His Best Friend's Mom

"Same here, bro."

The two friends looked at one another before Rick said, "Well, I guess this is it."

They hugged one another for several seconds before Rick got in his rental car and fired it up.

"Listen to that engine!" he said as he revved it several times.

"Call me when you get in, dude," Walker said.

Rick flashed a thumb's up sign and backed up then drove off.

His three-week visit flew by much too quickly and Taryn found herself once again saying goodbye to her son. She'd avoided talking about Walker anytime his name came up and

Rick wrote that off to life's changes, as well. He did however, ask her once about this guy in Seattle and when his mom told him it was over, Rick only said, "If you really loved the guy, why did you leave? Who cares about this 'appropriate' bullshit?"

His swearing didn't bother her at all. Taryn knew he'd changed tremendously and she loved him all the more for the sacrifices he'd made. All she said in reply was that she still had feelings for him, but that time and distance and had made it a moot point.

But...had they really?

By the time Walker turned 21, he'd done his best to forget about Taryn. He'd dated other girls closer to his own age as well as a couple of women over 30, but no one had ever made him feel the way she had. He'd thrown himself into his work and gotten so good at it, his father sat him down on his birthday for a serious, heart-to-heart talk.

"Walker? I'm duly impressed. Of all the people I've had work for me over the years, no one's done better work. You've paid your dues learning every facet of the business, and I trust you completely."

"Thanks, Dad. But this is my life, too. And I'm the one who's grateful. You've patiently taught me everything and as the epitome of 'firm but fair', you've kept me on the straight and narrow."

"Your mother and I have been discussing something for a while now. She's not happy about it, but she's as proud of you as I am and understands."

"And what might this 'something' be, Dad?" Walker asked having no idea where this was going.

"You know we've opened two new locations and that a third is in the works."

"Portland? Are you really going to open up a location there?"

"No. The lawyers tell me it's just too difficult to move into a new state. Portland is out, but we have another location in mind and this is why your mother is so upset with me."

"I'm kind of lost here, Dad. What's going on?"

"Well, I want you to open and run the new location. I'll be there to help you get it up and running, but once you're on your feet, it'll be your operation. And when I'm ready to hang it up someday, the whole shootin' match'll be yours."

"Wow. That's...that's incredible, Dad. Where are you looking at? Bellingham?"

"No. Bellingham's too small. We're opening an office in Spokane, son. Next month. I keep telling your mom it's only five hours away, and she keeps giving me dirty looks. But she knows how good you are and how much you deserve this in your own right so..."

Walker was stunned into silence. Yes, he did know the business inside and out now. He was a very competent GC who could supervise any project. He could instinctively tell who to hire or fire and had a real knack at working with the most difficult of customers. He'd earned his spurs to be sure. This wasn't a case of nepotism. Walker Emerson was ready.

"Okay. Yes. I'll do it," he told his father.

"That's my boy!" his dad said as he clapped him on the shoulder. "Let's celebrate. You're 21 now so how about a real drink?"

As he and his parents had a scotch on the rocks, they discussed the new location, Walker's plans, and his mother reminded him several times how much she'd miss him and told him he'd better call every day.

"Mom, Rick's been to Afghanistan twice and his mom doesn't hound him like that," Walker said in a teasing way.

"He's a fine young man, and we're all proud of him, but you're my son, Walker."

She smiled then looked a bit pensive. "You know, I often think about Taryn and hope she's doing well. I had no idea she'd even left town for several months. Didn't you say she moved to Spokane?"

The truth was he was thinking about her again now, too.

It had been a long time since that day on Crystal Mountain. Walker rarely spoke with Rick anymore but the last time he had, Rick told him his mom was still single and still looking. He doubted she'd even want to talk to him let alone 'see' him, but now that he was moving to Spokane, he had to know. He had to find out.

Over the next four weeks, Walker spent many long hours with his dad and their attorneys getting the new location ready from Seattle. They were about two weeks out from Walker's departure when his dad suggested he leave a week earlier and move to Spokane and find a place to live. That way, he could keep an eye on the office as they worked out the final details.

The next Wednesday morning, his car was crammed with as much stuff as he could fit in it; stuff to hold him over until his dad showed up the following week with a truck and everything else he owned—which still wasn't all that much.

After a tearful goodbye with his mother, Walker left Seattle and headed east just as Taryn had done some two years before. It was cold, bright, and sunny from the bottom of Snoqualmie Pass all the way to Spokane and in less than five hours, Walker was at his modest new place—a ranch-style home just over 2,000 square feet. Compared to Seattle, real estate was dirt cheap as Walker admired the house that would cost at least five times as much (if not more) back in King County.

Within an hour, everything he brought with him was in place and although he needed to see someone about the office location as soon as possible, he was determined to find Taryn.

Rick had told him where she worked, but he had no intention of walking in and surprise her like that where she worked. No, he'd wait until she was home and then go see her—unannounced. If she slammed the door in his face or told him to leave her alone, he'd have his answer. But until she did, he couldn't let it go.

The meeting went well, and the office space was first-rate. It would soon have all the equipment needed from phones to computers to copy machines and more. Now that that was done, it was a little after 7pm and Walker had one more thing he had to do.

He brushed his thick, dark hair before he got out of the car then walked toward the apartment complex where Taryn lived. He knew she was in #16 on the first floor, and Walker found it within seconds. He took a deep breath, knocked on the door, then waited.

He heard her sweet voice call out, "Just a minute!" and just the sound of it stirred him. Would she still look the same? Would he finally realize this was a silly teenage crush? Would she be angry at him for showing up? His thoughts were interrupted as the door opened and he saw her beautiful face.

"I just got home and I..."

Taryn's smile faded as she stood there and stared.

"Hi," Walker said politely.

"Walker. What...what are you doing here?" Taryn asked barely able to talk.

"We're opening a new location here in Spokane and well, I...I had to see you, Taryn. If you don't want to see me, then I'll leave."

He looked into her eyes and told her, "The truth is, I've never gotten over you or stopped thinking about you so..."

Her eyes were darting back and forth with his and her heart was pounding furiously.

"Would you like to come in?" she asked.

"If you don't mind," he said.

"No. I don't mind," she assured him.

Her apartment was small but clean and tastefully decorated.

"You have a beautiful place," he told her sincerely.

"It isn't much, but it's home," she said finally smiling. "Can I get you something?"

"I'm fine," he told her.

Taryn sat across from him and started to speak.

"Walker? I...I owe you an apology for, you know, running away like that. I should have talked to you. I should have called. I was just so confused and...and afraid."

"I won't tell you it didn't hurt," he said making sure to smile. "Your first love is something you never forget."

Taryn smiled sweetly as she said, "Love? Walker, that wasn't love. It was...a crush. A fantasy. You know that, right?"

"No, I'm not so sure I do, Taryn," he told her as nicely as he knew how. "In fact, I'm pretty sure I was in love with you and seeing you again—you look amazing, by the way—I'm positive I was in love with you."

Taryn did look fantastic. She'd taken very good care of herself and her body was tight and firm and her hair was styled in a way that made her look even younger. Her gorgeous eyes were still as amazing as was her smile. It had been two years and change, but Walker thought she looked more beautiful now than she had then.

Taryn didn't answer. She couldn't even hold his gaze. Her stomach was in knots again and that feeling of confusion held her tight.

"If you didn't feel anything for me, if it was just a crush on my end, then why did you leave, Taryn?" he asked imploringly. "If you didn't have feelings for me, why couldn't you at least say goodbye? It would have been difficult to hear, but nothing could have been as bad as wondering all this time; believing you did have feelings for me, but wouldn't act on them because of my age or Rick or...whatever."

Taryn still hadn't said a word. She looked so tiny and fragile sitting there in her pretty pale-green dress.

"I...couldn't face you, Walker," she finally said weakly.

She looked up at him then said, "I knew that if I saw you again...if you kissed me again...I wouldn't be able to say 'no' and I couldn't let you do that to yourself. You deserve someone younger and...better-suited for you."

"Then you did have feelings for me."

"Yes. Of course I did," she said unable to look at him.

"Did you love me?"

"Love? That's a very strong word, Walker. I don't use it lightly."

"Nor do I, Taryn," he said as softly as he could. "I've only ever loved one woman. I've dated other girls since, but I've only been in love once."

Again, Taryn didn't answer.

"Is there someone in your life?" Walker asked.

She shook her head then said, "No. I've gone out with quite a few different guys, but none of them have made me feel the way..."

"The way?" Walker prodded.

"Maybe it would be best if you left now," she said still not looking at him.

"Okay. If that's what you want, I'll go."

Walker stood up then moved around the coffee table and stood right next to her. He knelt down, and as he did he put his hand on her shoulder and said, "I'll leave if you tell me you no longer have any feelings for me and that you really do want me to leave. Look me in the eye this time and tell me, Taryn. Do that, and I'll leave right now and never bother you again."

Taryn sat there, her hands in her lap. The silence in the room was deafening.

"Tell me and I'll go," Walker said again quietly just before he saw a tear fall from her eyes.

"I...can't," she told him. She turned her head slightly toward him and said, "I can't tell you that because it wouldn't be true."

"Then ask me stay. Ask me to stay and let me at least try and win your love."

She finally looked at him and when she did, Walker gently reached over and touched her cheek turning her face toward him.

"Or just kiss me."

Their eyes met and danced again briefly before Walker moved slowly toward her. As he did, he saw her eyes close just before he pressed his lips to hers. It was soft at first and then became more passionate as Walker held her pretty face in his hands.

When it ended, Taryn looked away again then said, "I've never stopped thinking about you either, Walker. And...and while I'm not sure what exactly it was I felt for you, it was unlike anything I've ever felt before or since. I...I loved my husband very much, but we were so very young when we got married. I never really experienced the kind of...passion...I felt with you on the mountain that day and that...that scared me, Walker. So I ran away and I've regretted it every day since. Can you possibly ever forgive me?"

"I don't know the Bible very well, but I know it says love is longsuffering. I still love you, Taryn, and I always will. All I ask is the chance for you to find out if you love me, too. I know I'm young, but I'm going to be running this location. I've learned so much about the business, about people, and about life. And I learned about love from you. So if I can just have some of your time; time for you to really get to know me...I can't help but think you might love me back."

More tears fell as he spoke and yet Taryn never took his eyes off of his.

"It's very possible I already do," she said barely above a whisper. "But...I'd like to be sure."

"Me, too," Walker said with a gentle smile before he kissed her again.

"I...I would like it very much if you would ask me out...on a proper date," Taryn said trying to dry her eyes and smile for him.

"Sorry. I bet I'm a site now, with my mascara all over my face."

"You are," Walker said still smiling. "The most beautiful site I've ever seen."

"And there it is," Taryn said now smiling a real smile.

"There what is?" Walker asked.

"That feeling. The one I've only ever had with you," she told him.

"Ah, that feeling. Yes, I know it well," Walker told her. "So...would you like to go out with me, Taryn Zander?"

"I would love to, Walker Emerson," she told him.

She sat there staring into his eyes for several moments before saying, "But I'd be okay if we were to maybe just stay in tonight."

"Stay in?"

"Yes. Stay in. Tonight. With me."

She put her hand on his face and smiled, "If that's not too much too soon."

"I've waited for over two years just to see you again. 'Staying in' with you is a dream come true. And it's definitely not too soon."

"I'm glad," Taryn said running her hand along his cheek. "I am so, so glad."

None of the concerns she'd had before went away that night. What changed was that she no longer cared. She'd been married to a man she'd dearly loved, raised a son, and now she'd fallen in love with someone she wasn't supposed to love; someone 'they' said was inappropriate for her to love.

"Well, 'they' say a lot, don't they? And they can kiss my ass," she said to herself as she gave her body, her mind, her heart, and her soul to the man she wasn't supposed to love but did.

Telling Rick and Walker's father and then his mother weren't the easiest things they'd ever done, but it was much less difficult than the thought of being apart from one another again, especially now that Walker lived less than two miles away from her.

The new office was up and running in less than six weeks and Walker's dad went back to Seattle knowing his son could run things almost as well as he could. He wished his son luck and told him that although a life with Taryn wasn't someone he'd ever hoped for where Walker was concerned, he respected his judgment and his wishes. He admitted Taryn was a very beautiful woman and just before he left to drive home, he told Walker, "Don't ever tell your mom I said that, okay? She might get jealous."

They married just under a year later in a small, private ceremony. Taryn trusted him and loved him with all her heart and fully embraced her age and the difference between them. She still didn't fully understand how he could love her the way that he did, but his every word and every action told her that he did. And she loved him just as much in return.

Rick was now a sergeant and was serving as a Marine drill instructor at Parris Island, South Carolina. DI's worked an average of 28 days a month and getting even a weekend off was nearly impossible, but he wished them both well and gave his best friend his blessing.

"If my mom is happy, then I'm happy. So just promise me you'll take care of her, okay?" he told Walker when they spoke on the phone when they'd shared the news of their engagement with him.

"You have my word," Walker told him. "And thanks, bro. I couldn't have asked for a better best friend growing up."

"Yeah, same here, Walk. Hey, send me a video of the wedding, okay?"

Walker said he would and after wishing him all the best and telling his mom how much he loved her, the call ended.

Taryn Zander became Mrs. Walker Emerson and soon found herself working as her new husband's administrative assistant in the upscale office that said 'Walker & Son Construction' out front. The new business was going like gangbusters which was very fortuitous for the new couple as Taryn learned she was pregnant just days after turning 39.

When Taryn broke the news to her husband she couldn't help saying, "If Rick was married and having a child, I'd be a grandmother and here I am starting all over at 39."

Before Walker could ask if she was complaining or just stating a fact, she smiled at him and said, "And nothing could make me happier."

And Walker couldn't imagine anything making him happier than having married the woman he so dearly loved, his best friend's mom. That is until the birth of their daughter, Emily Allison Walker, the other love of his life.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 39 milliseconds