Midnight Sunrise

"Josh, it's good to see you," said George Farmer, a neighbor from up the street.

George and his wife June had been fixtures in the neighborhood long before Josh and Veronica had moved in. George was a retired building contractor who was known for being very handy with a set of tools and generous about lending out his skills to the other people on the block.

"You too, George. Did June make her world famous bean salad?"

"Can you imagine her coming to this without it?"

They shared a laugh. June wasn't much of a cook, but she did make a mean bean salad. It had been her consistent contribution to this event ever since they started having them.

"I see Veronica is here tonight," commented George, "haven't seen much of her lately."

Josh was tempted to say, "Me neither," but refrained.

"Looks as if we are going to have a good turnout tonight," said Josh instead.

"Sure does...and whose this?" replied George in a friendly tone.

Josh turned to see Meghan and Travis coming toward the table with Katie holding tight to Meghan's hand while clinging to her leg at the time. He thought that Travis had the look of a man going to the gallows and not one about to attend a block party.

"Good evening," said Meghan pleasantly.

"Good evening to you. George Farmer, at your service," he said grandly taking her hand in his big paw.

"Dirty old man, " thought Josh as George failed to completely hide the way he was leering at the beautiful younger woman.

Meghan was dressed much the way he had first seen her in a pair of denim shorts and a t-shirt that hugged her in all the right places.

"Then again am I any better..."

Josh pulled his gaze from Meghan only to find Veronica watching him from the edge of the dessert table. He couldn't read the expression on her face, but strongly suspected she had noted his interest in their young neighbor and felt a sharp stab of guilt as he moved away to busy himself opening chip bags to accompany the meats.

"You didn't mention how beautiful the neighbor girl was..." said Veronica, who suddenly appeared at his shoulder.

"Well, Yes, I suppose she is an attractive girl. I'm sure Travis considers himself a lucky man," said Josh trying to sound neutral.

"Probably high maintenance though. I bet she's a hand full," Veronica went on.

"I couldn't say having just met her, but she seems nice enough."

He felt suddenly that he should defend Meghan though he knew it would probably look bad to Veronica; she didn't get a chance to comment again when the very subject of their conversation came walking up.

"Hello! You must be Veronica. It's nice to meet you. I'm Meghan Owen, and this is my husband, Travis."

Veronica took Meghan's hand looking her up and down in an appraising manner.

"Glad you could join us."

"Can I go play?" asked Katie quietly from between Meghan's legs. She had spotted the inflatable bouncy house that Trudy Gardner and her husband Ted had rented for the kids on the block to play in during the festivities. Several children had already stripped off their shoes and were inside shouting and jumping.

"Your Daddy would be glad to take you over," said Meghan bringing a frown to Travis's already stormy face, but he didn't say anything merely taking Katie by the hand and leading her away from the other adults.

"I'll go with you," offered Josh falling in next to the younger man.

The structure was rocking with the laughter of half-a-dozen kids, and Travis bent over to help Katie unlace her shoes.

"Be careful in there," he cautioned her.

"and have fun..." added Josh from behind.

The two men watched Katie slip through the safety netting, and tentatively begin to move around. She looked shy and awkward at first but gradually gained confidence and was soon bouncing high and giggling with all the other children.

"I love to hear little kids laugh. There is something about the sound that lightens the spirit, don't you think?"

Travis shrugged, "As long as it keeps her occupied."

"We're glad you could make it out tonight. It's always a good idea to get to know your neighbors."

"I've had a lot going on at work. This isn't a good time for me to be worrying about anything else."

"Oh...I know how important work can seem when you're just starting, but believe me when I say all the money and success you can acquire won't buy you another minute with the people that matter most."

"What's that supposed to mean? Are you trying to lecture me or something?"

Josh took a step back, surprised at the anger in the other man's tone.

"Not at all. Just making an observation, Travis."

"I'm trying to provide for my family, and right now that takes precedence over barbeque's and bouncy houses, but I wouldn't expect a man who never had children to understand that."

Joshes eyes narrowed, and he allowed some anger to seep into his voice, "You don't have to be a father to empathize with the mind of a child. We were all kids once. All I was saying is you might want to consider a wider point of view when it comes to work/life balance. It's just a friendly piece of advice."

"Look at her go!" said Meghan joining them.

"She has a bit of natural gymnast in her. Perhaps you guys should consider lessons?"

"I bet Katie would enjoy that. Don't you think so, Travis?"

Before he could answer the phone on his belt began to ring.

"You promised no work calls tonight," said Meghan.

Travis pulled the phone from the carrying case at his waist, "I have to take this it's the office."

He stalked away without acknowledging Meghan's words already lost in his phone call.

She sighed, shaking her head.

"Sorry. It's like I said he has a one track mind."

"I'm guessing his family is probably putting pressure on him to succeed. Rich folks can be that way," answered Josh sympathetically.

"To be honest, I think he probably needs the pressure. He had a few...Um...maturity issues with accepting his role in Katie's life early on."

"It takes some people a little longer to grow up, but it looks like he is at least trying," observed Josh.

Meghan smiled, "You're always so nice. I wish Travis could borrow some of your patience and generosity."

"I wasn't born like this...We all have to learn."

"I wish he would learn a little faster."

"Foods Ready!" shouted George from back over by the picnic tables.

"They're playing our song," joked Josh.

A veritable sea of hungry neighbors formed a long line holding paper plates clutched in their eager hands as they cycled by the tables. Josh had fallen in behind Veronica who stopped to dither over whether to get some of June's bean salad or try something different this year.

"Oh...By the way, I forgot to mention I have to fly out at the end of the week to L.A. for some meetings with a new corporate client. I'll be gone for a couple of weeks so I can't help you with the Nature Center gala."

"But...We do it together every year...It's our thing," said Josh caught off guard.

"It's not that big of a deal. You've done it so many times you could probably run it blindfolded."

"That's not the point. It was something we did."

Veronica glanced up from the table, catching the irritation in her husband's voice.

"This isn't the time or place to argue about this, I need to go, and you need to be a little more understanding."

"Understanding..." echoed Josh putting more frustration into that one word than seemed possible.

"That French dip looks delicious," cut in Meghan.

Josh hadn't realized that Meghan had gotten behind him and Veronica in the line, and now that they were holding things up she deftly sent a message that they needed to keep the line moving. Veronica blinked and nodded, taking a generous helping of bean salad and walking away.

"What was that all about?"

"Like she said it's nothing."

"It didn't sound like nothing."

"It's just...I'm on the board of this local children's nature center. It's a non-profit and once a year we throw a little party with a silent auction to raise funds to keep it open and operating. Veronica has helped me organize it in the past, but I guess I will have to wing it on my own this year."

"You know, I'm largely unoccupied during the day. I could help you if you like?" offered Meghan.

"I wouldn't want to bother you with it," said Josh trying not to sound too intrigued at the prospect.

"You would be doing me a favor. I need something to make me feel more involved. I really wouldn't mind at all."

"I could use the help. We can talk about it later, and I will walk you through how it works. Thanks, Meghan."

"What are neighbors for..." she said grinning.

"Where have I heard that before..." said Josh matching her expression.

They took their plates now filled with delicious food and joined their respective families at a nearby table. Meghan was helping Katie cut up her hot dog, and watching Travis with one eye as he stood pacing back and forth while talking on his cell phone some distance away.

"Could you guys keep an eye on Katie for me for a second?" asked Meghan, standing up from the table.

"Sure," said Josh as she marched off.

"Trouble in paradise," said Veronica drawing an unhappy look from Josh.

It certainly didn't look good with Meghan standing in front of Travis and the two of them exchanging some very pointed words and gestures though in such hushed tones no one could hear precisely what was being said between them. They returned to the table together with Travis taking a seat next to Meghan, but hardly touching his food and looking very unhappy throughout the brief meal.

"Thanks again for inviting us. I look forward to helping you with the gala," said Meghan later as she lifted Katie into her wagon. Travis had already started walking back toward his house his cellphone stuck to the side of his head once again.

"Yeah...Talk to you later," said Josh.

He watched them go and then returned to help pick things up.

"Did I hear Meghan say she was helping you with the gala?" said Veronica casually.

"Um...Yeah, since you're going to be out of town, she offered to help."

"Problem solved then I suppose. I won't have to watch you sulk for the rest of the week."

"It just would have been nice to do it together as we have in the past."

"It was always more your thing than mine. I'm sure Meghan will do a great job."

Josh knocked on Meghan's door late the following morning with a binder tucked under his arm. Meghan answered with her usual bright smile wearing a tank top today that showed way more cleavage than Josh was comfortable with and making him think he would have to spend most of the morning with his head down.

"Come on in," she said, holding the door ajar.

She led him into the kitchen where she had prepared a pitcher of lemonade. They took their tall glasses out onto the patio where Katie was busy playing with her dolls on the grass lawn. Josh spread out some papers on the small metal table where they sat.

"There isn't that much to it. We always do an outdoor thing with a big tent for cover, a live band, and cocktails, that sort of stuff. It's mostly just making a bunch of phone calls and scheduling with all the different vendors."

"I'm sure I can help with that. We could divide the list," she said reasonably.

Josh took a long drink from his lemonade.

"I'm sorry about the other day at the street party thing. Travis was rude."

"It wasn't a big thing."

"Maybe not...but it was embarrassing. He and I talked before about being more personable with the folks around here, but he seemed to forget that by the time we arrived."

"He probably had a lot on his mind."

She didn't seem willing to answer that returning to her drink.

A loud buzzing interrupted whatever reply she was going to make.

"Would you excuse me for a moment?" she said, getting up from the table with her phone and heading back into the house.

While he waited for her to return, he strode out onto the lawn, dropping down to all fours to see what Katie was up to with her dolls.

"Hello," she said in a sing-song voice.

"Hi there, Katie. What are your dolls doing?"

"Playing picnic...Mrs. Fluffer is making peanut butter and jelly for her friends."

Josh assumed the doll she was holding that had a large head of hair was likely Mrs. Fluffer.

"Do her friends like peanut butter and jelly?"

They like it lots just like me!" she said excitedly.

"Can she make me a sandwich too?"

"O.K.!" said Katie.

They lay on the grass, enjoying the warm weather while Josh carried on polite lunch conversation with an eclectic collection of personalities sprung from Katie's fertile imagination. He kept one eye on the door, excusing himself with a small bow when Meghan returned from inside the house.

"I wish Travis showed half-as-much interest in Katie's activities as you do," she said as he rejoined her at the table.

"Was that him on the phone?"

"Yes. He is going to be late again from work as usual."

"At least he is working hard to provide for her and you," said Josh fishing for something positive to say.

"He's having an affair," said Meghan matter-of-factly.

Josh nearly choked on his lemonade, then sat it down gingerly on the table.

"How do you know?"

"I don't have any evidence exactly, but all the signs are there, and this isn't my first rodeo with Travis. I told you he had a playboy reputation? Yeah, well, that didn't go away entirely when we met. I caught him being flirty with other girls a few times, and even after I got pregnant with Katie, there were late nights when his excuses were less than credible."

"I don't know what to say, Meghan. I'm sorry."

"It's alright. I knew what I was getting into with him. I deluded myself that when Katie came along, he would at least clean up his act for her if not me. I can see that I was nuts to think he would change his stripes."

There was an awkward pause before, "I shouldn't be dumping on you again. This is beginning to become a habit. I'm supposed to be helping you not using you as a therapist."

"I understand. I'm glad that you feel comfortable enough with me to entrust me with your problems."

"It's crazy, right? We just met and yet...I feel like I've known you years.

The way she looked at him made him feel decidedly uncomfortable. It showed a level of interest Veronica hadn't taken in a long time.

"So...getting back to the schedules," he said, trying to change the subject.

He carefully went over the list of calls that needed to be made, and Meghan made notes in the margin on her copy. Josh looked at his watch.

"I have a teleconference at 2:00 p.m. so I need to go. Thanks again for your help with all this stuff."

"It is my pleasure, Josh. Let me see you to the door."

They stood in her entryway with Meghan looking up at him.

"Just let me know if you run into any snags, or there is any trouble with the vendor list. I should also mention that as planners, we get into the gala for free if you and...Uh...Travis, want to come," he finished awkwardly.

"Thanks. I'll keep that in mind."

"Good luck, Meghan," he said, and then because it seemed like the right thing to do, he hugged her. It was the first time he had touched her this way since they met, and her warm, firm young body felt very lovely against his indeed. He found it took a supreme act of will to want to pull away, and an even bigger one not to embarrass himself by getting an erection while he was pressed to her. Meghan didn't make it any easier when she kissed his cheek, her silky smooth lips briefly tickling his skin.

Four days later, Veronica had her suitcase set out on the bed putting a few last minute items inside before she sealed it. Josh leaned against their dresser. He had been mostly silent while she packed just throwing in an occasional tidbit about her calling and checking in when she landed or reminding her that she should call her cousin while she was in L.A. and maybe have lunch. His wife had nodded a few times, seemingly very focused on her travel preparations.

"I guess I will see you in a couple of weeks," he said finally.

"Possible three...It depends...I'll let you know," she said zipping her bag closed.

"Veronica...I was thinking that when you get back from this trip...maybe, we could talk about that idea I had for fostering kids. We have tons of room here, and with our assets, we could be a real help to someone in need."

"I knew being around that neighbor kid was going to dredge this subject back up again," she sighed.

"Dredge what up? I'm not talking about adopting. I was talking about giving some kid who needs it a hand up."

"I can see this as a stepping stone to you wanting something more. I'm not in a place where I can spare the time and attention a kid like that would need, and I don't see you doing it on your own. Look, I need to get to the airport, so this isn't a good time as you already pointed out. Let me think about it..."

He could tell by her tone she was already dismissing the idea, relegating it to the back of her mind where she could build a proper lawyerly argument against it to use when she returned.

"Fine," he said.

She gave him a quick kiss on the cheek and was gone before the heat of her lips even cooled on his face.

There had been a time when they would have lingered in the entryway trading farewells until the taxi driver had laid on the horn. Those days were long over.

Now it was him watching from a second story window as the car carrying his wife pulled away from the curb. He let the curtain drop back, cutting the light from outside like a veil.

If it wasn't the best gala they had ever thrown it was darn close. Meghan had done an excellent job of organizing the delivery and setup of the large, outdoor tent along with plenty of seating for everyone. The band had set up under the nearby wood pavilion which allowed them to turn the courtyard in front of the nature center's main building into a makeshift dance floor. Josh had gotten a local catering company to throw in a small bar as a perk to draw people in, with two free drinks per person and all other proceeds being split with the center. The venue was filled with people from the local neighborhood dressed up for the occasion and prepared to bid on donated items from different businesses in town to help raise money for the many programs the center ran on behalf of the kids.

"You weren't kidding this place is hopping," said Meghan as she strode up from behind him catching Josh by surprise.

"Meghan! I'm...Uh...Glad you made it. You should see the fruits of your labor," said Josh turning around. He was trying with difficulty not to stammer like a teenager on his first date. Meghan had gone all out on her outfit for the evening, and she looked stunning in a short, black dress that showed off her tan skin beautifully. Her hair was teased into a curly halo around her pretty face, and her makeup highlighted her gorgeous features perfectly.

"I think you did most of the heavy lifting, but I was glad to pitch in."

"I think you are far too modest, but thanks. I guess Travis couldn't make it?"

"Are you surprised? No...but I got a sitter for Katie, so here I am."

"Would you like a tour?"

"Absolutely!"

Josh spent the next hour showing Meghan around the facility he had spent many years and hours of hard labor bringing into being including the classrooms where they showed off various small wildlife to the kids and taught them about conservation. They stopped by the aviary and outdoor gardens where the kids learned about growing food and the importance of birds to the environment.

"It's something. You must be very proud."

"I'll be a lot prouder when we get the money to keep it running for another year," he said, crossing his fingers.

He needn't have worried. Everyone was having a good time, and with the alcohol flowing the dance floor was soon full. Ordinarily, Josh held himself to just a drink or two, but for some reason, he was in a more festive mood than usual, and he and Meghan toasted their success multiple times during the evening until they were both a little tipsy.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 98 milliseconds