A Ghost of a Chance

Priyanka sat back and smiled, "Just wait."

Just then, a cascade of gentle piano chords floated through the air. Annie had been right, it was Torrey.

Cal's brother leaned into the microphone, "Ladies and gentlemen, we're kicking off the summer pop-up music series today with a little Soul... It's kind of a special occasion actually, because my sister will be joining us..."

"What the--" Annie's jaw had dropped open. Disparate thoughts collided in Annie's mind all at once: Where's Cal? Who was picking up the kids? Cal was going to sing? Cal had mentioned that she had sung with Torrey's band once upon a time, but had never -- even once -- sung in front of Annie. What did Pri know? What were they waiting for?

As Cal stepped up to the microphone, a couple of people near the band cheered. Cal smiled shyly and flicked some hair off her face. She nodded at Torrey, who began playing the cascade of chords again. The drummer joined in shortly afterwards. Annie instantly recognized the opening bars of a Carol King favorite. She gasped as Cal started singing.

Looking out on the morning rain

I used to feel so uninspired

Annie didn't know what to think. Cal was singing to her, in front of dozens of strangers...

Before the day I met you, life was so unkind

But you're the key to my peace of mind

And then came the refrain Aretha made so famous. For Annie, it was as if Cal was embracing her with her voice.

'Cause you make me feel like

A natural woman...

Cal took a deep breath, she was going to need to power through the next couple lines without crying. She knew her voice wouldn't hold if she gave in to the deep wave of emotion that was starting to swell in her chest.

When my soul was in the lost and found

You came along to claim it

I didn't know just what was wrong with me

Till your kiss helped me name it

Now I'm no longer doubtful, of what I'm living for

And if I make you happy I don't need to do more

Cal was looking straight at Annie as she sang. Torrey was loving every moment, jamming on the piano keys as he watched his sister sing. He knew Annie was behind him somewhere, and he allowed himself a private chuckle, knowing how much Annie hated surprises.

Oh, baby, what you've done to me

You make me feel so good inside

And I just want to be, close to you

You make me feel so alive...

A small crowd had gathered while Cal was singing, and people were cheering and clapping well before the song ended. Torrey ended the song with a flourish, "Callan Warner, everybody!"

Cal took a quick bow, and stepped back up to the mic, "Thank you so much. Thank you. Um, my brother's been trying to convince me to come back and sing with his band for a while now, and I kept making excuses why I couldn't do it. I forgot how good it could feel."

The crowd laughed. Someone wolf-whistled.

"I sang that song today for a reason," Cal continued, "I chose it for my love."

Annie's heart was tip-tapping along at breakneck speed. She couldn't feel her extremities.

"You see, I wasn't in a good place a year ago. Back then, I... I didn't think I could ever get to being in a good place." Cal wiped some tears from her eyes, "But I did! And it's all because of you, Annie Frye." Cal blew Annie a kiss.

"Right here! She's right here!" Priyanka pointed as the crowd started looking around. Annie turned crimson.

"Go -- go up to the band," Priyanka shook Annie.

"No," Annie shook her head, "Na-uh. Not going."

"You have to go. I'm supposed to tell you to go."

"ANNIE! ANNIE! ANNIE!" The crowd chanted.

Annie reluctantly stood up, "Pri..."

"I know. You're welcome. Just go!" Priyanka all but pushed her towards the throng of people.

Annie stumbled towards the stage, half oblivious to all the well-meaning pats on the back she received as she went. She kept her eyes on Cal... She just... literally... serenaded me in Union Square...

As she reached the stage, Cal reached one hand out to Annie and pulled the brunette up. The two immediately fell into each others' arms.

"You are going to pay for this, Cal Warner!" Annie hissed in Cal's ear.

Cal grinned, "I'm not even done yet!" She put her mic back into its stand, stepped back and pulled a ring out of her back pocket. The audience went berserk.

"Will you marry me?"

Annie grabbed Cal by her shirt with both hands and pulled her close, leaning forward for a long passionate kiss.

"Do the kids know?"

"They do now," Cal nodded towards the piano. Annie looked over and saw Adrian and Jamie jumping up and down like maniacs. May stood beside them, clapping her hands.

Cal held up the ring, "So, will you?"

Annie nodded, "Yes... yes, I will."

The crowd broke into cheers.

Cal slipped the ring on Annie's finger.

Annie tilted her head towards Cal and whispered in her ear, "Please tell me I get to steal you away for a little bit before our drive to Baltimore."

Cal grinned, "We aren't going to Baltimore. May and the twins are. We're staying here for the long weekend."

"The whole weekend? You, me, a bed and nudity?"

Cal smiled, "I was mostly focused on the nudity, but I guess a bed would make sense, yes."

Annie nicked Cal's earlobe with her teeth, "Then let's go..."

Cal looked around and pointed at the mic to a redheaded woman, "Here you go Janey, all yours!"

"Congrats you guys!" Janey grabbed the mic, "How about a round of applause for Cal and Annie?"

Cal took Annie's hand and the two of them jumped off stage.

Jamie and Adrian were little tornadoes of joy, "Were you surprised!!??"

Annie nodded, "Yes -- I can't believe neither one of you told me!"

Adrian bounced up and down on his toes, "I almost told you so many times, but Jamie kept kicking me."

"I did not! Mommy, can we have ice cream at Paw-paw's this weekend?"

Cal nodded, "If you guys eat all your meals without whining, then yes, just once."

"YES!!!" Jamie pumped her fists into the air, "C'mon, let's go!"

"Hey! Guys, give us hugs good-bye first!" Cal opened her arms.

The twins jumped on both women.

"We'll see you guys Monday night, okay? Please be good." Cal kissed her children before Annie did the same.

May hugged both Cal and Annie, "Congratulations. Now get going. Don't worry about us, we've got a massive weekend planned with these guys -- David had a couple buddies help him put together a treehouse. He says it's for the kids, but I think it's his fantasy man-cave."

Annie laughed. The kids gave them both one more round of hugs before skipping away with May, each recounting the proposal to the other.

Annie and Cal gave Torrey a big kiss on each cheek as he played the piano.

Torrey winked at them, "Go, be happy. I love you both."

The two women turned and started to walk away. Annie put up her arm to hail a cab.

"Belle, hold up..."

Cal lowered Annie's arm and shook her head at an approaching cab.

"Wha-?" Annie looked puzzled.

Cal grinned, "We don't need a cab..."

Annie tipped her head, totally confused, "We're going to be home alone for the first time since forever... cab's the quickest way there..."

"Our destination is closer at hand..."

Annie followed Cal's line of sight towards the northeast corner of Union Square, "Holy shit, Cal, that's a fricking five star hotel. That's..."

"We're worth it. Come on. And I have a score to settle with an old friend...."

Annie looked at her with curiosity.

"Portia Wyse. My friend from college, remember her?" Cal continued, "She said I ought to try having three marathon rounds of toe-curling sex in a hotel some time."

"Just three?" Annie lifted an eyebrow.

"My thoughts exactly."

The End

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 31 milliseconds