Valentine's Day Curse

"You're thinking about the Curse again, aren't you?" she guessed with a smirk.

"Go ahead and laugh," I retorted, ignoring my embarrassment and forging on. "But an hour ago you were dressed in your pajamas and ready for bed, and suddenly you're dressed to kill and wearing perfume that's distracting as hell."

"You call this dressed to kill?" This time she actually laughed. I knew what she meant, but still there was something about the clothes she choose that really got to me. "And I'm not wearing any perfume. You probably smell my shampoo. I washed my hair earlier."

"It's amazing, whatever it is," I said half to myself. It was also extremely tantalizing. I took a deep breath. It didn't smell like shampoo or soap. It smelled like...well, Rebecca.

Smelled like Rebecca? What the hell? I shook my head once violently to snap out of whatever was going on. I was a lot closer to her than I remembered being a few seconds ago so I stepped back.

"Are you sure you haven't been drinking tonight?" Rebecca asked and frankly, I didn't blame her. I was acting like a fool.

"I wish," I mumbled, causing her to frown.

"Look," she began with a sigh. "I was watching a movie and fell asleep earlier than usual tonight. I'd probably still be there if you and your friend Tommy hadn't woken me up. After helping you get him inside I couldn't stay in the clothes I was wearing because, not to be gross, I was hit with some splatter while he was emptying his stomach into the bushes.

"I guess I could have thrown on another pair of pajamas, but my robe needed to be washed too and I felt funny waiting to find out if everything was okay in only them. Besides, I was cold from standing outside. So instead, I threw on something warm and comfortable after washing up." She paused and gave me an odd look before continuing.

"As we were talking and you mentioned having to go back to work I realized that it might be fun to go out since I was awake anyway. I'm new in town and don't have many friends yet. I've been too busy coming up to speed at school." I frowned because I had the feeling she'd edited what she originally planned on saying. She continued before I decided whether I wanted to know what she filtered out. "I thought I'd check out your pub since it was still open and I'd heard some good things about it, but don't worry. I understand what's going on. You obviously don't want me there."

"I didn't say that," I disagreed, which apparently ended up being the exact wrong thing to say. Her grey eyes flashed angrily.

"You didn't, I did," she said succinctly. Whatever she was about to say would definitely not be edited this time. "We're not children. You're still trying to deny that despite the way we met there's an attraction between us. I don't know if it would develop into anything more, but you're clearly against finding out. I get it." She sighed loudly, letting go of her anger. I was stunned.

"It's just that when you started complementing me and flirting it felt good," she added more calmly. "Everyone here knows me as Ms. Phillips, the tough school teacher. Believe it or not, there's more to me than that. You were the first person who seemed to notice."

"The Curse..." I began, but she didn't let me finish.

"Please!" she snapped, more in annoyance than anger this time. "I understand why you don't like Valentine's Day." Her voice grew softer. "Honestly, I can't imagine how it must have felt to learn about your mother's cancer the way you did, but don't you think you're giving this so called Curse a little too much power?" She seemed to deflate when I didn't immediately respond.

"It's late," she sighed. "And a school night. I'll check on Tommy in the morning. Goodnight Mike." She started to close the door.

It's funny how life can be narrowed down to a handful of important moments. Deep inside, I knew this was one of them, just like finding out about my mother's cancer all those years ago was another. Only this time, I had some control over what was happening. I could let Rebecca close her door and go on with my life the way I had been, or I could take a chance, Curse be damned.

"What..." Rebecca began as I reached out and grabbed the door before it was fully closed. I opened it wide and stepped inside. She stepped back, but I move forward faster. I captured her in my arms and paused briefly, first to give her a chance to escape if she really wanted to and second, so she could see in my eyes what I wanted before I brought her lips to mine. It was a one sided kiss as first, but eventually, probably after the shock wore off, Rebecca relaxed in my arms.

I'd kissed my share of women over the years, but this was different. Rebecca was different. She was right when she said there was an attraction between us, but I had no doubt whether it would develop into something more or not. That's what scared me earlier. It was easier to blame the Curse than accept what I was feeling.

"Has anyone told you before that you can be hot and cold?" Rebecca asked when we finally broke apart. The only response I could come up with was to kiss her again. This one wasn't as long, but it was just as amazing. She shook her head afterward, adding, "And awfully forward." Yet, despite her words, Rebecca was the one to initiate the next kiss.

I broke from her when I knew I'd be unable to stop myself from taking it to the next level if we continued. I was sorely tempted to show Rebecca just how forward I could be, but I didn't want to ruin what was happening.

"Wow," Rebecca said softly when we pulled apart. I smiled because it was nice to know I wasn't the only one feeling the attraction between us. I felt the connection deep down. Something like this could be incredibly addictive. Frankly, I was already pretty sure I couldn't live without it.

"I need to get back to my pub."

"Like I said, hot and cold," Rebecca frowned, which made me laugh this time. I guess it could look that way to her, but at this point there was nothing cold about what I felt for Rebecca. In fact, the reason I needed to leave was because if I didn't, then I'd be sure to do something stupid. Of course, that didn't mean I planned on leaving her behind.

"Let's go," I said, taking her hand and opening the front door.

"Wait!" she cried. "What's going on?"

"You're coming with me, aren't you?" I asked. Something in my tone must have let her understand what I was leaving unsaid. She tilted her head slightly as she looked at me. Her smile came on slowly, but by the time it was complete, it lit her face in a way I'd never forget.

"Let me get my coat." I had to let go of her hand for her to do that. It was harder than you might think. She read my expression and shook her head, but her smile remained. I watched her go with a smile of my own. I'm sure it was on the goofy side, but at the moment I could care less.

I left and made my way back to my car so I could start it and get the heat going. I have to admit I was in a bit of a daze. This was completely uncharted territory for me. I mean, I'd dated plenty of girls over the years, but none of them made me feel like this before. I don't think I ever truly loved any of them. I would occasionally wonder why. Some of my friends would joke that it was because Cynthia Beretta broke my heart in eighth grade, but that was ridiculous.

My younger brother Sean said it was because I liked playing the field too much, which might have been true when I was younger, but not for the last few years. My sister Emily blamed it on mom's death. Watching my mother lose her battle with cancer was hard and it hurt. It hurt a lot, but I never thought that it was the reason. Frankly, up until today, I really didn't have a clue.

Dad always insisted that I hadn't met the right girl yet. That sounded good when I was a teenager, but not so much once I hit my twenties and even less so this past year when I realized I was within spitting distance of thirty.

Since Emily's divorce, every time dad mentioned it she'd either roll her eyes or make a rude comment. My sister was turning into quite the cynic as she's gotten older. I hoped that dinner with Timmy tonight might help with that. I guess time would tell.

In either case, surprise, surprise, dad was right. It was because I hadn't met the right girl, and now that I had it was so obvious. Rebecca was the one. I had no doubts. Okay, maybe I had one, but only because it was Valentine's Day. This could be the Curse at work, but what I felt was so strong that I wasn't willing to lose my chance with Rebecca because of the possibility.

Of course, if I woke up tomorrow and it did end up being the Curse, I was going close the pub and sleep through Valentine's Day in the future, to hell with the holiday being good for business. I was thankfully distracted from that last thought when the passenger side door opened.

"Hi," Rebecca smiled. She was wearing a dark blue pea coat that went well with her sweater. My God, she was beautiful! I couldn't resist leaning over and kissing her. She returned it. Frankly, we might have stayed there a lot longer if my cell phone didn't ring. I pulled away from her reluctantly and then frowned when I saw the number.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked as I answered the phone. The answer made me groan. "Seriously? Okay, I'm on my way. I should be there in a few minutes."

"What happened?" Rebecca asked.

"The Curse," I grumbled, but then sighed and added, "Actually, probably not. It was probably just Tina being Tina."

"Who is Tina?"

"A soon to be former employee." I was pissed, but there was little I could do about it right now. "She's a waitress, although not a particularly good one. I was planning on getting rid of her eventually anyway, but after tonight she'd done."

"What happened?" Rebecca asked once more. I sighed before answering.

"That was my bartender Franky. He was covering for me while I dropped Tommy off." I had to get back to the pub so I kept my explanation short. Truthfully, I didn't know anything more than what I was sharing anyway. "Supposedly Tina walked out a few minutes ago. Sally, the remaining waitress is doing her best, but the customers are not happy."

"What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to get there as soon as a can and cover Tina's tables," I answered. "It won't be the first time. It's not really that big of a deal, but it sort of puts a damper on tonight. I'm not going to be able to sit with you. Maybe you should stay home?"

"Is that what you want?" she asked in response.

"Hell no!" I said in frustration. "What I want is to get to know you better, but that's not going to happen now and it's not fair for me to drag you into this mess."

"You're not dragging me," Rebecca smiled. "I want to come. Let's go." I smiled at her despite everything. I put the car in gear, pulled away from the curb and picked up speed quickly.

Thankfully, the trip to the bar was quick. I got out of the car and rushed to the door. Rebecca was right behind me. I only paused long enough to hold the door open for her. She moved inside and stepped to the side, letting me lead.

"Thank God!" Sally sighed when she saw me.

"I'll be with you in a minute," I said to her before moving to the bar. Franky saw me and frowned.

"Sorry boss," he sighed. "Everything was fine until some guy showed up for Tina. I think he was an old boyfriend or something. Suddenly, she had to leave. I tried to stop her, but she claimed that she didn't know that the hours were extended and she couldn't stay."

"Bull," I said succinctly. I distinctly remember telling her the week before. "Don't worry about it. I'll take care of her tomorrow. This isn't your fault. It's par for the course with Tina." Franky nodded, but still didn't look happy. I knew he didn't like having to call me, but it was the right thing to do.

"We would have been okay, but I let Anthony go home not ten minutes before she decided to play her disappearing act," he added. "There was no need for two of us tending bar anymore and his girlfriend surprised him by coming in to town. You know Anthony, he was going to stay until close, but I didn't think it would be a big deal for him to go and they don't get to see each other all that often."

I nodded, but I wasn't sure I agreed with that decision. The bar was still pretty crowded. I knew Franky could handle it, but it wouldn't be easy. He'd agreed to do a double shift for the holiday. This was close to his twelfth hour on. Franky wasn't a young man and sometimes he forgot that, not that I was going to be the one to remind him.

"I'm going to have to cover Tina's tables," I continued, gesturing Rebecca forward. "This is Rebecca. Get her whatever she wants on the house." I then turned to her and added, "Unless you want to wait for me in my office?"

"No, I'll be fine," she replied. "You go do what you need to. I'll be here when you're done." I nodded in thanks and ran into the back to grab an apron and pad, but not before I saw Franky looking at me oddly. I shook my head. He didn't miss much, even as tired as he had to be right now. I guess the fact that I seldom brought a date to the pub and even when I did I never offered to let them wait in my office was a bit of a giveaway.

I was delayed in returning to the front because I had to deal with some stuff in the kitchen. It was nothing big, but the cook needed to talk to me. Jerry had a tendency to overreact at times. I'd learned long ago that all I had to do is let him vent for a couple of minutes and everything would be fine. I did my best to remain patient with him while he let off some steam.

I pretty much ran through the door and back out to the main bar area when I could finally get away. That's why I almost sent Rebecca flying. She was on her way in holding a tub of dishes. I barely caught her before she fell.

"Are you okay?" I asked, which I quickly followed up with, "What are you doing?"

"I'm fine," she replied, but then smiled and added, "Although you might want to slow down a little. You're already short staffed. You don't want to take another one out." I took the tub from her.

"You don't have to help," I frowned, realizing that's obviously what she was doing.

"It's no big deal," she insisted. I wanted to argue, but we were clearly having a late influx of people coming in to get something to eat. There were at least three groups waiting to be seated and one of them was large.

"It is a big deal," I retorted, but then shook my head and added, "And it's greatly appreciated."

"No problem," Rebecca smiled. "Believe it or not, I worked my way through high school and college working in restaurants and bars. I'd offer to take some tables, but I don't know your menu. Now get rid of those dishes, bring out another bin and then go seat some people."

"And I'm the one that's forward," I snorted.

"I'm not forward," she retorted as her smile turned into a grin. "I'm bossy. There's a difference."

"Great," I sighed as I turned to bring the bin into the back. I could hear her laughter as I passed back through the door.

"What are you grinning at?" Sally snapped as she passed me carrying a tray of food.

"Nothing," I replied. "I'll take some tables as soon as I get back from dropping this off. The girl busing is Rebecca. Her daytime job is teaching at my nephew's school. Be easy on her, she's a friend helping out. She doesn't work here." That actually made Sally pause before going through the door.

"Would that be the same teacher who made you take a breathalyzer before allowing you to drive the boys home?"

"She didn't make me," I sighed I frustration. "I volunteered." I loved my neighborhood, but sometime I really hated the damn rumor mill that inevitable went along with living in a small town. "But yes, it's the same woman." Sally shook her head.

"There's a story here that I'm dying to hear," she said, but then added with obvious regret, "But it going to have to wait until things quiet down." Sally pushed through the door and I carried to the tub to the dish washer.

I stopped at my office and grabbed another apron before going back out to the front. By the time I got there Rebecca already had another bin ready for me.

"Here, wear this," I said handing her the apron as I took the tub. "That's way too nice of a sweater to ruin."

"Thanks," she smiled before turning back to the tables. I brought the second bin into the back. I realized that I was in a surprisingly good mood considering what happened with Tina and the fact that I had to cover her tables. Hell, it was still Valentine's Day, at least for another hour and a half and I was never in a good mood on Valentine's Day. I knew it had to do with a certain dark haired, grey eyed beauty whose smile warmed me in ways that were hard to explain.

"Wow, I really do have it bad," I snorted to myself. The dishwasher gave me an odd look that I chose to ignore.

Rebecca was just finishing putting silverware on a table and Sally was serving meals to another when I entered the main area once more. It was time for me to get to work. I directed one of the smaller groups over to sit at the table Rebecca had finished setting up. I also suggested to the larger group that they might want to wait by the bar and they took me up on it.

I went to the first table and took their order. A few minutes later while I was putting it into the computer I glanced toward the bar to see how Franky was doing and found Rebecca there handing out drinks, and not just beer or wine. Clearly, she'd tended bar before. She was a life saver, in more than one way.

The next half hour flew by as we caught up with the late night rush. I glanced at Rebecca frequently, but really didn't get a chance to talk to her. That didn't matter. Just watching her smiling and laughing with the customers was enough to keep me in a good mood.

I was stealing yet another glance at her a few minutes later when Carol Hendricks came from out of the blue and tried to kiss me again, only this time she succeeded. I hadn't even realized she was still in the pub until her arms were wrapped around my neck and her lips locked on mine. I extricated myself from her grasp as soon as I could, but the damage was already done. I looked Rebecca's way and saw that she was watching us.

"Not again!" I groaned, remembering what happened with Linda while I was at college when that girl kissed me on the dance floor.

Rebecca came out from behind the bar. I couldn't read her expression, but I figured it was a fifty-fifty whether she walked out without a word or said some unkind things before leaving. I racked my brain trying to come up with something say that would make her stay, but I had nothing. The truth hadn't worked with Linda all those years ago. Of course, Rebecca wasn't Linda so I figured I'd give it a try. What other choice did I have?

"You know," Rebecca said to me before I could explain. "The more I hang out with you, the more I start to believe in your curse theory." She then turned to Carol and took her arm. "Come on Ms. Hendricks. Let's get some coffee into you."

"But Mike..." Carol began. Rebecca cut her off, but not unkindly.

"...is taken for the night," she interjected. "But you couldn't have known that so there's no harm done." Rebecca was definitely not Linda. I wasn't sure if she saw what happened from the beginning or read the truth from my expression, but in either case she clearly understood what happened without me having to explain.

"Ms. Phillips?" Carol said in surprise, finally recognizing Rebecca. "Mike is dating you?"

"Yes I am," I smiled. Rebecca and I exchanged a smile before she led Carol to a seat at the bar and gave her a cup of coffee.

"Hey Boss, she's buses tables, bartends and handles drunks like a pro. This one is a keeper," Sally said as she walked passed. I shook my head, but not in denial.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 45 milliseconds