The Marriage Ch. 09

<<<<<>>>>>

Felica entered the library escorted by Lucius who closed the door for our privacy. Her face showed surprise to see two ladies of court with Angelica and me.

"Queen Regent, may I present Lady Alia Targot," I said, lifting Alia's hand in mine, "she is the keeper of my heart." Felica blanched as Alia curtsied.

"Queen Regent, may I present Lady Mylle Paumera," Angelica said, while holding Mylle's hand, "she is the keeper of my heart." Mylle smiled and curtsied. I saw the mistrust building in Felica again.

"You show me this why?" Felica's hand was trembling. I think she saw it all as an expression of power she would soon take to her grave.

"I told you it would frighten her," Alia said, looking at me. "It is too much all at once." She looked toward Felica, "Do not look deep into this, my Lady. They tell you so you understand, that is all." Felica looked more surprised that Alia corrected me.

"It is the truth we wish you to see, my Lady," I continued, "too much has happened trying to hide behind a veil of false propriety. If you are to deal with us, you must know all. True agreements cannot be forged if you are in the dark."

"Agreements? I am confused," Felica almost stuttered, "you will not impose your will on us?"

"If it comes to it, yes," I answered honestly, "I will not allow my kingdom to be threatened again. Douderson and Targathian are in agreement with this."

"You wish me to look past your...life?" Felica treaded carefully around my strange family. "And negotiate?" Mylle stifled a giggle at Felica's attempt to find words. It was good to see Mylle feeling secure enough to do so.

"We have options," Angelica chimed in, "one of which was brought forth by my son. I was hesitant to agree and am still so." Angelica gestured to a chair then sat herself. Alia, Mylle and I followed suit. Felica hesitated, then decided it was best she sat.

"Your acceptance of our life would be a necessary condition to any agreement," I stated, "as is the unfettered agreement of your daughter."

"I came here thinking my children's lives were in peril. My husband's guards insisted it would not be so, but still I feared." Felica looked among us, her eyes wide. "Now you confirm what is rumor and wish me to leave it in the hands of my daughter? What do you wish of her?"

"It is what my son desires," Angelica said with a wave of her hand, "I was not happy with it, but I could not deny what he would claim in time when he comes of age."

"Prince Hamund does not take his duty lightly," Mylle added. Felica's eyes moved quickly to Mylle, then back to Angelica. We had created something quite different than what she was used to.

"Do they speak as one as well?" Felica asked me. I smiled and almost chuckled.

"No, they speak their own minds," I replied as I absently patted Alia's hand, "their counsel is not darkened by politics. You would be remiss to ignore it." Alia smiled at me - I really liked that smile.

"What does your son desire?" Felica asked. I could see she was dreading the answer.

"Princess Meredith," I answered. I had shocked her again.

"You would hold her hostage?" Felica nearly shouted. I could see Angelica's ire rising. She was against this, but to impugn her son's honor was too much.

"We would never!" Angelica shouted, venom spewing. It was Mylle's hand that calmed her.

"Prince Hamund wishes to marry her," Mylle stated smoothly, "he desires to make you family." I thought Felica's heart would give out.

"It is part of a solution," I added. Felica tried to speak and failed. Her eyes traveled away from us as her mind digested the conversation. It was not what she had expected. I could see the thoughts settle in, then her face became sad.

"She will be hated," Felica said softly. She looked up, and I could see distress in her eyes.

"That is my thought as well," Angelica said, "I will not have my son unhappy for a lifetime."

"Mayhap we should let them decide," Alia said, "it was the prince who devised the plan, and his honor is true. The princess may see much in the match."

"You would force this?" Felica asked me.

"Never," I answered, "my Queen will not allow it if Meredith is against it. Nor will she tolerate our interference in Meredith's decision."

"Am I allowed to talk to her?" Felica asked. She looked to Angelica.

"Of course," Angelica replied, "her mother should have a voice. I have mine with Hamund, though he is growing into his own mind faster than I desire."

"You are not our prisoners here," I added, "your family is yours. We will do what is necessary to assure our security. My son wishes to make your son his brother. They could grow into their kingdoms together."

"You will allow Talon his crown?" Felica asked with surprise.

"That is my son's plan," I answered proudly, "we do not wish to be seen as conquering, and we do not wish Talon to grow with hate, backed by power. Too many have died already."

"It is strange what you have here," Felica said looking between us, "that you allow your Queen a voice is foreign enough to me." I placed my hand over Angelica's as Felica spoke. "If Meredith chooses against this, what happens then?"

"I will not allow your son to hold his crown," I said truthfully, "you and your family would do what you see fit without title. Mayhap return to your birth place." Felica nodded and thought for a moment.

"I will counsel Meredith against this, but leave her her mind," Felica stated, "I do not wish her to feel compelled if it would cost her her happiness." She looked to Angelica. "We are of like minds. Our children will make the choice of their own will." Angelica smiled.

"Then, my Lady, we have naught to worry about but dinner," I said, "my daughter insisted on musicians, so I suspect it will run long." I added a smile and rose from my chair. The women followed.

A clash of arms rankled my ears, swords most likely, from down the hall past the library. I ran, the women following at a slower pace. I feared some retribution was being enacted on the Wolf's entourage. I rounded the corner to find Talon squared off against Hamund, swords striking amidst smiles. Uri was off to the side next to Meredith and Edwena.

"You must hold the tip higher, young King," Uri instructed, "Hamund will best you if you let it drop." Talon raised the tip of his sword, though I could see his young arms strain with the weight. Hamund swung easily, and allowed Talon to block. I smiled as Talon committed to an off balance counter strike. Uri ran forward.

"No, you must step with your lead foot if you are to remain balanced," Uri said as he bent down and physically moved Talon's right foot forward. Talon nodded and tried again when Uri stepped back. Hamund feigned a difficult block and fell back as Talon tried again. "Much better," Uri praised. Talon smiled and then saw his mother. His face dropped as did the tip of his sword.

"He is being careful, Mother," Meredith stated quickly, "I was watching." Felica looked between her children, then at Uri and Hamund.

"I will hold his well being in your hands," Felica said carefully. Talon smiled and raised his sword again.

"There will be no blood, my Lady," Uri stated with humor, "mayhap bruises, we are men after all." Talon's back straightened at the statement, pride entered his eyes. I suspected he had not been allowed a sword before this day. I saw a brief smile cross Felica's lips, but it disappeared quickly.

We turned to walk away and Felica leaned toward me. "You would have the man who swung the fatal blow teach Talon?" She whispered quietly, away from her children's ears. I could see her concern.

"This is their doing, not mine," I replied, "though we will either be family or not. Do know that your husband's last words were to insult my Queen, Uri's sister. If I would have reached him first, the end would have been no different." I could see Felica retreat into herself for a moment.

"Sacor rarely kept his thoughts private," Felica sighed. I saw resignation in her. It was welcome and regretful at the same time. It is not good to feel your future is not wholly your own. I felt it once, when Sacor held us behind our walls.

<<<<<>>>>>

Some in court were less than pleased with the crown's direction. Their view was apparent at the banquet that commenced that evening. The following eyes and whispers unnerved Felica. Liliana and Hamund seemed to do well shielding Meredith and Talon from noticing. It was not that they cared about the politics, though I believed Hamund understood too well, it was just the way of children wishing to be happy.

My mother did well in allaying Felica's fears and lead the conversation away from politics, and into the realm of current fashion and the humorous new collars some women insisted were desirable. Liliana disagreed heartily. She found the collars intriguing. Meredith and Mylle backed Liliana's opinion, Alia joined my mother and Felica in finding them less attractive. They all looked to Angelica to solve the impasse.

"It is for the men we wear such things," Angelica said with a smile, "what is your opinion, my King?" She looked at me, not wanting to choose sides in the debate. I wished to not come between my love and my daughter.

"Princess Edwena," I asked judiciously, "you surely have an opinion on this thorny issue. What do you think of the large collars?"

"It is Princess Liliana who knows of such things," Edwena stated as Liliana smiled proudly, "I would defer to her." She looked to Uri, "Would you like to see me in tall collars?" Uri was caught with a mouthful of roast duck, never figuring he would be drawn into a fashion discussion. I had to chuckle at his preview of married life. He finished chewing, the whole table waiting for his response.

"I find you lovely in armor, my Princess," Uri said. He was learning fast. "Lady Mylle always seems to have the right of it. I would see you in large collars, though it would be difficult to improve on such perfection." Edwena beamed and kissed his cheek. Mylle stared at Uri who gave her a quick smile. She was not used to Uri acknowledging her.

King Targathian quickly sided with my mother, mentioning that he would prefer Edwena's wedding dress not be high-collared. Angelica folded into her brother's opinion, not caring about collars, only his acknowledgment of Mylle. Talon quickly stated he found the collars funny, backing his mother.

I could not imagine a collar covering Alia's tantalizing neck. It seemed safe to define my desire since all had chosen their camp. I joined my love and voiced my dislike of the collars. Liliana pouted and told me I was just old. That brought laughter.

"What is your opinion, Prince Hamund?" Meredith asked. All at the table turned to my son. He looked about at the interested faces.

"It is not the clothes that matter," Hamund answered, looking only at Meredith, "it is the person who they wrap that is beautiful." My boy, turned man, turned philosopher. I was not sure if it pleased me to see him so old. I knew it would disappoint me if he was a boy again.

"Here, here!" King Targathian called. Uri raised his glass, and we all toasted Hamund's diplomacy. An answer none of us could disagree with. Meredith's eyes did not leave Hamund until she realized she was staring, at which time her eyes found the table and redness filled her cheeks.

"He is older than he looks," I heard Felica whisper to Angelica.

"I sometimes miss my boy," Angelica responded in kind. I felt the same.

<<<<<>>>>>

Mylle found Angelica and me returning from a ride two weeks after the banquet. We had stabled our mounts, and were looking forward to a bath. It was a council day, and my afternoon was well planned by Sir Balen.

"I found Princess Meredith crying by the privy," Mylle informed us, "she is with Alia now who is trying to console her."

"Has someone hurt her?" Angelica asked, alarmed.

"No, my love," Mylle said quietly, "it is her own mind doing it. She is shamed by her father and thinks herself unworthy. Prince Hamund has not told her all. She likes him, but thinks herself below his station. It tortures her to think on it." I rolled my eyes. Women have a strange sense of their feelings. Angelica saw my eyes and sighed.

"Men go to anger," Angelica said, "where women see tears. It was not long ago when a Prince was going to end his family for a chambermaid. Do not think Alia was dry-eyed when you were ready to slay the world." I felt the fool for a moment, until my wife smiled at me. "We will talk with her," Angelica told me. Equals? Not in this.

We found Alia consoling Meredith in the library. Meredith quickly wiped her face and stood when we arrived. She curtsied and made to leave the room; I could see her embarrassment. I felt useless amongst the women.

"Please stay," Angelica said sweetly to Meredith. She used her calming voice, the one that could get me to join a carola. Meredith returned to her seat, and tried to look in control of herself. This was not a discussion she wished to have with Hamund's mother. "Why are you so distraught?" Angelica asked.

"It is nothing, my Lady," Meredith stumbled, "a silly thing; it is just my thoughts."

"Your eyes are red. It is never a silly thing if it brings tears," Angelica continued softly. Meredith looked to Alia and Mylle. She begged for help with her eyes.

"She fears Prince Hamund tolerates her for propriety," Alia said, "she wishes to know him better, and thinks her chances slim."

"It is wrong of me!" Meredith said quickly, "I will not think it again." She looked at Angelica and me, worried too much was risked with Alia's words.

"What has Prince Hamund told you?" I asked.

"Nothing, my Lord. I swear it." Meredith's face was shamed. "It is in my head. I see him wanting to tell me things, but he does not. He has done nothing improper - not even my chaperones have had to correct him." She was vehement in her defense of my son. My opinion of her changed at that moment. I desired to protect her as she protected Hamund.

"My dear," Angelica said with her charming voice, "if you are to become a woman you must find your mind. If my son has confused you, you must ask him his intentions." I watched the princess blanch at Angelica's words.

"I could not," Meredith said with fear on her face.

"You can wait for others to define you," Angelica continued, "or you can define yourself." Angelica smiled. "Men do not always express themselves well, mayhap my son is not an exception." I again found myself amongst women who pretended I was not there. Alia and Mylle were agreeing with Angelica with their nods. I felt the need to defend men, but stifled it. I was well outnumbered.

"You should consult your mother, my Lady," Mylle said, trying to help.

"She is not supportive of the time I spend with Prince Hamund," Meredith said, then her cheeks flushed and she quickly added, "it is the idea, not his honor, my Lady."

"She is your mother," Angelica said calmly, "it is her right to worry. I hold no ill will."

"I should just ask him, out loud?" Meredith asked. She was drawing support from the three women. I realized I was attending a full secret meeting, the first I had ever been privy to. It was no different than a war council, the enemy being supposed male ignorance.

"Aye, ask or you may never know," Alia added. Mylle was nodding her head with Angelica.

"Would he answer me, my Lord?" Meredith asked me, the only one not forgetting I was there.

"Most assuredly, Princess," I answered. Meredith nodded her head and stood.

"Then I take my leave, your Majesties," Meredith stated, curtsied and left with determination. I chuckled when she was out of earshot.

"She was in distress," Alia said, "there is nothing funny about it."

"It is Hamund I find funny," I said, "he is brave with many things beyond his years. I do believe talking to Meredith frightens him. Why else would he have not told her?"

"He is a man," this was said by all three as if it explained all. I feared to put up a defense being so well outnumbered. I suspect they held my silence as proof of their truth.

<<<<<>>>>>

Council went well that afternoon. Sir Balen was his usual efficient self and cut the requests to only the most pertinent. He used our guests as the excuse, and all seemed to understand. Felica had wished to attend and I allowed it. She had met Balen and his wife at a previous dinner, and was entranced by the subject of the commoner council sessions. It had benefited us well, and I was certain it would work well elsewhere. Even Uri, a staunch traditionalist, was wavering on holding his own in Douderson. I believed it was more Edwena's influence than ours.

After the council, the kings, my family and the Ubersons waited at the banquet table for dinner. We were yet to be joined by Hamund and Meredith. An absence well-noted by Felica. I had some wine brought around, and runners sent for the prince and princess. Uri turned to me.

"This Tavia, you know of it?" Uri whispered. I nodded. Uri continued, "Lady Mylle has me eight games to one. I would know what you know. I must make a better showing." I grinned, thinking how things had changed.

"I swear she has cut deals with the gods," I whispered back, "she always rolls what she needs." Uri laughed. I believe he was happy he was not the only one losing.

"Let her have her victories," Alia, overhearing us, whispered to the two of us.

"We allow her nothing," Uri said, "she takes them without effort." Alia laughed. It was good to see her happy.

"We must learn this game," Edwena chimed in. I saw looks passing between the women. I believe they enjoyed us being beaten handily by Mylle. It was then that our missing children entered the hall.

Hamund, smiling from ear to ear, had his hand held forward. Meredith, her eyes only on Hamund, had her hand laid atop his as is proper. They strolled forth, not unlike a memory of when I first escorted Angelica into the hall. Behind them, Uberson retainers followed - Meredith's chaperones. The hall went quiet, and all heads turned as the couple strolled with purpose to the main table.

Hamund escorted Meredith toward King Talon who was waiting impatiently for dinner, as a child of eight winters was wont to do. Hamund released Meredith's hand and bowed very deeply. "King Uberson," Hamund announced loudly, "it is my want, if you will allow, to declare my desire to marry your sister, Princess Meredith Uberson, at the proper time and claim you as my brother." There were gasps in court, but they were outnumbered by the smiles. Meredith seemed about to float away. Talon looked to his mother.

"I would like Prince Hamund as my brother," he said to his mother. I grinned at how he had ignored the part of marrying off his sister. I think he saw a lifetime of sword duels with Hamund.

"Princess Meredith Uberson," Felica queried formally, "I give you your will. What is your desire in this?" I could see, as did everyone else, the answer written on her face.

"I wish it more than anything," Meredith answered more loudly than she intended. Felica smiled, bent down and whispered to her son. Talon smiled as she spoke in his ear. Talon stood when Felica finished.

"Prince Hamund...Southerson," Talon was speaking loudly, but you could see him glancing at his mother for support, "I would be honored to..." Felica whispered in his ear again. A few stifled chuckles could be heard, but it did not stop Talon, "honored to join your family to mine if your sire allows." Talon smiled when he got it out. Felica gave him a wink of pride. All looked to me as I stood.

"You have received the answers you desired, Princess?" I asked. I do not know why I wasted the time. Mayhap to prove to all that I had attended a secret meeting. Meredith's hand closed around my son's.

"Yes, your Majesty," Meredith said, her smile growing larger, though it seemed hardly possible. "It is better than I could have hoped." I could not hold my smile when Hamund's eyes met mine. I could see his desire. I held my hand out and Angelica, who, without prompting, rose and laid hers across mine.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 60 milliseconds