Celestial Matters

The walls glowed red as the symbols sunk into the old timber ... and disappeared from view.

I shut the door without looking back, I refused to believe that I wouldn't see her again. Normally facing one Angel would not have me so worked up. Maybe it was because I was trapped here ... yes that had to be it.

I walked back into the common room. Jon was sitting next to the fire, drinking from a tea cup. The jewelry bag rested on the table.

It was a simple rucksack, with coarse draw strings and a burn mark along the edge. It looked like a peasants feed bag. I moved to sit down. I avoided the chair Maria and I had just made love on ... somehow it didn't seem right.

"Is everything in place?" I asked.

Jon nodded, and untied the string on the sack. With the utmost care, he poured the contents onto the table. Gold coins, rings, and bracelets spilled out of the bag and onto the inns weather worn wooden table.

"I checked for all the items you told me to look for, I don't think I missed any," Jon said.

I gazed out amongst my treasure hoard.

"Are you ever going to tell me why these trinkets are useful? Other than their obvious monetary value?"

I smiled, "These 'trinkets' are the culmination of my collection of magical objects throughout the last eight centuries."

Jon smiled at me, "This is it? A few bracelets a couple rings and this neck band? I hope these coins have some magic powers, otherwise this is a pretty pitiable collection."

"Quality not quantity, Jon" I said. "These are the things that are going to save us."

Jon raised an eyebrow, and drained the last of his tea, "Does that mean you have a plan Master?"

I grinned, "Yes dear Jon, I do have a plan ... though it's a bit more complicated than you might think."

"Oh?" Jon said. "So what did you have in mind?"

I pointed to a silver ring that lay on the edge of the table. "Let's start with that," I said.

Jon picked it up and held it against the light of the fireplace. It twinkled in the orange glow.

"Now what?" he said.

So I began to tell him.

-------

-Maria-

"Maria ... Maria..."

Cariel's voice wouldn't go away. It resounded melodiously across my darkened prison. I ignored her ... instead I focused on my chains. They were made by my Master ... as symbol of his love and they helped to keep her influence at bay.

"Strange that you say his chains are a symbol of love?"

"Stay out of my thoughts!" I yelled.

"I'm going to fight him tonight Maria, and I'm going to win."

I had to be brave ... I had to show her no fear.

I laughed into the darkness, "You'll never beat my Master ... he loves me."

Cariel sighed, "I know ... and that is why he will lose. He won't kill me, not when I tell him who I am. Then when he hesitates, I'll strike my blow. I'll cut his heart from his body, and set it aflame."

I trembled slightly ... she sounded so sure of herself.

"Whatever information you have that will help you won't work ... your plan will fail and my Master and I will be happy together!" I screamed.

There was an eerie silence ... and my angry voice echoed across the dark prison my Master had placed me in.

"It hurts me to hear you so against me ... I've done all this out of love and concern for you," Cariel said softly ... almost as if she couldn't understand my fury.

I laughed again, "The first time I met you, you acted like you couldn't be bothered to help me. The second time you scared me and tried to force me to do something I didn't want to do. And now that we meet again, you tell me you want to kill the man I love!"

I clutched my chains tighter. Maybe now she would leave me alone.

"Maria?" Cariel's voice whispered. "Do you want to know your real name?" Her voice quivered with emotion ... almost like I had really upset her.

"My real name is Maria." I said haughtily. I was determined not to let her show of emotion affect me.

"That is the name an old nun gave to you after you were left on Earth," Cariel said. "You were given another name, by your real family."

"I don't have any family," I replied quickly.

"But you do ... you do. And Maria is not the name they gave you."

I wanted to know my real name ... but I didn't want Cariel to be the one to tell me.

"How do you know this?" I asked with a shaky voice.

"Because I was there during the naming ... I was there when you were brought into this world."

"Just go away," I said. I drew my bound legs up to my chest and shivered.

Cariel pressed onwards, with a new vigor to her voice.

"I'm going to fight ... and I'm going to win. I will win your freedom for you ... and when you are free, your mind will be cleared," Cariel drew an audible breath, "You are trapped in the demon's spell, but I can show you how to see our battle. I can teach you the words that will allow you to see me strike the demon down."

I tried not to listen as she listed the words for the spell ... but I couldn't not hear. The words in the Angelic language took up residence in my head as if they'd always lived there.

"Just go away," I repeated softly.

Cariel sighed, "Very well ... I go ... but I will never abandon you ... Alarial."

-------

-Devnik-

"I still don't understand why we don't just use this ring and get you out?" Jon said testily.

It had taken longer than I thought it would to explain my suspicions ... and my plan.

I sighed and repeated myself patiently, "The ring only works for the wearer, and once you put it on it doesn't come off."

Jon slammed his palm into table, "So you wear it!" Jon yelled.

I shook my head. "No, if all goes according to plan neither of us will need it. This is just a precaution ... in case I'm wrong ... or I can't win."

Jon sighed, and slipped the silver ring into his pouch. "There are too many things that could go wrong here. Too many assumptions."

I sighed. Jon was not a strategist. He was a knight at heart, and not much else. Honor, bravery and all that business were the things he liked to rely on.

"Trust me Jon, I've had more foolhardy plans than this yield success in the past."

Jon held up his hands, "I'll follow your lead Master," he said. He reached over across the table, and started scooping the items we wouldn't need back into the bag. He left the silver ring and the neck band on the table.

I reached over, and picked up the thin golden ring. It would fit snugly over a human throat. It opened on a clasp that allowed it to be removed. Glittering runes that had been carved into the side glowed a dull green.

"I didn't even know such things were made sir." Jon said as he peered at the neck band.

"Magicians and sorcerers make them to control supernatural creatures." I said. "I took this one off a Angel after I killed him. I never did find the magician that wanted me dead."

Jon shrugged. Lots of people wanted me dead.

"Are you sure you know how to use it?" Jon asked.

"As sure as I can be without actually trying," I said pointedly.

"I see," Jon said sadly. We both looked out the window. The moon was positioned perfectly. It gazed directly through the window, adding its milky light to the fireplaces orange hue. I could feel the cold seeping in through the uneven window panes. Cariel would be coming soon ... and I'd have to hope that things would go as planned.

"Master," Jon said slowly. "If we somehow get separated again this night ... I'd like to say ... take care."

I nodded. "We meet in Ireland, don't forget that."

-------

Midnight stole across France that night.

The dark trees settled into a predictable sway, as the cool breeze frolicked through their green leaves. Our fire died away once more, but neither Jon nor I could find the strength to rise and tend to it. Our little common room grew dim and smoky

Time seemed to slip away, as if it were running away from me. Several times I found myself thinking about Maria, bound and hidden in the broom closet. I wanted to check on her ... I wanted to hold her ... but I did neither. I needed to focus.

Jon had unsheathed his sword, and was sharpening it mechanically across a piece of whetstone. I didn't tell him that Gloria would not help him in this fight; no matter how sharp he made her.

"Do you think she's coming?" Jon asked, breaking the uncomfortable silence.

"I can sense her," I said calmly.

I had been able to sense Cariel for the last ten minutes now. She was flying slowly and low to the ground. She was conserving her energy.

Jon nodded, he was familiar with my abilities. "How far away?" he asked.

"Ten minutes," I said standing up, "Maybe less."

Jon nodded again, and stood with me. He slid Gloria noiselessly into her sheath.

"Stand in the door frame, watch the fight ... but be ready to grab her and go should things turn ... sour."

"Are you sure I cannot help?" Jon asked for the third time this night.

"I'm sure ... old friend," I opened the door, and greeted the brisk air with a smile. It was a wonderful night. Cold, dark, with a hint of wind ... the warmth of the sun had long since abandoned the earth ... and that meant the Dark could come out to play.

I inhaled deeply, and left Jon standing on the threshold.

My boots crunched lightly on the crisp grass. In the distance I could see Cariel's winged form gliding on the faint wind. The perfect night for fighting ... for howling my defiance at the Light ... for thinking it could take what was mine.

-------

I stood patiently in the center of the dark field.

Her winged figure passed effortlessly through the ring of holy water. She fluttered down to the Earth. A few white feathers drifted away from her Angel wings as she began to hover just above the ground.

I didn't move ... but I watched. The tiniest observation about my opponent could turn the tide of battle.

Cariel was dressed in a simple white tunic that was split so that her legs could move freely. She folded her wings to her back and they disappeared.

Cariel dropped out of the air, and landed silently on the grassy field.

She had flame red hair and bright silver eyes. Her face was angular and classically beautiful. I had never seen her before ... but I knew her to be Cariel ... the one who had caused trouble for us since the beginning.

Her place of landing was about twenty yards away from where I kept my silent vigil. My cloak billowed in the wind.

She began to approach. Her fiery hair blew in the cold wind ... and blue sparks flickered around her body. She had summoned her power ... ready to defend herself upon a moment's notice.

"Good evening, Cariel, Seraphim of the Second Sphere," I said politely. "You've become quite a nuisance."

Cariel crossed her right arm over her chest and grasped her left should. She gave me a proper heavenly bow that an Angel gives to a superior, "Good evening to you Lord Devnikolus Prince of Destruction and Undoing, it is an honor to finally meet you. Your reputation precedes you."

I inclined my head gently. We stared at each other for a moment.

"Perhaps I can persuade you to withdraw Seraphim? You surely cannot expect to defeat me?"

Cariel smiled, and dropped the faux politeness that I had tried so hard to maintain. "I don't believe so demon ... you've stolen from the Light, and I've come to retrieve her."

I adjusted the ruby clasp upon my neck, "Ah yes, I was wondering why you are the only one to confront me. Why is the Legion not battering down the doors? Why hasn't Michael come himself if he has pledge his help to your cause?"

Cariel kept smiling, "I think we've talked for too long demon ... you assume that I cannot challenge you alone? We shall see."

She waved her hand in an intricate motion, and pulled her sword from the ether. It was an bright silver sword with golden runes that slithered up and down the blade.

I was mildly surprised that she wanted to draw swords so quickly. Usually a standard Demon and Angel battle involved thrown spells and hand to hand combat before their swords of power were drawn.

I extended my arm, and grasped my sword from the ether.

-------

-Maria-

I said the words over and over again ... the words that would let me see my Master.

"Seithi rei"

"Seithi rei"

Nothing happened. Maybe Cariel had lied ... maybe I was just muttering nonsense to myself ... but still as a member of the Light she shouldn't be able to lie.

Master always had his pretty sparks at his finger tips ... that was his magic. But I had never heard him say funny words like Cariel had told me to do. Maybe I need my own sparks ... maybe then I could use the words to see my Master.

-------

-Devnik-

She moved at a predictable speed. She was fast, but as soon as she charged at me I knew she was not my equal.

Her feet were light on the grass, and faster than a mortal could blink, she lunged her silver sword at my throat. I lazily flicked her sword away with the flat of my blade, and brought my leg up in a swift kick. I hit her sword hand and heard a satisfying crack, as her fingers broke.

She didn't drop her sword ... she didn't even wince. She brought her free hand up and threw a spell at me. Blue sparks rushed at my face ... the power behind the magic was impressive. I ducked and twisted my head out of harm's way.

She whipped her sword around in her broken hand and attempted to slash at my chest. My sword was too far way to use for a parry ... I was forced to catch it with magic.

Cariel's sword stopped abruptly ... inches before my exposed chest. Her sword hit a wall of red sparks and bounced off. The spell took far more energy than it should have. Those golden runes must have been wards to prevent magic from being used against her weapon. For my protection spell to be effective I had to use more power than what was put into the wards.

Cariel was obviously shocked that I achieved such a feat. Her mouth hung open ... and fear crept into her eyes for the first time.

"Enough!" I shouted. With a mighty wave of my arm, I used a spell to repel her. I felt a brief resistance ... another ward no doubt ... but eventually my spell cut through her protection and blasted her back. She toppled end over end until she collided with a tree.

The old oak groaned as the weight of the Angel upset some of its roots.

I eased my ready position slightly. I couldn't help but begin to pant. Those spell had taken more out of me than I thought.

Cariel sprung to her feet. Blue sparks rushed to her sword hand, and her mutilated fingers clicked back into place.

She stepped back toward me, her sword once more raised at the ready.

"You cast a numbing spell upon yourself foolish Angel?" I asked in disbelief. Numbing spells were incredibly dangerous ... they might give you an advantage in the short term ... but your body could fail you at an unexpected moment ... simply because you don't know where its was hurt.

Cariel nodded, "It almost worked too ... you didn't expect me to keep fighting after you broke my hand."

I grinned. The little Angel was a strategist like me. It dawned upon me that that entire attack was planned in its entirety ... the cut to my chest was supposed to be the fatal blow.

"You didn't count on that last stroke missing did you?" I asked.

Cariel fixed her eyes on me ... she was watching the center of my body ... just in case I was trying to distract her with words.

"I didn't expect you to have so much raw power. Three Angels pooled their magics to create the wards on my sword and tunic."

I grinned, "Please, your flattery will give me a big head madam."

Cariel scowled at my return to faux politeness. She reared back her hand and tossed another spell at me. I didn't move. The ball of blue angry sparks passed harmlessly to my left.

"You're not a very old Angel are you?" I said mockingly.

Cariel spun her sword and leapt at me.

"Old enough to kill you!" she screamed.

Her attack was clumsy. I dodged the obvious feint and blocked the real strike that was aimed at my legs.

I spun my sword and managed to knock hers from her hand. It spun in the air and landed with a small thud on the field. Her eyes grew wide as she realized what had just happened.

I smiled at her ... and moved faster than she could see.

My hand closed around her throat, and I lifted her from the ground. She blanched and choked.

Her wings suddenly emerged from her back ... and she tried to flap away. With her free hands she aimed ill conceived and harmless spells at me.

I didn't bother to dodge ... I just let them bounce off my protection spell.

I drew on my own power, and sent red sparks coursing down her body.

Cariel screamed in excruciating pain.

Her cries echoed off the forest and throughout the clearing. Her wings faded from her back ... and she fell limp in my hand. She opened her silver eyes, and glared her defiance at me.

"Do you think you've won Demon?" Cariel spat.

I smiled.

"Yes little Angel ... you are bested." I said softly. I dropped my black sword ... it turned to smoke ... and vanished back into the ether.

She spat in my face, "So what do you think you're going to do to me? Dig a hole in the ground? Bury me alive? Kill me?" Cariel asked bitterly.

I shrugged, "Perhaps," was all I said.

That seemed to infuriate her further.

"I don't know how well Maria will take my death." Cariel said.

I smiled ... just as planned.

"Oh?" I said in mock surprise, "Why should Maria care if I kill you little Angel?" I asked.

Cariel grinned at me.

"Because I'm her sister."

-------

Celestial Matters

His laughter boomed out into the brisk breezes of the early morning.

It wasn't the laugh of someone who had heard a jest they found amusing. It was a peal of triumph.

He wasn't taking the news like I thought he would. I expected confusion, then comprehension. I expected to strike during that hesitation.

This was supposed to be my chance I tried to twist vigorously against the grip he had on my throat ... but I couldn't move. My legs swung uselessly in the air. I wanted to scream, but I didn't have enough air in my lungs to make a sound. Slowly his laughter died out and the clearing once again grew silent.

The breeze rumpled my red hair, and blew it into my eyes. I trembled slightly, suddenly cold. Being under this demon's control made me feel small ... powerless.

I looked down at his feet.

With my limited air I managed to whisper, "What's ... so funny?"

He chuckled again. With his free hand he placed a finger under my chin, and tilted my head up.

I gazed into his unholy eyes.

They were red. The color of blood ... the color of sin.

But that wasn't surprising, he was a creature born of sin to live in sin.

His cloak rustled gently in the dying airs of the early morning.

I tried to steel myself ... no matter how much he might wish to ... I still didn't think he would kill me if it would upset his precious Maria.

Devnikolus released my throat, and I tumbled to the ground.

The grass felt cool and was wet with dew. I just wanted to lay there ... for a while ... and forget about this foolish quest.

Devnikolus' melodious voice came from somewhere above my head. "That spell will keep you limp for quite some time little Angel ... long enough for me to explain why you should never have come here this night."

I moaned lightly on the ground.

"There there Cariel," he said mockingly. "All is not lost. You were correct about one assumption; I will not kill you ... even though you richly deserve it."

Devnikolus looked even more imposing from my place on the ground. His beautiful face and terrible red eyes were all I could focus on.

The demon waved a hand lazily across the air. Red light illuminated the nighttime darkness. I watched incredulously as a table and stiff backed aristocratic lawn chairs sparkled into existence.

He bent down, and reached under my armpits. He scooped me up gently, and deposited me on garden chair. I tried to order my body to lunge at him ... I had a knife hidden in my tunic ... he thought himself safe. If I could overcome his paralysis spell I could kill him ... I could win.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 11 milliseconds