Bard's Tale 01 - The Beginning

Reison Whisper Wind watched the priestess work with utter fascination. Such power! And while she didn't stand out at first, at the inn he'd heard her retort and liked her sense of humor. And here, he could see her very real kindness. He also knew Tia's power firsthand. She'd healed him, and even as he'd begun to shake from blood loss, yet with a simple word and her touch, he was whole and hale, ready to do anything! And looking into her eyes, he knew she was wise and could teach him so much. During the rest of the battle, it had been really comforting knowing she was close by.

And the other two sisters! They were equally amazing. He was fascinated by Mindal. He loved music and wanted more than anything to learn to become a bard, to have music become an integral part of his life. That she was beautiful, talented, and obviously loved music was incredible! The night before, she'd been nice enough to show him the fingerings so that he could learn the songs. He wondered, if he dared ask, would he let him become her apprentice?

The middle sister, though. She seemed distant. He thought at first it was him, but he quickly saw she was reserved around everyone but her sisters. She was fearless and fierce in battle! And she was faster than he'd ever seen anyone move. What did the others call her? Warrior priestess? No, that wasn't right. Watching her, Reison thought her graceful, strong, and deadly. If he somehow managed to get Tia to teach him some of the things she knew, and better, if he became Mindal's apprentice, maybe Tahna could be persuaded to teach him how to fight like that!

Then he chuckled. What would they see in him? They'd just met. Maybe, given time, they could become friends. The rest? It was too much to hope for. Thinking that he'd given himself a proper dose of reality, Reison turned to watch the priestess continue her work.

Each of the dead required one day of complete rest for each day or part of a day deceased. As the humans was returned to life, there was a pause.

Mindal put Rose away. Their carriage needed to be repaired and moved back onto the road. Grabbing a couple strong men and ropes, she led the way.

The priestess next approached the dead wood elves. Nine times the priestess used her other-worldly voice and magic to call them back. Five answered. The priestess looked exhausted, yet she continued on. At one point, she almost stumbled and Tahna grabbed her, steadying her sister.

Because the dead had failed her call, they were gathered together, off the road. After reciting their names and families, they sang Deep in the Woods, a popular song among the wood elves. As the song completed, Tia cast rest eternal. Stones were collected and piled over their ashes, while the priestess stood and blessed their grave site.

Treasure was collected from their enemies, and would be shared among the survivors when they made camp later that evening.

Tahna helped Tia walk to their carriage. Not really having anything else better to do, and concerned for the priestess, Reison followed them.

Brandol Evergreen, a wood elven sergeant, caught up to Reison. "Thanks for the assist today. The captain said you helped a lot. Are you sure you won't stay with us? You're a fine warrior and we could use you."

"Thanks, but I have plans," Reison answered. "Besides, some hold my being half-elven against me."

"Not me, and not the captain. A lot of us are shifting around because of what's happened. I'm afraid that your horse has been appropriated by the merchant for one of the wagons. We need your help with getting things changed around."

"Great," Reison replied. Then he looked at the priestess leaning on her sister as they continued walking toward the rear of the caravan.

"A bit of advice. Stay away, Reison. They aren't what they seem."

"What do you mean? They're humans."

"Humans with young bodies. Who have made this journey for at least thirty years. That I personally know of."

"You're what, two hundred years old, Brandol? Yet you could pass for twenty among humans. So what if they're older? That's just magic. And adds more to their mystery. How is that any different than being an elf or half-elf with scores or even hundreds of years of life? It's attitude and character that makes or prevents friendships."

The wood elf shook his head. "Don't say I didn't warn you. Give me a hand. They'll need horses to pull their carriage."

Nodding, Reison followed Brandol.

* * * * *

As they walked, Tia leaned on Tahna's arm. Tahna kept glancing at her with concern. "You spent a lot of power in a short time. A lot. Are you going to be okay?"

"Tired," Tia mumbled.

Both of them were dirty, from the fight and its aftermath. It seemed that each time Tahna looked at her big sister, Tia looked worse. They passed some wood elves, who nodded in acknowledgment, but the monk sourly noted that none of them offered her sister any concern.

During the previous winter, Tahna had talked about it with Mother Galamindöl, their father's first wife, who was also a high elf. She had said that it sometimes confused them that humans through magic could live longer than they were accustomed to, and that wood elves were normally reticent with all outsiders.

Mother Morgan then had said such might have been true, but for a few years now, words of poison had been whispered in the halls of Wood Haven, the capital of the wood elven kingdom, and the unsolved murder of Princess Tinuvial Taluveaë was only the beginning. She'd then warned Tahna to be more watchful on their trips. "Nothing ees defineet," she'd said. "But mark my words, young one. Bad times, zay be coming."

Up ahead, Tahna saw Mindal at the back of their carriage, poking around. Tent poles were being tossed onto the ground by her feet. Just as she was about to call out to Mindal, there were two suddenly around them. One was an elf leading two horses, and the other was that young half-elf fighter.

"Is she all right? Here."

And like that, Reison scooped her up into his arms, cradling her.

For half a second, Tahna she was stunned. Then furious. "You have your nerve! That's my sister, you moron! Put. Her. Down. Easy. Or I will break many of your bones."

"Can't you see she's almost out on her feet?" he snapped back. "Think! I'm trying to help here. You lead, I'll follow."

Mindal, seeing the situation, hurried over. "Tia? Tahna, what's wrong with her?"

"She needs to rest," Tahna told her.

Mindal lifted Tia's face, looking into her unfocused eyes. "Too much high-level energy channeled in too short a time. Darn it, Tia! She might be going into spell-shock, all because she wanted to do everything herself. Keep her warm and dry."

"We need to get the tent set up," Tahna said. "Once we get her inside the carriage, I'll help."

"You can't," spoke the wood elf holding the pair of horses. "Captain's orders are to get moving as soon as we can. We're too spread out here. Too vulnerable."

"What!" Tahna exclaimed. Then she looked at Mindal.

"He's right," Reison said. "It'll mean a couple of hours in the dark, but once we make camp, we can circle the wagons and be safer. We already have many unable to do anything until late tomorrow, if at all."

When Mindal nodded grimly in agreement, Tahna went to storage area at the back of the carriage. "I don't see the slats in here. Where are they?"

The padded slats stretched the distance from seat to seat, turning the seats into a large bed. They were normally stored in the rear boot of the carriage.

"Already in use," Mindal answered. "Robert and John are inside, resting. And I've already cleaned them up." When people died, their bladders and bowels released, making an awful mess. It was one of those important things that fancy heroic tales of derring-do never mentioned. Hard to think of the glorious knight in fancy armor, banners flying proudly, enemies vanquished around him -- or her -- and know that the air stank rightly of piss and shit. Which is why they rode about on their trusty steeds. Walk about in your boots and you got mucked up in crap.

Mindal pointed. "The packs are already in there, too. You get in there with them, Tahna. You mind all three of them. I'll drive."

Sighing, she nodded. Opening the carriage door, Tahna climbed in, moved some things around before turning about on the cushioned platform.

Lifting Tia up, Reison carefully handed her to Tahna. Once her sister was safe inside, Tahna scowled at him, pulled the door closed with a bang and slid the window slat down with a clatter, shutting out the world.

"She's like a mamma bear," he remarked.

Mindal laughed. "That isn't the half of it." She held out her hand to him. "Mindal Landers. And thank you for all your help."

He shook her hand. "Reison Whisper Wind. Spelled with the letter I, not an A. And I was glad to be of help."

"You fought beside Tahna. She's fast, but you saved her from being hit from behind. And I think you are a student of music, too?"

"Reison! Take these horses. You can talk on the road. I need to get back!" the wood elf interrupted. "We've got three hours travel yet, and it'll be dark in one!"

Almost blushing, he took the animals from Brandol. Mindal grinned, and taking one, guided the horse into position next to the yoke. Reison had ridden a horse before and knew how to put on a saddle, but had never worked such a complicated harness before.

He watched as she put the front part over the horse's head first, gently setting the noseband, browband, and crownpiece into place, being extra careful with the sensitive ears. She checked the cheek-piece to make sure there was enough give without being too loose, then buckled the throatlatch. The forked neckstraps secured the front of the breast collar. Straightened out the backstrap, Mindal then attached the breeching behind the mare's rear legs and the crupper under the tail. With a few clicks, the tracing was attached to the yoke. A final check to the false martingale, the belly girth, and hip straps. Last was a check to make sure the reins laid flat and straight. After the first horse was in place, the second horse was similarly harnessed.

As she worked, Mindal murmured quietly, soothingly to the horses, her tone and constant encouragement kept them calm. Working together as a team takes practice, and both horses were used to riders, not pulling noisy wagons or carriages.

When she was done, Mindal dropped her backpack to the ground and dug into it. After finding what she wanted, she gave one to each horse. The apples were wizened from winter storage, but were still sweet. Both gratefully accepted the treat and after quickly munching it down, looked for more.

Reison laughed, and Mindal joined him. "That's enough for now. More later," she promised, petting their faces in turn.

Grabbing her pack, she walked to the side of the carriage. Mindal tossed her pack up.

A scout rode down the line, calling out, "Fifteen minutes! Be ready to move out in fifteen minutes!"

Reison helped her pick up the tent poles and re-stored their tent into the rear boot. Once the canvas cover was secured, he looked about, suddenly looking awkward. "Umm..."

"You have someplace else to be, Reison-with-an-I?"

He shook his head. "Uh, no. Lost my own horse in this fight. And it's just Reison."

"Well, just-Reison, if want, you could ride me." His eyes widened slightly. "Ride with us, I mean," she amended, simultaneously enjoying his surprise and her accidental slip. "Some company would be appreciated."

He half-smiled. "You are what my mother calls full of vim and vinegar, aren't you?"

"I think the phrase is supposed to be 'vim and vigor'," Mindal said.

"Nope. Mother always said vim and vinegar. Full of energy, tart and sassy, and a bit on the dangerous side. I think that's you."

She felt the heat rise from her chest to her cheeks, and couldn't believe it. Blushing! How did he do that? "So you think I'm sassy and dangerous?"

He grinned. "I've seen you fight. And your terrifically talented, have an incredible voice, and... well, I've said too much already."

"Maybe. Maybe not. I guess I stand corrected. Vim and vinegar. Do you need to get your things?"

"I'll run up ahead and collect them. Wait for you there," Reison replied. Turning, he dashed off toward the wagons ahead of them.

Just as she put her foot on the step, the window to the carriage slid open. "You be careful there, Mindal," Tahna warned.

"What do you mean?"

"He wasn't just watching you last night. He watched you back at the inn, too."

"He was watching my fingers. I think he plays music and wants to learn more."

"Just be careful," Tahna repeated.

"He called you a mamma bear," she said, grinning.

"I heard him," she growled. "I'll show him mamma bear. Rip off all his little Goldilocks arms, pull out all his hair, and kick his ass from here to next Tuesday."

Mindal pushed down the step and peered into the window. "He's a nice guy, Tahna. I saw him take out the orc at your back. You're tough, but you could have gotten hurt. He may not be very experienced, but he's brave. With you to watch over her, Tia is going to be all right. She needs help now, but she's a big girl. She chose to spend the energy. Once she is better, we can both chew her out."

"All right." Mollified, Tahna gave their sleeping sister's face a gentle caress.

"And don't neglect Robert or John either. Because if anything happens to them, you will have to explain it to Moira and Jenny."

"I got it, Mindal. I know how to be a nursemaid. I've taken care of you both enough times."

"Yes, you have. You have always taken good care of us, big sister. I love you for it, and I love you just because you're you. I know Tia does, too."

"Someone has to look out for you," she muttered.

"I know," Mindal said quietly. "She just needs rest. Both of you took care of me. Now we'll take care of her. And when we get to town, will you let me take care of you? Time in the spa, full mani and pedi, massage, and your hair done?"

Tahna could imagine a lot of other things she'd rather be doing, but she recognized this as Mindal's attempt to do something nice for her. After a long breath, Tahna gave her half a smile before nodding.

Even that small admission made Mindal grin. "Thank you, Sis."

Along the road in front of them, an elf on horseback galloped, shouting, "Five minute warning! Prepare to move out! Five minutes!"

"Time to get going," Mindal said. "Holler if you need anything."

"Okay."

Mindal climbed up to the seat and took up the reins. The wagon ahead of them began to move.

She clicked her tongue and gave a slap to the reins. "Giddy-up! Be good and remember, another apple for each of you tonight. And oats for when we reach City of the Suns. Bunches and bunches of oats. That's it. Nice and easy."

When she saw Reison standing beside the road, she grinned at him. Large backpack, sword, cloak. Mandolin case over one shoulder, and saddle in his left hand. As she pulled near, he hauled himself up, tossing the saddle onto the roof. As he settled next to her, he gave a huge grin.

Mindal grinned back. "You made it, just-Reison."

He rolled his eyes. "I did, just-Mindal."

She looked at him in surprise. Then burst out laughing. "Oh, my. I like you! Do we get you for tomorrow too, or do you have other obligations?"

"I don't owe them service. I did two years in the Border Scouts, but I'm done and free. I'm a traveler, like you."

"So, you're not going to get into trouble being here?"

"Nope. Not unless you're planning something." He gave her a daring, sideways look.

"I only bite when the situation calls for it," she assured him, then grinned. She found herself feeling really comfortable with him.

"Uh huh. So your boisterous bite bit is benevolently benign?"

She laughed at his word play. "I like you!" Mindal took in his brown hair blowing in the breeze. His blue eyes. The slightly-pointed half-elven ears. Strong chin. "Do I detect an Irish Celtic accent in your elvish?"

He blinked, then grinned. "That you do. My mother's Irish, by way of Preston."

"Ah, Preston. That explains some of the Welsh inflections I've been hearing. And your wood elven sounds influenced by high elf."

"And yours by grey elven."

Mindal beamed in delight. He was good! And right on! Mother Galamindöl's father was high elf, but her mother was a grey elf. She'd been raised with both dialects spoken in the house, and she'd passed the languages on to those in the Landers Household.

"I think our time together is going to pass all too quick for me. We're headed to City of the Suns, Reison. What's next for you?"

"There's a music college in Sharaton-Charlottesville. I want to study there and become a bard."

She smirked, barely able to contain herself. As calmly as she could, she said, "Oh, really?"

"I hope one day to become as skilled as you are."

She glanced at him sharply, looking for any guile. She saw none. "You think I'm skilled?"

He laughed, shaking his head. "You are amazing! Hah hah! I need to think of another word to describe you, but that's what keeps coming back to me. Your voice is so sweet and pure, you put birds to shame. When you sing, there is such a radiance about you, I'm blown away. And your legs... uh... I'm sorry. I'm being too forward."

Mindal looked at him, seeking any hints of subterfuge. All she saw was honest sincerity looking back at her. "No, you're not. I appreciate the candor. It's been a long time since anyone used radiance and me in the same sentence. And what about my legs?"

"Amazing. They should use that word. And more," he murmured. "You really are a beautiful woman."

Oh, gods above, she thought. Mindal felt herself moisten. Too soon to be thinking about tumbling him. And he looks so young! But so far, he was doing impressively well! she thought. He thinks I'm amazing!

She had to know more, though. "How old are you, Reison?"

"I'm twenty."

"No way!"

No, no, no! A twenty-year old half-elf? That was like... fourteen or fifteen in human years! And here he is, out here in the world! Some woman was going to snatch him up and have her way with him and he was going to wonder what hit him. Mindal swallowed, doing her best to contain herself.

"I know what you're thinking, but you're wrong," he insisted. "I'm not too young. I've seen combat before today. Lost comrades in arms. I'm no expert, but I can use a sword, spear, and bow."

He's too smooth with the words, she thought. He's been with women before. He must have! "You have, haven't you?"

"I have, what?"

"Been with women before." Then winced, closing her eyes. Real smooth, Mindal!

"That's rather personal, isn't it?"

"I only ask because it sounded like you were trying to get into my panties." Ack! Where are these words coming from? And who's letting my mouth run loose?

"I wasn't, to be honest, but if you're offering, I won't say no."

Mindal Theláyna Landers! You hardly even know him! On the other hand, for the past few years, it's only taken a handsome face, a ready smile, and few beers at the end of a gig for a man to get my panties off. And even as she chastised herself, she felt herself getting wet.

She found herself wanting to wrap her legs around him, to lose herself in pleasure. He was handsome without being intimidating, and he had a quick wit that she found arousing.

Her past readiness to jump into sex now held her back. Her history of hedonism hadn't worked out so well. She wanted someone to be there in the morning. And the morning after. Someone with whom she could have a real conversation with, maybe even about music! She was tired of meaningless one-night stands. They felt good and everything, but after years of such fare, sating her body was no longer enough. Her heart had needs, too.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 93 milliseconds