Lilac Blossom Ch. 01

"It's just play make up, of course, and fake jewelry which Jenny only gets to wear it at home. Isn't that right, Jenny Wren?" asked Rebecca to her blushing daughter as she brought two glasses of wine through for the mothers.

"Yes, mommy" giggled the hyperactive little girl.

"And guess what else?" Caroline, practically bouncing in her chair asked her mom.

"I don't know what else? Why don't you tell me before you bust a seam or something?"

"Jenny said I could come over on Christmas Day! Can I, can I, oh, can I mommy?"

Samantha and Rebecca looked at each other, back at the girls and then just burst out laughing. "Well I rather think that that's not up to me, hon. What does Rebecca say?"

"Of course she can come over," said Rebecca, still giggling. "I had told Jenny she could invite a friend or two over if she wanted to. What are your plans -- would you like to come over too?"

"Well, our neighbors have invited us to share Christmas lunch with them," explained Samantha, "But, maybe we could come over later in the afternoon if that works for you?"

"That would be just perfect! What do you think, Jenny?"

"Caroline can come over then?"

"Yes, in the afternoon."

Jenny and Caroline squealed in unison.

"OK, girls, let's eat. Please go and wash your hands if you haven't already," Rebecca said to the excited young girls. As they headed out to the bathroom to wash up, Samantha looked across at Rebecca, and mouthed a silent "Thank you" and smiled.

Once they had all finished their food, Samantha explained to her daughter that they needed to get going, which was met with sullen, disappointed eyes until Samantha reminded her that she would see her friend on Christmas Day, which cheered up Caroline instantly. Rebecca collected her visitors' jackets and, as they headed to the door and thanked them for coming. "It's been fun," she said.

Samantha turned to her smiling. "Thank you, so much, for inviting us. It has been fun! A lot of fun."

As she turned again to the door, the blonde woman gently placed her palm on her back, saying, "We'll see you next week, then."

Samantha looked over her shoulder at her, smiled, "Yes, I'm looking forward to it, and I'm pretty sure my daughter is too!" Both women looked at Caroline who, having skipped to her mom's car was now skipping around it, her momentary sullenness completely forgotten. Both women laughed affectionately. Samantha turned back to Rebecca one last time. "Thanks again. About 4 o'clock work?"

"Absolutely."

"Great! See you then. "

During the journey home, Caroline was just a bunch of energy, talking incessantly, as only an excited, seven year old girl can. Once they were home and inside their apartment, they settled in for the evening, Caroline plonking herself on the sofa and watching reruns of i-Carly, Samantha catching up on her bills and balancing her checkbook.

Every now and then, Sam's thoughts would turn to the visit with Rebecca. Something about the assistant DA intrigued her, but more than anything, she felt a warm glow inside at the prospect of a new friend, relieving Jamie and John of being her sole source of company.

****

Monday rolled around soon enough, and so it was back to work for Samantha, and Jamie's for Caroline. Samantha's job kept her busy. Being a claims adjuster for one of the larger insurance companies, and working in the auto insurance division, kept her busy at the best of times, but the winter was even busier than usual. And so, with the approaching holiday, and the scheduled office closure, the pressure was on her to clear her desk as much as possible to be ready for the post-break rush of claims. Still, her thoughts kept straying to Rebecca, wondering how busy an assistant DA's life is around this time of year. More than once she considered calling her and suggesting they "do lunch" together -- such a cliché, but she could not think of a better way of phrasing it without it sounding like a date.

She pushed such thoughts aside, since the pressure she put herself under, ably assisted by her manager, kept any thoughts of lunch from the forefront of her mind.

Friday, Christmas Eve, rolled around soon enough, and, with the office being closed, she spent the morning with Caroline, during which time they baked and frosted several batches of holiday cookies: one batch to take to Jamie's, another to take to Rebecca's, another for the bakers to keep for themselves, and the final batch 'just in case.' The afternoon was spent snuggled together with Caroline under the one blanket, relaxing and watching several chick flicks and soppy holiday movies. Samantha still treasured her time spent with her daughter, and they really didn't get as much mother and daughter time together as she would have liked, so Christmas Eve turned out to be a very special time for her. Inevitably, of course, Caroline started to get more and more fidgety as the evening set in, getting excited for Santa's arrival. This tore at Sam's heartstrings somewhat, because, being of limited means, she was not able to spend much money on presents, and so she was not able to lavish her daughter with all the latest gadgets, trendy toys or gizmos. However, she had become the consummate bargain shopper, finding some really cute presents for very little money, which she knew, or at least hoped, Caroline would just love.

As bedtime got closer, Caroline was anxious to get a glass of milk and a cookie ready for Santa. Having set these out, Caroline changed into her pajamas and brushed her teeth before climbing into her bed and calling for her mom. Samantha walked into her daughter's room to tuck her in, just as she had done every night for the last four years. She could not help a flicker of a smile from crossing her lips as she thought that, while her ex-husband may have hurt her financially and emotionally, she had ended up with the better end of the deal, raising her daughter and tucking her in every night. As she kissed her goodnight, she silently wished that Caroline would not grow up too fast.

Samantha returned to her small, yet quaintly furnished living room, and as she settled in for the evening, her thoughts returned to Rebecca. She wondered how the lawyer was enjoying her evening. As it happened, a similar thought was crossing Rebecca's mind, wondering about Samantha, at precisely the same time.

Christmas morning came, and with it, an excited seven year old bouncing on Sam's bed. "Mommy! Mommy! Santa came! Get up!"

"Well alright!" laughed her mother. "Well, then, let's see what he got you, shall we? But first, mommy needs to pee and get some coffee. Why don't you run into the living room -- no wait, walk! Walk, into the living room, and figure out which present you want to open first, and I'll join you there in just a minute"

Looking at her clock as she roused herself, Sam groaned as she saw that it was not yet 7 o'clock. "Thank god it's only once a year," she muttered as she pulled on her robe. Once she had started the coffee maker gurgling, she walked through to the living room to an excited daughter who was practically climbing the walls with excitement. God, I hope she likes them, Samantha thought as she sat down. "OK, so which one is it to be?"

"This one, I want this one"

"Well alrighty then, let's see what's in it? Who's it from?"

"Santa! It's from Santa!"

Caroline started tearing off the wrapper and found a puppy, a stuffed puppy inside, which Samantha had found in a mark down bin at Wal-Mart. "Oh mommy, he's so cute! How did Santa know -- I didn't even have this on my list?"

"I don't know, hon. He's just good like that"

As the wrappers flew off, Caroline grew more and more excited, if that was even possible, her face glowing with pleasure. Samantha gradually relaxed, realizing that she was going to survive; her daughter was not disappointed. Quite the opposite. Somehow, even though she was sure that Caroline would love all that she had bought, there was still the doubt that, because there were none of the expensive toys, or name brand clothes, that her daughter's school friends were undoubtedly unwrapping about now, Caroline clearly wasn't disappointed.

After all the excitement was over, the wrappers disposed of, and the list for thank you notes compiled, Samantha set about making breakfast for them. Meanwhile, Caroline settled in to her remarkably sparse haul of gifts, in Samantha's mind, but it did not bother her daughter. Maybe she gets it better than I do. Maybe I am just so anxious to not disappoint her, that I'm missing the point altogether, she mused. As if reading her thoughts, Caroline looked up at her mom as she saw her. "Mommy, I wish all children could be as lucky as I am, but they're not, are they?"

"No, angel. No, they're not"

"Could I share some of my gifts with them?"

"If that's what you would like to do, angel, of course you can," Samantha replied, her voice close to cracking.

"And Mommy, you know what the best part of Christmas is for me?"

"No honey, what is it?"

"Having you here. And then we get to see Rachel and Jemima, and then Jenny too. That's the best part. But mostly you."

"Aww!"

"Thank you, Mommy."

"For what?"

"For being my Mommy."

"Oh angel! Come here!"

Samantha wrapped her arms around her daughter in a deep embrace, as tears rolled down her cheeks. She definitely gets it.

After breakfast and a relaxing morning, Samantha and Caroline readied themselves to visit and eat lunch with Jamie and her family. Samantha changed into a knee length, woolen skirt and a plain white blouse, while Caroline wore her obligatory faded jeans and Disney Princesses sweat top. Jamie had instructed Samantha not to worry about preparing any food, as she was going to take care of everything this year; "We can discuss arrangements for next year in a year's time," she had told her, and Samantha's protests had fallen on deaf ears. So, donning their jackets and collecting the bag with the very modest presents that Samantha had bought for everyone, they walked along the street to Jamie's at just before one.

"Come in! Merry Christmas!" Jamie enthused as she opened the door. "I hope you're hungry, Caroline?"

"She's always hungry," laughed her mother. "Hi! Merry Christmas, Jamie! Where is everyone?"

"Oh they're all through in the living room. Come on through. Here, give me your coats, I'll hang them up for you."

"Come on, angel, let's put these under the tree," Samantha suggested as they walked through.

As they entered the living room, all lit up with lights hung round the walls and a beautifully lit tree in the corner, the girls squealed with excitement on seeing each other. As they rushed upstairs to Rachel's room Jamie called after them "Half an hour girls!"

"Hey John, Merry Christmas! How are you?"

"Good, thanks! Merry Christmas! How about you?"

"Actually, really good, thanks."

"Well that's great! Anything in particular causing that?"

As Jamie sat down, Samantha recounted her Christmas morning, and how Caroline's reaction had moved her to tears. "And then there's Rebecca," she continued.

"Who's Rebecca?" Jamie inquired.

Samantha explained how she had met the lawyer, the fun that their daughters had had together, and how much she had enjoyed Rebecca's company.

"Well that's wonderful, Sam!" exclaimed Jamie.

"So what about you guys; what's been going on with you? How has your Christmas been?"

"Not much to tell really. It's been fun, rather laid back, which I like. The girls were excited, of course, and did VERY well from both Santa and the grandparents, thank you very much! But, no, it's been quiet mostly, kinda nice, actually!"

"Well all except for my office party," interjected John.

"Oh god, yes! I'd forgotten about that!"

"Why, what happened?"

John explained. "Well, as always, wives, husbands and significant others are invited, and it was held this year at that new upscale restaurant downtown. You know the one - on the corner of 9th and Main?"

"Oh yes, what's it called? Simply Divine?"

"Yes, something like that. Divine Something? Simply Heaven?"

"Delightfully Divine, dear," corrected Jamie.

"Oh, right, yes. Anyway, so we get there and the office managers and their wives are all there already, gathered round the bar, and obviously already well oiled, but not many others had arrived yet. We grab a drink at the bar -- and it's all paid for, you know, by the company. So I got a beer, and I think, Jamie, you had a Martini? Well we sit down and are talking together, and a few others drifted in. But by the time the meal starts, David, one of the junior partners, is pretty well sloshed. His wife, Jacqui, is pissed -- at him, that is.

"Anyway, so we order our food -- also paid for -- and as we're eating, talking and drinking, Jeffrey's wife, he's another junior partner and he's also pretty well wasted, and his wife, umm, Cyndi, I think, she starts hitting on Jacqui!"

"On Jacqui?! Oh my!"

"Yep! After the meal, and the floor was cleared to make way for the dance floor -- we had the place to ourselves - these two women are up there dancing together while their men are just, you know, out of it. Not quite passed out, but pretty close. And let me tell you, both women are gorgeous, simply stunning. So they're doing the whole dirty dancing thing, and there are others on the floor as well, of course. Next thing we know, they're locked in a major smooch and Cyndi has her hand inside Jacqui's top. They disappeared shortly after that. Nobody knows where they went to, but rumor has it that they ended up at some hotel for the rest of the night."

"Really? Wow!" Sam exclaimed, yet she also seemed to have a faraway look on her face.

"It was the hottest damn thing I've ever seen, let me tell you."

"Lord help me! My husband is a dork!" Jamie laughed, shaking her head in mock dismay. "Anyway, lunch should be about ready. Let me just get it dished up and we'll be ready. Would you like to come through, Sam, I'll get you a drink?"

The two friends walked through to the kitchen and chatted, while Jamie served out the food, and each enjoyed a glass of wine. "Sorry about him, he's incorrigible! But it's kinda funny, all the same, isn't it?"

"Hmm? Yes, oh yes. Not the usual office party antics one expects, with the junior party screwing the big-boobed secretary."

"Are you ok, Sam? You seem rather, distant."

"Oh yes, I'm good Just thinking."

"About Rebecca? Do you like her?" Samantha had told her neighbor of her bi-sexuality long ago.

"Yes, Rebecca. And... I don't know. I like her company, based on one afternoon, so it's too early to say. Plus she's straight. She's a widow. But, there IS something about her. "

"Well, time will tell. When are you going to see her next?"

"This afternoon -- we're going over there about four."

"Well, then, I hope you all have fun. Let's eat."

They carried the food through to the dining room together, as Jamie called for the girls and John to join them. Jamie had prepared a full Christmas dinner -- turkey, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, and, of course, gravy and stuffing. It was wonderful! Everyone was talking and laughing at once, or so it seemed, all through dinner, but the subject of Rebecca was not broached again between Jamie and Samantha, for which Samantha was grateful. Although John was a wonderful man, she really did not want him leering at the prospect of her together with another woman, and she certainly did not want to let on to Caroline that she liked her friend's mom.

Once the women had cleared away the plates and they had returned with the rest of the family to the living room, john clapped his hands together and announced, "Present time! Me first."

"Hey!" exclaimed Rachel.

John smirked and picked up a slender package, and handed it to Samantha. "This is for you, Sam, dear, from the both of us. And no arguments."

"Oh, wow! Thank you! What is it?"

"Open it mommy!" cried Caroline.

"You heard the girl," encouraged Jamie. "Go ahead." She was smiling all over her face as she watched Samantha's fingers sliding under the corner of the wrapper, tearing it open neatly. "Come on mommy! Hurry up!"

"Ok, ok! Hold on, angel! Gee!" laughed her mom. "Oh my gosh! Oh wow. Oh guys, you shouldn't have. I can't" In her hands, she held two one hundred dollar bills.

"We said no arguments, hon. It's yours; we want you to have it, and I know you can use it," Jamie explained.

Samantha leaned over to her friend, hugging her tightly. As Jamie returned the hug as Samantha sobbed, "Oh, Jamie, thank you, thank you, thank you. You really shouldn't have, but thank you; you are a life saver!"

"You're welcome, Sam. Enjoy it."

"I'm almost embarrassed to give you this now," Samantha said as she recovered herself, and handing Jamie a small present. "And this one's for you, John. Thank you again."

"You're welcome, hon." As John unwrapped his gift, Jamie squealed with delight and wrapped her arms around Samantha again. "I love it! Thank you!"

"What is it, mom?" Jamie's elder daughter asked.

"It's that silk scarf I told you about, John. Rachel, Jemima, look, isn't it pretty? Sam and I were out shopping at the mall a few weeks ago, and I commented on how pretty it was. But how ever did you afford it, Sam? They weren't cheap, as I remember"

Samantha smiled. "I looked around, and found the same thing for a fraction of the price somewhere else."

"You're a remarkable woman; do you know that, Samantha Jones? Thank you!"

"And thank you for mine, too, Sam. This is great, I love it." John held up his gift, a very brightly colored tie. "I love ties."

"I know you do; you think I haven't noticed how you always wear such bright ties when you leave for work." Samantha felt very proud of herself, pleasing both her neighbors for less than twenty dollars. "And now, Rachel, Jemima, I think there is one for each of you too, would you like to look?"

The girls fished out their presents, and there was one for Caroline too, from Jamie and John. The two sisters were equally pleased. Rachel's T-shirt was adorable, and Jemima was excited about her beading set. Caroline was pleased also, with the bracelet she received from Jamie and John.

Soon it was time for Sam and Caroline to head out, so that they could get over to see Rebecca and Jenny. Sam gave both John and Jamie a big hug as they prepared to leave. "Thank you, again. For everything," she said to each of them in turn. "And you two!" she smiled as she stooped down to hug the two girls, who looked both angelic and mischievous at once; "You each have a wonderful Christmas afternoon, you hear me?" Caroline also gave Rachel and Jemima a hug.

"You'd think we were not going to see each other for months, wouldn't you?" chuckled Jamie.

"I know, right? Love you guys"

"Love you too, Sam. And you, too, Caroline; love you, sweetie."

"Ok, young lady, are you ready to go see Jenny now?" Sam asked her daughter as they were getting into the car.

"Yes! Yes! Yes!" came the excited response.

"Well, alrighty then, let's go!"

Rebecca greeted them at the door fifteen minutes later with a warm smile. Just behind her in the hallway, Jenny could be seen hopping from one foot to the other. Sam giggled. "Is she excited, or need to pee?"

"Excited. At least, I think,"

As Rebecca met them at the door, she embraced Sam. "Come here, you! Happy Christmas, hon!"

"Happy Christmas, Rebecca"

"And Happy Christmas, Caroline! How's your day been so far?"

"Great thanks! Happy Christmas, Mrs. Ridley," Caroline returned, returning the hug her friend's mother gave her.

"Oh, come on now, just call me Becky."

"Happy Christmas, Becky!" Caroline's cheeks turned red with pleasure.

"Oh, I'm sorry, do you prefer Becky?" Sam asked.

"Either's good, so no sweat."

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 14 milliseconds