A Complicated Story Ch. 02

We let her decide, I suggested she call Vince and tell him what was expected of him while she was there. Kim listened in on the conversation. Vince smooth talked her and promised he had changed and would make her his priority. She made him promise to spend time with her. Kori made me promise I would not come up and 'spy' on her, in exchange I made her promise she would call me each night and check in. A deal was made, I called Mildred and asked that she keep an eye on her also.

I dropped her off Saturday afternoon, Vince looked the same, the trailer looked like shit. I called Mildred every night and morning for a report. Vince was true to his word through Tuesday, Kori called me as we agreed. I had high hopes for them, maybe he was turning the corner. Then Mildred said Vince looked drunk Wednesday morning, he left late for work. That night she said Vince had not come home yet it was well past ten. Kori did not call.

In the morning Mildred said Vince did not come home until almost two in the morning and he still had not gone to work. I had an uneasy feeling all day. After dinner I still had not heard from Kori. Kim was getting worried. She wanted me to go and check up on her. I refused based on my promise, Kim was not happy with me. I was just about to call Mildred, it was almost ten. Then the phone rang.

"Dad where are you?" Kori was sobbing in the phone. She had called me dad? Maybe she thought she dialed Vince.

"Kori this is Adam, not your dad! I'm at home. Are you ok?" She was crying and trying to talk at the same time.

"Can you come get me?" Kori sobbed.

"I am on my way!" I went to tell Kim I was leaving. "Are you in danger?"

"No he's gone, but please come get me dad!" Kori pleaded. She called me dad again. For so long she refused allow herself or anyone else suggest I was her father.

It took a few extra minutes to leave but I knew t would be worth it. I wanted to race up but Mildred said she would keep watch out for Vince. I finally pulled onto the street Mildred was standing on her porch with Kori and her bags.

I opened the rear door and picked Izzy up from her child seat. Kim and Max were getting out the other side. Kori was again overwhelmed as she stood looking at the four of us. At the same time the sound of a motorcycle came around the corner, it was Vince. He dismounted and looked at us then at Kori and Mildred.

"What the fuck is going on." Vince started sizing up the situation as he walked the short distance to Mildred's.

"Vince, please watch your language around the kids." I said firmly

"Is that my boy?" Vince asked ignoring my request. I was going to say something but Max cut me off.

"This is my dad!" Max moved to me, I put my arm over his shoulder showing Vince I would protect him. "I am almost eleven, and you have never even called once! You are no father! This is my dad and he always will be!"

Kim and I were stunned, Max had never shown such emotion before. Kori looked at Max then me. She bounded down the steps and flung herself at me still holding Izzy.

"Max is right, I love you dad!" She kissed my cheek as she took Izzy from my arms. "Come on sis, it's time we go home where we belong."

Vince looked on bewildered. He looked at Kim he saw the coldness in her eyes and decided it was better to say nothing. He turned and went back to his bike without another word. Kori had Izzy strapped in her seat. I introduced Mildred to Kim and Max. I thanked her for her help. I loaded Kori's bags as she hugged Mildred and thanked her. Back in the Explorer we headed for home. I felt like a weight had been removed from my shoulders that had been there for years. I looked over at Kim I could see the same relief. My ultimate dream came true, we were a family.

"Dad can we take Izzy to the lake before we go back to school?" Kori asked.

"Sure, I think she would like that!" I replied.

"Hear that Iz? Daddy says we can go to the lake and play!" Kori kissed her, Izzy having no idea what she was saying, she was not one yet, but the kiss told her all she needed to know.

"Hey what about me they are my parents too!" Max teased. Kori looked over at him.

"I have never been prouder of you, what you said back there, I should have said that years ago myself." Kori kissed his cheek.

"UCK! I meant the lake not the kiss!" Max teased. Kori kissed him on the cheek again.

"That is enough kissing you two, you are brother and sister!" Kim entered the fray.

"Mom, did you hear what you just said? Really?" Max asked. I looked at Kim myself, she seemed clueless. Finally she understood what we were all teasing her about.

"I guess I don't think of your dad as my brother. He is so much more than that!" She took my hand and kissed it her eyes filled with love.

Max looked at Kori, Kori looked at Max.

"EEWWWW!" They said in unison.

"Get a room!" Max joked.

"We have a room. Maybe tonight we will work on a brother?" Kim teased. I knew she was just kidding, but they didn't. We agreed that was not to happen again. When Kim had Isabelle she had her tubes tied.

"TMI!" Kori squealed acting offended.

It was the best time I had ever had in the car to that point in my life.

When we got home we put the kids down for the night. Kim was up getting ready for bed, I was making sure the house was locked up. I came up the stairs and saw Kori's bedroom door open. Looking down the hall I saw our door open as well.

"Everything ok?" I asked as Kori sat on the edge of the bed embracing Kim. They both looked at me, I could see they were emotional.

"Maybe you should tell him yourself?" Kim suggested.

Kori stood and face me still holding Kim's hand for moral support.

"I just want you to know I think I am starting to understand now." Kori said meekly.

"I am glad honey, I always hoped you would someday." I replied looking at her and then Kim.

"Please Kori ask him." Kim encouraged her. Kori looked back, Kim squeezed her had reminding her she was there.

"Adam do you ever think Vince will change?" Kori asked. She called me Adam but then she called him Vince.

"There may come a day when he sees what a fool he has been. What he has given up." I replied skirting the question.

"You have never lied to me Adam. Do you think he will change?" Kori is just like her mother, she stood her ground wanting to know.

"No baby, I am sorry but I don't think he will." I said sadly.

"Neither do I dad." Kori gave me an unhappy smile. "I promise you both I will not contact him again."

"We will understand if you do." I replied.

"No dad I don't think you do!" Kori replied. "We all have a part to play in this family, as the oldest sibling mine is to make sure I set a good example for Max and Izzy."

Kim was clueless to what she was saying but I read her loud and clear.

"Good night mom, I love you." She leaned in they exchanged kisses on the cheek. Kori moved to me. She pulled me down and kissed my cheek. "Goodnight dad, I love you."

Max is graduating high school this year, Kori is finishing up college. Kori never passes on a chance to spend time with Izzy. They are the best friends two sisters could ever be. Vince has never contacted either Kori or Max, I use to keep tabs on him but no longer fell the need to do so.

Dad is still with us but just barely, his garden and ours are his only job now. His health no longer allows him to work his old job. Karen and I have shared many a kiss over the years, she and Kim have spent many a weekend together.

As for Kim, she still surprises me now and then, but true to her word has never left without permission. She asked me to join her and mom the last trip they took. I refused of course, I feel that I owe that much to dad. Maybe if he passes I will take them up on the offer, to do so now would...just make things more complicated.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 165 milliseconds