Halfbreed Ch. 02

"Beautiful, mystifying, Lorena..." His eyes meet mine for a second, his fingertips skim my cheek gently and he steps away from me again, towards the door. "I better let you sleep now..."

I find my voice only by the power of some miracle "I will open the door downstairs for you..." How is he getting to wherever he is going? He is barefooted and half naked!

"No, no... don't worry. It's cold out there. You go to bed. I will get out the same way I came in... for luck. My car is parked not too far, and I still need to get the memory cards from the cameras."

I look at him for a beat, then shrug. It all still sounds like nonsense, but whatever. My knees are a little wobbly and I feel very tired all of a sudden. Emotionally drained, both from the book and from this whole conversation.

"OK... You should be careful though. People around here have been a bit antsy, since the police found two women dead on the beach north of here. You don't want to get shot by accident."

"Thank you, I will keep that in mind." He puts the book into one of his many pockets and makes his way to the door. "I will lock the upstairs from the inside for you before closing it."

--

On Tuesday, my doorbell rings a few minutes before seven. I have decided not to invite him up now, so, grabbing my coat and bag, I make my way downstairs, walking deliberately slowly.

When I open the door, Liam is just standing there, looking... well, scrumptious comes to mind. His eyes are down and he seems a little lost in thought.

"Hi..." I say softly, trying not to startle him and it comes out all husky, like a cheesy 'come on'. I feel myself blush immediately and my resolution to stay relaxed wavers a bit.

"Good evening. May I say, you look lovely tonight Ms. Clarke." he says playfully.

"Oh why... thank you, Mr. Stewart." I say imitating his tone and then, pointedly looking him over "You don't look too bad yourself."

His throaty and sexy laugh sounds so damn good... "Ready to go?"

"I'm all yours tonight." What? Where did that come from?

"You shouldn't say things like that, unless you mean them, Lorena..." his tone sends butterflies into my stomach, but he goes back to casual and friendly before I can really react "I hope you don't mind a bit of a drive? I thought we might try the Hideaway."

"Oh...?" That's a forty minute drive!

He wiggles his eyebrows at me "I promise to let you choose the music for the drive?"

"All right. I can live with that."

Liam opens the car door for me. Oh, I get to ride in the little toy car tonight! It's a bit low but I manage to get into my seat, as elegantly as can be expected.

"Why the Hideaway?" I ask, when he is in his seat.

"One of my friends was there this week, he can't stop raving about the food. Have you eaten there before?"

"No. I have heard about it though. It's supposed to be really good." I hope he knows, they are usually booked solid every night for weeks in advance.

He starts maneuvering the car around "Now, about that music?"

"Oh yeah... Let's see... Do you have any Justin Bieber? or Britney Spears? Oh... maybe some SpiceGirls?" I say deadpan, but when I look at his horrified face I can't keep it up. We laugh, and I feel a little less daunted by the idea of spending forty minutes trapped in such close quarters with him.

He has old Kings of Leon playing with the volume low, and I am happy with that. We talk about music and cinema for a while. As it happens, we like a lot of the same music. He seems to watch a great amount of horror movies, which I don't particularly like, but has never seen a Julia Roberts romantic comedy! How did he escape that? Hasn't he ever had a girlfriend!?

It's a strange ride. The conversation flows easily enough, but Liam seems to have an aloof persona firmly in place tonight. He is not asking any personal questions, and giving me only general responses, when I ask about New York, his travels, the brothers he mentioned... Even though I think I understand, it still disappoints me a little. The fact he has no interest in getting to know me, won't even pretend to have an interest, makes the point of this date a little too clear.

His hand leaves a burning impression in the middle of my back, despite the layers, as we walk into the restaurant.

The place is packed. While I take my coat off, Liam talks to the hostess. I see him touch her arm lightly. She seems to melt like butter in his presence and, as if in a daze, makes some alterations to her seating chart, then calls one of the waiters to show us to our table. I feel a little embarrassed for her. Do I look like that when he talks to me? I hope not!

The table is small and in an intimate corner. Another waiter brings out water, introduces himself and talks about the food. I am in a mood for red wine and happy to let Liam choose a bottle for us.

When we are left alone he sits forward in his chair, leaning on his forearms, looking at me with a thoughtful expression on his face. The proximity is intoxicating.

I smile a little, he is making me nervous with his silence. Laying my hand by the side of my plate, trying not to fidget, I have a look around the place. It's a lovely decorated restaurant... Without warning, Liam takes hold of my hand gently. That electric feeling I had before is there again, almost making me gasp. Suddenly, I am hot all over.

"Are you trying to make me nervous, Liam?"

A slow smile plays on his lips and he shakes his head. Studying the hand he is holding he says "Beautiful long fingers. Artistic fingers..." then he lifts his eyes and gently squeezes the tip of one of them, while looking straight at me. I let out a little gasp. OK...That was hot! I am caught completely off guard.

"Good... I was starting to wonder if I had any affect on you at all..." he says with a secret little smile.

The waiter comes back with the wine and takes our order. I'm so thankful for the break and for the chance of having my hand back! We toast and I take a sip. The wine is very nice. I drink some more for courage.

"So, I assume there will be no jealous boyfriend, storming the restaurant to rescue you?" his turquoise eyes never leave my face.

I smile a little at his wording "No... I probably wouldn't be here if there was a boyfriend..."

"I didn't think so."

"Why? Do I need rescuing?"

"Ah Ms. Clarke, if you only knew..."

"You are trying to make me nervous!"

He chuckles and sits back in his chair, relaxed. I try to relax too, with some success. This is a lovely wine...

By the time they clear out our plates, I am really enjoying myself. He is sweet, funny and seems completely focused on me, interested in everything I have to say. The food was delicious but I can't even tell if I have eaten a lot, the power of his undivided attention is incredibly distracting.

The moment I lay my hand on the table again, he takes it. Not content with simply holding my fingers, Liam starts to gently massage the tops of them with his thumb. I have to hold myself, to avoid squirming in my seat. This is too hot! The energy between us goes from easy conversation to charged in an instant. The effects his tiny caresses are having on me are totally out of proportion. Am I really that needy? I have to suppress a laugh. It has been more than three years Lorena...

I look at him and he is watching me, as if privy to my internal discussion. Liam lifts one eyebrow in question, a little predatory smile playing on his lips.

Good god, he is sexy!

I just realize I know nothing really personal about him. I wanted to ask questions! Now I have told him more than I usually share with anyone, while I don't even know for sure if he is single! I feel the urge to pout, like a sullen toddler.

"Alright. Ask away..." he says, and sits back on his chair again, still holding my hand. Amusement dancing in his eyes.

Oh... Did I say something out loud? Did I actually pout? I have to clear my throat a little before I can think of a way to respond. His touch is too distracting.

He lets go of my hand then, and I have a moment of insanity, thinking he can read my mind. His smile spreads on his lips and I feel my body react to him all the way to my toes. This is absurd!

Focus Lorena! Questions! Yes... I wanted to ask questions. I consider asking him about his opinion on the subject matter of the book he borrowed, but decide it's too grim for first date chat. Hmm... what to ask first?

"Do you have a wife, 2.4 babies and a dog missing you right now in New York?" I blurt out. Oh... smooth... I can immediately feel my cheeks burning at the bluntness of my attempt at checking his availability. I'm so not good at this!

Liam barks out a laugh. Won't even pretend he doesn't know what I'm doing.

"Nope... no one to miss me... I travel a lot, for work..."

"Sounds lonely..."

"It can be... but this kind of traveling sometimes has it's rewards..."

He signs for the waiter and hands him his credit card, without even looking at the bill.

"Come, there is a park down the road. Fancy a walk with me?" His look makes me think I understand exactly how the little gazelle feels, face to face with the lion. Still, when he offers me his hand, I take it.

The butterflies are threatening to come out of my mouth by the time we have our coats on and are out of the door. It really has been too long since I have played this game, I am so afraid of making a fool of myself... but I guess the time to run away has long passed, so I take a deep breath and try to relax. Just be yourself Lorena. Nothing else you can do.

The night is cold, the air lovely and fresh. He holds my hand as we walk in silence, seeming lost in thought. I can't think of anything to say, my mind is spinning a little.

There is a narrow ladder going down to a walkway in the little park. He steps down first, and holding my hand over his shoulder, helps me negotiate it.

Looking down at the steps, afraid to slip in the semi darkness, I don't realize he has stopped at the bottom. As he turns around, I take one step too many, ending up way closer than I had planned. Up close like this, his delicious smell invades my senses again.

He looks down at me and our eyes lock. Is he going to kiss me this time? This is perfect. If he does, I might just melt into the water.

But he hesitates for a second too long, then looks away, taking a step back.

Oh-key... This is confusing... and a little annoying, to tell the truth. What's his deal?

He lets go of my hand and we walk in silence again for a while.

This is a lovely little park by the water, the night is perfect for a walk, but I'm starting to feel uncertain about all this. Maybe I should just ask him to take me home now...

His voice almost startles me "I always tell my men to be... prudent around girls, when we go to small towns like this..." he says this carefully, as if measuring his words, watching my face "We never stay long, you see... and I would hate to think we left any bad impressions... or broken hopes when we pack up and leave..."

It takes a second for what he is saying to sink in, but when it does I am floored. How... How condescending! What is he talking about!? Ugh!! It's obvious he thinks we are a bunch of simpletons, and that the women will be all buying wedding dresses before they know it, if his 'men' get involved with them.

Message received Mr. Stewart! I stop walking. There really is no point in pretending I don't know he was talking directly to me. Like I need reminding to keep my hopes down, because he will be leaving soon!? What does he think I am? Twelve?!

I am done with him, but I feel like I need to say something.

"You may consider though, that the girls around here are not as naive as you think. They may be having a little fun with... your men... as you say, exactly because they know they will be gone soon. No small town awkwardness to deal with in the future."

Liam stands there, looking all intense and broody.

Taking a deep breath I say "I have had enough walking, I think. And I need to work early tomorrow... Maybe you can drive me back now?" then I turn around and start walking the other way, without waiting for him. The idea of forty minutes in a car with him now is so horrifying, I wonder if I can find another way to get home.

I think I hear him mutter "Oh, fuck it!" as I walk as fast as I can without running.

He catches up to me just as I reach the steps and takes a hold of my arm, to stop me "Feisty little thing aren't you?"

His look is hot enough to weaken my knees but I am too mad to care. Looking into his beautiful, stormy eyes, I say as calmly as I can "This game you are playing is beyond irritating Liam! I think this date is over." I try to turn around but he still has my arm, so I look up at him again.

"Is that why you are here then Lorena? For a bit of fun?" the longing and hunger I saw the other night are there again, in his beautiful blue eyes. It leaves me paralyzed for a second.

Stepping closer, Liam cups my face with his big hand. When I don't move away immediately, he seems to take it as permission, and kisses me hard, no preambles. I think about protesting, but I am sure we both know this is what I have wanted all along, so it seems futile.

His lips are soft and warm, and oh so good... my hands go to his chest, more for support than to push him away at this point. It feels just as hard and strong as it looks. I moan, parting my lips, and he deepens the kiss, enclosing me in his arms. A few seconds into it and I have surrendered completely! I don't really want it to end! So I run my hands down his broad chest, around to his back, under his jacket. Clinging on to him, raking my nails gently over the soft material of his sweater. Holy crap the man can kiss!

Only when the need for air becomes unbearable, we stop. He puts his forehead against mine, his breathing is as altered as my own "I was only trying to protect you, troublemaker." he says softly.

I laugh "Hm... and who is going to protect you?!"

Liam chuckles, shaking his head, then kisses me again. I feel myself melting. His tongue is deliciously insistent. He tangles one hand into my hair and uses the other to explore the curves of my body, drawing me against him, dominating me with his size and power. We are just kissing and I am in heaven!

The loud ringing of his phone startles both of us.

Well, that's one ridiculous cliche we have covered... I lay my forehead against his chest and try to catch my breath, feeling like I want to scream at whoever is on the phone to go away.

"Great timing as always, Nick..." Liam says and listens for a beat.

His arm around my waist still holding me close, his expression darkens and he mutters "sorry" to me. I smile, shaking my head while he says "Have you talked to anyone else?"

My brain has had time to start working again. I can see all the ways in which this is a bad idea, but I tell my mind to shut up for a change. He is gorgeous and, apparently, into me. I deserve a bit of fun.

Liam says a clipped "Don't do anything until I get there. Just let me know if the situation changes." and hangs up.

Pocketing his phone, he kisses me again. Hard and demanding. It's a full body assault, I am left whimpering in need as he trails nibbling kisses down my neck. Jeez! If he can do this with a kiss...

"Ah troublemaker... it looks like you will escape tonight, to think better about what you are doing..." he says against my neck, his voice raspy.

I feel so breathless after the last kiss, I cannot muster speech.

"Something came up, I need to meet someone... Can you drive a stick?"

What?! "Yes... Why?" I offer when I can find my voice again.

"I want you to take my car and drive yourself home."

"Are you crazy?! I can't leave you without a car! I can call a cab, Liam, if you need to be somewhere else... It's no problem."

"Don't even think about it." he gives me his little sideways grin "This way I have an excuse to see you again..."

Yeah... Like you need one of those.

Silencing my protest with another quick kiss, he puts his arm around my shoulders and walks me to the car.

After showing me where everything is and turning the little toy on for me, Liam takes a hold of my hands, to pull me back out of the car, and steps in close. Holding my chin up gently, looking me in the eyes, he says "I still want you. Think about it."

Just like that, I am all out of breath again. It makes me laugh "I believe I will not be able to think about anything else for a while..."

Liam gives me his devastating smile and kisses me again, swiftly, then steps back. Saying with a serious expression "Lock the doors and don't stop for anyone."

I feel the urge to stick my tongue out at him but do as I'm told.

Oh god... He said he still wants me! My insides flutter at the thought, but I stop myself short of dreaming up what will happen when he comes for his car.

He is just passing by Lorena. Don't forget that.

Too wired to sleep or even read when I get home, I change into my oldest and softest t-shirt and, wrapping myself in my favorite quilt, sit on the couch, to watch mindless late night television. I can't help staring at the little armchair though. The memory of him here, in my tiny living room, half naked and broody, haunts me.

Liam

Maybe I should be glad for the interruption...

Figuring out what the deal is with this woman should not involve bedding her! She is not one of the groupies that comes to the nightclubs, or one of those sophisticated trill seekers he meets in the big towns. She is a sweet, lovely girl and he should leave her the bloody hell alone!

Oh, but good intentions be damned, he was not lying, he still wants her...

Liam tries to put Lorena out of his mind and concentrate on the problem at hand. Nick sounded very confused, It seems one of their females has come down with some form of disease. What the hell is going on?

Walking back down to the beach, he finds a darker corner in where to change and takes off, towards the house Nick is working to set up as their temporary center of operations.

Nick is waiting outside when Liam gets there. His baby brother looks worried. Liam can't remember the last time he saw Nick looking anything but complacent. This may be even more serious than he thought.

"Where is Anna?"

"She is sleeping now. Should I call father?"

"Gareth and Tristan back yet?"

"No, they will be staying in Vancouver another night."

"What exactly happened Nick?"

"I don't know! She came over to spend the night... I thought we were going to have some fun... but then she told me she was not feeling well..."

"Why is she here? How did she escape her guardian? What were you thinking?!"

Nick at least has the decency of looking embarrassed for a second.

"She is twenty years old Liam. Not a youngling."

"Still! We do not pray on our own females!"

"Oh please! Remove the stick from up there, will you? I am not praying on anyone. We are friends, we talk and we fool around. Nothing for you to concern yourself with."

"Anything you did that could have caused this?"

"No! Of course not! She said she hadn't been feeling like herself for the last few days, but she didn't complain or anything because she didn't want to distract from Illana's ceremony."

"And what exactly is her problem?"

"The symptoms she described sound like what humans would call a cold or the flu... This is really strange Liam. Maybe we should just call father, I will deal with the backlash..."

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 20 milliseconds