An Unexpected Reunion

Taking a seat she eyes me speculatively before delving in to the reason why she came to my office. I watch her talk quietly, nodding and responding when I knew I had to, but her words never sank in. My mind was still stuck on the elusive Lexie that had just stumbled into my office for an interview and how I was excited and terrified of seeing her again.

January 2014 -- Lexie

It's true what they say, karma is a nasty bitch. I've spent the last eight years hating myself for the way I left things with Callie, until six months ago when I met my now girlfriend Torie. I thought I was happy, settled even but after what happened yesterday. Jesus, why did I take the job? Why did she offer me it? When did she become so cold? My mind flits back to the words she spoke before I left and I shiver "I've spent the last eight years rebuilding what you broke. Of course I'm different."

Sitting on the sofa in my one bedroom flat I tuck my knees up to my chest and lean my head against them and begin crying for the hundredth time since coming home yesterday. I was meant to be meeting Torie for drinks last night but cancelled. I can't face her when I know for a fact the only person I'm going to be thinking about is Callie. She's still as beautiful as the day I met her, even more so probably. She looks so... accomplished, and a part of me is so proud that she's achieved everything she said she was going to. My mind travels back to the moment I stepped into her office and the way it felt when I realised it was her sitting behind the desk. It took me a moment to recognise her, but the moment the light hit her auburn hair my breath caught in my throat. When she looked up at me and I met her piercing blue eyes I felt like I was going to burst into tears there and then.

My phone rings and I groan when I look at the call display, I can't keep avoiding Torie so reluctantly I answer "Hi."

"Hey babe, do you want to go for drinks tonight or are you still feeling unwell?" Her voice is so warm and caring I struck with a sudden pang of guilt for my behavior.

"I'm still not feeling great." I realise how strained my voice is but she doesn't call me out for it which I'm grateful for.

"Well why don't I come over and we can order in and watch a film or something?" I don't want to see her, I can't see her. But at the same time I don't want to be alone.

"Yeah that sounds good. I'll see you later." I could practically hear her beaming at the other end of the phone and that made me feel even worse.

"Awesome, I'll be round about seven. Love you."

"You too." Hanging up I throw myself back against the sofa, I should never have said I love you back to her when she initially said it a month or so ago. I knew the instant the words left my lips I didn't mean it. I care for her deeply, but I don't love her and no matter how hard I've tried it just hasn't happened. I'm sure that given yesterday's events it's probably never going to happen either.

When Torie came over later that night she was equipped with pizza and wine, I'm grateful for her I really am. She's not just kind, funny, charming and intelligent. But she's beautiful in her own way. With dirty blonde hair and striking green eyes, there's no doubt she's attractive but I suddenly find myself thinking three things: Torie is perfect for me. Torie loves me. Torie isn't Callie. The last one shocked me a little and I initially found it difficult to keep up my front.

We spend the evening eating, talking and eventually watch a film. I can't concentrate on what's happening on the screen I just lie with my back against Torie's front whilst she has her arms wrapped around me. "Lex, is everything ok? You've been... distant tonight."

I fight the urge to roll my eyes before I respond, I'm thankful she can't see my face. It's easier to hide the truth from her this way "I'm fine, I told you. I'm just a bit under the weather."

"That's not it. I know you." Her voice is quiet when she speaks and I feel incredibly guilty for a moment.

"I don't want to talk about it." My voice is curt and I can feel her tense behind. Shit, I'm taking this out on the wrong person. With an audible sigh I turn so I can face her and rest a hand on her cheek. "Sorry. I'm a bit of sorts at the moment. But I mean it when I said that I don't want to talk about it, so just... don't push me on this Tor please?" I lean forward and brush my lips against hers. This seems to placate her though because before I can pull away she knots her fingers in my hair and brings my lips harder against hers.

Our lips move together fervently, I find my hands moving on their own accord to lock behind her neck and hold her to me. My body has always had a habit of reacting of its own initiative, going against the fact that my head is screaming at me that this is a bad idea. But I couldn't stop what I knew was about to happen "here or the bedroom?" Her voice has a humourous tone to it and I can't help but smile against her lips.

"Why not both?" I nibble on her lower lip and pull her back so she's hovering above me on the sofa.

"Woman..." She practically growls it as she begins pulling at me clothes, I can let myself enjoy this. I will let myself enjoy this. I let her make love to me fast and furiously many times, until she finally falls asleep next to me in contentment.

It's when she falls asleep that I find myself wracked with guilt again as I begin thinking about Callie, remembering the night we met. How she came up to me all cocky and confident, but yet there were moments when she looked at me and she had this endearing expression on her face. When she asked me out every rational part of me was screaming at me when I said yes that I was a fucking idiot. I'd heard all about how she was a bit of a player, how she didn't care about people's feelings and when my friends found out I'd agreed to let her take me out they chastised me for it.

Taking a glance over at Torie's sleeping figure I turn my gaze back up to the ceiling and let my mind travel back to our first date, part of me wants to re live each glorious detail of those beautifully painful memories.

I spent the rest of the evening we met watching her play, our eyes would meet and she'd smile knowingly at me and I could feel my insides clench. I left the bar before she could find me afterwards and began the short walk home alone, I didn't want to stay out with my friends so they could keep going on about how stupid I was to agree to go out with her. I didn't care, I feel like there's more to this person than she lets on. And I want to find out what that is.

The entire walk home I have my phone in my hand, watching for a call from her. By the time I get home and sneak up to my room I still haven't heard anything. I've resigned to the fact that she actually is as big a dick as everyone think she is and climb into bed disappointed.

I can feel myself dropping off when my phone buzzes on my bedside table alerting me to a text message, I reach out so quickly that I feel as though my arm is going to pop out of my socket. It's from a number I don't recognise and I can't stop the smile spreading over my face as I open it.

Hey beautiful, it's Callie. Sorry it's late we had to pack the gear up before we left and we've only just finished. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a disappointment when I realised you'd left without saying bye... where am I picking you up from tomorrow? I'll book us a table in the morning, is there anything you don't eat? Xx

I feel like my heart wants to fall out of my chest it's beating so hard, my face wants to split in two I'm grinning so hard. Without even thinking I type out a reply.

Beautiful? I'm not sure if that's your way of being charming or if you're just as full of shit as everyone keeps telling me you are. I figured you'd be busy so that's why I didn't stick around. Why don't I meet you somewhere? For all I know you could be a psycho and stalk me if I was to give you my address before knowing you first. I will eat pretty much anything you put in front of me apart from fish, because I'd die if I did. Xx

I chew on my bottom lip and stare at my phone screen until it lights up with another reply, the butterflies in my stomach are turning ten-fold as I open the message.

It's neither, just being honest. Do you always have a hard time taking compliments? In fact don't answer that I'll find out tomorrow. If that's what you want? I drive so I'm more than happy to pick you up? We can meet at a pub and have a drink before we go and eat if you'd like? I'll ignore the psycho comment. For now. Xx

Drinks sounds good, meet me at Joe's say at seven? We can walk to where ever after you buy me a drink. I don't have an issue with compliments, when they're true. I'm going to sleep or you'll take one look at me and run off in the opposite direction. See you tomorrow nerd. Xx

I set my phone on the side and try to ignore it when she replies but curiosity gets the better of me and I begrudgingly pick my phone up and read her response. It makes me laugh a little bit, she's got a good sense of humour I'll give her that. Her last three words though make my heart clench and I can't even stop myself from replying one last time.

After I buy you a drink? Jesus, here's me hoping you'd be a cheap date. I'll give you all the reasons you're wrong tomorrow. Babe, I don't run. Walk at a brisk pace perhaps, but not run. Sleep well gorgeous. It's sad how excited I am to see you again, definitely a first for me. Dream of me? xx

I think that might be a definite possibility. See you tomorrow. Xx

The next day drags by slowly, I spend most of the day hiding in my bedroom away from my parents. They'll notice how giddy and nervous I am and start asking questions and I don't really have that kind of relationship with them.

My phone's been ominously quiet all day, and I find myself checking it intermittently. I resign myself to getting ready, taking my time to pick out something to wear and doing my hair and makeup. I don't want to seem to eager but I'm finding it increasingly difficult. I settle on a plain black dress and some black heels, my hair falls in soft curls and my makeups simple.

Checking my phone one last time and seeing nothing I bite the bullet and type out a short message to Callie.

I'm just leaving mine now, don't be late. Xx

I walk quickly, smoking as I go. My hands are shaking and I feel a little bit sick, this isn't like me. I make it to the bar five minutes early and decide to stand outside. When I feel a gentle tap on my shoulder I startle a little before whipping my head round quickly to see Callie standing in front of me looking better than I remember.

Her hairs straight and hanging loose around her shoulders, she has a grey jacket on with tan trousers and a dark plain t-shirt. She's wearing glasses and I look at them speculatively.

"I didn't think you wore glasses?"

She raises her eyebrow at me sarcastically and shrugs "most people greet other humans with a hello or something. But yes. I fell asleep in my contacts last night and they were itching like a bitch this morning so I had no choice. You look..." her eyes travel up and down my body making me flush slightly as she looks for her words "incredible. Shall we get a drink? Tables booked for eight."

She takes my hand and I feel the same charge that was there yesterday and I'm led into the bar "shall I get a table?"

"Yeah, what do you want to drink?"

I grin at her and flutter my eyelashes a little, taken aback by my own confidence "surprise me."

Taking a seat at a table I watch as she high fives the bartender and gestures back to me after a second of talking, she catches me watching her and I'm sure she winks which causes me to blush. There's one thing that I couldn't deny about her, and that was she's very charismatic.

As she walks back over with two beer bottles in her hand she smiles warmly at me and places one in front of me "you were drinking this last night so I figured I'd go with what I knew you liked rather than taking a stab in the dark and getting it wrong."

"Beer's fine. Thanks." Taking a nervous sip, I almost spit it out when I feel her take her hand in mine again. I look down at our hands intertwined together and look up at her and raise an eyebrow "you're very forward aren't you?"

She tries to pull her hand away and I hold it tightly, I'm rewarded with a smile that makes my knees go weak and she shrugs "apparently, it's not as big a problem as you made it out to be. So... how's your day been?"

"Long. Part of me was disappointed I didn't hear from you at all."

She grins at me and runs her thumb along my knuckles, taking a swig of her beer she turns and looks at me thoughtfully "I must've typed like fifty messages to you today just to strike a conversation, but, I didn't want to jinx things tonight." For the first time since meeting her she looks shy and so earnest it takes me back a little bit.

"Well, you're doing well so far."

"Good to hear. So, Lexie... tell me about yourself."

I cross my legs under the table and my ankle brushes against her leg "there's not much to tell really. Only child, live at home with my parents, just finished my A levels."

"Any plans for university?"

I shake my head "no, well not yet. Maybe next year?"

"Why?" The bluntness of her questions stuns me for a moment and I stammer as I look for an answer.

"Well, my parents have suggested I not waste any time studying for a degree that may not prove viable when looking for a job in the future and end up in debt."

"Tell me to mind my own business but it's your life. Should you not be able to make that choice for yourself?"

"You're very blunt aren't you?"

She smiles and shrugs her shoulders not at all feigned by my disbelief "I've been told a few times."

"I can imagine you have, where are we going for dinner?" I try and change the subject, hoping to steer away from an uncomfortable conversation and she flashes me a wry smile, her eyes flash with a mischievousness and I feel my mouth go dry.

"There's this nice little seafood place I've been dying to try out..." I slap her on the shoulder midsentence and she winces slightly "first of all... ouch. I'm kidding, do you think I'd kill you before I got the chance to take you out again? I was thinking Italian... nothing says romance like garlic bread right?"

I can't help but laugh and lean against her briefly "well let's drink these and get going then."

Walking to the restaurant she keeps my hand held firmly in hers, our fingers are weaved together and there are times when I can her thumb brush against the back of my hand, sending electric shocks through my body. We make small talk and find ourselves sometimes walking in comfortable silence until we reach the local Italian. I'm impressed when she lets go of my hand and opens the door for me, guiding me in with her hand placed at the bottom of my back.

Inside she spots a waiter, apparently someone else she knows as he walks over and high fives her briefly before leading us to our table and takes our drinks order.

"Is there anyone in this town you don't know?"

"You apparently. A face like yours is one I'd remember." I can't help but scoff and roll my eyes at her remark and focus my eyes on the menu in front of me, silently praying she doesn't see the blush that's creeping across my face. "Why don't you like compliments? Do you not see yourself?" Her voice is soft as she speaks and I look up carefully, her eyes are narrowed as she watches me closely.

"Because they're not true." My voice is quiet when I reply.

She shakes her head and leans across the table to take my hand again "Lexie, you are single handedly the most beautiful person I think I've ever seen." When I begin to argue she holds her hand up and I shut my trap "please let me finish, I don't do this. I don't date. This is the first, first date I've ever been one. And even though I know you've heard bad things about me, and I'm not going to refute them. I want you to know me, the real me. And I'm desperate to know you."

I literally have no words, all I can do is squeeze her hand and smile at her "I want you to know me, I'm not as special as you think I am. You're right, I don't think I've heard any glowing reviews regarding your... relationship history. But there's something about you." I narrow my eyes and take a sip of the wine in front of me.

"Something about me? Do you care to elaborate?" Her smiles wry as she looks into my eyes intensely.

"Nope, I don't think your ego needs any more inflating. Maybe another time" laughing loudly, she gestures the waiter over to take our orders and we make more small talk. There's something about her that makes me feel comfortable. She's incredibly charming and funny, and I can tell she's more intelligent than she probably lets people realise.

"So do you do music at uni then? Because you were amazing last night." I'm surprised to see her blush slightly at my compliment and I giggle slightly "oh my god, and you chide me for not being able to take compliments."

"Alright, shush then." She laughs loudly and sips her water before popping a piece of pasta in her mouth "no I don't study music."

"Well what do you study then?"

"English Literature. I might not look like it but I am a proper book worm." She grins crookedly and I can't help but return it.

"No way, if I was going to uni that's what I'd be doing. Favourite novel?"

"Rebecca. It's so dark and twisty." She takes another drink, her eyes light up in a way I've not seen yet and it makes me feel warm inside. We talk about our love of books, she teases me when I tell her Romeo and Juliet is my favourite work by Shakespeare and I roll my eyes when she goes into detail as to why the movie industry should never be trusted to take a classic and put them on the big screen.

I admire her passion and her sheer determination when she's discussing a topic she cares about, and when she's arguing her opinion. The way she can go from being serious and focused to jokey in a heartbeat.

When the bill is settled and she's said bye to her friend we walk back onto the street hand in hand "I'm really glad I saw you again tonight, you're not at all like I expected you to be." She pulls me to a stop and looks at me intently.

"And what is it you expected me to be?" Her eyes look down into mine, she's a good head taller than I am and her close proximity to me is a little intimidating. I can smell her perfume, and see her chest rise and fall as she breathes.

"Well, I expected you to be brash and cocky. But I feel bad because you've been charming and considerate. I've seen a side to you this evening that I feel not many people get to see. You're so intelligent and passionate and... I'm rambling aren't I?"

She giggles and it's like music to my ears "yeah, just a little. But it's adorable. Come, there's something I want to show you before I unwillingly take you home. To your house, not mine... because... wait... now I'm rambling"

I tip toe and kiss her cheek softly "yeah, but it's adorable." She beams down at me and we begin walking to where ever it is she wants to take me to. We walk towards the beach hand in hand, it's cool out but it's refreshing after being sat inside most of the evening. The skies are dark and stars are beginning to show.

"This way..." She guides me towards a fence and I look at her in what I can only imagine is hesitation "trust me, just duck under the fence and follow me." She takes the lead and holds her hand out for me as I follow suit. She takes me a little further to a small cluster of rocks and takes her jacket off and sets it on one of the larger ones "I wouldn't want you to ruin your pretty dress, sit."

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 18 milliseconds