Falsely Accused Ch. 06

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A few moments later, Teresa exited the tea house, and gasped. The open space in the tea garden had been transformed. Eight tall banners of the Troy Clan surrounded the space. Inside it was a podium with a large metal bowl. Mariko and Laura were by the podium; Mariko in a white kimono with navy blue patterns of the Takaki insignia, Laura in black, wearing a gold necklace with a gold and red-enameled Clan Troy insignia.

Watching from the front entrance outside the circle were Todd Burke, Teddy Franklin, and two Japanese men, all wearing white kimonos with navy blue Takaki symbols. Todd also wore a dark blue overmantle vest, and he was wearing swords.

Mariko led Teresa to the left side of the podium as one looked from the front, and me to the right. Modern technology was used; Laura injected a small amount of lidocaine into my left palm. I then took my short sword and used the tip to cut a small slice in my hand. I held my hand over the metal bowl on the podium, letting my blood drip into the bowl.

I then passed the short sword to Teresa, formally, and after the lidocaine was applied to her hand, she made a cut and let her blood drip into the bowl with mine. Laura then took the metal icon from her necklace and put it in the bowl, then added two more such medallions with the six red diamond petals. Mariko poured some saké into the bowl, which had some lighter fluid mixed in. Then a long stick match was lit from a nearby torch and used to set the contents of the bowl on fire.

After the fire died out rather quickly, the medallions were removed and dried off, and allowed to sit for a moment to cool. Laura took her medallion out, reattached it, and put it around her neck. Then she took a gold necklace, attached a medallion to it, and put it around my neck. She then prepared a third necklace, and handed it to me with a bow. I stepped up to Teresa and put it around her neck. Teresa and I bowed to each other, then we bowed to the others, and the ceremony was over.

Teresa was in tears. "This is... this is the first time I've truly had family since the night Alexis died... my first marriage wasn't a family situation... Amy's time with us was so short..."

"Amy's Spirit is with Clan Troy." I said. "Welcome to your new family." Teresa hugged me, and I returned it.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We went to The Cabin to celebrate as my hired workers cleaned up the Buddhist Center. Laura had secured the porcelain cups, and Teresa would be presented with the one she'd used, while mine would go back to its honored place next to the tea caddy and my swords in my office in The Cabin...

"Where's Cindy?" Teresa asked. "And is she part of the Clan of the Crowbar?"

We were on the deck of The Cabin, drinking hot saké and cold green tea. Todd and Laura were with us, as was Chief Moynahan and my mom, who had kept kids and had their own in-house supper date.

I had resolved to get a fire pot like Chief Griswold's for the deck, but it wasn't here yet. So we were in the dark, looking over the twinkling lights of the Town. I love this view, I thought to myself.

"She and Callie went to her father's compound for the weekend." I said. "As to her status, she's family... but she declined to become part of the clan. In the clan sense, she's part of her father's 'clan', though it's not a clan like the Oda Clan and the Takaki Clan in Japan, and the Troy clan here."

"I love the insignia you created." said Teresa, looking at the icon on her necklace. Then she said "By the way, I was meaning to bring this up: I don't believe for a minute that Cindy didn't really believe Peter Gordon was guilty, no matter what she did at Chief Griswold's request."

"Why do you say that?" I asked. I noted Laura peer at Teresa.

"She's my best friend, and soul sister." said Teresa. "Cindy and I have spent more time together than we spend with our respective families. We talk together, eat together, complain about our bosses together..." The Chief and I laughed at that one.

Teresa continued: "So when we were arguing and she said she thought Peter Gordon was guilty, I believe she was telling the truth. She thought he was."

"She did get pretty into it, until the Press started trying to use her against me." I said.

"I'll take it up a step." Teresa said. "When Jenna was kidnapped, Cindy was beside herself, and almost broke down when it was confirmed that Jenna was brutalized. And Cindy was upset when Callie was kidnapped, though Callie came to no harm."

"But this case," Teresa said, "really got under Cindy's skin. Having Peter chained to the table in the Interrogation Room was not part of Chief Griswold's plan; that was Cindy's doing. And she gave the D.A. the information very willingly and before you could stop her, Don. She wanted Peter indicted."

"I don't disagree." I said. "So what are you getting at?"

"And her childhood..." said my mother, getting it.

"Yes, ma'am." Teresa said. "Cindy said she dated guys in Canada, then became a lesbian. And she's not bisexual; she does not have any sexual interest in men. At all. Now she may have become a lesbian anyway..."

I was dumbfounded as I caught on. "Are you saying..." I started.

"I don't know for sure," said Teresa, "and I'm not asking. But I just wonder if Cindy acted and reacted the way she did... because she herself was date-raped when she was up in Canada."

"And learning all those martial arts... so something like that could never happen again." I said as things fell into place. "You think her family knows? I asked. "Her mom's story and Molly's story have never suggested that."

Laura said "I don't think they know. But Dr. Eckhart... well, it explains a few things about him, too. I think Teresa might be right."

"It could also have been an unsuccessful attempt to rape her." said my mother. "But the psychological effects would be the same... as well as her learning the martial arts. That's a very valid point."

"Yes, that is indeed Iron Crowbar thinking, there, Teresa." I said. "I may never get the red crowbar back if you keep this up."

"No sir, that is yours." said Teresa. "And like I said, we'll never prove it. I'm not asking..."

"Neither am I." I replied. "And Laura, and Mom, if either of you know or find out, I don't want to know. Ever. At all."

Part 30 - Cleanup on Aisle 5

Monday, September 18th. Cindy and I headed to Laura's office in the Psychology Building in my Police SUV. As I parked, I looked around warily. There were no groups of students. There were men in suits, wearing sunglasses and nearly invisible ear pieces. The deduction was easy to make: the Deputy Director of the FBI was in the house.

Going to Laura's office, we were admitted by her beautiful assistant Laurie. Inside the office, three men and Laura rose to greet us. One was Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone. Another was the Deputy Director.

The third man was wearing a full three-piece suit with vest, not unlike what the Deputy Director often wore; I suspected a thin layer of kevlar was in that suit. The man himself was tall and lanky, and like the DepDirector, I could feel the aura of power emanating from him, reaching out to capture my mind... and I felt Cindy's mental resistance. Hmmm, I thought to myself...

The man was introduced as the Executive Assistant Director of the FBI's National Security Branch. Laura said "I've known him for many years, and he was the EAD for the FBI's Science and Technology Branch, my counterpart in the FBI. He's one of the 'good guys'." With a voucher like that from my wife, how could I not trust the guy? I thought to myself.

"Good to meet you, Commander." said the EAD, his voice not loud but strong and confident. "I am extremely impressed with the work you have done in this State the last few years."

"Thank you, sir." I said, shaking his hand. "This is my Captain of Detectives, Cindy Ross." Cindy shook hands with the man as he complimented her record, as well. It was obvious that he'd read up on us.

Laura had us all sit down on the two sofas. The EAD and DepDirector had instinctively taken the sofa whose back was to the windows, putting them in shadow and me and Cindy in the light. Jack sat beside them, and Laura beside me.

"What this is about," said the Deputy Director, "is that before I retire, officially at the end of the month, but in reality at the end of this week, I wanted to introduce you to Jack's new boss, and also tell you of the plans for Team Lazarus."

The DepDirector said "It is obvious to the FBI Director and others at his level that Jack's team is not an ordinary one. Their experience, and some of it working with you, has given them a level of knowledge and ability that most of our teams just don't have. So they're going to remain a separate, special unit, as they were under me, and they will work on special projects of the highest priority to Washington."

"I'm glad they're not breaking up Team Lazarus." I said.

"That will depend on one very important thing." said the EAD. He held up two FBI Consultant badges, and you do not need to be the Iron Crowbar's mother to figure out that my and Cindy's photos were on them. "They need the very best Consultants working with them. I want you back working with Jack and his team."

Jack knew his future depended on our answers, at least my answer, and he said "It's like Vito Corleone, Don." He was reminding me of the favor done in arresting Kendra Luskin before I'd had a chance to smash her head in with my crowbar.

"You're making me an offer I can't refuse." I said in a gravelly voice. I took the FBI Consultant badge from the EAD. Jack looked considerably relieved.

"Miss Ross?" asked the DepDirector. Cindy was looking conflicted.

"What happened to Dana Fox?" she asked. If the EAD was surprised by her question, he did not show it. Perhaps his vision was a few steps ahead of mine... like my mother's always was.

Jack's voice was derisive as he said "He's been transferred. He's now working on the legendary 'UFO team', and mostly from Alaska and California."

"Why wasn't he fired?" Cindy asked. "One of my Detectives's father-in-law was beaten nearly to death----"

"I'm going to have to ask you to accept that Fox was not actually behind that," said the DepDirector, "though he was pushing the investigation into Professor Milton, and crossed some lines in doing so." Cindy looked at me. I just looked back at her and shrugged.

"There is one other thing that I have a problem with." Cindy said. "Calling my father a 'subversive', investigating him illegally without warrants, and hounding him for years. I knew my father long before I knew he was my father, and I have seen what a good, kind and honest man he is. And I've learned a few things about 'loyalty' and 'honor', especially over the last month."

Cindy then looked the EAD straight in the eye. "So 'no'... I'm not going to come back to the FBI as a Consultant, not right now. I think Jack and his team are great people, but my level of trust in the FBI overall is not too good right now. I've imagined what I would've done if it had been my father beaten the way Professor Milton was, and I'm not convinced it won't happen to my father going forward. Prove me wrong, and maybe I'll reconsider in the future."

Jack was looking worried again. The DepDirector nodded thoughtfully. The EAD looked over at Laura, who said "You've got my husband back, at least. That's a deal worth taking."

"She always was smarter than me." said the EAD, to me.

"That's why she married this man, sir." said Cindy, pointing her thumb at me. The EAD nodded.

"I'm the lucky one on that one." I said, taking my wife's hand in mine. "Well, sir, keep Team Lazarus intact, and I'll consider who might be a good consultant to succeed Captain Ross, though she's irreplaceable."

As we left, I shook the DepDirector's hand. "Have a great retirement, sir." I said. "Check in on Chief Griswold from time to time... he'll teach you everything you want to know about fishing, and more."

"Thank you, Commander." said the DepDirector. "And I'm going to miss working with you and Jack and his team. And thank you for taking out Superior Bloodlines..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Do I even need to say where Jack, Cindy, and I ate lunch, while Laura took the DepDirector and EAD to the Cattleman's Club? And do I even need to say what Jack ordered?

"I understand how you feel, Cindy." said Jack, after polishing off his second double-cheeseburger. "But I do hope we'll get you back one day." Cindy nodded but said nothing, as her face was full of fish and chips at the moment.

"So what happened to Luskin?" I asked.

"Once she realized we had the proof to put her in prison for ten years or more," said Jack, "she pretty much confessed to everything... all the false rape and sexual harassment accusations, including a few you didn't find out about, as well as some other things she did."

"Why did she do what she did?" asked Cindy.

"I'll bet you this lunch that Don can tell you." said Jack.

"And you get to pay, Jack." I said. I turned to Cindy and said "I'm working on the proof with Jack and his team, but we're not quite there yet. I do know that Luskin was working for U.S. Senator Samuel Russell on a lot of things. Peter Dwayne Gordon's father is a big Russell supporter, and was bitterly angry at his son for working on Conservative campaigns like Bill Nunn's and Val Jared's. I'd say it was Peter Gordon working for Jared that got Lawrence Gordon worked up, and therefore Russell had Luskin set up Peter. And in the case of some of the others... Tate, Stevens, et. al... they also supported Grassroots Conservatives or Russell's political opponents, such as Stevens supporting Zack Millner. The only one I haven't figured out is Quint Danielson."

"Luskin said Russell was directly behind that one, too." said Jack. "But she said she didn't know why. She just did as she was paid to do, and set him up."

"Wow, a father hating his son so bad that he would do that." said Cindy. "Even Teresa's father didn't treat her that badly."

"Until the night Alexis died." I replied, remembering Teresa's story of her father's ugly words on that Christmas Eve.

"Well, Don," said Jack, "did you realize how close my team was to being broken up when you were asked to come back to us?"

"Yes." I said. "And I considered saying 'no', then getting Martin as my MCD Lieutenant. But you did arrest Luskin, despite a lot of people wanting the whole thing to be dropped. And we've been a pretty good team all these years. Like Vito Corleone says, we might be doing each other favors for quite a while." Jack chuckled and nodded.

"I have one question." said Cindy. "Who is the guy you said I knew when you told that story to Parker?"

I smiled. "Your dad didn't tell you?"

"He said it wasn't his secret to tell." Cindy replied. I noticed Muscone thinking, then suddenly get it.

"I think I know." Muscone said. "Few men like him work for free... unless they feel something personal about it. And Eddy the Bounty Hunter not only worked for free on this case, he gave us a lot of information about Luskin."

"That's Iron Crowbar thinking, there." I said. "Here, hold this." I handed him the red crowbar. Cindy gave me one of 'those' looks as she realized the answer to the riddle.

"Damn, this does feel good in the hands." Jack said as he examined it. "I see why you carry it. Can I use it on Cindy to get her back as a Consultant?"

"Takes very special people to beat me with that Crowbar." Cindy said. "And they already have." She was referring to me and Teresa in the past two Police Boxing Matches. "Anyway, Jack, give it time, and show me I can trust your organization again..."

Part 31 - Epilogue

U.S. Senator Samuel Russell and Town Councilman Thomas P. Cook came into the dark inner room of the building north of the City, very near the State Line. The chair behind the desk at the far end of the room turned, and the woman looked at them with disgust and contempt in her eyes.

"You failed." she said.

"Ma'am," said Cook, "we tried. We did what you said, but---"

The woman held up her hand, stopping Cook's words. "I gave you," she said, "an excellent plan, a brilliant plan, to destroy both the Iron Crowbar and Governor Val Jared... and you two somehow managed to totally fuck it up."

Russell and Cook stood silently, wondering if their deaths were imminent.

"So!" said the woman, "we will just have to make a better plan, and I will have to use more competent people to implement it. As for you two... Cook, you have real estate dealings to make. I'll take 50% of your profits, and consider yourself leniently dealt with. Now get out of here." Cook turned and left. Quickly.

"Senator," the woman said once they were alone, "we have a really ugly mess now. It's going to come out about BigAgraFoods, and your involvement in the cover-up of Wheeler's death. You're going to be fighting for your political life for the rest of your term."

"Do you want me to resign?"

"Hell no!" the woman snarled. "Jared would appoint a Grassroots Conservative to the Senate in your place. Once we get rid of him, then we shall re-evaluate your worth to us in your current position. In the meantime, get some good, really good lawyers. Now get out of here."

Russell also quickly exited, feeling lucky to be left alive... and knowing the woman might change her brilliant mind at any time. He also realized that his position as a Senator, and as a living person, might depend on Val Jared remaining Governor... oh, the paradox that karma was setting up for him...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Wednesday, September 20th, 11:45am. I came up to the small house in the old subdivision in the northern part of Town. Some houses had already been demolished. A bulldozer sat ready to take down the one where a crowd was gathered, including some Police.

The house had been condemned under eminent domain, the second-worst flaw in the United States Constitution (the worst is a lack of meaningful term limits upon the United States Congress). Thomas P. Cook had bought the land of the entire subdivision under some sketchy circumstances, and he was going to build apartment complexes, enriching himself greatly. The old woman that lived in the house was evicted, ordered by the Court to be out by noon today.

Several members of the Veasley Community Center were here to take their friend to her new home. One of them had called Cindy when the bulldozers arrived early and were going to take down the house before noon. Mr. Davis had wheeled his wheelchair in front of the bulldozer in a final stand, even though Mr. Davis was visibly very ill. Cindy had brought me along.

"This is an outrage!" shouted old Mr. Davis as he sat in his wheelchair, shaking his fist at Thomas P. Cook, who was laughing, all of this being recorded by a KSTD news camera. "You're a dirty bastard, Cook!"

"What are you gonna do about it, you old coot?" laughed Cook. He stopped laughing; indeed, it became silent everywhere, when a red crowbar suddenly appeared in front of his chest, followed by the large man holding the crowbar getting between him and Mr. Davis.

"He's going to watch me beat the living shit out of you." I growled at Cook, my eyes boring down into his. It is possible that the KSTD camera was experiencing 'technical difficulties' at the moment.

"Go ahead, hit me." said Cook. "It'll be all over TV."

"And it'll make me very popular." I replied. "Now get your worthless ass off this property----"

"I have a Court order, Troy!" Cook shouted. "At noon, this house is going to be razed to the ground, whether or not that old bitch is still in there!"

"Captain Ross!" I called out.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 182 milliseconds