The Marriage Ch. 09

"Are you satisfied, my Queen?" I asked for all to hear. We were equals, and the world would know it.

"Most satisfied, my King." Angelica smiled at Hamund. She saw the happiness in him and Meredith.

"Does the alliance agree?" I called to Uri and King Targathian. They both rose and gave their resounding assent. "King Talon Uberson, we would be honored to join your family to ours." Any naysayers were stifled by the resounding cheers that filled the hall. The court saw the benefits of ignoring revenge, and grasping at a grand future.

The dinner turned into a celebration. Liliana was thrilled with the idea of a new sister, and spent a great deal of time discussing wedding plans with Meredith. It was years away, but to them only moments.

Felica moved to a seat next to me when dessert was being served. The most pleasant smell filled the room as cinnamon tarts were being brought around.

"I would know your plans for Talon and Uberson, my Lords" Felica asked Uri, King Targathian and me. Now that the marriage was settled, I could see her mind work on the future. She was no fool, and did not think her daughter could settle all.

"We would like Talon to winter with each of us in turn," I responded, "learn our ways and know us as family." I worded it to sound more like a request than a demand. She accepted it for the politeness that was intended.

"That does seem reasonable," Felica agreed, as if she had a choice, "I wish to stay with him if I am welcome." I smiled and the other kings did as well.

"Of course," I responded. It was always the intent, but it was nice to see her mind work it out.

"A regent that we could all agree on would be necessary if I am not in Uberson," Felica added. Her mind worked quickly. She had known our thoughts all along. If Meredith's mind was as strong, Hamund would benefit well in the future.

"Commander Kancraft, an honorable man, would do well," I suggested. Felica nodded.

"I have met him and do find him honorable," Felica stated, "but a softer hand may be necessary. Someone more attuned to the thoughts of men, politics and the kingdom at large." I was surprised at her dissent. She was planning something I was not quite sure I could agree to. I only wanted this to appear to be a negotiation.

"Sir Balen Herdsman is such a man," Felica said, "I have been watching him, and feel he could convince all of Uberson without having to step too hard." I smiled. Her mind was truly quick. She was worried about sending a military commander as Regent. She knew her people and did not want to give them reason to fight the necessary changes. She wished Talon to rise as a strong king.

"That would be agreeable," I replied happily. I would be able to throw a whole wagon of luck to the sheepherder. I found the idea most pleasurable. Felica smiled as the basic logistics were solved. I wondered if Sacor ever listened to Felica. I suspected not, or much of what happened would not have.

<<<<<>>>>>

Hamund, Uri, King Targathian and I met in the library. I poured wine for all as my father had done for me so many years ago. The ladies had taken Meredith off for a meeting of their own. We toasted the impending marriage and to women in general. It pleased Hamund to join us. I remembered when I had first joined a toast with Kings. It was life-changing. I dearly hoped it was for Hamund as well.

"You must have had quite a talk with your Princess," King Targathian mentioned to Hamund.

"She did seem awfully smitten," Uri added. I smiled thinking of Meredith's smile.

"She had surprised me by demanding my intentions," Hamund admitted, "I had meant to tell her, but it never seemed the right time. In truth, I was not sure she would agree." It was good to see my son was human. For a while there, I feared he was made of stone.

"She must have been impressed with your answer," I titled my glass to him as I spoke. He smiled.

"I told her I intended to make her my future queen," Hamund said proudly, "and we would rule as equals."

My wine spilled as I laughed.

The End

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 59 milliseconds