Time to Think Ch. 02

Sandra looked at them for 5 minutes then shrugged and handed them back. George Harris smiled. This woman obviously had no experience in accounting. "So you have no comments?"

Sandra was puzzled and her face showed it. "Comments? You mean that is a real set of numbers from one of your divisions? I thought it was from a text book on what not to do. I mean I thought it just an academic exercise."

The woman sounded sincere but George Harris was cautious. "Would you like to look again and show me your suggestions?"

Sandra's eyes lit up. "Yes sir, Mr. Harris I would love to do just that."

For 20 minutes they sat at his conference table as Sandra explained all that could be changed to improve the operation. He was impressed and smiled as she left his office. Every once in a while he got lucky and would find a good employee in an unlikely place. When Sandra was gone he compared her work with that he had contracted an independent firm to produce. She had given just about the same advice in half an hour, without the aid of the full audit, that Harris had paid dearly for.

Pulling up her application he called her previous employer in St. Louis. He was disheartened to find they had no record of a Miss Sandra Fulton. George called Sandra back to his office. "It seems your previous employer has no record of you Miss Fulton.

Sandra was stunned the remembered she would have been Sandra Bridgeman to them. She explained. George Harris made the second call with Sandra in the room. He got a glowing recommendation when given the correct name. With that settled George Harris asked Sandra to wait in his outer office.

Les Morris was waiting in the outer office and was ushered in when Sandra stepped out. George Harris got right to the point. He handed the two reports to the Chief Accountant. "What do you think of this?"

Les looked at the papers then told George he would need a while to evaluate them. George was angered. He explain the woman he had just interviewed had given him the identical information the company had paid $20.000.00 for from an outside source. And she did it in 10 minutes and without an audit. It was a fluke or Sandra Fulton had talents the company could surely use. Les Morris left the office of George Harris with the knowledge Sandra Fulton would be hired. He was also instructed to load her with work and check it closely. It was trickery George Harris wanted to know quickly.

Sandra was called back into see Mr. Harris. "Miss Fulton I wish to offer you a position as Junior Cost Analyst. The starting salary will be $65.000.00 per year with the usual benefits."

Sandra was stunned. She was going from $8.65 an hour to $65.000.00. Her shock showed on her face. George Harris saw it and in his haste misread Sandra's reaction. "Miss Fulton you drive a hard bargain I can go to $75,000.00 but I assure you that you will earn every penny of your salary."

Sandra didn't know what to do except say 'thank you'. She then asked if she could go to the ladies room. In all the tension of thinking she was about to be unemployed, then offer an outstanding position she was in need. Mr. Harris was most understanding and instructed his secretary to escort Sandra to the executive ladies room. Sandra would have been more impressed if she hadn't been in such dire need. After she has relieved her bladder she squealed with joy. She then hoped no one heard her outburst.

A few minutes later Sandra was back in the lobby. Her old supervisor was near the receptionist aiding her in assuming the duties. She looked up at Sandra, "I see you are about ready to leave?"

As Betty finished her sentence the saw George Harris walk into the lobby. She smirked thinking he was about to give Sandra a pink slip and her final check. She was surprised when George Harris informed her Sandra was their new Junior Cost Analyst. She would be taking Rodger Norton's old desk and extension. He then led her to her new office space.

Whitney had watched the change in her roommate and lover. She realized with a little sorrow Sandra was moving away from her. They still slept together on occasion but their lovemaking was dwindling aseach encounter was farther apart.

The next day Sandra was moved in and taking on a full work load. George Harris watched Sandra closely. He was to be very please he had found her reading want ads that day. In three months Sandra was promoted to Senior Cost Analyst. She got a raise and a key to the executive ladies room.

The same week Sandra was promoted Megon Bridgeman became Mrs. William Kent. It was a small ceremony for their engagement had been short. Thomas Bridgeman gave the bride away and paid for the wedding. He had a different young woman with him as was the norm any time Megon saw her dad. Megon was saddened because she had been forbid to invite her mother to the ceremony by Thomas. For that reason she didn't tell her mother.

Three months after the wedding it became obvious why the couple had married so quickly. Megon had made excuses when her father offered to visit or have them accompany him on one of his weekends. She knew she would have to face him and her mother someday soon but she was putting that off as long as possible. Therefore neither Thomas nor Sandra knew they would be grandparents within two months.

It was a Monday that Thomas Bridgeman reported to the company doctor for his yearly physical. He thought nothing of it and was told that day his blood pressure was still a little high but not a serious problem. The blood work came back on Wednesday and all looked good according to the report. Friday was when the surprise came.

When Thomas reported to work on Friday morning Allen Jamison was in his office. "What brings you to the office at this time of day Allen?" Thomas quizzed his boss and friend.

"Well to tell you the truth I came here to ask a favor," Allen said.

"Shoot, what you need?"

"Well you know that office we have in Spokane?"

"Sure Allen, you mean the dump."

"That's the one. But that's the problem. There is a market there in the Northwest that has never been developed. I think we have neglected it long enough."

"You're kidding, right? I can't see any market for us there. The only reason we keep it is to dump off people we don't need. When they get there they are faced with starvation on commission alone. They up and leave us. And such a pity too." Thomas laughed. As he looked at Allen he realized his boss was not kidding.

"Thomas I know what we've done, but there is reason to believe we can develop a good base in a year or so if we get the right man to run the operation. We have just about maxed out in all our other markets."

"Allen we haven't begun to tap the foreign markets yet. And with them we can unload our out of date and obsolete technology."

I know that Thomas but we are getting a hassle with our export license. Could take a year to get."

"Allen I can go to Washington and get the license next week. What gives? Who you want to get rid of now?"

"Thomas, that's what I mean. Everyone knows that is the only reason we set up the office and pay the rent. I think to keep possible lawsuits down we need to make a real effort to get it up and running even if it just breaks even."

"Ok you're the boss, what poor sucker you want me to send?"

"That's not the right attitude. I want the best man we have on this project. Someone who can make things happen. One with energy and drive." Allen Jamison just looked at Thomas.

"Oh wait a minute Allen. You're not thinking of me are you? If you want to be rid of me just say the word."

"No Thomas that's not my motive. I just want the place to have the leadership needed."

Thomas knew something was brewing so be began to play along. But he smelled a rat and was determined to get to the bottom of it. When Allen wanted Thomas to start in Spokane Monday week the realization he was on his way out fell upon him.

"Well if that is what you want I've a lot to do. I'll take today off and get my personal things in order," Thomas offered.

"You do that Thomas and I'm glad you realize I really do want to develop a market in the Northwest."

On his way out his secretary asked him a quick question before she went back to her desk. "How was your physical?" she had said but didn't wait for a reply. On a hunch Thomas went to his personal doctor. He wanted the works as he put it and demanded the results before Monday.

Late Saturday Thomas got a call. He headed to the hospital. There they ran an ultra sound. Checking the results they did an MRI. An hour later Thomas had a probable diagnosis, it was advanced lymphoma. The doctor told Thomas that if he had waited two or three more months there would have been no hope.

To be continued

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 27 milliseconds