Valentine's Day Curse

"Tell me about it." Of course, none of those were the reasons why I liked her. The more time I spent with Rebecca the more it felt like we fit together. I never met someone like her.

I glanced at my watch and sighed. It was a little after eleven. In less than an hour Valentine's Day would be over, but I was starting to feel optimistic that what Rebecca and I shared was beyond the Curse's ability to screw up. I should have known better.

Twenty minutes later the front door opened and a good looking guy came in wearing a navy uniform. He was obviously an officer. He looked tired, distracted and in need of a drink as he made his way to the bar. I followed to let Rebecca known that the first round would be on the house. That's why I was looking right at her when she glanced his way. I couldn't miss the recognition and shock in her expression. The guy noticed her around the same time.

He looked surprised, but that didn't stop him from smiling. You could learn a lot from a person's smile. This one said a whole lot that I didn't want to hear.

"Derek? Is that really you?" Rebecca asked as she came out from behind the bar once more. She continued talking before he could respond. "What are you doing here?"

"Looking for you," the officer replied in satisfaction as he hugged her tight. She squeezed back. It felt like I'd been punched in the stomach and all of the air in my lungs slipped out.

"I'm on leave and I just had to see you," he added. "Your mom gave me your new address, but when I tried to surprise you, you weren't home. I tried calling the cell number she gave me, but you didn't answer."

"I didn't hear it ring," she said, still smiling at him. "The bar's been pretty busy."

"I was ready to find a hotel for the night when as usual when it comes to us, fate stepped in. I saw this place was open and decided that I could use a drink. And there you were, bartending, just like the first time we met. Definitely fate."

"Fate my ass! It's the damn Curse."

I hadn't realized I'd said it out loud until both Rebecca and Derek looked at me. He looked confused, but that was nothing compared to her expression.

"Let me guess, old boyfriend?" I knew the answer already, but I had to ask.

"More than that," Derek interjected, obviously registering that there was something between Rebecca and me and staking his claim. I ignored him and focused on her. Rebecca frowned, but didn't deny it. I nodded to myself as I tried to accept the pain I was feeling as par for the course. It was just another typical Valentine's Day, only this one hurt more than most. In fact, the only one that was more painful was the one where I learned about mom.

"Mike..." Rebecca began, but I could tell from her tone what she was going to say and honestly, I couldn't handle it.

"I understand," I interjected. "Thanks for the help, but things are quieting down and you and Derek obviously have some catching up to do."

"I'm sorry," she said softly.

"Me too," I said, trying to smile, but it wouldn't come. There was no way this should have hurt half as much as it did considering we'd only met earlier in the day, but it did. I was hoping that it was only the Curse at work and tomorrow I'd feel better, but I wouldn't put money on it.

"Are you going to be okay?" Rebecca asked. I had no idea how to answer that, and frankly, I didn't get the point of her asking. I'd given her the out she obviously wanted. Why did she have to ruin it by staying and asking that question?

"Probably not," I replied, but then took a deep breath and forcibly calmed myself. "But then again, I never am on Valentine's Day. The Curse lives." The last part was supposed to be a joke, but it didn't come out that way. I sighed and added, "Now would be a good time for you to leave."

"You'll get over me soon enough," she insisted, not taking my advice. Something inside snapped. I tried doing the right thing. I tried being big about what was happening, but she wasn't making this easy. Worse, she was trying to downplay my feelings. She had no right to do that.

"Get over you?" She was leaving. I got that. A part of me had been expecting it all night. It was Valentine's Day after all. Still, I'd be damned if I let her rationalize away what I felt for her. I needed her to understand.

I wish I were better with words, but I knew myself well enough to know that if I tried explaining it wouldn't come out right. That's why I took Rebecca in my arms and kissed her one last time. It was the only way I could clearly express what I felt.

"Hey!" Derek cried.

The heat was still there between Rebecca and me despite everything and I lost myself in the kiss for a moment before Derek pulled me away from her and took a swing at me. It connected with my jaw and rocked me back. It was a nice punch and I figured I had it coming.

If he had left it at that I would have let it go, but he was clearly ready to follow up. Derek was big and strong, but you don't own a pub, even one in my small town, without learning a thing or two about fighting. I ducked his next swing and delivered a short jab to his solar plexus. The air whooshed out of his lungs and he leaned against the bar gasping. Rebecca went to him and all the fight left me.

"Easy buddy, you've already won," I sighed, turning away and finding every pair of eyes in the place on me. "Last call. We're closing in ten minutes." I was a half hour early, but so be it. Maybe Valentine's Day was good for business, but it sure as hell wasn't good for me.

I went to my office and didn't quite slam the door as I went in, but it was a close thing. I joked about the Curse a lot and deep down I think I always believed it was a bit of a self-fulfilling prophesy. It was no stretch to realize that I hated the day so I always saw things in a bad light because of that, but tonight was different. I'd taken a chance on love despite it being Valentine's Day, and as soon as I did things started going wrong.

First, Tina walked out and I had to rush back to the bar and take over her tables. Despite that, Rebecca decided to come along anyway. Then Carol ambushes me with a kiss. Rebecca deals with that just as easily so the Curse pulls out the big guns. It's like it knew it was on its last strike. How else do you explain Rebecca's former boyfriend tracking her down to my pub at exactly the wrong moment?

"Fucking stupid Curse!"

I mean him showing up here after he left her place wasn't that big of a stretch. Our town had three decent bars and the other two were on the other side of town. It sort of made sense for him to show here. He would have been disappointed in not finding Rebecca home and a drink would have sounded good if I were in his shoes. On the other hand, him getting leave from the navy and showing up today of all days had to be fate or the Curse. Call it what you wanted, but in my book it sucked the same amount no matter what.

Fifteen minutes later I walked back out to the bar not feeling any better. I just wanted this day to end so it was time to make sure everyone was gone and start closing. There were still two customers sitting at the bar, but one look at Franky and I understood. He was serving them coffee and probably had already called for a taxi.

Sally was done clearing and wiping down all of the tables. She was now vacuuming the rug. I went to the busing station and brought the first container into the back. The kitchen staff were working hard at cleaning their areas as well. The next fifteen minutes went by quickly. No one talked to me, but I didn't blame them. I wasn't fit for conversation at this point.

Franky, Sally and I were the last to walk out. To say I was surprised to find Rebecca leaning against my car was a vast understatement. She had the collar of her pea coat up and her hands in her pockets. She had to be freezing.

"Definitely a keeper," Sally offered with a slow smile.

"She could just be back for her share of the tips."

"Don't be a dumbass," Sally said, rolling her eyes before moving toward her car. "See you tomorrow Boss."

"Night Mike," Franky added. I thought that was all he was going to say. After all, Franky was always a man of few words, but then he added, "Valentine's Day ended five minutes ago." Like my sister said earlier, he was a smart man.

"Thanks," I said seriously. He nodded and followed Sally toward their cars. I made my way to Rebecca. I didn't want to get my hopes up, but she was here. That was something.

I think subconsciously I began relaxing the moment I got close to her. Her soft grey eyes were locked on mine and they let me know everything I needed to at that moment.

"Hey," Rebecca offered with a tentative smile. I didn't bother replying. I simply took her into my arms and kissed her again. She came willingly enough and the hurting inside that began the moment I saw her hug her navy friend eased significantly.

"Let's get you home," I said after a few moments. "You're freezing." I opened the passenger side door for her and she got in. I made my way to the other side of the car. It took a few minutes for it to warm up and we sat in silence at first.

"Aren't you going to ask me what happened?" Rebecca finally asked.

"I figured you'd tell me when you were ready." I took her hands in mine and worked at warming them. Again, her soft grey eyes locked on mine, making me kiss her yet again. She was a woman who could say a lot with one look. Rebecca smiled contently afterward.

"Do you mind taking me home before we talk?" she asked. "I don't want to have this conversation in a car."

"No problem." I continued to hold her hands until the car was warn enough to drive. Even then, I held on to the one closest to me.

The trip to her apartment was uneventful. Neither of us said much as we traveled the short distance. We were too busy enjoying each other's company.

Rebecca's place was nice. I waited on the couch in the living room for her while she dealt with our coats and went into the kitchen to bring us something to drink. I was clicking through the channels when she finally came back. She was holding two glass coffee mugs.

"Hot buttered rum," she smiled, handing one to me. "It's one of my favorites when it's cold outside." I tasted it and smiled.

"Not bad," I offered. Rebecca sat down next to me and sipped her drink. I could tell she was gathering her thoughts so I waited patiently.

"I met Derek in college," she began slowly. "I was in the class behind him. He sort of swept me off my feet and we dated for a year. He was in ROTC and had already agreed to serve after he graduated before we met otherwise things might have gone differently, but then again, maybe not." She paused briefly before shaking her head slowly and continuing.

"In either case, he insisted we break up when he graduated because he didn't want a long distance relationship. I didn't take it well so when I saw him standing there in his uniform after almost two years a lot of the old feelings came back." I can't say I wasn't jealous by her admission, but then again, she was here with me and not off somewhere with him. That went a long way toward keeping me calm.

"I was so confused at first that I didn't know what to do. I didn't think it was right to ignore everything he and I shared, especially considering he'd come all this way to see me," she said honestly. "On the other hand, I couldn't deny the connection between you and me."

"It didn't help that you were so understanding when you learned Derek and I had a past," she sighed. "I figured the right thing to do was deal with my feeling for him first, only I couldn't get myself to leave you there like that. Not after all that talk about the Curse. It seemed too cruel." Rebecca paused, shaking her head once more before meeting my eyes. "And then you kissed me and I knew."

"Knew what?" I couldn't help ask. She smiled at me and squeezed my hand.

"That I couldn't possibly feel what I did for you and still be in love with Derek."

"Okay, so now I'm confused," I sighed. "I mean, if that's true, then why did you leave with him?"

"I didn't leave with him," she disagreed. "You stormed out before I could explain and Derek was in pretty bad shape so I helped him to his car. He didn't take what I had to say well when I told him I was staying."

"You know," I smiled slowly. "I can almost feel sorry for him."

"Don't," she snorted. "He stole a kiss. I guess he was trying to prove something, but if that was his reasoning, it definitely backfired. It only made me realize how much more I felt when I kissed you." I would have been annoyed, but how could I be based on what she'd said? Besides, she wasn't the only one who got ambushed by someone steeling a kiss today.

"You think that maybe we should have introduced him to Carol?" I asked. "They might have hit it off. You never known." We shared a laugh that didn't last very long, but only because we ended up in each other's arms. Kissing Rebecca was the most natural thing in the world. After a few minutes she pulled away, but didn't go far.

"You know, I think between the buttered rum and your kisses I'm finally no longer freezing." She was smiling warmly at me. I took her hands in mine.

"I still can't believe you were standing there when I left the pub. You didn't have to wait outside," I laughed gently. "You could have come back in."

"Please, I think the people in this town already had enough enjoyment at our expense today between the fiasco earlier at school and tonight with Derek," she half said and half groaned. "I mean even on Broadway, they only do two shows a day. If I'd walked back in there they would have been waiting for an encore and this was something we needed to work out alone."

"True." I could see the logic there.

"Besides," she smiled slowly. "I wasn't sure how you were going to react, it being Valentine's Day and all. That Curse of yours seemed awfully committed toward ruining what's happening between us."

"That it was," I agreed readily.

"Do you think it's finally given up?" She was teasing me and I knew it. Valentine's Day had ended at the stroke of midnight. Still, I wasn't above using the Curse to my own advantage.

"I don't know," I said in a concerned voice. "Sometimes it lingers to give it one last try."

"Well," she grinned, knowing full well I was full of it. "We can't have that now, can we?"

Rebecca tilted her chin up, letting me know she was ready for another kiss. I took her in my arms, leaned down and brought my mouth over hers. Our lips touched and I was in Heaven, only the more we kissed the more I wanted. It didn't help that it was obvious she felt the same.

I don't remember lying down, but sometime later I realized we were. Rebecca was half on me and half on the couch. Her body felt amazing presses against mine as the taste of her lips continued to drive me crazy. Eventually, I couldn't take anymore, at least not without taking it to the next level and Rebecca didn't strike me as the type for that on the first date. Hell, this wasn't even officially a date.

"We have to stop!" I groaned. "You're driving me crazy!" She paused and lifted her head high enough that we could look into each other's eyes. Hers were both playful and hungry at the same time. It was an odd combination that only made it more difficult for me.

"Stop? We can't stop," she teased. "We can't give the Curse a chance to ruin everything."

"There is that," I offered, kissing her once more. I held her close and placed my free hand behind her neck to keep her lips pressed against mine, not that she was trying to pull away. I used the thumb of that hand to gently caress her cheek and chin for a while before releasing her neck and moving lower. She seemed to enjoy the feel of my hand against her skin until it slipped below her neckline, but not quite to her breasts. Rebecca pressed her own hand against mine holding it in place.

"Mike, I like you. I like you a lot," she said slowly. "But all kidding aside, there's no way this is going where you're hoping." I can't say I was surprised, but then again I was definitely disappointed. "At least not tonight." That lent a whole new dimension to what I was feeling and despite my frustration I smiled.

"I can wait," I replied, moving my hand away from her chest. I think my smile threw her because she frowned.

"Can you?" she asked. I didn't realize it was a rhetorical question until she sat up and continued without giving me a chance to answer. "Because I only give myself to someone I love and knowing you love someone takes time. Derek and I were together six months before it happened."

"Does it always taken that long for you?" I asked, not quite sure why. I was sitting up now too.

"There was only the once," she replied with a frown. Rebecca had to be at least twenty-four or twenty-five and in this day and age to only have slept with one guy in all that time seemed pretty amazing to me, but then again, I guess maybe I'd led a somewhat jaded life in some ways.

"Rebecca, relax. For you, I can wait as long as it takes." She gave me an odd look before finally responding.

"You're very smooth." That made me laugh.

"Okay, so I know we've only known each other one day, but by now I think it's fair to say that although I am many things, smooth is definitely not one of them." She frowned so I decided to remind her of some things. "Um, let's take today for instance. I got in a fight with a school teacher to the point where the police had to show up. I got my sister so mad she began lecturing me in front of pretty much half the parents at that school. I decked a navy officer and finally, I kicked everyone out of my pub a half hour early which I'm sure was great for business."

"You may have a point," she admitted, finally relaxing enough to smile.

"That's because although I'm not particularly smooth, I am reasonably intelligent," I grinned in reply. I should have left it at that, but me being me, that wasn't going to happen. "For example, I'm willing to bet you and I will get together far faster than you and Derek did."

"Really?" she asked with a raised eyebrow. I relaxed slightly because it didn't look like I offended her, at least not yet. "What makes you think that?"

"That's easy. You're already half in love with me."

"Am I?" she asked with a laugh.

"Of course," I answered confidently. "Why else would you be here with me instead of wherever he is? I mean, by your own admission you loved him and yet here you are."

I could see the wheels in her head spinning although she refused to look directly at me for the moment. I'm not sure what she was thinking, but I could imagine. I didn't want to scare her away, but by the same token I needed her to understand the truth.

"Rebecca," I said grabbing her chin gently until she finally met my eyes. "Don't worry. I can wait until you catch up."

"Catch up to what?" Her soft grey eyes looked somewhat bemused as she pushed my hand away from her face.

"To me," I answered. "To what I'm feeling for you." She tilted her head as she looked at me as the truth started to sink in. Her grey eyes grew big. I think maybe she finally understood what I was trying to tell her, but she clearly was second guessing the obvious.

"And what exactly is that?"

"I did mention that I decked a sailor and kicked everyone out of my pub because of you, didn't I?" I joked. Rebecca didn't seem to see the humor in the situation. She continued to stare at me, waiting. I sighed to myself before saying what needed to be said. "Rebecca, I'm all in when it comes to you." Still she waited. I swallowed with some difficulty. It's wasn't that I had doubts about what I was feeling, but I'd never told a woman what I was about to say to her.

"Rebecca, I love you." I figured she'd either smile and think I was crazy or lose it and call me a lunatic. No one tells a girl he loves her the first day they meet, but I figured it was better to get it all out in the open. Obviously, I was hoping for the former reaction.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 56 milliseconds