The Reluctant Journey Ch. 12

"We were so scared Malia." Tears began to well in her own eyes. She looked around and sure enough she was in a hospital room and hooked up to an IV. So she was hydrated enough to cry again, great.

She suddenly felt guilty that when her life depended on it she had wished for Cain to rescue her. When Cain had kidnapped her she'd wanted her parents to come for her. She'd subconsciously clung to the idea that her dad was supposed to be her protector, even into her early adulthood. But when she'd thought it was all over she hadn't called out for her daddy anymore, she'd hoped and prayed Cain would save her, protect her, love her. Malia had never really understood why mothers and fathers of the bride cried at their daughter's wedding, it wasn't like they would never see each other again. Now she understood it like an epiphany. In a lot of aspects she was replacing them. She loved her mom and dad, they'd been constantly by her side her entire life, but she loved Cain too in a new completely different way. She wanted to be by his side for the remainder of her life. She wanted to be in a family with him, to create their own.

Her dad cleared his throat and wiped away the tear. "They gave you pain medicine, for your back." He clenched his jaw, but withheld any further signs of the rage he felt. "Something I've never heard of, but everything they told me about it coincides with their claims that it isn't addictive. New-age shit, you never can tell."

Malia just nodded. She wasn't in any pain. No pain at all. In fact she couldn't feel her toes. The thought made Malia burst out laughing.

"Yeah they said you'd be a little loopy for a while because your body isn't accustomed to the stronger medications they use."

"I can't feel a thing!" Malia giggled. Her father looked uneasy about her reaction. She looked at her hands up close and giggled.

Malia's head cleared less than a minute later. She was feeling disoriented. The medicine's effect wasn't like anything she'd experienced before. The giggly feeling lasted only a short period, followed by complete lucidity. It was worse than being totally loopy from the drug because she could tell she was acting strange, she just couldn't stop it. Malia frowned as soon as she could stop laughing.

"Where's mom?" She chose to ask instead of asking about Cain. Her father wouldn't take kindly of her choosing to know about him over her own family.

"She went to get something to eat with the boys and Olivia. I told her to bring something back for me. We didn't want you to possibly wake up and be alone."

Malia felt a huge wave of sadness wash over her. She also felt her mental facilities begin to fail her again. She started sobbing, loudly and quite obnoxiously. Her father was stunned.

"They'll be back soon princess." He patted her shoulder consolingly. "What's the matter?"

Malia willed her mouth to close but didn't have enough control to succeed in the small task. "I'm alone. I'm always alone." She said between sobs, "Cain said that he loved me but he's not here, I'm still alone." Her speech was stuttered and broken but regrettably coherent enough for her father to get every word. He waited for her to compose herself again. Thankfully the sobbing stopped as quickly as it had come on. Malia took a shaky breath.

"What is wrong with me?" She blushed at her revealing mess of an outburst.

"It's the medicine. It amplifies the emotional centers in your brain and can cause enhanced emotional responses. They said as a side-effect it was fairly rare and mild but more likely in your case." Malia nodded. He'd spoken very stoically, lacking the compassion he'd had before her emotional scene. They were both silent for a moment before Jack spoke again.

"Your mother didn't want me to talk about the boy," he said irritably, "but since you brought it up," he paused. "She thinks we should give him a chance. I think he's little better than the bastards that put you in here."

Malia gasped in surprise at his strong statement. "You don't know him." She argued.

"I don't need to." He argued back. "I know everything I need to know about him!"

She was silent as she took several deep breaths.

"I love him Daddy." She answered a minute or so later in a soft voice.

"Malia," he groaned, "You don't have anyone else to compare him with."

She shook her head. "It doesn't matter because I'm not unsure about a thing. I love Cain, I know I do."

Her father looked at her for a moment. "And him?"

She frowned. "He said that he loved me too."

Jack finally spoke again as Malia studied her fingernails. "He's been here almost constantly for the past three days."

Malia's eyes jumped to connect with her father's. "I've been unconscious for three days?"

He nodded. "You had a concussion, they gave you a drug to prevent any swelling in your brain. That was when they discovered your reactions to their drugs were stronger than normal. The drug usually only affects someone for maybe a day, making them very drowsy. However, you were unwakeable for three days now. Not from lack of trying."

"Cain's been here?"

"Damn persistent jackass wouldn't leave." He looked comically grumpy.

Malia giggled, but prevented another laughing outburst just barely. "Can you try to be nice to him Dad? He kind of saved my life."

"Saved your life?" He was instantly infuriated. If she hadn't been drugged she might have realized how her words would sound to her dad. "He was the reason you were there in the first place!"

"No he wasn't. Cain had nothing to do with what Vincent did to me. He wasn't part of what he was planning on doing to me. The only fault of Cain's was the fact that he took me from the unit in the first place, and you already said you would let him try and make up for that. I would say saving me is a pretty good start."

Jack looked at her strangely, a mixture of pride and confusion. "You've changed." He said simply.

Malia nodded. She didn't pretend to not know what he was talking about. "Yeah, I have."

"I don't like the idea of losing my baby girl," his brow cinched with emotion, "but I'm so proud of the young woman you've become." He hugged her tightly and Malia started to cry again, albeit softly this time.

"That's such a cheesy line dad." They both laughed.

He sighed as he let her go. "I suppose I should call the boy. He had to be pulled out by his friend and brother so he would clean himself up and sleep. Tristan brought flowers when he came," He pointed over to the window ledge, "the friend brought balloons with a stuffed bear." Malia shifted in the bed, intent on walking over to the window covered in flowers.

"Don't." Her father ordered in his doctor voice. "I'll bring them to you." He walked over to the window and retrieved a vase of yellow and white roses with daisies mixed in, the arrangement was beautiful. Jack set the vase on her side table and Malia grabbed the small white card.

'There aren't enough words nor is there enough space on this card to convey to you what I feel for you, sweet Malia. Wake up so I can try damn it. -Tristan'

The words and handwriting were perfect as per the norm for Tristan. Malia picked up the small white stuffed bear that had three balloons tied to its small wrist. This card was printed with a simple 'get well soon' and signed 'Finn'. Her father brought her more flowers which surprised her because she didn't know many people. Malia read card after card. A lot of the staff members at Milan manner sent her beautiful flowers and cards as did Cain's grandmother Kate. There were sunflowers with a card that read

'When you're ready come down to the second floor and see me. -Gwen'.

"Why is Gwen at the hospital?" Malia asked quickly. Her dad looked taken aback for a moment.

Finally he answered her. "When you were taken from that house Gwen was in the hall the intruders entered through. They shot her," Malia gasped, "but she is fine, she'll make a complete recovery." Her dad added on.

"I need to go see her." Malia moved to get up again. Jack placed a firm restraining hand on her shoulder. In her state it didn't take much to physically overpower her.

"She is stable and on another floor Malia. You can visit her in the morning when you have the doctor's permission." His voice was authoritative again. Malia threw her head back into the pillow and sighed exaggeratedly. Malia didn't have long to sulk before her mother and siblings entered the room. Upon seeing her awake their greeting was expectedly chaotic. Her brothers wanted gory details. Her mother scolded them for their inappropriate questions. Olivia asked how she felt with the crazy strong medicine. The chaos was comforting and thankfully didn't allow any more embarrassing, noisy outbursts. One unfortunate side-effects of the excitement filled reconnections was that it drained Malia's energy ver quickly. She fell asleep waiting on another visitor she desperately wanted to see.

----------

It was so dark. Malia was in a hallway or a tunnel, but it was pitch black. Her feet were cold as they ran along the concrete floor. Her hands occasionally slid along the wall as she ran but it was slimy and cold. She could hear someone or something behind her, moving much more quickly. She tried to yell for help but wasn't able to produce any sound. Whatever was behind her was getting close. She could feel warm breath on her neck. She tried to move faster but her legs weren't obeying her. Then she heard a distinctive whistle through the air. She screamed and woke herself before the whip could make contact.

"Malia! Malia!" She heard someone calling her name and stopped screaming. It was a dream. She realized this room was dark, but not pitch black. once her eyes adjusted she could make out Cain easily. He pushed her hair behind her ear and 'sshhed' her gently.

"Cain!" she said excitedly, though her voice was still groggy from sleep. He was close enough she could pull him into a hug by his neck. She pulled him off balance halfway into the bed on top of her. He made a sound between an 'oof' and a choke.

"Oh, sorry," she laughed as she released his neck. He stoop up again, hurriedly removing his weight from her chest.

He looked concerned. "Are you okay?"

Her back should be hurting from the force of Cain's weight, but she didn't feel anything.

"I'm fine." she smiled. His face seemed to have gotten even more perfectly handsome if it were possible. She probably was biased considering the new stubble and dark circles under his eyes.

"You were screaming." He frowned down at her.

"Oh," she answered stupidly, then remembered the dream. It amazed her how thoroughly his face could chase away her nightmares. Nonetheless, upon recalling the dream she shivered in disgust. "It was just a dream."

He was still frowning. She wanted to see him smile. It seemed like it had been so long since she'd seen him show any sign of happiness. He didn't smile though, he just stared at her frowning. She brought her hand up to his face to feel his stubbly cheek, which was really move of a short beard than five-o-clock shadow by now.

"Did you give up on shaving my love?" She smiled giddily. He looked confused and brought his own hand up to his jaw. Before he could say something sad she continued. ""I like it. You look like a very rugged, very sexy, lumberjack." He smiled and her mission was complete. That face would be the face she would remember when she was old and senile.

"Jack told me you were a little out of it."

She made an offended sound. "I'm not out of it! I just missed you." She changed her tone to a more serious one. "I thought I wouldn't get to see you again." Unfortunately this statement brought his frown firmly back in place.

"Malia, I need to know what those bastards did to you." He spoke through gritted teeth.

She frowned. "I only really saw Vincent. Mr. Denizen, the unit council leader, came in. He was in charge. He told Vincent to-" She took a shaky breath, "He told him to break the skin with the..with the whip." She began to have another very emotional, medicine-induced outburst. Cain held her through her sobbing, making consoling gestures and sounds.

"Please Malia, don't cry." He ran his hand over her hair as she sobbed into the crook of his neck and shoulder. "You're killing me here sweetheart." He pleaded.

"I'm sorry." She sniffled. "I can't help it. It's the medicine." She knew that if she tried to tell him what happened again it would only cause another negative emotional response. So she should just get it all out of the way. If she didn't tell him he would think the worst. Malia cried through the sentences, but told him everything.

"Cain can you just lie up here with me?" She asked once she finally stopped crying. He looked unbearably sad and guilty but tried to smile and complied as she scooted to the far edge of the hospital bed. He wrapped his arm around her and her head rested on his bicep. Every inch of her side pressed up against his in the single bed. She had never been more comfortable.

He was very quiet and she worried that he was feeling guilty again. "What did you do to Dutari and Denizen after I passed out?"

He waited a moment before answering her. "I don't want to upset you again Malia. We can talk about it later."

"That bad huh?" She smirked. "I wont loose any sleep hearing about any pain you put them through."

"Is that what you want?" She looked up to see his questioning face. "For me to have them beaten or tortured?" He looked hopeful.

She thought about it for a moment. Waiting for Vincent to come back and knowing that he would bring indescribable pain and probably death was the worst thing she'd ever had to endure. She wouldn't wish it on anyone, not even Vincent himself. "No." She answered surely.

"Damn. That's what I thought you would say. To tell you the truth, I haven't done anything to them. Yet."

She intertwined their fingers as she listened to him speak. "Nothing?" She asked.

"No. I've been here." He said it unsurely.

Malia smiled. "Is it absolutely awful of me to be pleased that you've been worrying about me?"

"Yes. Yes it is." He smirked.

She laughed and nuzzled into his neck. The room was quiet and dark, it was surprisingly peaceful for a hospital room. There was so much that needed to be discussed between the two of them but she didn't have any motivation to talk about anything right now. She laid next to him and listened to his deep breathing as he fell asleep, then she joined him in blissful unconsciousness.

--------

Cain was confused for a moment when he woke up in an unfamiliar room. He had fallen asleep cuddled next to Malia. His arm was asleep under the weight of her head.

Cain felt like he was running on borrowed energy. The last three days had been the longest of his life. Even when the doctors had assured him that Malia was fine and would make a full recovery, he was a mess. When Tristan had been unconscious from hypothermia so many years ago the guilt had been insufferable. But when Malia was unconscious it hadn't been guilt that had tormented Cain, but an overwhelming sense of vulnerability

It hadn't helped his mood or energy level that he'd been forced to spend every waking hour in close proximity to Jack Yates. Malia's mother had turned out to be very pleasant. She had the same sense of humor as Malia as well as a kind heart she tried to hide behind an impressive outward strength. Her father, however, was proving to be and overbearing ass. Cain hadn't had a father figure for a long time, other than his occasional meetings with Eli McAllister, and he wasn't relishing Jack's patronizing attitude. He treated him like an unruly teenager and the ensuing power struggles between them reminded him of his less than idyllic adolescence.

Spending all of his time worrying about Malia and fighting with Jack, Cain hadn't had time to deal with his prisoners. He hadn't been lying when he'd told Malia that he'd done nothing to Dutari, Lutz, and Denizen. Denizen had been brought back to Milan manner instead of a jail holding cell, apparently under McAllister's order, though Cain hadn't spoken with him himself. For three days they had resided in his basement cells with no food and minimal water. He'd done nothing to them nor for them. They hadn't been on Cain's mind long enough for him to decide what he should do with them. He didn't know what Eli McAllister would allow him to decide. The general of the army couldn't condone him murdering three men out of revenge, but why hadn't he had the men transferred to a government jail? Cain didn't know if he still had a job or was going to get arrested any minute with the way he'd bombarded the unit and abused Denizen. He should be more worried, but knowing Malia was okay was too much of a relief to feel too much negativity at the moment.

He shifted beside her, moving his arm from underneath her head, and he went back to sleep.

----------

Gwen woke up from a dreamless sleep. She was surprised that she hadn't had a nightmare about the shooting. It was probably due to the heavy medication she'd been receiving. The room was dim, but not dark. She immediately saw Tristan sitting next to her bed, asleep and snoring. Jeez no wonder she'd woken up.

She smiled to herself. He was still here in the hospital with her. It felt like she was too lucky, like it was all a dream she was going to wake up from. Considering she'd just had two bullets removed from her body the feeling was disorienting and surprising to her. Maybe the drugs were too strong.

Tristan and Jack had talked to her for hours about what had happened. Then she had to repeat everything word for word to Cain. Luckily Tristan had been in the room or she wasn't sure she would've been able to make it through, Cain still intimidated her greatly. The entire ordeal had exhausted her and she'd fallen asleep. She wanted to talk to Tristan about more personal matters but she also desperately wanted to avoid it.

What was going to happen now? Was she supposed to just go back to her cleaning job? Was she going to be able to compartmentalize her life into work and personal life while she was in the same place for both? She didn't think she would be able to have a romantic relationship with her boss. She knew she wouldn't feel okay quitting her job and freeloading off of Tristan. What would her coworkers think? She wouldn't be able to blame them. Sleeping her way to the top was not what she wanted to tell her grandkids someday. She had no idea how to avoid it though. She could work for him or she could not, but she didn't have a choice as to whether or not to have a relationship with him. She wanted to be with him. She just hoped her dignity wouldn't be the price.

Tristan frowned in his sleep. He was so beautiful. His hair had a slight curl that was longer than it usually was and his face was covered in dark stubble. His arms were crossed over his chest and his legs were stretched out. She wanted to get up and go over to touch him. As soon as she moved her arm to get up pain shot through her shoulder. When she took a deep breath in from the surprise of the pain she started to cough uncontrollably, which caused more pain everywhere. She was able to grab a box of tissues off the side table before she started coughing up blood. Tristan was up and hovering over her before she got control of the cough.

"I'll call the nurse." He started to move but she grabbed his wrist.

"No, no. I'm fine. I promise." He looked reluctant to stay. "Please, just stay with me."

He scowled at her. "Don't do that."

"What?"

"You can't use that against me, not if this is going to work between us."

"Can't use what against you?" Gwen was genuinely perplexed. He paused for a minute and just looked at her sweetly.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 220 milliseconds