A Father's Story

Sally smiled and said, "I agree with everything my husband said and like him I forgive you."

Lissa and Robbie added their forgiveness.

Tears were running down my face. I began to weep.

Debby came to me and took my hand and led me to the couch. I sat there with my five children, weeping, deep heart wrenching sobs.

I kept repeating, "I'm sorry...I'm so so sorry."

Robert began to speak, "Dad, as I said, you have done nothing that needs forgiveness. If you are guilty, you are guilty of loving. Loving our mothers. And we are the product of that love, as our children are the product of our love.

"I only hope that when my child...children (?) are grown, that I have the strength and the wherewithal to tell them of my love for their mother and her love for me."

I looked at the clock; it was 2:00 am.

Sally also looked and said, "I'm exhausted, lets go to bed."

We all got up and went upstairs, leaving the now warm, diluted drinks sat on the table untouched.

Sally and Terry went into the now correctly named, spare bedroom, Lissa and Robbie went into Danny's room and Debby and I went into our bedroom.

As we lay in bed, Debby had her head on my chest. She asked, "Feel better now that everything is in the open?"

"I probably feel better than I would if I had been run over by a herd of buffalo, but that's about it," I answered.

I could feel her laughter as she whispered, "You'll see it will be better in the morning."

"I'm sure it will be, Deb."

We fell asleep arms around each other.

Debby was right, the next morning was a lot better.

It was a crazy morning, the children were so excited about being together. Chrissy was like a mother hen with Danny, helping him into his high chair, bringing him his food; just taking care of him. Danny was eating up all of the attention that was being lavished on him.

Debby laughed as she gave Chrissy a hug, "Boy, will I miss you when you go home. Then I will have to start working again."

The only thing that changed with my children was that Sally was much more affectionate towards me. She would hug me a lot, touch my arm, my shoulder and hold my hand. She had called me either Terry or Dad, but now it was Daddy.

That afternoon, Sally and I were home alone, the others had gone to the mall. I was sitting in my chair looking at some bills. Sally came into the living room and put the papers aside and sat in my lap. She put her arms around my neck and nestled her face into my shoulder.

I had my arms around her. I felt her shake, like she was weeping. She held me even tighter and started sobbing.

I felt like my heart was breaking. I whispered, "Oh Sally, I'm so sorry."

She lifted her head and looking into my eyes said, "No, Daddy, I'm not sad; I am happy, so happy. Please don't feel bad.

She put her head down on my chest and continued, "When I was young, after we moved into the big house, I used to dream that you were my real father. I wanted you to be my "Daddy", like you were Terry's and Debby's and Robert's. Now that dream has come true. You are my Daddy and I love you so much."

"You have always been my Sally, my daughter. I love you my baby."

We sat in the chair and cried in each other's arms. When the others got back, we were in the kitchen starting dinner.

It was another noisy, rambunctious meal in the Matson house. I was in my glory. I enjoyed every minute, every scream, every laugh and giggle. It was wonderful.

After putting the children to bed, and going up to quiet them about a half dozen times, the six of us sat in the living room. Terry, Debby and I had bourbon, whereas Sally, Melissa and Robert had wine.

After talking about the day, Terry asked me, "Why now, Dad? Why tell us now?"

Debby interrupted, "That was my doing. You see, I have known for years."

Every one looked at me, "You told Debby, years ago?" asked Robbie.

Lissa hit him on the shoulder, "Dummies, Dad didn't tell Debby.

"I ask you, what is her doctorate in? G E N E T I C S...probably the first DNA she looked at was her own. Even an undergraduate in genetics would be able to figure out that Debby's mother and father were closely related.

"What I want to know is, When did you tell Dad that you knew, Debby?"

Debby was laughing, "About a year and a half ago."

Lissa turned to me, "You tell us about it Dad.'

I gave a sad smile (I was thinking of my Rachel, Sarah and Uncle Freddy) and I told them of everything that happened. About Rachel having a different sur-name than I had. About the Maryland marriage license. About all of the efforts that we took so that no one...absolutely no one could fine a familial connection.

All of that work, to be undone by a simple DNA test. To say that I was in shock was to say nothing.

Now the only one who didn't know was my son Freddy.

I then started to tell stories about Uncle Freddy. Mostly for Sally's sake. I wanted her to know about her "Father". How he loved her unconditionally. How her and her brother were the lights of his life.

I told them all of what he taught me and how I got home early for Christmas leave. But not what happened on Christmas leave. Hey, I have to have some secrets.

The rest of Terry and Sally's vacation was pandemonium, but the most fun I had in years.

The day came that we all took Sally, Terry and the children to Logan airport. It was so hard to say goodbye. There were promises to visit, after the birth of Robbie's and Lissa's baby.

Debby and I went home with our two boys. A family, Debby's and my family.

The next few months flew by. In no time Debby and the boys and I were on our way to New York City. Lissa was getting close to delivering her first child.

We all arrived on Thursday and Lissa went into labor on Saturday. It was a long (27 hours) hard labor. But at the end of it, Lissa and Robbie had a perfect, beautiful (again a completely unbiased opinion) baby girl, Laura Rachel Matson.

When Lissa came home with Laura, I was there. I held my grand child, my beautiful, lovely grand daughter, Laura

We stayed about two weeks. Then when Lissa was on her feet and was able to take care of Laura on her own, we went home.

Finally, Debby and I were able to settle down at home, with our boys. Life once again we settled into a comfortable rhythm.

I was back in the class room teaching and Debby was working from home. I made sure that I didn't have classes on Thursday, so that Debby could go into the office.

I really enjoyed my Thursdays, my time with my sons. I would spend the say playing with Danny, feeding and changing Joey.

By this time Danny was sort of potty trained. But he had a habit of waiting to the last minute to go. Then it was "DADDY POTTY...NOW." The race would be on.

Sometimes we made it and sometimes we didn't. What did it matter? It didn't.

For Debby and I life goes on.

*

More of the Matson family? Let me know. Your comments will decide.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 119 milliseconds