Dig Two Graves Ch. 03

Kristy looks at me expectantly. I smile and applaud internally. It's damn near to what I would have done.

"Without surrendering any of my rights as afforded to me by company policies, I agree with your proposal. I assume that someone can escort me to my office so that I can remove a few personal possessions that I may have need of over the next few days?

Hinckley begins to say something but Kristy quickly says that will be acceptable. She looks down at Tom and he nods. "Mr. Weston will serve as your escort."

The meeting is obviously over and I pick up the package. I glance once at Kristy and wink. She doesn't respond but I do see the faintest trace of a smile in the corner of her mouth, but the tiny smile doesn't hide her misty eyes.

I leave the room first and step to the side. I watch as they all leave silently and go their separate ways. Last to exit is Tom. He looks at me and just sighs.

"You warned me Tom," I respond, putting my hand across his shoulder as we stroll back to my office.

Monday – 9:31 AM

"Mr. Vickers, if you would follow me please?" I take a heavy breath and stand, following the receptionist back through a double set of doors that have Sutter, Klein and Gambino, on the door.

Susie sent me a text message just prior to entering my office this morning, telling me that the meeting will be held at our family lawyer's office. Normally having a meeting with a lawyer would be considered a bad thing, but Vicky has been a friend to both Susie and I for years.

I give her a warm smile despite the fact I would like to bitch slap her and the three or four people I've met so far. No one pays any attention to me as I walk past cubicles and desks on my way back to Susie's Vicky's office, yet I can feel their stares and hear the whispers behind my back.

The receptionist leads me to a frosted glass conference door. I push open the door and walk in, spotting Vicky sitting next to Susie on the opposite side of a table. Two empty chairs are on the side closest to the door.

"Have a seat Jake," Vicky Gambino tells me. I slide the cushioned chair back from the table and sit down slowly, perhaps a bit slower than I really needed to.

"Is your lawyer close behind you?" She asks.

I give her a puzzled look and then glance at my wife who immediately looks down. "Well Vicky, first of all it's nice to see you. Second, why do I need a lawyer?"

Vicky looks taken back and then leans slightly forward toward me. In a softer voice she says, "Surely you're not going to represent yourself Jake?"

"I need representation? Susie called me last night and told me to be here so we could talk. She initially tried to get me to meet at her office but I had to remind her about the TRO and that I wasn't going to violate it. I was surprised when she sent me a text message this morning that we would meet at our family lawyer's office but I then considered that to be a good thing. Despite the pain and betrayal I've suffered lately I would like to see if we can still work something out. I'm beginning to suspect that maybe I've been too optimistic."

Vicky looks at Susie. "You didn't tell him?"

"I told him to be here at 9:30 AM so that we could have a discussion. I can't help it if he inferred anything," Susie says without any emotion.

"You didn't tell him that ...?" Vicky stops herself in mid speech and looks miffed. She recovers and says, "I see, in that case perhaps we should reschedule."

"I think we should continue," Susie says. "I would like to get this over with."

The intent of the meeting is more than clear now. As they say "my momma didn't raise no dummy". But I've taken so much shit the past few days that I've had it and I'm not going to take anymore. If this is the end, then I'm going to go down swinging.

"Susie, in case you were wondering, I'm feeling much better now than Friday by the way."

Susie turns a shade paler.

"Jake, Mr. Vickers. If we are to continue this meeting you will have to refrain from speaking with Ms. Vickers. I will have to ask you to direct your conversation toward me.

"Vicky, nothing personal ma'am, but blow it out your ass. After what Susie did to me Friday night she's lucky she's not being brought up on criminal charges. In fact that is still a distinct possibility."

Vicky was taken back at first by my outburst and then looks over at Susie. "What happened Friday night?" She asks.

I look at the two of them and then laugh. "You didn't tell her?" I say to Susie. "Well, aren't you something! You don't tell me the real reason you wanted this meeting, you casually don't mention to your own lawyer than you're keeping me in the dark, and now you're also holding back critical information from your own counsel?"

"What happened then is not germane to our divorce."

I sit back now that the ugly word has finally surfaced.

"You don't think unlawful restraint and assault, for starters, won't make any impact in any court proceedings?

"Susie what haven't you told me?" Vicky pesters.

"I'll tell you later OK?" She responds miffed. "Let's just get this over with."

Vicky gives a glance at Susie and then focuses her attention toward me. "Mr. Vickers, apparently you now seem to be aware of the purpose of this meeting," she pauses with another side glance toward Susie. She slides a sheath of papers across the desk. At the very top was a suit for divorce filed just after 9:00 AM this morning. I just stare at the document, not wanting to touch it.

I look back up at Susie. "I can't believe you're doing this," I finally get out with half a sob. "Hell, I motion at the papers, the ink's not even dry."

"Jake, I can't possibly live with you after what you've done to me. What you've put me through."

"What I've done to you? Are you kidding me?"

Susie doesn't respond. She looks as if she would rather be anywhere else but here.

"I didn't do it Susie."

Her head snaps back and she glares at me. "I'm so fucking tired of hearing that shit Jake. How can you continue to lie?"

"Because I'm not!"

"Jake, we have proof!"

"Then it's fake because it never happened. And why is it I keep hearing about all this proof yet no one has shown me any of it?"

Susie just glares at me and then rips a manila folder off the top of a stack of papers in front of Vicky. She slams the folder on the table. "There's your fucking proof you asshole."

I look at her for a moment and then turn my attention to the folder. I pick it up and slowly open it. On top is a two page legal affidavit. I scan through the first page, which basically states that I forced my admin assistant Heidi Bevis to have sex with me on multiple occasions. The second page contains only a single paragraph describing how I need to improve in my organizational skills so as to become a more effective leader. The second page also has Heidi's signature and was notarized. I examine Heidi's signature and have to admit to myself that it looks like hers, as well as her initials on both pages. I set the affidavit to the side and find myself looking at eight 5" by 8" glossies of Heidi and I having sex in a motel room. I gasp in surprise. I can see why someone might jump to conclusions but surely anyone that knows me, or Heidi for that matter, would realize we would never be doing this.

I look up at Susie, her eyes drilling holes into me.

"I don't know what to say," I finally manage to get out feebly.

"I can't believe you were so stupid to have taken pictures."

"I didn't take any pictures."

"Well you're fucking stupid anyway. I can't believe you cheated on me. I can't believe you would treat that poor woman like you have."

I look up at her. "You want to know why you can't believe it? You can't believe it because you know it's not true."

"Jake please don't waste my time, look at the pictures."

"I can't explain it. But I didn't do this. Give me some time please. Don't rush into anything. Dammit, if you don't believe me think of Heidi! And don't think I didn't see that look in your eye Friday night when I mentioned Heidi's name! Do you think for a minute that she would do this? Do you think I would let pictures be taken like this? Do you think Heidi would?"

"I'm through Jake. I know better than anyone how well you can spin a story. I'm tired of your tricks. I'm tired of your lies. I'm tired of our life together. I don't want to spend another minute with you."

"Mr. Vickers," Vicky says forcefully. I glance over at her, making no effort to wipe away the tear running down my cheek.

"When you have looked through the documents you'll find the proposed settlement is quite fair. Because there are no children we will not have to be concerned with any child support payments. Ms. Vickers prefers not to have any type of relationship with you after the divorce, so she will not be seeking alimony. The settlement merely asks that your combined estate be split evenly. The settlement will also include your severance pay from your firm. There are a few items each of you will wish to take and that can be accounted. We're hoping this is in agreement and that we can go forward with the divorce quickly."

I look at Vicky and actually pity her for a moment. What a terrible situation to be put into. How does one be an attorney and friends of a couple and then have to side with one against the other? I bite my lip and fold my hands for a moment, staring at the table.

"I didn't do anything. These pictures have to be some kind of fake. The affidavit has to be some kind of fake. Heidi would never sign a document like that even if it was gospel. Where did you get these anyway? Who gave them to you Susie?"

I look to her for help, to throw me some type of bone. She suddenly looks away and I knew.

"You got these from Schmidt didn't you?"

She doesn't respond.

"When? When did he give you these documents?"

Susie sighs. "Thursday afternoon," she finally says. "He came to my office and showed them to me."

"Wow, you didn't waste any time did you? So my arch enemy suddenly shows up and hands you this shit and you believe it hook line and sinker? You know damn well he and I were vying for the same partnership position and I had him beaten. His only chance would be if I'm discredited or driven out of the company? You trust doctored up copies handed to you by Schmidt? Have I given you any cause to distrust me? You don't have even a shred of doubt?"

Susie looks at me for a long moment before answering. "No Jake, I don't have a shred of doubt. Tim didn't show me doctored up copies. These copies," waving her hand on the photographs scattered on the table, "are copies I had made for you. No, Tim didn't show me copies, he showed me the negatives. I even called in a favor and had the negatives looked at in the forensic lab. The negatives have not been touched up. They haven't been doctored. They are not a forgery."

I sit back stunned. "How can this be?"

"I would like to see the negatives."

"Why Jake, I had them examined discreetly. You have cause to doubt me now?"

"After Friday night, I sure as hell do. Besides it's not you I'm calling into question it's the negatives. Surely you don't mind if I have the negatives tested by my own expert? Our marriage, my career, hell my life are on the line Susie. Surely you can see that?"

"How do I know you won't destroy them?"

"Why would I do that when I need them to prove my innocence?"

"And what are you going to do when they don't"

"They will. Besides, let's say I can't prove they're fakes. What's the harm of letting me try?

Susie glints at me for a moment before reaching over to the stack of papers and grabs the top quarter of the pile. I watch as she rifles through the pile until she gets to one large envelope. She peeks into the envelope, looks at me, and then tosses the envelope across the table toward me.

"I expect them back undamaged. If anything, maybe this will finally get you to admit your affair. Better yet, why don't you return them to Tim?" She says coldly.

"How cozy you're on a first name basis." I glare back at her. "Schmidt is obviously part of this setup, but as quickly as you spread your legs for him, I'm beginning to wonder if you're part of this whole thing."

"You son of a bitch!" She yells. "I'm not the one that cheated. Anything I may have done with Schmidt was revenge, you bastard! Anyway who says I've been with Schmidt? A soon to be ex-husband with an agenda to smear a poor betrayed wife?"

"Are you forgetting I was there Friday night when you ambushed me? I was an eyewitness to the same adultery you accuse me of in this divorce decree."

"Of course you were at the house Friday night after your plane arrived. But I certainly wasn't. I spent the evening at a friend's and she's willing to state that if necessary. I have no clue where Schmidt was but I'm guessing he can also verify where he was. I did hear through the grapevine that you went to the hospital. I hope it isn't anything too serious?"

"You got to be kidding," I gasp. It takes all my training as a lawyer not to explode. But just as I'm about to reply, suddenly something Vicky said earlier reruns through my mind.

"By the way," I turn and ask Vicky. "How do you know anything about a severance offer?"

I look back at Susie. "That offer was only made this morning at 8:00 AM in a confidential meeting. There's no way you should know about any severance package."

"I do hope your statement doesn't imply you will try and hide assets Mr. Vickers." Vicky says.

"That's not the fucking point and you know it Vicky," I look back at Susie. "How did you get this confidential information?

Susie just smiles. She's not looking away, hiding her head or anything else. She's looking directly at me and smiling.

"Tell me dammit," I insist. "Something you're ashamed of?" I goad.

She glares at me. "I'm not ashamed of anything except loving you these past six years. You know exactly how I found out. I got the information from the same person as I got those pictures."

I sit back and sigh. She says that with such smugness. Even when I prove this is all a farce, I have to wonder if there is any hope for us. With a heavier heart I turn and look at Vicky. "Please note what your client just said Vicky. At some point in the future I may need her to say that again under oath. And if she refuses, I'll call you to the stand."

"Jake you know you can't call her to the stand because of client – attorney privilege!"

"I'm willing to bet that privilege won't hold up if challenged. She won't be testifying to anything that has to do with you and any charges. She'll only be testifying as to where the information came from.

"I think we're done here," Vicky says suddenly.

"No we're not. I have three things to discuss. First, if this divorce does go through, there's no way in hell we are going to equitably divide all of our combined incomes. The house, for starters, is in my name only and belonged to me prior to the marriage. We all know that in this state, property owned prior to a marriage wouldn't be considered part of marital assets."

"But adultery on your part changes the equation Mr. Vickers," Vicky says calmly. "And we have proof of your complicity."

"Hypothetically, even if I committed adultery, I doubt that would change the equation. Besides, adultery on Susie's part would make that all even wouldn't it?"

"That would be something you would have to prove and apparently you have no proof," Susie replies smugly.

"You stupid bi...," I strain to stop myself. Calming myself, "did you ever stop to consider the type of man you have let between your legs? Schmidt has made no secret he's wanted to bang you for years. Now that he has you think he's going to keep quiet about it? Jesus Christ Susie, I bet two dozen people knew about Friday evening before the weekend was out," I reply sadly. "Susie, Schmidt is not a nice guy. Don't you see that he set all this up to get at me? You're just part of the prize."

I glare at her for a moment, shocked that she just can't see how Schmidt has conned her.

"Anyway," I continue. "Secondly, as I look at these pictures, you do realize that someone had to take these pictures? Who do you think that someone may be?"

"It's called a tripod with a remote trigger Jake. What else do you want to discuss."

I sigh. "Third, you completely cut me off from all our assets, credit cards, car, clothes, shelter, fuck Susie ... everything! You dumped me at ..." I shudder trying to regain control of myself. In a calmer voice I continue. "You dumped me with just a sack of rumpled clothing. We can argue over the next few days about the bank accounts, but I need my car, my clothing and my personal items. And I need them today. Or do I need to go to court? You know I have a few friends that wear black robes too!"

Susie grimaces and sneaks a look at Vicky who again looks miffed. Susie reaches down and picks up her purse. Reaching inside, she pulls out a set of car keys and tosses them to me. I look at them recognizing my keys.

"Space D37 in the parking garage across the street," she says. "Inside your car you'll find your toiletries and an assortment of clothing. You can speak with my lawyer about arranging for a time when you can be supervised to remove your personal things from the house. Now, you said there were only three things, anything else?"

I look at her wondering if she had always been this cold. Has she always this vindictive and vengeance oriented, but I had never been on the wrong end of it?

"I just want to know what reasons you have for going forward with this divorce and not even talking to me about it."

She nods to the table. "You're looking at both reasons."

"So the affidavit and the pictures? This is the sum total of your reasons for divorcing me?"

"Yes. You and I have had our differences but I think we could have worked our way through them. But I can't stay with a man that cheated ... I mean ... cheats on me."

"So if I prove both of these are false, you'll drop the divorce and we can talk about reconciling?"

"Jake, please! Give it up! Why don't you just admit it to yourself that you fucked up and we can move on?"

I get up and move toward the door, the anger welling up within me and taking control. I turn with my hand on the doorknob. "I didn't fuck up Susie, except for maybe loving you too much. I didn't sleep with Heidi. I can't explain the pictures yet or why Heidi signed that document ... but I will. Count on it. I'm going to contest this divorce. Count on it."

I open the door and will myself to shut it quietly behind me. I quickly stride down the hallway back into the reception area. I glance around the area to find every pair of eyes focused on me.

Under my breath I mutter, "Why don't you just take a picture, it seems everyone else has."

Chapter Four – It's Darkest before Dawn

Monday 10:46 AM

With a bit of hunting and using the remote key opener, I find my car in the parking garage. I shouldn't be surprised to see garbage bags in the backseat and the trunk. All were stuffed with clothes, even my suits. Driving out of the parking garage, I still can't get over how much has happened in just a short period of time. I can't understand how she can throw everything away without taking any time to at least confront me. I have to admit the pictures look damning. And I can't believe Heidi signed that affidavit. I know there has to be something else going on and I need to find Heidi soon to figure out what it may be.

But what am I going to do now? The plan I put into place last night has been blown to smithereens by the severe setback I encountered in the office. If it wasn't for what Dad told me about Green, I wouldn't have the foggiest idea what to do now. I have to admit to myself I'm stunned and not at all sure what I am feeling or what I want. I keep thinking this is all some big mistake. Somehow I'm still flying home Friday afternoon and this is all some kind of nightmare from which I'm going to wake.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 51 milliseconds