup out of it. I'm very happy that is the last ice cream you will ever see."

I kept my mouth shut, because I managed to squeeze 20 gallons of ice cream into our freezers. Other condiments like sprinkles, chocolate and strawberry syrup, and tiny marshmallows would show up also. Children should not have to go without ice cream Sundaes without a weaning off period. Some parents would praise me, one particular parent would probably want to kill me at this moment, and it would not be a figure of speech.

"Gordon check to see if primary and secondary flight crews are here."

"Will do dad."

"Jen when our son comes back with the news of who's here, I want you to lead them on a search of the vehicle. Start on the fifth floor and work your way down. I will get another crew have them start on the first floor and work their way up. I want to make sure the ship is clean before the honor guard comes."

"I'll take care of it Even."

"Remember, on the fifth floor, if you should run into the supplies for the turkeys. Check everything thoroughly. Make sure none of the bags have been tampered with while they were here."

"Yes sir, it will be done."

"You never say that to me at home."

"At home, we are equals. Today, you are master of that vessel. I will follow your orders to the T."

"Thank you dear."

"Mark would you page Col. Jack Daniels to the hangar please. Also, order all engineering staff, flight crews, and future married people to the hangar also."

"Will do, Captain."

"How are you feeling Teddy?"

"Mommy angry with me, I think."

"Should mommy be angry with you? Did you do a bad thing, or a good thing?"

"I like strawberry syrup."

"Teddy did you do a good thing, or did you do a bad thing?"

"Bad thing."

"Should mommy be happy with you, because you did a bad thing?"

"No."

"Why were you at the Creamy Cow this morning?"

"Daddy said if I was good, he would take us to Creamy Cow this morning."

"So you did a good thing to go to the Creamy Cow, and while you with there, you did a bad thing. Do you see how terrible that was? You cheated your daddy and mommy. You tried to fool them into thinking that you would be good, while you ate your ice cream, but you were bad. I would put your nose in the corner all day for doing that to me. All day, no lunch, no dinner, just water, because you made a fool out of me. I would be extremely upset with you."

"I like strawberry syrup. It delicious."

"Is that your excuse for doing something bad?"

"Yes."

"I wonder what Callie would think about that response. Would you like to find out what your new friend would say?"

"Yes please, I think she understand."

"Okay, I'll take you there now."

"Mark, if Colonel Daniels shows up, tell them I went to the ship on the third level."

"Yes sir."

*****************

"Good morning General, how are you today?"

"Grumpy."

"General this is my granddaughter Teddy, I don't believe you two have met."

"It's a pleasure Teddy, what happened to your clothes?"

"Strawberry syrup."

"That will do it every time. Where are you off to Doc?"

"We are going to check with the computer, to make sure everything is okay."

"It sounds good to me. Sign in, and check out when you leave."

"Will do."

"Everyone's being very careful today Teddy. This is a very important day for a lot of people including you and me."

"I know. Someone's going to try to blow us up."

"Why didn't you mention this before?"

"You are already working on it. You need no help."

"Do you have any idea who is doing it, or where they may be placing the bomb?"

"No, no feeling, berry sneaky."

"Okay, let's go see Callie."

When they reached the third floor, Teddy jumped out of my arms and ran to Gordon's position to say hello to her friend.

"Hi Callie, its Teddy, are you ready for today?"

"Good afternoon Teddy, why are you in your underclothes? My systems are 100%, all ancillary systems are in satisfactory condition, nuclear engine is running at .05%, all exterior lines are connected. Four hours and 10 minutes to launch."

"I wanted to talk to you about my underclothes, is that alright?"

"Of course, how can I help you?"

"I can't decide if I did a bad thing, or I did something with an excuse that do not make it bad. Does that make sense?"

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 16 milliseconds