Fire in The Hole Ch. 01

Part 8 - Depths of Depravity

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Fox Two News!" shouted the redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, August 20th, from in front of City Hall. "Our Town & County prepares for a visit from the Governor as political chaos rages across the State!"

"First, let's go to Tim Sioban of KSB in the City for news about Republican U.S. Senator Russell. Tim!" said Bettina.

"That's right, Bettina!" said Tim Sioban. "Several people took videos of Republican Senator Russell in an altercation with Police outside his daughter's apartment complex last Saturday night." Grainy video of the altercation was being shown as Sioban spoke: "While no one got enough audio to be able to tell what was said, sources tell KSB News that the two women seen on the videos are believed to be SBI Inspector General Britt Maxwell and SBI Reserve Captain Cindy Ross, seen here wielding her trademark green crowbar." A still shot showed Cindy with the green crowbar in her hands.

Sioban continued: "City Police subsequently showed up just as Republican Senator Russell and his security personnel left. The City Police reports that Ruby Russell, Senator Russell's daughter, called the Police. No action was taken by Police, as only SBI and Police Officers were on the scene when they arrived. "

More Sioban: "Senator Russell's office issued a statement that the Republican Senator went to the location after hearing of possible threats to his daughter, one of the co-hostesses of the highly acclaimed show 'Point Taken'. Ruby Russell issued a statement through the 'Point Taken' program that she was being harassed by Police, but gave no details. Neither the SBI nor the TCPD have responded to our repeated requests for comment about this issue. And now we go to Bettina Wurtzburg for more on the Governor's appearance and the Independent State Counsel. Bettina!"

"That's right, Tim!" said Bettina. "Republican Governor Jared will be touring the old Wentworth Tool & Die building, which was bought by BOW Enterprises, and the Governor will be touting his and the Republican Party's jobs program. However, almost every Republican in the Legislature has refused to join the Governor for the tour or the Press Conference afterward, showing that the Governor remains deeply unpopular even with his own Party, and will be an anchor on the Party in the November elections!"

"As to the Independent State Counsel," said Bettina, "Fox Two News has learned that Steven Fuqua and Alan Davidson will be testifying before the Special Grand Jury this week. Dave Smigelski testified last week, and experts believe the testimony of the three Jared aides, once very important persons in the Governor's close inner circle, could be devastating for the Governor."

After a pause, in which the State affiliates broke away, Bettina said "And finally, local politics are now white hot with rancor as candidate for Sheriff Della Harlow filed a complaint against Commander Donald Troy for his ad which appeared over the weekend in response to her attack ad on Republican Sheriff candidate Griswold. Roll tape."

First was shown Della's attack ad that used the Charlie Griswold photo to attack Chief Griswold for being a friend of the Governor. Then came the retaliatory response:

"Hi, I'm Donald Troy." said me, wearing civilian clothes. "Charlie Griswold was a quadriplegic that overcame his limitations to help catch a wanted criminal. For his actions, he was awarded the Governor's Gold Medal. Charlie Griswold was later murdered for his heroic, helpful actions." I said as the photo was shown in my ad.

"Della Harlow used this photo of this brave man being awarded the Governor's Gold Medal to attack Charlie's father, who is now grieving the loss of his son." I went on. "For Della Harlow to use this photo is not only one of the most despicable things that I have ever seen, it shows that Della Harlow has neither the integrity nor the sound judgement needed to be this County's next Sheriff. Harlow? No, I am not with her. She is just too despicable to hold elected office."

The ad ended "The Friends of the Town & County are responsible for the content of this advertising."

Back to Bettina live: "We have with us Dr. Romanov of the University's Institute for Political Policy. Dr. Romanov, did Commander Troy cross the line with this ad?"

"Not legally." said Dr. Romanov. "Like his previous ad, he's in civilian clothes and does not identify himself as being with the Police. As to the content of the ad, he's stooped to a new low in calling Ms. Harlow 'despicable' and questioning her integrity."

"Will either his ad or Ms. Harlow's ad make a difference in the race?" asked Bettina.

"I doubt it, Bettina." said Romanov. "Everyone knows Griswold is a friend of the deeply racist, woman-hating Val Jared, and his supporters don't seem to care. On the other side, Commander Troy's words are worthless to those who support civil rights, women's rights, and support Della Harlow for Sheriff..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"How can he say that with a straight face?" exclaimed Joanne Warner as KXTC went to Weather and Sports. "Commander, your ad was devastating!"

"Thanks." I said. "He can say it because he has to. Harlow's ad did shock and offend a lot of people in this County, not that she had a snowball's chance in hell of winning the Election in November, anyway. Bettina and Romanov were working hard to mitigate that damage."

"Sir," said Teddy Parker, "is there any chance Chief Griswold will drop out of the Sheriff's race, after what happened to his son and the effect it's had on his wife?" The room suddenly got quiet.

"Unless Mrs. Griswold's health goes really bad," I said, "I don't think so... ohhhhh..."

"What?" asked several Detectives.

"Er, nothing." I said. I'd just realized that the Harlow ad was run that way to demoralize the Griswolds... and to cause Mrs. Griswold to potentially become ill. There really was nothing the Democrats and their allies in the Mainstream Press would not stoop to in order to win raw political power... even intensifying a mother's grief over her murdered child. There was no limits to the depths of the Media's depravity, and the Democrats were not much better.

"Uh oh, his face is getting redder than his crowbar." Cindy whispered to Teresa. They took the action step of asking to see me in my office.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"So Russell fronted you?" I said. Cindy had told me of the incident, but we had not had the chance to talk about it in detail.

"Looked like he realized what I was doing, and was hell bent on stopping any turning against him by his wife." Cindy replied. "And he was willing to shed blood doing it. Thankfully the Wolf of Clan Troy and her Wolfpack smelled out the plot and redirected Russell's thinking."

She was pointing at Teresa as she said it. To my surprise, Teresa registered shock at Cindy's words, then became introspective. Full blown reverie, in fact.

"Yes, that was good work, Teresa---- er, are you okay?" I said.

"Uh, yes sir." Teresa said, struggling to get her composure back.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Cynthia Freeman, KSTD Five-Alive News in the Morning!" said the beautiful reporterette at 8:00am. "We welcome our SNN affiliates as we report on the Governor's planned visit to our Town for a tour of the old Wentworth Tool & Die facility, followed by a press conference on the University Campus, sponsored by the College Republicans."

Cynthia went through the Governor' itinerary in rather excruciating detail, including a discussion of the security measures. "The State Patrol will be escorting the Governor while he's on the roads. The Town & County Police have not responded to repeated requests for comment on their part of the security arrangements for the Governor. Sources tell SNN that the Governor has requested that Commander Donald Troy join the Governor for the tour of the Wentworth facility. And now let's go to Diane Williams in the City. Diane!"

"Thank you, Cynthia." said the aging Diane Williams. She first went through the altercation between Senator Russell and Cindy and Britt, then said "The City D.A.'s Office has said they are very disturbed by Senator Russell's confrontational attitude with Police. In a press conference just moment ago, the ADA handling the case said that he is now more inclined to take the Hallerton rape case to a Grand Jury than he was over the weekend..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"You may have done some good, after all." I said to Cindy as my Angels and I watched the broadcast.

"Maybe so." said Cindy. "I still don't get Ruby's attitude, though."

"Well," I said, "I'd watch 'Point Taken' today, but I have to tour a grimy old building with the Governor."

"Speaking of that," said Cindy, "I'm getting a vibe about it. I do not like the way they're giving the Governor's itinerary, where he'll be and when, and in such detail. And they act like the TCPD not giving them our security arrangement is some kind of sacrilege."

"To them, it is sacrilege." said Teresa.

"They're just taking the opportunity to take a cheap shot at us." I said. "We've closed the Press Room, don't give press conferences, and I won't even speak to them. So they give us their 'repeated requests for comment' shit."

"I agree with Commander Ross, sir," said Tanya, "about their seeming zeal to reveal the security arrangements. Do me a favor, and armor-plate your head, sir." We all chuckled.

"Speaking of all that," I said, "Where are you all going to be?"

"Here." said Cindy. "I'm pretty much running Headquarters and the Precincts for the Chief while he's part of the entourage."

"I'll be there, with you and Todd." said Teresa. "Mostly as his wife, but you know I'll suddenly have a Police radio in my hand if something starts happening."

"The Governor wants to say nice things about me at his speech on Campus today." said Tanya. "So I'll be there."

"Cool beans." I said. "Be sure to be in civilian clothes, like Teresa and I are going to be..."

Part 9 - Fire In The Hole

9:30am, Monday, August 20th. The State Patrol led with a motorcycle group, then a couple of cars. Several armored limousines followed, one of them carrying Our Governor. Then came more State Patrol cars, the Press caravan, and finally more motorcycles.

Protestors lined the streets, held at bay by well-armored TCPD Officers. What was printed on the signs they held was so ugly that it cannot be repeated in this family environment.

The Wentworth Tool & Die building was in the heart of the old Industrial District, south of Downtown, in Precinct 2 by my thinking. As the caravan came into the parking lot, we were ready to receive them: Todd Burke, wearing a well-fitting suit and tie, his black hair styled perfectly, looking every bit the rich, young executive that he was. With him was his lovely wife Teresa, wearing a (kevlar lined) light gray jacket and skirt and relatively sensible heels that she could run surprisingly fast in (and had practiced doing so).

A few politicians had come. Chief Griswold, still not having quite gotten over his son's death, was there. The Mayor was there, as were Council Members John Colby, J.P. Goldman, Edward R. Steele, Dagmar Schoen and Ian McGhillie. State Rep. William C. 'Billy' Williams (R - Town & County) and State Rep. Peter Long Cox (R - Nextdoor County) were there. Chief Moynahan was also there, in uniform, and Detective Teddy Parker, in civilian clothes as Detectives were expected to be, was his assistant of sorts.

And somewhat behind all of them, minding my own business, was Your Iron Crowbar. I was wearing my kevlar-lined trenchcoat, my kevlar-lined (relatively dark) gray suit, armor under my white shirt and red necktie, and of course the 'girdle' for back support. My gun was in its holster under my left armpit.

Protestors screamed obscenities as the Governor came to Chief Griswold first, and their hug was followed by words of condolences over Charlie. The Governor had not come to the funeral in order to not create further chaos that the security would require, so he was now sharing commiserations with the old Chief.

The Governor then was greeted by Todd and Teresa, and Todd led Jared through the line of other politicians and personages, introducing me last as his uncle. The Governor greeted me as an old friend, and asked me to stay with him and Todd during the tour. I knew then that something was up with him.

Todd led the way through the mostly empty old building. The sheet metal roof was held up mostly by a few columns and the old brick walls. Only a couple of ancient die machines were still there, and Todd told the Governor, with cameras recording the event, of the new CNC machines that would be installed and used to make new technology. The Governor was impressed, with both the plans, and with the confident young BOW Enterprises CEO.

"And this back room," explained Todd as they went into the back room, a very large, open room, with windows high up, just under the roof, "was once where furnaces to pour steel were. They'd pour the steel and either cast it into shapes, or roll it for the dies out front to stamp or work with. They poured everything from iron stoves to wall safes back in the day. There's a couple of safes over there by the right side wall. We're going to have to get cranes to pull them out of here." He pointed to the massive two-door, six-foot-high wall safes about 100 feet away, against the right-side wall.

"What are you going to do with this room, Mr. Burke?" asked the Governor.

"Same as the old days, raw materials processing." said Todd. "We'll buy raw plastics and do injection molding, here. We won't pour steel, but we'll do some prep work for the dies."

"And how many jobs will you be creating?" asked the Governor, making sure the cameras were getting every word.

"With the help of the tax breaks of your jobs program, Governor," said Todd, playing his part, "we're going to be creating at least 100 direct jobs here, and another 100 jobs supporting those. And with transportation jobs and such, another 200 to 400 on top of that."

After some more talk, the Governor had his people move everyone back towards the front room. "Why don't you all go outside for the photo-ops. I'll just have a quick word with Commander Troy about the Charlie Griswold situation and those files Charlie decoded, if y'all don't mind." Everyone was herded out, leaving me alone with the Governor.

No one noticed one of the Governor's security people closing the door to the back room, and putting a padlock on it...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"What I really wanted to touch base with you about," said the Governor, "is this business with my traitorous aides and the Independent State Counsel. They don't have anything, there was never anything to have, but Mullen is putting so much financial and legal pressure on them that they may bend the truth if not outright break it to give Mullen what he wants."

I said "I wouldn't get too worried---- wait... do you smell gas?"

"Now that you mention it," said Jared, "yes, I do."

"Come on, let's get out of here." I said. I led the Governor to the door, the only means of egress from the room. When I tried the door, it wouldn't budge. We were locked in! I began looking around, and saw that a pipe in the corner was rigged, and could hear the soft whistle of escaping natural gas...

"Ohhhhh, shiiiiitttttt..." I gasped.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Teresa Croyle's Police radio beeped. She said into it "Croyle here."

"Ma'am," this is Precinct 2 Duty Desk." said the radio. "The Gas Company just notified us of a sudden drop in gas pressure in your area. They suspect a leak near your location."

"Roger." said Teresa. "Notify all units and the Fire Department to begin evacuating this area." She then said to the crowd: "Everyone, please evacuate the area! Proceed to the University location! A gas leak has occurred, please evacuate!"

"What about the Governor and Commander Troy?" asked Teddy Parker. Lieutenant Rudistan and Corporal Hicks were coming up, as well.

"I'll go get them." said Teresa. "Rudistan, take charge. Get everyone out, no exceptions, no excuses." She turned to go to the building.

***KA-BOOM!!***

The explosion was sudden, unexpected. It knocked everyone down. Teresa looked up to see the Wentworth Tool & Die building enveloped in smoke and dust. As it rose, she saw the remains of a shattered building.

"NOOOOO!!" Teresa screamed. She got up an began running towards the building. No one could possibly have stopped her.

It was not just a building exploding for Teresa. Her world was exploding: Don was still inside the building. She wasn't hearing anything, not even her own screams as she ran into the rubble.

The threats were existential. Debris was still falling out of the sky. Pieces of roof and walls had been blown out, but some remained, threatening to fall in. Teresa pushed on, heedless of the danger.

There was nothing in the front room, just pieces of metal flat on the floor. There were no bodies. Teresa went towards the back, feeling air moving, pushing against her back. She had to watch her step, as the mess was increasing. The door to the back room had been blown out, and was held sideways by a padlock. She worked her way around it.

The back room was some kind of surrealistic hell. In the back left corner, a huge flame was burning straight up into the air from an exposed pipe coming from the ground. It was obviously a gas pipe, and that must've been where something was rigged to blow it, Teresa could see.

She looked around, seeing light filter through the smoke and dust, the walls half standing, gaping holes where sheets of metal and windows had been blown out, everything a dingy yellowish-brown.

Then she saw the splash of color near a pile of debris. She made her way over to it and picked it up. Smoke mixed with the tears in her eyes to burn them as she recognized it.

It was a red crowbar.

To be continued?

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 386 milliseconds