Monsters in the Mountains Ch. 04

"You lucky son of a bitch." Jason drawled with a smile on his face.

"There's a chance that I will be with one or two of our dads when I drop the horses off, and they're still learning about the three of us, so I hope you will speak with discretion on Sunday?" Jordan asked.

"A-ha! That was gonna be my next question: How do your families feel about it? Haven't told them yet, huh?" Jason asked, his grin growing larger. "You can count on me. I'll let you pull the pin on that grenade when I'm far away." He laughed. "Just remember to leave me Brutus and Rose in your will."

Jordan had to laugh, and he shook hands with Jason. Kaitlin came back. "What are you two over here laughing about?" She asked.

"Jason's planning on what to do with the horses when your dad kills me." Jordan said more seriously.

"He won't kill you, because he'll never find out." Kaitlin said confidently. "You're my monogamous boyfriend. That's all he gets to know."

Jason put his hands up in the 'no offense intended' gesture, and shook Kaitlin's hand goodbye. "I'll see you Sunday, Jordan. Park your trailer behind the barn before you go, unless you're looking to take it with you." He said as they drove away.

***

They didn't have time for a shower before Jordan had to meet with his advisor, so they drove to campus straight from the horse ranch. Jordan could smell the horses and the musk of the Bigfoot on himself, even though he changed into fresh clothes in his truck.

His advisor seemed to notice the smell as well, her nose crinkling as Jordan entered her office. Jordan took a seat, and his advisor seemed to take a few moments pulling up his file on her computer, which gave Jordan a chance to study the woman.

Erin Murray could easily be anywhere in age between thirty and fifty. Jordan noticed the wedding ring on her finger, and the piles of paper on her desk. She had cleaned up hastily, in an effort to appear more organized.

"Thank you for coming to meet with me, Jordan. I'm afraid we'll have to make this quick, as I have an appointment in half an hour." She told him.

"Yes, with Kaitlin Schmidt?" Jordan asked. Erin's eyebrows rose, and Jordan felt compelled to explain. "My girlfriend and I are pursuing the same major, we made the appointments back-to-back so that we could carpool."

Erin smiled warmly at him. "So she's here? You can invite her in if you want. It will save me time having to explain things twice, as long as you two don't mind hearing each other's answers to my questions."

Jordan nodded, and within a few moments, Kaitlin was seated next to him in the office.

"This is going to be a very intensive area of study for both of you. The next two years of your lives will be spent in classrooms and in the field. I'm glad to know that you will have a support network in each other, but I expect each of you to do your own work, and learn your own material.

"Do either of you know what you want to do after graduation?" Erin asked.

Jordan and Kaitlin smiled at each other. "We are each going to be pursuing work as EPA mine inspectors after graduation." Jordan answered for both of them.

Erin looked impressed. "I must admit, you don't strike me as the normal students pursuing Environmental Management. For starters, no dreadlocks, and I don't think that's patchouli that I smell."

"Horses, sorry. We didn't have time to shower after dropping them off." Kaitlin answered for both of them.

Erin peppered them with questions about why they chose the course of study, what they hoped to get out of it, where they were living, working, their undergraduate work, etcetera. Jordan noticed Kaitlin's naturally bright and fiery personality, and hoped that he didn't seem too dull in comparison. He was older and had a work history to discuss, and he noticed that Erin's eyes seemed to linger on Jordan more than on Kaitlin.

Finally, Erin gave them a rundown of the courses that would be needed for final graduation. The course load was equal parts science and national policy. At the end there would be a master's project, which would have to be presented.

Jordan was looking forward to the science part of the course work, but found himself dreading the policy and politics part. Kaitlin was similarly dreading the politics, but Erin assured them both that the material was presented by great professors who took their time to make the subject matter as painless as possible.

***

Forty-five minutes later, Jordan and Kaitlin left the office, and drove home. Jordan had a text from his father that his parents were climbing the hill to Monarch pass. They were making better time than he had expected, and would be there before he expected.

Jordan and Kaitlin went first to his apartment. His mouth fell open as he walked through the door. Almost all the furniture and decorations were new, with the exception of his television, which was mounted on the wall over a wooden entertainment center.

There were also a few knickknacks that Megan had kept, and matched the new decorations to. Jordan's wall clock was prominently re-hung above the couch, along with two framed prints that somehow went really well.

Kaitlin whistled, and he looked to see that she was as impressed as he was. "She knows you really well." Kaitlin said. "I think I'm going to have her redecorate my apartment next."

Jordan had to agree. The furniture, decorations and appliances all matched a certain aesthetic that felt incredibly familiar, even though he had never seen any of these items before. It was as though Jordan had poured his personality out into the room. It felt incredibly comfortable even as it oozed sophistication.

Kaitlin opened the windows, since there was a lingering wet paint smell, and lit some candles that Megan had placed on his new coffee table and kitchen table.

Jordan went into his room, and saw a whole new set of furniture, with the exception of his dresser. It was as though the dresser had been part of a bedroom set, and Megan had bought the rest of the pieces, even though Jordan's grandfather had built the dresser himself decades ago. The mattress was new, as were the sheets and a down comforter on the bed. Jordan lay down, and was shocked at how comfortable it felt.

With effort, he forced himself to his feet and went into the guest room where Kaitlin was checking out the new bed.

"It looks a lot nicer than the futon you had in here." Kaitlin said.

"I agree." He admitted. "I can't believe how fast Megan put all this together."

"And while taking new classes!" Kaitlin said. "I think we should keep her."

Jordan wrapped Kaitlin up in his arms and kissed her. He was distracted by the smell emanating from the both of them. "We need a shower. Want to join me?" He asked.

"You said your parents are running early. I'm not going to let their first impression of me being caught coming out of your shower. Besides, I promised Megan I'd be waiting in her apartment when she got home, showered and ready to help each other with hair and makeup." Kaitlin kissed him again, and stepped out of his embrace.

"You get cleaned up and be ready for your parents when they arrive. Offer them a drink, show them around town and campus, start dinner by 6:30." Kaitlin walked into the kitchen with Jordan following.

She opened the refrigerator and they found a glass pan with an unbaked lasagna in it. He had salad fixings and a loaf of Italian bread in his refrigerator too. There were several bottles of white wine and a variety of bottled beer. "No wonder she didn't sleep." Kaitlin marveled. "Megan must have been shopping every free moment."

When she had left, Jordan walked into his bathroom. There was a collared shirt hanging up, and a pair of chinos in his size. Megan had even bought him new shoes. He stripped, throwing his clothes into his new laundry hamper, and climbed into his shower. She had even bought him new shampoo and soap, replacing his 3-in-1 body wash/shampoo/conditioner with three separate bottles.

Jordan smelled each as the water warmed up. The smell was warm and manly. Megan had chosen well.

Jordan had time to shower and dress and even open his first beer before he heard a knock at his door. He opened it to see his parents, smiling broadly, and their arms full of stuff. His mother handed him a plant first. "Here's a housewarming gift for you...ooh." She exclaimed as she stepped into the apartment. She took a few more steps inside and looked around. "Are you sure you live here? Where's the ratty second-hand furniture that you own? And since when do you dress up for your parents?"

Jordan held the door for his father before following his parents inside, carrying the potted plant. Both of his parents were looking around, marveling at the changes in Jordan's abode.

"The guest room is right this way." Jordan said, showing his father to the correct room. "You can set your stuff down in there."

Beverly had her arms full of food, and she went straight to the refrigerator with her package. "Oh, lasagna, that looks wonderful. Since when do you cook Jordan?" She asked.

"Megan made it." Jordan said proudly.

"Speaking of Megan, when do we get to meet your new girlfriend?" His mother asked. She pulled a bottle of red wine out of her bag and set it on the counter.

"Can I offer you a drink?" Jordan asked, noticing she hadn't released her grip on the bottle of wine.

"That would be lovely, dear. Where's your corkscrew?" She replied. Jordan opened a drawer. Megan had organized his kitchen, so everything was still where she had put it. Next he pulled out a wine glass, and grabbed a beer for his dad, who soon came out of the guest bedroom and accepted the bottle.

"So," his mother pressed him. "Megan?"

"She'll be getting off work at six. She wants to clean up, so dinner will probably be around seven." Jordan explained.

He imagined his two women walking through the door just before seven. He had been over Megan's plan already, but was working on what to say to his parents. Megan had coached him on what to say, but as he ran over the short speech in his head, he felt his palms grow sweaty, and he took a long drink from his beer, nervous about what his parents would think.

They made small talk for the next half-hour. Jordan told them about his meeting with his advisor, what he had learned about the courses he would be studying. His parents asked to see the university, so they finished their drinks and walked to campus. His apartment building was just south of the college, so he took them on a walking tour of where he would be spending much of the next two years.

Western State University has a beautiful campus with lots of mature trees, and it looked like any other college campus with students in between their summer classes reading under the shade of the trees and throwing footballs and Frisbees around on grassy areas. He talked with his parents, feeling less nervous as long as he didn't think too hard about the storm that was brewing.

Finally, they made their way back to Jordan's apartment in time for Jordan to start pre-heating the oven. New drinks were opened and poured, and the three crowded outside onto the tiny little balcony, where Jordan discovered that Megan had bought him a nice patio bench big enough for three, which filled the space.

Time seemed to creep by for Jordan as his parents needled him for information about his life, his future, classes, relationships and work. They asked him about his new higher standard of living, worried that he was spending his savings before he was even sure he could get the gold out of the mine.

He was saved by the oven, beeping to let him know it was time to put the lasagna in. He got up and refreshed his drink, offering more to his parents, who accepted.

Finally, there was a knock at his door. Jordan wondered for a moment who it could be. Megan had never knocked on his door before, so with shaking hands he opened the door.

Megan and Kaitlin were both beautiful women under normal circumstances. Standing in dresses and full makeup on his doorstep, they were knockouts. Their blonde and red hair fell in wide curls. Their beauty and nervous smiles gave him a small shot of courage, and he stood aside welcoming them in.

His parents stood back, and Jordan couldn't read their expressions as two women entered his home. Jordan stood between the two women and put an arm around each of their waists, just like Megan had told him two.

"Mom and Dad, this is Megan," He pulled Megan in a little closer in a hug and released her. "And this is Kaitlin."

Beverly stepped forward first, hugging Megan, then she released her, and to Jordan's surprise, hugged Kaitlin with the same excitement she had shown Megan. Steven stepped in next, smiling broadly, and shook first Megan's then Kaitlin's hand.

Jordan studied his parents' faces. They were excited, not confused, not upset.

"I..." He faltered, trying to remember what Megan had told him to say. "I'm sorry to have deceived you before. I am dating Megan. I am also dating Kaitlin. They're both important to me, and I hope you can understand that they're both a big part of my life."

His parents' faces lost none of their excitement. "It's so nice to meet both of you." Beverly said. "Jordan's told us all about Megan, but he hasn't been very forthcoming about you, Kaitlin. Please come in! I want to hear everything!" She put an arm around Kaitlin, who seemed to relax a little.

"You're... not upset?" Jordan was confused. "This isn't the reaction I was expecting. You do understand that both of them are my..." Jordan thought back to his last visit to his parents' house. The phone conversation up on the roof. Their open window. "...You knew? You eavesdropped on my conversation and you knew?" Jordan asked.

Steven had the decency to look embarrassed. Beverly had gotten an arm around each woman, and was marching them into the dining room of the apartment.

"You were keeping so much from us. We just wanted to be a part of your life." Jordan's father told him. "We get it." He said, heading off Jordan's retort. "You are a grown man; you're entitled to your secrets."

"Somehow I thought there'd be a speech about morals and 'one man, one woman'." Jordan said, confused. His father stared at him for a long moment.

"Initially there was going to be." Steven said, gesturing to Jordan to follow the ladies into the apartment. "Your mother and I get that you're grown up. You have a life of your own. We may not agree with the choices you make, but given the choice between being shut out again and swallowing our tongues..." He stopped and looked at Jordan. "We trust you. I just hope you know what you're doing."

Beverly was having a similar conversation with Megan and Kaitlin in the kitchen. Beverly was tossing a Cesar salad while Megan was preparing the garlic bread, and Kaitlin was pouring wine.

"...so Steven wanted to sit him down and ground him, but I reminded him that he's a grown man. We only heard one side of his phone conversation, and I convinced him to wait for an explanation." Beverly was telling the women.

"That's not how I remember the conversation going." Steven said as he rounded the corner. Jordan could see a hint of concern on Kaitlin's face. Megan was facing away from him.

"Mom, Dad." Jordan stopped the argument in its tracks. "You eavesdropped on a private conversation. I'm glad that you can accept my relationships with Megan and Kaitlin, but what else did you... Learn about me?" He mentally crossed his fingers, hoping the next words out of his mother's mouth wouldn't include 'Bigfoot.'

Bev gave a nervous little shiver of energy, and squeaked "JANE'S PREGNANT!" She ran around the bar and hugged her son. Kaitlin's eyes bulged and Megan turned around, looking worried.

"We tried to get in to see her at the hospital, but that facility she's in had a 'no visitors' policy. We tried to find anything out about her, family, friends... Jordan, promise me that we'll get to meet her." Bev looked over at the women in the kitchen and mistook their expressions for surprise. "Oh dear, he told you that night, right? You already knew? I don't know what my son was doing with that Jane when he has both of you, but you do know I'm going to be a grandmother, right?"

Megan shook her head first, then Kaitlin spoke for them. "Of course. I just..."

"Mom, I can't promise you anything. If the day comes when Jane is ready to meet you..." Bev's face fell, and Jordan had to be more forceful. "We don't know if it's even my baby. I'm not going to promise you a part in her life until we know more."

Bev's face dropped and Jordan could see his mother fighting back tears. He hugged her, but she broke away. "I know in my heart that it's yours. Don't ask me how I know, but I do. You still have your secrets. I can accept them, whatever they are, but please stop lying to me." Bev said in a hoarse voice.

Jordan was at a loss for words, but Megan came to the rescue. "Jane's been through a lot. I'm not sure she'd want to meet you. But I will promise you, if the baby is Jordan's, you will get to meet it."

Jordan looked at her, wondering what game she was playing. Megan only smiled back, accepting the hug from the larger Bev.

"Okay, thank you." Bev finally said. "Enough secrets. I want to know everything. Where did you three meet, where do you actually work, and how does... this work?" She asked making a circle between the three with her pointing finger.

"Wine?" Kaitlin asked, holding up the bottle.

The five moved to the table, where wine and limited honesty loosened up the tension. Jordan stole a few glances at his father, who was smiling, but still seemed slightly uncomfortable.

The dinner was a hit. Megan was as good a cook as she was an interior decorator. Megan's plan all along had been for Jordan to break the news that he was dating two women. Let him take ownership of that to his parents.

After that, she and Kaitlin would hold up the conversation. They would take the salaciousness and amorality out of it. What jealousy? Jordan's not dating two women, all three of them were dating each other.

Bev seemed to eat it up. Jordan guessed that she was bursting to tell her circle of friends. She would have the best story, with the most gossip-worthy details.

Jordan thought of his old high-school classmates. He thought of his old high-school girlfriends. Within days, everyone in his old life would know about his relationships with Megan and Kaitlin. He found that he didn't care. That was his old life. At least his parents didn't know about his relationships with the Bigfoot.

Jordan looked over at his father. "You alright dad?" He asked.

The chatter at the other end of the table died off. "Of course. Just enjoying this delicious dinner." Steven said, looking up from his beer.

The conversation resumed. Bev was telling an embarrassing story about Jordan's first crush, and he took that as a cue to stand and clear the table.

"Let me help you with that." Steven said, lifting the leftovers off the table. "You girls sit, let the boys handle cleanup." The women 'awwed' in appreciation, and Bev returned to her story.

Once around the corner in the kitchen, Jordan found himself under a harsh stare from his father. "Alright dad, what's got you so upset?" Jordan asked.

"You're in love with them, aren't you?" He got directly to it.

"Yes." Jordan admitted.

"Normally this is the part where I'd tell you to make an honest woman of her, but there's two of them. I'm not sure that's possible, is it?" Steven asked his son.

"No, dad." Jordan agreed.

"I consider myself good at reading people. They love you too. They love each other. What does your future hold?" Steven asked levelly.

"How should I know dad?" Jordan asked, then realized how immature that sounded. "I'm not a fortune teller, but if I did have a crystal ball, I can tell you that I'd see the three of us together for the long haul."

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 10 milliseconds