Ashton Hill Fools

"I'm here, baby. Did you think I'd disappeared?" she crooned. "I'm here."

Grayson watched her as she settled the little girl. She may think she wasn't mummy material, but in the last week she'd proved that she was, in more ways than one. The little girl burrowed her head into Quinn's shoulder and tangled her little fists in the long blonde and brown streaked hair that he loved so much. Her sister had been superficially beautiful, and it had been enhanced both surgically and cosmetically, but Quinn was effortlessly gorgeous, and so sexy. He wanted nothing more than to be the one to run his hands into her hair, or, better yet, throw her over his shoulder and take her to his bedroom right now.

The female genes were strong in their family, with both sisters having similar colouring, eyes, and thick wavy hair, but that was where the similarity ended, and he could appreciate Quinn in a totally different way to her sister. It was hard to even believe they were sisters, which got him over the hurdle that had been presented to him in the beginning when he first met her. The initial attraction had been purely physical, and he couldn't deny that he obviously had a type, but that attraction had only grown, and even the scars he had discovered that first night added to her beauty. He wanted her even more badly than he had then, and, as much as he tried to fight it, there was a connection there, an understanding and a meeting of minds.

To say he cared about her was possibly an understatement, but he wasn't ready to admit to more, because, as she had pointed out time and time again, she was only temporary. She wasn't the beautiful, serene traditional wife he had in mind to fill that space in his life. She knew it, and he knew it. Still, their chemistry was electric, and he wasn't about to give that up either, not yet, anyway. Besides, they still had to find Rheagan, and he highly doubted that once she abandoned it, she wouldn't want to take the baby back. For Quinn's sake, though, he planned to give Rheagan a hard dose of reality when they found her, which he had no doubt Roland would do, eventually.

"Stay for dinner, at least," Quinn said as Melody came back downstairs with a suitcase packed. "Noah has missed you, and, despite his grouchy mood, I know Grayson has too. You could invite Paul and Thorn and Byron. There's plenty of food in the house." She'd have to go grocery shopping again tomorrow, but that would give her a diversion from being stuck at home with Grayson all day and the electricity that bounced off him into her core.

"I couldn't do that to you at such short notice," Melody smiled at the invitation and turned to look at Grayson, he still didn't look happy. "I know he missed me and loves me, but my poor boy doesn't like change. Unfortunately, all things must change sometimes, and I have to admit I am enjoying this particular change in my life, I just wish he could be happy for me too."

"I can tell. You're glowing, but that might just be your fabulous tan," Quinn complimented.

"Tell you what, why don't we come for dinner tomorrow night, that will give you more time to prepare and invite the others, then you can come to us for lunch on Sunday," she smiled. "Grayson? Does that suit you?" Melody asked.

"Whatever works for Quinn, I won't be cooking," he shrugged and grabbed a beer from the fridge. "I'll be in my office," he grumbled. "I'm glad you are back, Mother, and I am happy for you and Paul," he said politely and kissed her cheek as he went past. Despite his formal words, Quinn could see the affection they had for each other, and wondered why Melody had left it so long to be with the man she obviously loved.

Quinn had walked Melody to the door and considered the invitation she had made. It occurred to her suddenly that tomorrow was the ANZAC Day holiday and the shops wouldn't be open. If she needed anything, she would have to go out this afternoon, and it was getting later by the minute. She walked through to Grayson's office, hating to disturb him.

"I have to go out to the store, because everything is going to be shut tomorrow. Do you need anything?" she asked. "We won't be long. I'll pick up something quick and easy for dinner while we're out. How does pizza sound?"

"We?" he asked.

"I'll take the kids with me, I'm the nanny, after all," she laughed.

"I'll watch them, I can't concentrate anyway," he shook his head. "You'll be quicker on your own." When she gave him a sceptical look, he continued. "I'm more than capable of watching the kids for an hour or two, Quinn. I've been looking after Noah for a while now on my own," he said, ignoring the fact that he'd had his mother and Jo to do most of the work, but he had been a hands-on father, regardless, when he was at home.

"If you're sure... But maybe I should take April anyway, she can be a bit whiny this time of the afternoon," she said with a frown.

"Just go," he shook his head. "I'll be fine, Noah and I can handle the baby," he stood and took April from her arms. "Do you need money?" he asked, reaching into his back pocket.

"No, I've got this," she said easily. "I'll be back as soon as possible."

******

Quinn was halfway through her shopping when she got the odd sensation she was being watched. She looked around and couldn't see anyone suspicious amongst the other last-minute shoppers, but, thinking ahead to the long weekend, she had begun what promised to be quite a large shopping spree and was taking far longer than she originally had thought.

She was enjoying being on her own, if only for an hour or two, but knew Grayson would be waiting for her return and probably in a panic that she had run away and left with him another child to care for, just like Rheagan. She moved a little faster at that thought and pulled her phone out of her bag, keeping it in her pocket where she would feel it buzz in case he called.

She couldn't shake the feeling of being watched, however, and she made it through the checkout and the manager asked one of the younger members of staff to help her to her car with the large load. 'Thank goodness for small town hospitality.' she thought. She would never get service like this in the city. She opened the boot for the young man to start loading her groceries and went to put her bag in the car before helping him with the last of it. A movement out of the corner of her eye made her look up; and two men in suits she didn't know approached her. Ignoring them, and having her uneasy feeling increase, she dialled Grayson's number, but before the call went through one of the men spoke, making her turn toward him.

"Rheagan Myers?" the man asked.

"No, Quinn Thomas," she said. "Let me guess, she ripped you off? Stole something precious from you? Left you holding the bag for something she did wrong? Whatever it is it's not my problem. I'm looking for her too."

"You look just like her," one of the men eyed her sceptically, so she dug out her license and held it up.

"See, Quinn Thomas, ask anyone. I grew up here," she sighed. "What did she do this time?"

"We just want to talk to her," the same man spoke again.

"Well, as you can see, I'm not her, and I have no idea where she is. I'm just another stupid person she used, then dumped. Trust me when I tell you that Rheagan Myers is not welcome in this town, not by anyone since her mother died. She has no reason to come back here," Quinn spoke quickly. There was no way she would endanger April or Noah by letting these men know she had abandoned both of her children here. She knew thugs when she saw them.

"It's not her," the second man said gruffly. "Rheagan's got bigger tits and no scars like that on her legs or face."

Quinn looked down, she hadn't worn her usual boots, but instead had slipped on some comfortable joggers. As for her breasts, they weren't that small, she thought, crossing her arms to cover them, her phone still in her hand.

"Look, fellas, if you find her let her know Quinn is looking for her, but, as you so ably pointed out, I'm not her," she said.

"Will that be all, Miss Thomas?" the young man said, closing her boot and wheeling the trolley up the other side of the car. The two men obviously hadn't seen him there loading her groceries.

"Yes, thanks so much for your help, I think I went a bit overboard for a holiday," she gave a crooked smile. "These gentlemen were just leaving, I'm sure," she said, when, to her surprise, a police car pulled into the carpark next to where she stood. Small towns, you had to love them. "Thank you very much," she shook her head.

"Hey, Quinn, everything alright?" the officer asked.

"I don't know," she looked at the two men. "Is everything alright?" she asked them.

"Sorry to have disturbed your evening, Miss Thomas. You look very much like a woman we would like to find," the first of the men said.

"You go on home, Quinn, I'm sure I can help these gentlemen find who they're looking for. It's my job, after all," he gave her a wink and walked toward the two men. Quinn got in the car and sped home, confident in the fact that the men who had been watching her as she shopped were being detained by the officer.

"Seems we're not the only ones looking for Rheagan," she said as she and Grayson carted the last of the groceries into the house.

"So, I heard," he said, obviously not happy about the fact. "You called me, remember?" he turned to look at her.

"I didn't think the call went through, I'm sorry about that, I would have said something otherwise," she went to find her phone, digging around in her bag.

"I called Clint, which was why he made his timely appearance," he explained with a sigh. "I don't want all this drama, especially for Noah. If they come here looking for you..." he left the sentence hanging. He was mad at her for being in danger, for possibly bringing that danger here to his home. Most of all he was mad at himself for caring so damn much and knowing she wouldn't want him to. He hated that he had felt next to useless listening to the conversation and calling Clint on his office phone to go and help her, because he couldn't have taken the children into that situation and couldn't leave them here alone.

"Oh, sure, of course," she sagged. "I should go." This was what always happened. She got dragged into Rheagan's world, and then, when things went pear-shaped, everyone blamed her. "I'll go pack our things," she said quietly.

"Wait! What?" Grayson asked, confused.

"I didn't want his drama either, and it's not my fault. I'll wear it because I don't have a choice, it would be nice to have choices for once. I don't, but you do. It's better if I go now, who knows who else will come looking for her here because she left her baby with me. I never would have brought this drama here myself, and I'm sorry if you think I would bring that sort of drama into your home," she said sadly. "You know, I didn't ask for April to be abandoned, I certainly didn't ask your mother to bring me here, and I was more than happy to stay with Mary Delaney. Being here in this house was never my choice, Grayson, so don't you dare look at me like it was me that knowingly put either of those precious little children in danger!"

"You don't have to go, not tonight. It's already dark outside," Grayson said, and stared at her, stunned by what she had said. When she fled upstairs in tears, he had been rooted to the spot. She was right, he knew she was right. He was being unfair, but he couldn't help it. He had to protect Noah from Rheagan and whatever trouble she was in now. That didn't mean he wanted Quinn to leave though. More than that, even, he wanted to avoid a scene with her in front of the children, so he took Noah into his office to build his new Lego project until she calmed down. He told himself she wouldn't leave because she was safe here with him, and refused to beg her to stay if she was determined to go.

Quinn was an expert at packing and leaving places in a hurry. Her whole career had depended on it. She grabbed what she needed for the baby and no more than that, as well as her one single bag, then went to pack the car. Grayson wasn't in the kitchen when she went through to her car. She didn't see him again as she made three separate trips, the last one with April in her arms. Then she got into her car and drove, not knowing where she was headed.

Quinn pulled up at the Ranch for petrol on her way out of town. Lance came out to help her. One of the many things she liked about small towns. They still believed in service with a smile.

"It's a bit late to be headed back to the city," Lance commented as he filled her tank.

"I guess, but I have things to do there that can't wait," she smiled engaging in the small talk. "Thanks for this, I didn't want to leave the baby to come in and pay."

"It's always slow at night," he shrugged. "I'll probably close soon." He recognised Quinn Thomas, but knew she was way out of his league. While that had never stopped him before, the baby in the car was a stumbling block he didn't even think even her hot body could get him over. Not to mention the fact that she was heading out of town, not driving into it.

"Thanks, Lance," Quinn smiled.

"You remember me?" he asked.

"Sure, you were always at the Delaney house when Annie and I were trying to study," she laughed.

"I guess that true, it's good having Jack home again, looks like he might stay this time," he nodded.

"I thought both the twins joined the army?" Quinn frowned. Harrison Delaney was her hero, but she had thought similarly of Jack.

"Jack's with Search and Rescue now," Lance said as if he was proud of his friend. "He still kicks serious ass on a daily basis."

"Thanks, Lance, I'll come and see you next time I come home," Quinn waved and drove off. 'Home,' she thought. It was hard to believe after so much time had passed that she still thought of Ashton Hill as home. Her heart lurched a bit as she thought, not of her mother's small cottage, but of Ryder House, the grand sandstone home she had shared for almost a month with Grayson and his son.

For someone who liked being alone, who felt constantly itchy when she was pinned to one spot for too long, she had been remarkably content there. That thought frightened her. What frightened her more was that, when she thought about going back to work and her world of airports and hotels, her heart rebelled. She loved her job, she couldn't imagine giving it up and relinquishing her independence and freedom, but the thought of what she had just given up by walking out of that house tonight, a home, threw her into a tailspin of warring emotions.

She hadn't wanted to leave until those men showed up looking for Rheagan. In fact, she had been so content that her only thoughts had been to find Rheagan, not about her itchy feet or the need to escape the domesticity that she had surrounded herself with there. Deep down in her heart, she knew why. She'd fallen in love with the baby girl gurgling happily in the backseat of her car, and Noah. She'd loved being their stand-in Mummy and looking after the large but cosy house. It was also very possible that she'd started to fall in love with her sister's ex, which was totally unacceptable.

"No," she told herself out loud in a confident voice. "You were just temporarily seduced by the lovely house and two gorgeous kids. Reality check, you are not what he wants, and domestic bliss is not what you want!" She sighed. "First things first, April. First, we need to find your Mummy, and I can do that better from the city. Roland found nothing he could tell me about, so let's fire him. As the saying goes... if you want a job done right then you need to do it yourself." April gurgled happily as if answering Quinn, making her smile. She really did love April, and handing her back to Rheagan would hurt, she knew, but it was for the best, just like leaving Grayson tonight was for the best. She had to go before she got any more attached to the strange life she had been leading there with that uber sexy man and their adorable children.

"You know what, April, I think Aunty Quinn forgot to pay her brain bill," she shook her head. Yes, leaving that fantasy behind was the best thing she could have done. So why was her stomach churning and tears threatening to spill from her eyes? She had to get off the crazy train and start thinking logically. Her phone rang, and she tapped the button on the steering wheel to answer it without thinking.

"Quinn, it's Roland. Are you home?" the deep voice demanded.

"Home?" she questioned, trying to gather her scattered thoughts and emotions.

"Did you go home to Ryder House after those guys accosted you?" he asked, sounding frustrated with her.

"Oh, yes, I did," she answered stiltedly.

"Good, stay there, I'll be there in the morning," he exhaled the words loudly.

"Roland, look, I've decided to find Rheagan on my own, so you don't have to worry about me anymore. I'm sorry to have wasted your time. Just send the bill to my email account, and I'll settle it by the end of the week. Thank you for trying to find her, but I've got this now." Quinn said.

"You can't be serious! You don't know what you're getting into!" Roland argued.

"Trust me, I've been dealing with this my whole life. I know exactly what I am getting into," she sighed heavily. "Goodbye, Roland." She ended the call before he could say anything else.

"That's one job done," Quinn said confidently. "Now we need to organise somewhere to stay tonight," she said and glanced in the rear vision mirror at April.

*****

Grayson sat in his office helping Noah build a pirate ship from Lego's while Quinn packed her car and left. He hadn't asked her to go, he'd told her not to go, but when she had said she was leaving he hadn't done much to stop her, and he hated himself for letting her leave. He had known she would leave, eventually. She had warned him that she was only here on a temporary basis. He'd been guarding his heart and his child against this day which, thanks to Rheagan, had come sooner than either of them had thought. He had to let her go, didn't he?

It didn't matter that she was right and none of the mess she found herself in was her fault. Nothing was more important to him than Noah, and he wasn't about to let another woman take him down to the depths of madness that Rheagan had, no matter if he thought he could care for her more than what he was prepared to admit to anyone, even himself. No matter if his mind twisted and almost snapped thinking about her out there alone with some thugs looking for Rheagan. She was a big girl, she could look out for herself, she had made sure he knew that she didn't need him or any man looking after her. She was Miss Independent, and that was how she liked it.

His phone buzzed on his desk, and he ignored it. He didn't need anyone telling what an asshole he'd been letting Quinn leave, pushing her to leave by being so mad at her. He knew he had overreacted and hadn't been fair to her, but he'd had his reasons. She was only here temporarily anyway, it wasn't like she could ever have been part of his family or wanted to be permanently tied to him. But his own words that afternoon, when he had kissed her in the pantry, came back to him. She would always be Noah's Aunt, no matter what else happened. No, he reassured himself, he'd done the right thing in letting her go. She was as dangerous as her sister, and the attraction between them meant only trouble for him a second time around.

"Alright, Noah, bedtime," Grayson said an hour later, and picked up the pieces they still had remaining to finish the project off tomorrow.

"Where's Aunty Quinn?" Noah asked as Grayson carried him upstairs. "She likes to put me in my pyjama's. She says it's because they're cuddly and she loves my cuddles."

"She had to go," Grayson said. "So, you get extra Dad cuddle's tonight," Grayson explained.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 11 milliseconds