The Marriage Ch. 09

"I was told it was an ugly thing," Uri informed her, smiling. I wondered who would have had the nerve to tell Uri his beard was ugly.

A set of seven armored riders, wearing the Swan's blue, rode into the bailey. The lead rider dismounted and removed the helmet, releasing a shower of curly hair the color of summer wheat. She was a tower of a woman, and approached with an attractive smile. She was at least a hand taller than I, and looked confident with the sword strapped to her side. Although it was wiped down, I saw remnants of blood on her armor. She had been in the thick of it.

"Ah," King Targathian said, "my daughter arrives." Uri's face lit up brightly.

"She has come," Uri told Angelica, who smiled at his face.

"You are smitten, Uri," Angelica offered sweetly.

"She is all I can think of," Uri said as he turned to Targathian's daughter. Their eyes met, and we could all see that the rest of us were invisible. I knew then who told him his beard was an ugly thing. Uri was in love.

"My Lady, " King Targathian, "may I present my daughter, Princess Edwena Targathian."

"You are most welcome," Angelica said sincerely, grabbing Edwena's hands. Edwena looked even taller next to my wife. "Most welcome indeed." Angelica looked between Edwena and Uri, her eyes dancing with delight. She, more than the rest of us, saw how Uri had changed. The bitterness was gone, Edwena had drained it from him.

"This is my nephew, Hamund" Uri said proudly, pulling Edwena along and ignoring protocol, "and my niece, Liliana." Hamund had never seen a woman so tall. Liliana seemed enthralled to see a woman in armor. Her eyes traveled along the fittings and the shape of the plates. I saw an impending battle with her - the thought of Liliana in armor was not desirable to me.

"I have heard much of you two." Edwena's smile grew as she took in my children. "Uri tells me he favors many cousins for you." Uri's face went red, Angelica laughed and Liliana was utterly in awe of Edwena.

"It is my pleasure to meet you, my Lady," Hamund said with a deep bow. His politeness fed my pride. Liliana gave a small curtsy, never taking her wide eyes off Edwena.

"I expected a boy and find a man. Well met, Prince Hamund," Edwena curtsied as much as her armor would allow. "And you, Princess, you have your mother's beauty." Liliana was made prettier with red cheeks.

"My crown's ward, Lady Mylle," Uri continued. I could see nervousness in Uri's posture, something I had never seen before. Edwena towered over the petite form of Mylle who curtsied before her.

"Lady Mylle, " Edwena said with reverence, "'tis you I wished to see most." Edwena took Uri's hand in hers, "Has this bear reconciled with you?" Angelica covered her mouth with her hand, I could see the corner of her smile.

"He has, my Lady," Mylle looked up into Uri's worried face, "and I have forgiven him." Her back was straight when she spoke. Uri's face cracked, and a grin appeared. Edwena matched his smile.

"Well then... Father, I will heed your word," Edwena said loudly, then she took Uri's head in her hands and kissed him hard. Uri wrapped his bear paws around her and lifted her and her armor off the ground in a small twirl.

"That is a first," King Targathian chuckled as he rolled his eyes. Everyone was staring at the embraced couple that had taken over the greeting. "Not that anyone is listening, but I would like to announce my daughter's betrothal to King Uri Douderson." Much had changed. It was good to have happiness as the order of the night after such a day.

I moved next to Alia, who had been forgotten in the all the excitement. I took her hand in mine, and brought her forward for formal introductions. I had no desire to hide her anymore. Angelica saw my desire and took Alia's other hand in hers.

"Uri, you have yet to meet Lady Alia, " Angelica said, "my sister in all but blood." Uri looked at me, and I saw a flicker of his old self. It faded quickly behind a smile.

"Lady Alia, it is an honor to meet you," Uri said with a deep bow. My insides were jumping about, but I remained a king on the outside.

"Lady Alia," Edwena said brightly as she took her hand. She leaned to Alia's ear and whispered something that made Alia blush.

"Of course, my Princess," Alia answered the unheard question. She wore that sly smile I had seen many times before. It was my mother who ended the greetings.

"We should show our guests to their rooms and allow them to freshen for dinner, my Queen," my mother said quietly to Angelica. Angelica would have been happy just being next to her brother for the rest of the night. I could see it in her face; she loved him more than she would admit. To have him back with her was a deep pleasure.

"Prince Hamund, be so kind as to show your uncle and King Targathian to the quarters in the west wing." Angelica took charge, "Princess Liliana..." Liliana interrupted quickly.

"Princess Edwena, there is a room open next to mine," Liliana said excitedly. I could see the worship in her eyes.

"That would be most lovely," Edwena replied, taking Liliana's hand. "Mayhap you could suggest what I should wear to dinner. You seem to have a better eye for fashion than I." They headed off, Liliana leading a giant, words flowing out of Liliana at a fast clip.

"I have been replaced," Angelica said with a smile as she watched her daughter recede.

"It only gets worse," my mother added with a chuckle. I took Angelica's hand in mine, and Alia's in the other. Mylle smiled and took Angelica's free hand. I walked my family, the one I thought shattered a few days ago, back to our rooms. I was sorely in need of a bath.

<<<<<>>>>>

"So you love her?" I asked Uri, knowing well the answer. We were alone, sitting on the balcony with a glass of wine well after dinner. The ladies were off scheming. It was made certain that I knew I was not welcome. I had gotten used to it. Love meant trust. I resolved to hire spies in the future.

"Gods! She is in my head day and night," Uri stated firmly, "I wake, and her face is there in my mind, the first thing I think of. It is an awful weakness."

"A pleasurable weakness," I said, raising my glass.

"Aye, most pleasurable," Uri agreed, raising his glass. We toasted to women. "Before her, I thought it all fleeting, a moment of lust then back to life. I did not know how deep it could go. My heart pounds just thinking about her." Uri took a drink. His love was forceful and needed a strong woman such as Edwena. "It was that, those feelings that shamed me. It is nothing that can be fought, only surrender to." He shook his head, "I do not understand Angelica and Mylle, yet if they feel half of what crawls through my blood, I was fool to stand in the way."

"Angelica is pleased to have you back," I said, "she cannot stop smiling."

"Gods! When they smile you want to give them the world," Uri announced as if I did not know. I laughed at his descriptions of how he felt. He was a completely different person. His father had hinted at it so many years ago. Life would have been simpler if he had met Edwena years ago. "How do you stand it? There are three of them, all seem set in your heart."

"Your father put it well," I said "he said I should pray that three women do not put me in an early grave." Uri laughed. I could see him remembering his father as he looked up at the sky.

"He always said you would make a better brother than enemy," Uri took another sip of his wine, "he was wiser than I shall ever be." I nodded, remembering my father as well.

"Do you suppose our children will say the same of us some day?" I asked. Uri shook his head.

"Hamund is already wiser than us both," Uri replied with a smile. Yes, he was a better brother than enemy.

<<<<<<>>>>>

"What schemes are being hatched, my love?" I asked as I undressed Alia. Her dress dropped off her shoulders. I kissed the soft skin and followed it up her neck.

"You have no worries, my love," Alia answered as she shimmied her hips to help her dress find the floor. It was a pleasing shimmy. "Uri was the topic." I lifted my eyebrows. "Edwena's mother passed many years ago. She was seeking advice of us for the wedding night."

I smiled. "Uri will benefit greatly if you shared your skills," I said, fully not expecting her to smack my shoulder. Angelica was rubbing off on her. Then she smiled, and I would have given her the world had she asked.

"Mylle was most pleased to contribute," Alia added, "I suspect Edwena got wind of your skills as well." I ran my hand down her shoulder and cupped her breast. A most beautiful breast. I leaned down and kissed it and felt a tremor travel through her.

"Angelica and I have done some scheming," I informed her, "we feel we are secure on our throne." My lips traveled up her neck and found her lips. I kissed them softly. "She and I have agreed, things that were risky are no longer so." Alia giggled as I kissed her nose, then her eyes.

"Are we to be more public?" Alia asked. I smiled, and sat her on the bed. I ran my hand through her soft hair. The young chambermaid I had chased so many years ago was never as beautiful as the woman who sat before me now.

"I wish a child with you," I said softly.

<<<<<>>>>>

I was completely drained of life and dreaded the meal I had to attend. I was King, and we had guests. Guests who have given all to secure our kingdom. It was expected of me. I entered slowly, most were already seated, tea steaming in their mugs. Angelica gave me a worried expression as I was unable to stifle a yawn.

"You feeling ill, my son?" my mother asked, as I stumbled by her chair. I grunted a 'no' and continued to my seat.

"Trouble sleeping, my husband?" Angelica asked. I gave her a half smile as last night ran through my mind. It was mostly a blissful fog now. Any energy I had was sapped hours ago.

"Something like that, my love," I responded hoarsely. I grabbed a mug of tea, and promptly burnt my tongue on the hot brew. I sighed and tried to keep my eyes open.

"'Tis a glorious morning," Alia announced loudly as she entered the hall. "Have you viewed the sunrise? The colors are mesmerizing." How she looked so fresh was a mystery. Angelica covered the smile on her face and leaned to me.

"You asked her?" Angelica asked.

"She thought it a glorious idea," I replied, nodding. A silly grin formed on my lips as I watched Alia twirl around once before heading toward us.

"Is that a new dress, my Queen?" Alia asked, smiling, "it brings out your hair nicely. Good morn, Lady Mylle, Queen Mother." She continued as she passed my chair. Her hand dragged across my shoulders caressing my neck. She took the seat next to me with a large smile.

"Sleep well, Lady Alia?" my mother queried. Her eyes flicked to me, trying to decipher what was going on. I a mess, and Alia bright as a spring flower.

"A most pleasant night, Queen Mother," Alia responded. I felt her hand run up my thigh under the table. The woman was insatiable. My parts were in serious need of rest. She had secretly harbored the desire for a child, and I had let it loose. She had gotten it in her head that quantity was a necessity to guarantee success. I was doing my utter best to comply. I was beginning to think the early grave was a real concern, though it was not a bad way to go.

<<<<<>>>>>

A meeting of Kings was held a week later. Uri, King Targathian and I were joined by Angelica and Princess Edwena. Uri, ignoring history, insisted on the women attending. Angelica was most pleased. Edwena seemed to think it was to be expected. Queen and future Queen sat next to each other and looked on, waiting for me to begin.

"The disposition of Uberson is at hand," I started, "I have summoned the heirs, and they will arrive in a few weeks' time. A boy of nine winters now holds the crown; Talon, I believe his name is. He has a sister, Meredith, four winters older. Felica Darion Uberson, the Queen Mother, is acting Regent until he comes of age."

"I think the title is forfeit," King Targathian stated, "they should feel fortunate to keep their heads." Edwena agreed with her father by nodding.

"Then do we conquer their lands by default?" Uri asked. He placed his hand on Edwena's shoulder. "Is it to be our way?" Edwena reached up and placed her hand on top of her future husband's. He had asked in such a way to temper her father's words. Edwena smiled at him. She saw no fault in it.

"Ah," King Targathian reconsidered, "no one would begrudge us, but many would fear us. It would force others to collude to counter us. Vengeance may not be worth the future it could bring."

"I wish peace for my children's future." Angelica entered the conversation. "I will not have the young Talon grow to vengeance either." I could hear a mother's concern in her voice.

"Valid point," Edwena added, "it is our children we decide for here." Spoken like a future mother. Uri had swung the sword which took Sacor's head. It may well be his children that would feel revenge first.

"Then we must find a way to secure the crown's compliance, and not possess the lands," I agreed, "Uberson has a valuable trade port, mayhap we could devise a commerce agreement to benefit all, and make vengeance too expensive."

"Revenge grows without concern for money," King Targathian stated, shaking his head, "it is the mind we must change." Uri paced. I buried my chin in my hand. It was a perplexing problem. Small ideas entered my mind, then I discounted them.

"Make Talon my brother." Hamund was at the door, for how long I did not know. I looked up at my son, thirteen winters tall, thirty winters in voice. His face was confident, and he did not dodge my eyes.

"Your throne is secure," Angelica chimed in quickly, "you will marry for love." It had been something we had discussed. We had solved our marriage, we did not wish our children to be saddled with the issues we had endured. Uri looked at me and then at King Targathian. He saw merit in what Hamund was suggesting. I did also, but I would not gainsay Angelica in this.

"Promise me to Meredith," Hamund said, "bring Talon here as my brother. He will spend winters here and at Targathian and Douderson. We will make him family." I looked at Angelica whose thoughts strayed away from kingdom.

"My nephew has a point," Uri said. It was directed to all, but he was looking to Angelica. All knew she would decide.

"She may be a cow," Angelica said flippantly, "have three arms and missing a nose. She may hate you for the death of her father." Hamund smiled at his mother.

"She will do what is best for her family," Hamund responded, "as my mother and father have. Though I will reconsider if she has three arms, no nose and sprouts udders." Uri laughed, the rest of us tried desperately to hold it in. Angelica was not laughing.

"I do not wish a political marriage for you," Angelica admitted. Her only argument was that of a mother wishing love for her son. It was powerful.

"I wish to secure my family," Hamund said without fear, "a new port for trade and four kingdoms tied tight as family. It is my duty, is it not Uncle?"

"I will not gainsay my sister in this, Hamund," Uri said as he shook his head. He wished no more animosity with Angelica.

"Father?" Hamund looked to me for support.

"Aye, but your duty to your mother comes first," I said. All could see that we left it in Angelica's hands.

"It would be a good match," King Targathian said, "a buffer along the sea, and trade routes we have never accessed before. It would secure peace and prosperity for our peoples for years to come." Angelica gave him a cross look. He smiled and waved his hands in surrender. He would speak no more on it.

"I will be of age one day," Hamund said to his mother, "I may do it then of my own accord." Angelica sighed, then rose from her chair. She moved to her son and wrapped him in her arms. Hamund did not resist.

"You have grown when I was not looking," Angelica said sadly, "I will not stop your mind, but I must hear agreement from this Meredith's lips. I will not have you mired in a life of hate." She looked up to us. "It will be her lips, and her voice I will hear. There will be no threats or coercion to speed her way." Her warning carried weight. It would be as she said. She was my wife and the mother of my children. As King, I would see to it.

<<<<<>>>>>

The Queen Regent, Felica Darion Uberson, entered the main bailey with surprise on her face. The guard was out in full regalia, and our banners were flying high. Their numbers matched by Bear and Swan troops. A meeting of equals was demanded by me to meet my wife's desires. There would be no persuasion put forth, though we could demand it. Felica looked about as she was helped down from her horse by her retainers. She was not expecting a formal greeting.

"Welcome to Southerson," Angelica announced loudly, "we gladly share our house and hearth. Enter and be at ease."

"We most gladly accept," Felica replied. It sounded more like a question. She was at a loss as to why we were treating her as an equal. I began the introductions of myself and the two Kings. Felica greeted us with propriety. Her eyes remained wide and mistrusting. She turned and waved forward her son. The young Talon Uberson came forward. It did not look like he had traveled well.

"May I present King Talon Uberson," Felica said with more confidence. Talon bowed. I came forward and shook his small hand as best I could, wrist to wrist.

"Welcome, I am most happy you have come," I said. I had little desire to let the sins of the father drift to this small boy. I remembered Hamund being that small once. Felica moved closer to Talon. She still did not trust the proceedings. The other Kings also shook Talon's hand. Talon was silent and deferred to his mother.

"May I present my son, Prince Hamund Southerson," I said with a smile. Hamund came forward smartly and bowed deeply. He never ceased to make me proud. "And my daughter, Princess Liliana Southerson." Liliana loved the idea of formal greetings, and was all smiles. It allowed her to dress up for a purpose. She came forward and curtsied. Felica and the boy King accepted the greetings; Talon with stiffness, and Felica with some manner of distrust. Her eyes were moving between us all, trying to discern our intent.

"May I present my daughter," Felica stated formally, "Princess Meredith Uberson." Meredith did not have three arms, nor was she missing her nose. She had long raven hair like her mother, pale skin and was slim to almost fragile. Certainly not a cow. She stepped forward, and I saw fear I wished was not there. She was old enough to know the possible ramifications of her father's actions. She curtsied before us all and then stepped close to her mother, her eyes lowered to the ground.

"Princess Meredith," Hamund addressed her, "I wish you to be at ease. Know that the disagreements of our fathers will not extend to you. Of that you have my word." Meredith's eyes raised to look at Hamund, then to her mother. Hamund had confused her more than lightened her thoughts.

"And what of my son?" Felica demanded. Her eyes lit upon me, as if I would kill a young boy. I angered slightly, but my wife saw and interrupted before dislike festered.

"That is why you are here," Angelica said with a warm smile, "there are no lives at risk, only futures to be determined. In our walls, you are safe and hold the respect due your titles. Your retainers will be accorded the same." Felica looked to me, and I nodded assent. She looked at Angelica then back at me. I saw her apprehension so I moved to my wife and wrapped her hand in mine.

"My Queen and I speak as one, always," I said. Felica smiled. The first unencumbered emotion I had seen in her.

"I feel most welcome then," Felica continued, "I will hold my fears and trust your words." With the greetings over, the Ubersons were led to a suite of rooms set aside for them. Baths were drawn, and they cleaned from their journey. Later, we sent a runner to request the Queen Regent to attend a meeting with Angelica and me, alone.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 106 milliseconds