Falsely Accused Ch. 06

"Sir!" said Ross.

"What time is it?" I asked loudly.

"Eleven-fifty, sir." said Cindy.

"I'm going to execute this warrant personally, Captain." I said. "If Cook or any of his construction people step onto this property before noon, you are authorized by me to shoot... them... dead. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes sir!" Cindy said enthusiastically. Cook backed off to the street, knowing that I meant it and that she would do it. I turned and went inside.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The home had belonged to Lewis Grissom, a combat veteran of the Korean War, with the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star among his many medals. As I entered, I saw his widow in the living room. The house was empty, but the old woman had waited until the very last minute to take the last of the framed photographs off the walls and the fireplace mantle.

"Oh, hello Commander." she said as she saw me come in. "I was not expecting you. It's very nice for you to come personally."

"It's my honor, Mrs. Grissom." I looked at the top photo in her hand, a photo of the Grissom's at their wedding, her in her wedding dress, him in the uniform of an Army Sergeant. "Your husband was in the Korean War, wasn't he?"

"Yes, he was." the old lady said wistfully. "He was one of those that held out at Chosin after the Chinese entered the war. He and his men saved Korea. And he survived, but his feet were frostbitten very badly. For years, when he'd take off his work boots at the end of the day, his socks would be soaked in blood. I washed a lot of socks... and knitted a lot of socks, too."

She looked around the house, sadness in her eyes. "He built this house for us with his own hands. We raised our children here. I never thought... that I would outlive the house."

"Where are your children?" I asked.

"Ah, they're in Boston and Cleveland." said Mrs. Grissom. "I didn't tell them about this... they'd just get upset, and there's nothing they can do about it..."

After a moment of silent contemplation, I said "I'm sorry, ma'am, but it's time to go."

"Yes." said the old woman. I carried the pictures for her, and she took my arm as we went to the door. As we came onto the porch, the old people gathered gave her a round of applause. She'd held out as long as she could, but could not overcome the power of Government hell-bent on destroying her home to help enrich a dirty businessman.

Mrs. Grissom was helped into a car, and at 11:58am was driven away to her new lodgings in the retirement community where several of the other old people lived. Everyone began dispersing, except for Cook, the construction crew, and the KSTD News team.

"All right, guys," I said to the Police Officers waiting and watching solemnly. "You can go." They went to their cars as Cindy and I went to my SUV. As we got there, I heard voices, and turned to see Thomas P. Cook and John Hardwood, laughing and joking.

"Uh oh." said Cindy. "I've seen that look on your face before."

"Cindy..." I said, feeling righteous anger welling up inside me, "I don't care how long it takes nor what I have to do. But I am going to take that son of a bitch Cook down. I'm going to find something on him, and I'm going to put him in prison... if it's the last thing I ever do..."

Finis.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 65 milliseconds