Surefoot 24: Snakes on a Starship

Because my logic... fails me... where my godson is concerned.

You Caitians are annoyingly effusive with your emotions; even humans can prove to be more reserved. But based on the one whom I am in contact with on a regular basis, Caitian infants are on another level entirely. Bereft of sophisticated thoughts, and mercurial memory associations, he is pure instinct, pure emotion. There are times when I am holding him, and find I must strengthen my mental disciplines in his presence, such is the almost overpowering intensity of his feelings."

"Really? Don't Vulcan parents have the same problems with their infants?"

"No, the mesiofrontal cortex responsible for the Vulcan suppression of emotions is stimulated at a very early age through breast-feeding, and natural disciplines are instilled afterwards." She tightened her expression. "Misha makes me very aware of his love for those around him."

"Including you," C'Rash prompted with a smile.

"Yes. Including me. Perhaps I should speak with his parents; they had appointed me his godmother in order to provide a mature, objective influence in his life. If they knew the difficulty I have experienced in fulfilling my role, they might wish to reconsider their decision."

The Caitian's smile broadened. "I doubt that."

*

Deck 4 Mid -- Auxiliary Sickbay:

Ma'Sala heard the singing as she approached the section, but focused on Dr Kline and the unfamiliar Starfleet members milling about outside. The Klingon drew up to her. "These are medical staff from the USS Nautilus, here to run follow-up checks on the wounded. He refuses to let anyone he doesn't know near them. And he hasn't bothered to change, or clean up. I do not wish to summon Commander T'Varik, but-"

"I understand. I'll lead him out of the way." She entered, carrying the fresh uniform she thought she would need.

Inside, Hrelle was standing between the biobeds holding the unconscious Sasha and Misha, his hands on their hands, still singing to them: "So close your eyes on Hushabye Mountain / Wave goodbye to cares of the day / And watch the boats from Hushabye Mountain / Sail far away for Lullabye Bay..."

The Matriarch of the Shall Clan drew up to him as his song ended, seeing him tense at sensing her approach but otherwise not reacting as he recognised her scent. She stepped up to the other side of Misha's biobed, looking down and stroking the fur on top of the infant's head. "I remember when Kami was this tiny. I used to sing Hnall and His Crooked Tail all the time, even when she was still growing inside me. Then when she was out and about, that was the song she'd need to get to sleep. I ended up hating it... but I still obliged."

She looked up at her kin-son. "You stink, Esek. You need to wash and change your clothes. The Vlathi blood and scent is on you; it is not good to remind your family, in their current weakened states."

He looked up at her at that, suddenly realising the truth in her statement. He glanced out at the newcomers waiting to enter without being challenged.

"Doctor Kline will watch over them," she promised him dryly. "You can trust him. And we won't be long. Come with me."

He let her lead him out, into the now-deserted Evacuation Barracks, and to some of the group sonic showers. She helped undress him and guide him under one of the overhead shower units, aware of his physical and emotional exhaustion. "The Firetail will be with us soon."

He nodded blankly -- but then turned to her. "Good. I want you to take Kami and Misha back with you."

She blinked, her fur rising whenever her arms were touched by the sonic waves raining down on him. "Excuse me?"

He faced her fully. "I want you to take them back to Cait. It was a mistake to think I could have them here, not with the life I lead, the responsibilities I hold. It was insane to think I could have them here, insane and selfish. I'd have you take back Sasha too, but I know that she's an adult and I have no control over her."

"And you think Kami isn't an adult, and that you, that anyone, has control over her? Silly cub." She drew him out, smoothing down the raised fur on his body with her fingers before helping him into the fresh clothes. "My daughter knew what she was doing when she had Misha, and decided to remain in Starfleet, on this ship, and at your side. If she felt differently-"

"You think she won't feel differently after she wakes up? Her cub was nearly killed! How could I have been so stupid, allowing an infant to live onboard?"

"Many do. At least on Caitian vessels." After a moment, she added. "Kami did, after I had her. And she was nearly killed then, too."

Hrelle looked at her. "Killed?"

Ma'Sala guided him into his trousers. "She was two months old. There was a Ferasan terrorist attack; poison gas bombs beamed through holes punched into our shields. She needed cloned lung replacements."

He gasped. "She never said."

"She doesn't know. I had been so proud and happy to have her onboard my ship, with a whole crew of females to dote over her. Afterwards, though, the guilt ripped into me, like a blade." She reached behind, ignoring his reaction as she took his tail and guided it through the flap in the seat of the trousers. "I sent her back to stay permanently at our house in the Clanlands."

He nodded at that. "Good for you."

Ma'Sala faced him again, her face... sorrowful. "No. Not good for me. Esek, I missed so much of her life because of my fear and guilt. I missed her first crawl. Her first words. Her first walk and hunt and pounce and dance and her first day at school and her first date..."

Tears welled up in her eyes at the memory of it. "Mi'Tree and Bneea and the rest of the clan did their best to keep me informed, involved, sending me vivids and stills whenever they could, and of course I always came back to visit as much as I could. But it wasn't the same.

Is it selfish? Yes. And no. Think about what Misha would miss by not having you around, by having you as nothing more than a face and a voice on a screen, a long-distance parent. And you believe being on Cait is risk-free? There are dangers everywhere. Maybe they don't all appear as a hoard of snake assassins, but they're still there."

"But- with the Clan around, to watch over him- protect him- both of them-"

"You seemed to have formed a clan here already without us. Those cadets who followed you into battle, who risked their lives to save Kami and Misha? Do not dismiss that bravery so easily. And you'll have C'Rash, and that Vulcan, and all the others."

He grunted. "And how many of them might be like Dr Ling? At least we can trust our own kind."

She knelt and helped him into his boots. "Like Hrulish?" She sighed and rose again, grunting at her aches and pains. "I had made an offer to Kami earlier tonight to pass to you: if you wished, you could transfer yourselves to the Caitian Navy, you'd get a ship of your own, a patrol closer to the Motherworld, or maybe a posting on our station at Refuge. She said neither of you were unlikely to accept the offer. But that was before all this. Should you choose to accept, let me know.

But I have a feeling that you won't. And that might be for the best; I would rather see you out here, defending our people against threats before they ever reach Cait."

She put an arm around him and guided him back to Auxiliary Sickbay. "Oh, speaking of which, I was on a subspace channel to the Matriarch of Ptera's clan. Ptera had contacted her earlier to tell her of Hrulish and Sasha. She wishes to formally apologise to you for Hrulish's cowardice and deceit, that he has been removed from his position of authority within the clan's company, and she wants to assure you that his attitudes and actions do not reflect her clan as a whole."

He grunted. "When I look back on the events here, I will not be thinking of him, but of Ptera, fighting alongside us to help save Kami and Misha, before operating on my son and saving his life directly."

"Well said. She is also arranging for Sasha to receive the Order of R'Masi for her valour."

That made Hrelle stop. "Really? Well, anyone with doubts about Sasha's Caitianity won't say anything after she receives that honour. Come to think of it, I never received the Order."

Ma'Sala reached up and patted him on the shoulder. "Well, my kin-son, you keep your tail clean and your claws sharp, and someday you may catch up with my brave and beloved granddaughter."

Then the banter ceased as they heard familiar and welcome sounds from the Auxiliary Sickbay, and they rushed in to see figures stirring. Hrelle raced up to Misha's biobed, barely allowing the medical personnel to step aside as he looked into the wide, wondering eyes of his son. "My little Warrior Prince! Awake at last, and I never got to take advantage of you sleeping so long!"

"He's fully recovered," one of the Nautilus doctors was telling them, "Physical injuries and traumas fully repaired, vital signs strong. You can pick him up and treat him as normal, Captain."

Hrelle took the recommendation, carefully lifting Misha up and cradling him against his shoulder, breathing in his scent and purring, his heart racing as he felt his son purr back.

"Hey," started a hoarse, weak voice. "Bring him here, ass."

Hrelle turned, as he saw Kami struggling to sit up, Ma'Sala assisting her daughter in adjusting the bed and her gown as her husband complied, Kami weeping with unchecked emotion as she held her son and husband and mother.

But even as he drank in the joy of their awakening, he was aware of Sasha being helped up as well, and watching the scene with a smile, murmuring, "Captain... I have to report there was a snake in our garden. But I- I think I got it-"

He looked at her with huge eyes already welling with tears of relief as he drew over and put his arms around her, hugging her tightly. "You did, Sasha. You did."

*

"USS Surefoot-A, Captain's Log, Stardate 45688.39, Captain Esek Hrelle, commanding: The Nautilus has departed following the collection of evidence and those prisoners who will face a Federation court for their crimes, and will be meeting with us at Deep Space Five, once our guests from Cait depart upon the arrival of the escort vessel Firetail. Those injured have made a full recovery -- physically at least -- but given the circumstances, we are currently on Inactive Duty pending Counseling evaluations from an outside source to be appointed by Starfleet Command.

We will also need a new Chief Medical Officer. This will be difficult. I am still reeling from the fact that Juliet Ling, someone I trusted not just with my life but the lives of my family and crew, could have been working for the organisation that has caused me so much suffering and grief. But the SI investigators from the Nautilus found the evidence in her quarters; she had been taking their money and sending them reports on us and our activities.

I want to hate her. But I've heard the accounts from my wife and the medical staff, that Ling had provided an antitoxin that almost certainly saved Kami's life when she had been bitten later by a Vlathi, and secured Kami and Misha in the Isochamber to initially protect them. Kami believes that the woman had genuinely regretted her involvement and was desperate to try and make amends. I'd like to think that. I'd like to think that no one is beyond redemption.

The clean-up of my ship has been completed; you wouldn't know that we had been the victim of an assault. Unless you asked us.

Oh, and with the assistance of Fleet Captain Shall's contacts in the Caitian government, I've taken a command decision that will probably get me into trouble with Starfleet Intelligence. Ask me if I care, though..."

*

Deck 3 Fore -- Security Suite:

"Captain Koulev."

The man was stretched out on the bunk in the Brig, but now sat up as Hrelle stood outside force field doorway, making a sound as he stretched up. "Okay, I'm ready."

Hrelle stared at him. "Ready? For what?"

"I heard you move my crewmen out for transfer before. Surprised you didn't take me along as well." Then he smirked. "Unless of course you wanted this moment alone with me -- and everyone conveniently looking the other way while you took your anger out on me for what I did, before sending me off."

Hrelle stepped closer to the invisible force field in the doorway to Koulev's cell. "Believe me, Captain, if I was to take my anger out on you for what you did, there would be nothing left of you to send off anywhere. Except in a tiny little box."

Koulev chuckled mirthlessly. "Oh, you're gonna regret not doing it, Captain, I promise. You won't see justice done to me."

"No?"

"No." He rose and moved to the water dispenser mounted in the wall opposite him, drinking deeply from a paper cup. "Even if the Federation justice system had the death penalty, you wouldn't. You see... I'm what's considered a Valuable Asset to your Intelligence people. I have information, contacts, knowledge about the Bel-Zon, data that would benefit them greatly."

He scrunched up the emptied cup and threw it into the corner of the cell as he faced Hrelle. "My fellow crewmen will languish for a long time in prison, but me? I'm expecting a reduced sentence if not a complete pardon, protection from the Bel-Zon, a new identity when I'm released-"

"That won't happen."

Koulev smirked. "Don't pretend you're gonna come in here and kill me, Captain. You haven't got the balls for it."

Hrelle grunted. "I've always found that idiom chauvinistic and inaccurate. Equating the possession of testicles with the capability of being brave or savage or just a badass is a fool's notion. I know many who do not possess a set of family jewels, and still have proven more than able to fight, to kill... especially when our cubs are threatened.

All races love and protect their offspring, I know, but Caitians always believed that there was something actually hardwired into our very beings about it, something that brings out a ferocity that we've only ever seen in our myths -- and I've felt proof of that, thanks to your efforts-"

"Captain, I'd love to stick around and listen to you bleat on about your precious little brats, but I've got Starfleet Intelligence to deal with-"

"You're not going to be dealing with them. You'll never face a Federation or Starfleet court. You're being extradited to Cait."

Koulev's smirk dropped. "What?"

"When the Caitian transport arrives to collect my clan members, you're going along with them. Not as a guest, of course, but a prisoner. As you have positively identified yourself as the leader of your group, and as the majority of your intended victims are Caitian civilians, the Caitian government applied for your extradition. I granted it."

His captive paled. "You... You can't do that-"

"As a Starfleet captain, I have broad discretionary powers over the disposition of civilian criminals. And individual worlds of the Federation are allowed to maintain their own justice systems." Hrelle drew closer, until the invisible screen began to crackle in protest at his proximity. "You'll stand before a special assembly of the Matriarchy Tribunal, to answer for the crimes of the attempted murder of twelve Caitian citizens, including several cubs: Rrori, Sasha -- who is human but has earned herself the right to be called Caitian -- and of course my infant son.

I hear the Matriarchs are very interested in seeing someone willing to murder an infant.


And they won't give a damn what you might know about the Bel-Zon.

There hasn't been a crime like yours committed on Cait in generations, but the old laws still apply; and, like the Matriarchs, they won't be lenient."

Koulev shuddered as the full realisation sank in. "N-No... you can't... you're just screwing with me-"

Hrelle stepped back. "Still, before you die, it might afford you the opportunity to find out first-hand what someone can do without testicles."

He strode away, as Koulev called after him, "Wait, Captain! You can't do this! It wasn't anything personal! It was just business! PLEASE!"

*

Deck 3 Fore -- Holodeck 1:

The collected scents of grilling, sizzling meats made Hrelle's stomach groan in protest, despite the snacks he kept in the pockets of his apron. He focused on flipping over the burgers, hot dogs, shuris sticks, chicken pieces -- one roasting giant fat caterpilar -- and, on an adjacent grill where it won't be contaminated by the meats, soylent burgers. Once his expert nose thought everything was more or less ready, he called out, "Come and get it, before I do!"

Those assembled streamed down to the grill pits, gathering plates and cutlery, spooning salads and coleslaws and selecting buns and other accompaniments from the waiting tables before moving onto the meats.

Hrelle smiled at Sasha at the head of the line, and with two plates in her hand. "Save some for the rest of us, Greedy Gutso!"

She sneered at him. "I'm getting for Kami, she's keeping an eye on Little Brother on the porch."

He nodded; his wife hadn't strayed far from their son since waking up days ago, or let anyone else near him but the people assembled here. "Well, she'll want the shuris sticks, don't forget to add plenty of blood relish." He picked up a strip of crispy bacon sitting on the grill and dropped it onto one of her plates. "That's for my Warrior Prince. Not you." He ignored the middle finger she responded with as he looked to T'Varik. "Your soylent burgers are on the next grill. And Kit, I'm hoping the caterpillar meets with your expectations, because I don't think anyone else will want it. Even me."

He then served C'Rash, Neraxis, Eydiir, Jonas and Rrori, before grabbing a plate for himself, calling over to them, "There's a few hot dogs left."

Perched on the long wooden porch with the others, nibbling on the head of the caterpillar, Kit announced, "Forgive my rudeness, Very Good Friends, I have been nipping at the nectar and am pleasantly drunk, but eating dog sounds disgusting."

Nearby, Jonas was leaning against Neraxis,swallowing the frankfurter in his mouth to explain, "It's not actual dog, Kit. It comes from a time when people feared there might be dog meat in the sausage."

"Should you fear eating canine, or anything else of a dubious nature," T'Varik reminded them. "You can always switch to a vegetarian diet."

"I will pass, Commander," Rrori declared, looking out at the Caitian sky at late afternoon, with ribbons of clouds stretching out over the sky. "This is an amazing recreation of the Motherworld, Captain! And is it an accurate representation of your house and your Clanlands?"

He nodded, sitting down beside Kami, who was wiping drool from Misha's muzzle. "The only thing missing are the people. We tried recreating the Clan, but we can't get the scents right, and it just confuses and frightens Misha."

Sasha drew up to the infant, handed him the bacon, touched his nose and went "Beep Beep!" before joining the other cadets on the floor of the porch, looking out. "If you go past those trees, you get to the beach. There was some excellent swimming there."

"I liked lying on the beach with you too, Tailless," C'Rash teased.

Neraxis looked to Sasha. "Something we should know?"


The girl blushed. "Nothing you don't already know about."

Eydiir sat beside Sasha, watching the holographic birds circle in the soft, still sky. "I feel guilty. Just sitting around, eating, walking around-"

"You're on medical leave," Kami reminded her. "We all are. Let's enjoy the respite while we can." She tried balancing Misha and her plate, failing, and finally setting the infant down onto the floor at her feet and tucking into her food. "Are you all planning on staying tonight? You're welcome to."

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 17 milliseconds