The Dragonborn Comes Ch. 20

"We're going to need another wash!" she giggled once we'd both recovered.

After another quick wash, we headed back to the bedroom, where the other three had dressed and were packing up their things. Assembling myself in armour as always, I packed the few things I did carry before we headed to the dining hall for breakfast. Cerys simply smirked in my direction, while Ohgren, obviously new to the group, had no problem asking questions. He then asked a particular question.

"Dragonborn..."

"Ohgren, my name is Ragnar. Please, call me that."

"Very well. Ragnar, you know my story well enough now. There's nothing left for me in Orzammar. The House I was once part of is dead. My wife is... insane. I think I've helped restore some personal honour, but I'm yesterday's man. I was wondering..."

"Sure, Ohgren. You're welcome to join us."

He appeared surprised by my immediate agreement. "Thank you, Ragnar. I won't let you down."

"I'm going to need to warriors. With your talent, and that axe, you'll be nothing but a help."

Having spent over two weeks in Orzammar by now, I knew it was time to leave, and I wanted to leave with as little fanfare as possible. Before leaving, I stopped with Bhelen, where he assured that the Grey Warden treaty would be honoured, and that Orzammar would meet the call to end the Blight. We just needed to let him know when and where. He would also send an expedition to the Anvil, and try and keep the passage open. He hoped we would have a few golems for the Blight, while he was already devising plans to take the fight the darkspawn. I could only wish them luck, as much as he did for whatever was next.

I had three dwarves who had never left Orzammar. Standing at the gates that led out, I took the hand of Sereda and Brosca, both of them rather nervous. "Safe," Brosca whispered, squeezing my hand, Sereda doing the same thing. I let them take the first step towards the light, and together with Ohgren, we stepped out into the big, wide world.

"Sure is bright," Sereda stated.

"Oooh... There's a lot of space out here. Sure I can't fall up?" Ohgren wondered.

There were a couple of good-natured chuckles. "You'll be fine, Ohgren. Just give it a few minutes."

The three of them adapted quickly, and the coin I handed to the dwarf who had looked after our horses I think made his year, thanking all of us profusely. With three new companions, we had to organise riding partners. Brosca demanded she ride with me. I felt I couldn't say no. Cerys would ride with Alistair, so Sereda and Ohgren could ride together, Sereda not subtle in her warnings to Ohgren if he tried any funny business. He looked at me and said, "Aye, I've seen him angry. I don't want to be on the receiving end of that anger."

Once we were all mounted, I pointed my horse down the mountain and started our journey back to Redcliffe.

*****

Some of you might like a decision taken, but if you've read Dragon Age stories before, many take a certain option in this quest. I've taken a road less travelled. The game doesn't suggest one way is more good or evil. It is merely which is more pragmatic. In the end, you are fighting a war against Darkspawn. What would you be prepared to do to ensure victory?

And, on that note, just like 'Dragonborn Rising', due to a personal life event, uploads will be few and far between for the next few months. If you want to keep an eye on when the next chapter is up, click to add me as a favourite author so you'll see when the next chapter is up.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 62 milliseconds