Lilac Blossom Ch. 01

"But you prefer Becky?"

"I like both, honestly; most of my friends and relatives, Jenny's friends, have all called me Becky since I was a kid, as did Tom. My parents always insisted on Rebecca, of course. But, I actually have come to prefer Rebecca, if truth be told."

"Ok, I don't feel so bad, then!"

"Oh nonsense, there's no need to feel bad either way! Come on through. Jenny, do you and Caroline want to come and join us for a while?"

"Sure Mom!"

"She's so polite! You must be proud of her?"

"Oh, she has her moments, like any kid. But yes, I'm very proud of her. She knows how to behave when she needs to. The same can be said for Caroline. She's always so sweet and polite when I see her at school."

"Don't be fooled! She may be my angel, but she has a streak of the devil in her once in a while!"

"Mom!"

Both women laughed. "I'm just teasing you, angel. She's really very well behaved most of the time, and her teachers always complement her behavior. I think I'll keep her!" her mother said, as she hugged her daughter tightly round her neck.

As they all sat down, the two girls on the sofa, the women each in one of the chairs, Rebecca suggested to her daughter that she hand out the presents. "But you're not allowed to open them until they are all handed out," she warned her guests.

"Well, if that's the game, I'd better have Caroline hand ours out too. Angel, would you hand these out please?" as she passed her daughter the bag she had brought in with her.

Once all the gifts were distributed, Rebecca held a thick envelope, each of the girls held a neatly wrapped package, as did Samantha. "Ok, ladies, let's open them," announced Rebecca. Rustling and tearing of wrappers ensued.

"Oh mommy, look!" cried Caroline. "A Princess nightie, and an invitation to a sleepover!"

"Oh wow! When is it?"

"New Year's Eve"

"Well, that's very nice. Say thank you!"

"Oh thank you, Becky, thank you Jenny. Can I go, Mommy?"

"Of course you can!" smiled Sam.

"What did you get, Jenny?" asked her mother.

"Some furry slippers, they're neat! Thank you Mrs. Jones, thank you Carrie!"

"You're very welcome, hon. And it's Sam, please."

"Thank you, Sam. I'll wear them at the sleepover! What did you get Mom?"

"Well, I got a very nice invitation, and a beautiful silk scarf, folded up inside this envelope. Thank you, Sam; it's very pretty, and I'd love to."

"What's it an invitation to?" Jenny urged.

"To dinner with Sam at her home. Which I accept gladly," smiled the lawyer.

"I'm sorry it's not much, but I owe you, and, it's my pleasure," Sam said, blushing slightly.

"Oh nonsense, you don't owe me a thing, but I'd still love to come. And you'll come over for New Year too? There's a spare bedroom, so you'd me more than welcome to stay"

"Oh wow! I hadn't really thought that far ahead, but, sure, why not, it might be fun. Thank you!"

"You're most welcome. Besides, if I have two hyperactive young girls here, I'm sure I'm going to need some adult company to keep me sane," she laughed. "Just bring an overnight bag; nothing else, ok?"

"Umm, can't I at least bring some wine or something? Some deserts?"

"Absolutely not! I insist!"

"Well, ok, then, since you insist," giggled Sam.

The remainder of the evening was very pleasant. The two mothers settled in to a night of easy, casual conversation and watching "Coyote Ugly," not a terribly festive movie, but one that turned out to be a favorite for both of them. The girls disappeared into Jenny's room, giggling. Later, about an hour before it was time for Samantha and her daughter to leave, Rebecca served mince pies, at which Sam squealed with delight.

"Oh my gosh! Where did you find them?"

"At the import store downtown."

"How did you know?"

"I did a little research. I figured I would try to make you feel a little more at home. I asked the guy behind the counter what was the most traditional English festive dessert, and he suggested either these or Christmas pudding. That looked a little much for me, but these, I figured we could all enjoy them."

"That is SO sweet of you! Thank you. I LOVE mince pies!"

"What are mince pies, mommy?" asked Jenny.

"I'm not entirely sure, so let's find out, shall we?"

Jenny clearly was not sure, and screwed up her nose a little after she tried a taste, at which the women laughed affectionately. "It's ok, hon. There's some chocolate pie in the fridge if you prefer," chuckled her mother. "Why don't you get some for Carrie too?"

At which invitation, Jenny leapt up from the couch and practically ran into the kitchen. A few moments later she reappeared, beaming all over her face, with two dishes, each containing a good-sized portion of chocolate pudding pie and whipped cream. Handing one to Caroline, who had already devoured her mince pie with relish, she sat back down to consume her prize. She looked up at her mother, then at Samantha, and, seeing that both women were smiling, and watching her in silence, she giggled. "What?"

"Nothing, sweetheart. You're just too cute for your own good sometimes, is all," smiled Rebecca, answering for the both of them.

As the evening wound to a close, Rebecca rose to collect her guests' jackets.

"Well, it's been just lovely. Thank you so much for inviting us. This has truly been one of the most enjoyable Christmases that I can remember," gushed Sam on the threshold.

"It has for me too. Thank you for coming." As Rebecca spoke, she took Samantha's hand and squeezed it tenderly. Sam felt a shiver run down her back. "Cold?"

"No," laughed Samantha. "Just ..." She trailed off, that same faraway look in her eyes.

"Well, thank you again for coming. See you in a week?"

"Absolutely! Wouldn't miss it!"

And so, they parted. Rebecca remained on the doorstep, watching, as Samantha pulled out with Caroline safely ensconced in the back seat. As she drove them home, Sam could not help her mind running through all that had happened that day, and especially during the evening, from Jamie's inquiry as to whether Sam liked Rebecca, to Rebecca's words as she accepted her invitation, and especially, to that squeeze of her hand. Lady, you could be in trouble here, she mused. But she's straight, as a dye. You are being ridiculous.

"Mommy, are you alright?" The question from the back seat startled her.

"Oh yes, angel, thank you. Mommy is just thinking. And tired."

"What are you thinking about?"

"Oh, nothing special," she lied.

"Is it Becky?"

Damn! Even my seven year old sees it!

"No. Well, yes. I was just thinking what a lovely evening we had." She caught her second lie in less than a minute, and replaced it with a half-truth. What is WRONG with you, woman? "Did you two have fun too?"

"Yes! It was awesome! And we're going to spend New Year's Eve with them too?"

"Yes we are," laughed her mom. "That's something to look forward to, isn't it?"

"I can't wait!"

Samantha could not help but giggle at her daughter's enthusiasm, which mirrored her own. Why are you so taken with this woman? What is it about her? She left her own question go unanswered.

As she settled down in bed later that night, her thoughts drifted back to Rebecca again, and to that hand squeeze. Aren't you just reading a little too much into that? It was just a friendly gesture. Later: Aren't you just getting a little ahead of yourself here? Besides, she's straight. And you're not exactly Miss Dyke of the Year, are you, now? What would Caroline think? Yet, she could not stop the thoughts coming. As she drifted off to sleep, the image of Rebecca's smiling face filled her thoughts, and of that same face gently leaning in closer, closer, smelling her perfume, feeling her breath as their lips touched, ever so gently.

****

It was late in the afternoon of the 31st, New Years Eve, and the Jones household was in a state of excitement. The week had flown by, although, in Samantha's mind, it seemed that each successive hour and minute passed by slower than its predecessor did as Friday drew closer. Nevertheless, Friday had arrived, and the clock now stood at 4 o'clock; already they had showered, and were currently dressed in jeans and T-shirts, mother and daughter alike. Samantha was busy preparing some food for them while they watched one of Carrie's favorite Disney movies, Finding Nemo, to help pass the time. Caroline came bounding into the kitchen, like a tightly coiled spring, waiting to be unleashed. "Is it time yet?"

"No honey," laughed Sam. "Why don't you play one of your games for five minutes, and then it will be?"

Caroline slouched off out of the kitchen, a picture of despondency. Sam giggled. "You're too much, you know that, don't you, angel?" she called after her.

"Yes, Mommy, I know!"

Five minutes later, Sam brought through the food -- ham and beans, one of Carrie's favorites -- and they ate while watching the movie once more. Once it was over, for the second time, Sam took the dishes to the kitchen and loaded the dishwasher; then it was time to get ready. The two of them slipped into the clothes that they had already selected -- Sam had chosen a simple lavender-colored, short-sleeved dress -- and, once Sam had applied her makeup and a little perfume, they were ready.

Arriving at Rebecca's shortly before six -- Samantha prided herself on her punctuality - they were met at the door by Rebecca dressed in a flowing white skirt and a figure-hugging pink cashmere sweater. She looked radiant. As Sam stepped out of the car and glanced at the beauty stood before her, she gasped; her heart skipped a beat, and a shiver ran simultaneously up her spine back down to her loins, and, just for a moment, her knees almost gave way, causing her to stumble slightly as she alighted.

Rebecca stepped toward the older woman. "You OK there?"

"Oh yes, thanks," Samantha blushed. "I seem to have a habit of making less than graceful entries, don't I?"

Rebecca chuckled as Samantha and Caroline -- who, unlike her mother, had exited the car without incident -- approached. "Hi," she grinned.

"Hi yourself! You look beautiful. Doesn't she Carrie?"

Caroline's response went unheard as the two women embraced. "Thank you, sweetie. So do you. I'm so glad you could make it,"

"I wouldn't have missed it for the world."

"And welcome Carrie!" Rebecca smiled at the younger Jones as she released her mother. "Jenny is in her bedroom and will be down in a moment. Come on in, both of you." She took their jackets and the overnight bags from the doorstep. "Actually, won't you follow me upstairs, and I'll show you to your room, Sam. Carrie, come up too -- you know where Jenny's bedroom is."

She escorted them up the single flight of stairs and knocked on Jenny's door. "Open up, Carrie's here, honey." The door swung open, and the two friends immediately launched into a cacophony of animated chatter.

"This way," as she led Sam down the hallway. That's my room there, this is yours," she led her guest into the adjoining room. Make yourself comfortable. The bathroom's across the hall, though you do have a sink in the corner there," she pointed to a closet door. The room was gorgeous, with the queen sized sleigh bed dressed in a pale green and pink, lacy linen set, matching drapes, with a chest, nightstand and dresser to match the bed.

"Oh wow, this is beautiful. This is the guest room?"

"Yes -- the furniture was Tom's choice, the linen's mine, of course. My room, our old one, is a little less imposing. All this dark wood is a little much for my tastes."

"May I see?"

"Of course."

She led Sam back to her own room, which was decorated with an exquisite white suite, with a distinct cottage feel to it. The linens and drapes -- matching, of course -- were in a soft lilac, with frilled details and edging. The room was huge -- adding to the cottage feel of the furniture, as it seemed smaller than it might in a smaller room. In the corner sat a white, upholstered rocking chair and lamp table, a pretty lamp atop, with a frilly shade to match the rest of the décor. On the opposite wall, three doors led to two walk-in closets and an en suite full bathroom. And it was all spotlessly clean and tidy.

"Wow! It's gorgeous. This is what I call a bedroom. And I just love the color scheme -- I love lilac. It's beautiful, Rebecca!"

"Thank you," she smiled. "Glad you like it. Ready?"

Samantha gave her friend a quizzical look.

"To go back downstairs."

"Oh, sure."

Rebecca giggled at Sam's blush. "Come on then."

After checking in on the girls, the two women headed back down the stairs to the living room, where Rebecca lit an aromatic candle.

"Hmm, lilac! That's one of my favorites," exclaimed Sam.

"Me too."

Sitting herself next to Samantha on the sofa, Rebecca looked directly into Sam's eyes, and her soul, or so it seemed to the elder woman. They held the gaze for a minute longer than might be considered normal for mere friends.

"Oh come here, you, I'm so glad you could make it," gushed Rebecca as the two embraced. Gently kissing each other's cheeks, Samantha responded

"Oh me too. I'm so pleased I met you." Sam held on to her tightly. Inside, she was aglow. It felt as if her insides were melting, as if her inner core was molten lava, and it was beginning to seep out through the one available fissure. She felt a little light-headed. She felt herself gently swaying with this gorgeous, gregarious and most engaging woman in her arms.

"Mmm, me too hon," she repeated dreamily. A squadron of butterflies was deploying inside her, and someone had installed an amplifier on her heart.

Breaking their embrace, Rebecca inquired, "OK, what's it to be, lady? A movie? Music? A dance?"

"A... a what? A dance?"

"Sure, why not? It's New Year's Eve isn't it?"

"I guess so. Heck, why not? Let's do it!" And with that, Sam leapt up and swept the lawyer onto her feet too. "What ya got? Rock'n'Roll? Dance? R&B?"

"How about.... this?" Rebecca purred as she lightly touched the stereo, and The Righteous Brothers' soulful voices drifted out, singing "Unchained Melody".

"Oh!" Samantha exclaimed. And a smile slowly lit up her face as she leaned into Rebecca, and pulled her in.

"This was unexpected, but who am I to disappoint such a beautiful woman?" Rebecca simply smiled at the comment. Samantha rested her head on the lawyer's shoulder, enjoying the closeness and warmth of her body. She could feel Rebecca's breasts squashed up to her own, feel her hardening nipples through her bra pushing into her own flesh, as she felt her own nipples harden almost painfully.

The feeling was exquisite. She could smell Rebecca's floral perfume -- not at all overpowering, just subtle, womanly, and beautiful, like Rebecca herself. As she molded her own body into Rebecca's, and they slowly started to rotate in the middle of the living room, the world slid imperceptibly away, until all that was left was her and Rebecca. Rebecca's head, like her own, was rested on her partner's shoulder. Sam's entire consciousness was focused on this woman in her arms. Her body was all a-tingle; she could feel every contour of Rebecca through her dress, her every oh-so graceful move, as their legs entwined as they rotated. No, glided. To describe their movements as rotating seemed so ordinary, so run-of-the-mill. She felt like they were gliding on air. She felt Rebecca's mound pressed against her own, and her felt herself moisten as they held each other close.

Sam turned her head, and lightly brushed Rebecca's slender neck with her lips. She felt, rather than heard, Rebecca's moan reverberating against her shoulder.

"That's nice" Sam continued her light touches with her lips, moving up behind the blonde's earlobes.

"Mmm," came her reward. Inhaling deeply, Sam felt that she was breathing Rebecca into her very core; she could feel her very essence fill her lungs, she felt that her heart was pumping pure Rebecca through her veins and arteries.

As the song came to an end, the strains of Berlin's "Take My Breath Away" wafted over them. Rebecca turned her head to meet Sam's, and she gently pressed her lips against Sam's. Sam felt her knees weaken. Her senses were swimming in a sea of Rebecca, and she wanted to drown in her. They exchanged kisses, mere brushes against the other's lips, inhaling each other, she could feel her heart double timing in her chest -- or was it Rebecca's? It must be Rebecca's on reflection, since her own had melted into the lava, along with her loins, which were also now molten heat. As the song ended, Rebecca loosened her grip, and a more up-tempo tune filled the room. Rebecca took Sam's hands and led her waltzing round the room. So they continued, as their passion subsided, replaced with giggles and gleaming eyes and skin. Sam felt giddy from the mix of emotions and the energy coursing through her veins. Finally, exhausted, they both slumped onto the sofa.

"Oh, my goodness!" was all Sam could say. Her breathe ragged from exertion and emotion. "I don't know what to say. I had no idea. I thought it was just me. You planned it all, didn't you?" Her finger jabbed Rebecca's side playfully, eliciting a delighted squeal from the younger woman.

"Yes, yes, OK, yes! Stop! I did, yes. Stop, stop, no don't, don't stop! Oh stop! OK, OK! I surrender!" howled Rebecca, laughing helplessly as Sam continued to tickle her.

Allowing her friend to recover, momentarily, Sam asked her, "How did you know? What if you had been wrong?"

"I'm paid to observe people's reactions, and I saw it in your eyes, which were a reflection of how I was feeling," she returned.

Sam leaned into her, kissed her once more, tenderly, gently, and lightly brushed the strands of blonde hair from Rebecca's eyes with the back of her hand as she did so.

"I'm so pleased you did. I was so taken with you from the first moment I saw you, but so sure that you couldn't return the feeling."

"Why? You're beautiful."

"I figured you were straight, that you would have no interest in a woman, in me. I was just so grateful to find a new friend, I assumed it was my lonely heart jumping to conclusions and running away with itself."

"Well, now you know. I'm not, even though I was happily married to Tom, and I am, very, very much interested in you. You're a beautiful, wonderful, amazing woman, Samantha Jones."

"Thank you," smiled Samantha. "So are you, you know. You do know that, don't you?"

"Only when I look in your eyes. I didn't, honestly. I figured I was done, on the shelf, but when I see my reflection in your eyes, the way you look at me, I can see myself anew, as you possibly see me."

They kissed again, and embraced warmly, lovingly.

"So, my dear, would you like a glass of wine? We have a whole evening to fill."

"That would be lovely, thank you."

That night, as Sam lay in the guest bed, she had a contented smile on her face. They had spent the remainder of the evening alternately cuddled up together watching movies, eating, drinking a little wine entertaining, or being entertained by, their daughters. More tender kisses were exchanged on the stroke of midnight, and motherly kisses for each of their daughters. And while, it was obvious to all assembled, that a different stage of their relationship had begun, the women had decided that it would be best if they slept in separate beds, for their daughters' sakes. But it was evident to both, that the new year, and the new decade, would bring with it a new tide.

***

The sun shone brightly through the windows of the guest room on the morning of January 1, waking Samantha from her reverie. That and the aroma of freshly brewed coffee. Stretching, she yawned and checked her watch. She checked again, to be sure she had read it correctly -- sure enough, it insisted that it was 10:05am.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 214 milliseconds