Anya Surprised

"Jannon, you have never given me a reason why you never told her how you feel. If you had, a lot of fighting between you two could have been avoided. Trust me, it hasn't been pleasant to endure. But this? This could cost you your life! You're going to tell me why you've kept silent, and I'm not going to take no for an answer!"

There were several seconds silence before he finally spoke. "I promised the Duke I would guard her with my life. He told me not take advantage of her, and not to present myself as a suitor. Until today, I have kept my word to him." Jannon looked through the window, scanning the street below almost idly. "He was right, too. I can not effectively protect her if I'm emotionally involved. The truth is, I haven't been doing a proper job of it for some time. Now, regardless of what Anya says, it's over. If my word is worth anything, you'll be her next Guard Captain. You're more than ready for your own command."

"Only because of your ruthless training. So the Duke picked you personally? What was your background before you entered her service? You must have been a knight."

"What I tell you is for friendship's sake. I was a Queen's Arrow."

"What? You worked for Royal Intelligence? But—"

"The Duke made the request, and the Queen saw fit to honor it. I was recommended, and released from my previous commitments." He looked at her sternly. "I can't say anymore than that. I gave my pledge to the Duke, and later gave my fealty to Anya in good faith. I must stress, Jaima, that my previous work for the Queen is not for public knowledge."

Jaima stood up and went to the window, digesting his words, Purge Knife still in her grip. "Lawgiver help you, Jannon. I'll sound her out first, but make no mistake, I will talk to her Ladyship." She looked directly at him. "And nothing – I repeat nothing you say will change my mind. I'd still follow you into the darkest pit, but considering all that you've told me and all that's happened, I am no longer bound by any orders you might give me.

"After all your years of service, you might have approached the Duke for a release from his restriction. Naturally, telling her Ladyship why you needed to speak to the Duke would subvert your orders. Too bad no one thought to ask her Ladyship her views. Despite her rank as the Duke's heir, she's an adult and has the right to be treated accordingly. If I were her Ladyship, I'd be sorely pissed once I learned the score. I know I am. Because tomorrow I might have to kill my friend." She stood to leave, the knife firmly at her side. "Tonight, I'm going to get drunk. Good night, Jannon."

"Thank you."

She stopped at the door, refusing to turn around, her voice catching. "For what?"

"Your friendship has meant a lot to me, too."

Jaima snorted as she started wiping her eyes again. "If I'd listened to wisdom instead of honor, I'd have told the sin-duchess how you felt a long time ago, or at least maneuvered you into admitting it. If I'd listened to my own feelings, I would have ignored all that and been inside your bed and had my way with you myself a very long time ago. I knew how you felt for her, and kept my peace. It seems honor binds us both. Yet for all the value I have given to honor, I'm learning it sometimes forces us to act like idiots."

She yanked open the door and stepped out, shouting in her barracks voice. "Boatswright! Find Gault! He's probably still in the kitchen. Tell that lazy bum to get a broom and clean up the Captain's office. Quick clean up only. He can sweep more thoroughly for glass tomorrow. Do not disturb the Captain unless he or the sin-Duchess say otherwise for the rest of the night. For that matter, unless we're under attack, don't bother me either. Anything comes up, go see Sergeant Whitestar."

Boatswright looked up the stairs, eyes glued to the knife she held. "Yes, Ma'am!"

* * * * * * * Chapter 5 * * * * * * *

The Black Stallion Inn was crowded. Even with Chanli leading the way, Anya was groped and felt up by several patrons suddenly needing to stand up and move close by. A couple of men hovered around, doing their ineffectual best to be suave. The air was thick with cologne.

Anya waved her hand dismissively, her eyes blinking in the fumes. "Maybe later, gentlemen. Right now, what I want is a private meal and something to drink."

The suitors moved away, only to be replaced by other hopefuls.

Exasperated, Anya muttered and brushed her dress, and blue changed to green, and the red sash faded to white. Startled by her change and the revelation of magical ability, they milled about, confused. Suddenly spying two nubile blue-clad beauties entering the premises, the men vanished.

The waitress took their order, and returned with a large pitcher.

"Finally," Anya sighed. Anya and Chanli filled their steins and drank heartily. The ale was good and ice cold.

"They must spend a fortune getting ice," mused Chanli.

"Their cooler and freezer are probably enchanted to stay cold. Like at home."

"Really? It must be a simple magic to do then."

"Hardly. It took me a week of intense concentration and casting for the freezer and another week for the cooler. I daresay it would have taken their caster about the same, and he probably charged at least ten thousand gold royals for the service." Chanli choked. Anya continued. "I want to apologize for yelling at you earlier. You kept me from making a fool of myself and probably a lot worse."

Chanli coughed, clearing her throat. "It's my–ahem, it's my job to keep you safe, Lady."

"So I'm told." Anya leaned forward. "Chanli, what do you think of me?"

"Lady?"

"Do you believe I'm a person of my word?"

"Uh, yes, Lady," Chanli affirmed cautiously, wondering where this was leading.

"I want your opinion, your honest appraisal. Please. Speak freely. Will you do that?"

Chanli wiped her forehead, wishing she were somewhere else. "Yes, Lady."

"Good. Are you happy working for me?"

Relieved, Chanli nodded vigorously. "Of course, Lady! You treat us well. Good pay, good food, good quarters. A dream ticket, my old sergeant would say. The Captain and Lieutenant keep me hopping, but I'm learning more than I ever did in the militia. Yes, Lady, I'm happy in your service."

"What about me, personally? Tell me honestly. If there's something you think I should hear, this would be a good time to tell me. And if it's gossip, you don't necessarily have to tell the source. Fair enough?"

Chanli looked at her thoughtfully. "I'm your sword, Lady, and I'll die to protect you if need be. I don't feel comfortable about this, but I'll do it because you want it. I've only been in your service for just over a year, but – well, you don't seem exactly happy. It used to bother me that you and the Captain fight all the time, but it was explained to me, so I was okay with it."

"Explained? Tell me. What exactly were you told?"

"That you and the Captain were either going to kill each other or – or ...."

"Or what?"

"Mate." Chanli couldn't meet her eyes, blushing furiously. Fuck like crazed rabbits trying to repopulate the entire earth was the phrase she'd actually heard. "It–it's not what I said, my Lady, honest, but I grew up around horses, so when I was told other things, it made sense."

Anya frowned. "Horses? What are you talking about? What things?"

"That the Captain has been with you a long time, and you used to be good friends. I grew up around horses. My family are herders. Young mares in their first heat. They get fussy and ornery, difficult to manage, pissing in front of the stallion to show their readiness. After the stallion gives them what they want, they settle down. They said once you two figured it out, you would get back to being yourselves and things would be normal again."

"I see. And what am I supposed to be like?"

"Happy, mostly. Begging your pardon, Lady, but the only time you seem happy is with your daughter. The others say you used to joke and laugh all the time."

Their meal of cold sandwiches and salads arrived. Anya casually took a bite, but her mind reeled. It was true, she realized. It had been a long time since she simply laughed.

Chanli was too nervous yet to do more than fidget with the cutlery.

"You've given me a lot to think about, so for now, you're off the hook. Eat. If you're still hungry after, order more. I know horses only a little. Soldiers on the other hand, have always been close by. I've a fair idea how much even a woman warrior can put away."

The young guardswoman started slow, but finished her meal and tentatively ordered a second sandwich.

Anya sipped her drink thoughtfully. When Chanli finally pushed her plate away, Anya dropped a gold royal onto the table and stood up. It was many times what the meal was worth. "Let's go. We might come back later, but right now, I need to check a few things."

Chanli grabbed her helmet, stuffing the unfinished round of nut bread into her wallet before hurrying after her.

Outside, Anya turned east along the main thoroughfare. Some blocks later, Chanli was surprised to see they were headed for the Temple of Osh Mayan, then shrugged, returning her attention to keeping her mistress safe.

Under the shadow of the huge columns leading to the temple, they wound their way through the steady stream of visitors. Once inside, Anya approached the front desk. The air was pleasantly cooler and smelled of sharp spice. After several minutes, one of the priests became available. Gold changed hands, and they found themselves in a private chamber.

Soon, a middle-aged priest entered and bowed. "You seek information? Tell me all you can."

Anya nodded. "There was a young lady I was supposed to meet this morning. She was targeted by an evil mage recently, and while I don't think anything has happened, I promised to look out for her today. A private matter delayed me, and I missed her. I want to know her condition, whether she's all right."

"Her name? Occupation? What can you tell me about her?"

"Dalinda Brightburr. Half-Elven. She is a governess for some friends of mine."

The priest mumbled and chanted while lighting candles and incense. After several minutes of supplication, he quieted. Then, in a slightly higher, different voice, he said, "She is safe this day, her goal achieved." After a pause, the priest took a deep breath and opened his eyes, his tone normal once again. "I hope that answers your question."

Anya pulled out her wallet, and selecting two gems, gave them to the priest, thanking him. He blessed them both and exited the room.

"At the end, why did he say that?"

Anya smiled patiently. "When the spirit takes him, the priest often doesn't hear what is said. They become a channel for a servant of the god, or even God Himself."

"Oh. Not something they could use just for themselves I'd imagine."

"I guess not. Since we're here, I intend to get a bath and relax. Some of the best masseurs in the city are right here in this temple."

They headed back to the main entrance, then followed the signs to the bath houses. As they entered the grotto, a priestess approached. Anya passed her a handful of coins, saying, "I want the full treatment. Sauna, bath, massage, the works."

Nodding, the priestess led them to a disrobing room. Taking the simple white robe from an attendant, Anya chided her guard. "Come on. You, too."

"Lady?" she squeaked.

"You heard me. The only thing more fun than getting spoiled is someone to share it with. You ever had a full treatment before?"

She shook her head.

"Well, then you're about to. Get undressed. Clothes in there." Anya pointed to the open wicker chest.

"What if I need to defend you? My Lady, Captain Fisher would have my head if anything happened to you!"

"We're inside the temple. Relax, Chanli. If anything could get through all the enchantments and the priests, I doubt you would make much of a difference. Now strip!"

"Can I keep my sword?"

"No weapons beyond this point," intoned the attending priestess firmly. Several novices entered the chamber. One gave Anya a disk on a necklace inscribed with numbers, then joined another to carry out the chest containing Anya's sandals, dress, purse, and sunhat. Matching numbers adorned the wicker chests. Anya placed the necklace around her neck. Another pair waited for the unhappy Chanli to finish before giving her a similar robe and necklace.

Once in their robes, the priestess led them to a nearby sauna. Outside the door, they hung their robes on hooks. When they entered, several of the women inside glanced up, then resumed their chatting or simply closed their eyes in the heat.

To pass the time, Anya asked Chanli about herself, where she was from, where she grew up. Chanli, Anya learned, was a younger daughter, born and raised to the east, among the rolling hills of Zashandi near the coastal city of Portsmouth. Not interested in getting married right away, she had traveled to the capital and signed up with the militia, and found that she liked being a warrior. With four years of patrol experience and her commander's recommendation, she was considering the regular army when she learned about an opening in Anya's household guard.

"At first I thought of passing it over, but my sergeant said you and Captain Fisher had good reputations. He also said the captain would teach me things I might never have the chance to learn. And he has."

Anya chuckled. "Indeed? It's nice to know I have a good reputation. What sort of things are you learning?"

"Healing, martial arts, and practice with a variety of weapons. I'm always learning something new. Captain Fisher is deucedly good with a long sword. He says there are some who are better, but I've never seen them."

Anya observed, "You like Captain Fisher."

"Yes, Lady."

"Why?"

"May I speak freely, my Lady?"

Anya waved her hand. "Of course."

"Does this have something to do with this morning?"

Anya stiffened. "What makes you say that?"

"You were really angry when we left. You have told me twice now it's okay to speak my mind, so I will. If I make offense, just tell me and I'll apologize and be quiet. Did you two have another fight?"

"You might say that," Anya hedged.

Chanli shook her head sadly. "He's a good man, the Captain is. He works us hard, but he's fair. And you're a great Lady. I'm proud to serve you. It's not right that you two fight all the time. I surely hope you get it resolved soon."

"So do I," Anya said quietly.

"My Lady?"

"Never mind. Come," Anya said, standing, "let's go to the bath. You're in for a treat."

Retrieving their robes, they exited the sauna and followed the signs through several corridors to a large chamber, with the number eleven in large numbers outside the door. The walls of the bath were covered in a continuous undersea fresco. Several benches and a few tables of polished marble edged the room.

The bath itself was heart-shaped, fully three meters wide at the center and five meters in length. A ladder with hand rails descended into the water on the rounded ends, while at the apex a huge, meter-long erect phallic fountain overhung the pool's edge. A heavy stream of bubbling water gushed from the crown before spilling into the bath. Barely discernable beneath the moving water were built-in benches. The bath could easily hold a dozen people. And sometimes did.

The novice entered the room and bowed. "Will you be desiring attendants to assist you?"

Anya saw Chanli staring at the huge stone phallus, and shook her head in amusement. The attendant grinned back, and after setting down fresh towels on a table, left them alone.

Hanging up her robe, Anya descended into the frothy warm water, settling down with a sigh. When Chanli didn't follow her in, she looked up. "What's the matter? I thought you'd been to baths before. And surely you were here during your own Rite of Passage."

"I've been to public baths before, Lady, but never here. The temple in Portsmouth is not so grand as this. I have never seen one that bubbled so much. Why does it do that?"

"Besides the main source, water from several other pipes keeps the bath full. There are drains near the top to keep it from overflowing. It is cleaned, reheated and supplemented with fresh water. The excess goes elsewhere. I'm told it took over a year to lay all the pipes." Anya stretched out to increase her buoyancy, enjoying the hot water caressing her body.

Chanli stepped in and sat near Anya. For several minutes, they helped themselves to the soaps and bottles of shampoos and cleansers, washing in silence, luxuriating in the heat. A light breeze from a top vent kept the air from being too warm and humid. Anya used a soft brush on the young woman's back, then waited her turn. Chanli suddenly yelped.

Anya frowned, turning back to her. "What happened?"

"Something touched my thigh. On the other side of me."

Anya chuckled. "Ah, you've found the secret of the temple baths, and a major reason for their popularity. There are some others as well, at different levels. You have to move around to find them, as they aren't all at the same height or even the same angle. Some use the pressure of the jets to massage. Others use them for pleasure. A few stay in until their skin is completely wrinkled, until they can no longer stand, and the attendants literally have to lift them out."

"What do you mean, Lady?" Chanli looked puzzled as she scrubbed Anya's back.

"You can use the jets to masturbate."

The young woman looked dubious.

Anya pointed to the other side of the pool. "Next to that dolphin mosaic is a good one. It comes up from the bench itself. Not too forceful, but steady. A little rocking of your hips is all you need. There's a couple of other good ones next to those seahorses over there."

"How do you – oh." She turned away, her face scarlet.

"Yes, I've been here before." Anya rinsed off and climbed out. Chanli rose to follow, but Anya shook her head. "You stay. Enjoy this treat. Try it out. I won't leave until we're both done, I promise. When you are finished here, one of the priestesses will bring you to me."

Chanli considered protesting, but the firm look in her eyes quelled it. She sank slowly back into the water. "Yes, Lady."

Anya dried off and slipped on her robe, then deftly wrapped up her long blonde hair into a towel. "Good. Enjoy yourself, Chanli. Someone will be by to check on you later."

Once outside, Anya looked down the hall to the large wall clock. Nearly two bells. Beside the door on the wall was a large frame, within which was a large circle mimicking a clock. Small hooks were on the hours and half-hours, and held two tags, a green one with the word "start" and a red one with "finish" on it. She moved the red tag from two bells to three. Attendants making the rounds would leave the room alone until then, but no longer. From past experience, she knew they carried their own tally sheets, and longer than two hours required a safety check.

She followed the hallway, nodding to those she passed. Anya soon came to the central lounge, a large room decorated with all manner of statues and base-relief carvings of river and ocean animals, and murals of lush ocean and riverine shores. Overhead, by means of mirrors, daylight from outside was directed down into the subterranean room, making it light and cheerful. Dozens of people relaxed on couches and pillows, some snacking or drinking while they chatted. Others simply dozed or read.

Like herself, most of those present were wealthy, and almost as many were landed nobility as well. She knew many of them by name or at least reputation, and most of them knew her as well. Like some private resort, the relaxation lounge inside the fertility god's temple was a place to exchange pleasantries and even business. A lot of negotiations between the Great Houses were conducted in this very room. Those who didn't know Anya mistakenly thought that here in the capital, they could ply her for influence at court or for favors at home. They soon learned otherwise.

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy
  • /
  • Anya Surprised
  • /
  • Page ⁨4⁩

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 12 milliseconds