Bard's Tale 01 - The Beginning

"No. Just as far as Ayerdine's Crossing. Then I'm heading back home for a few more weeks. Our brother Hapu wants to spend several months at the main temples in the Empire of Cartharsis. I have agreed to travel with him. I haven't been there is many years, and I think it'll be good for both of us."

"What a weird name for a nation! Cartharsis is a violent purging process. Like barfing!"

"It fits, though. It's wild sometimes, and they do have a lot of festivals."

"Even so."

"The Empire also has a seamier underbelly. It's said that everything good or evil under the sun can be found within the Empire, and they actually take pride in that. They believe it's an achievement, a sign of their civilization and their dominance in the world that their Empire contains all things, even those things considered decadent and depraved."

"Have a good time, but please be careful. If you two go missing, I will come looking for you."

"Thank you, Sister."

"Are you on first watch?"

Elisabeth nodded.

On the other side of the camp, two of the teamsters also kept watch. While proficient with basic weapons, the men were primarily craftsmen, not warriors or adventurers. Traveling with the three Landers Sisters was considered a safe journey. The addition of Elisabeth, a Master of Winter monk, had increased the cheer of the other travelers. Most didn't know what that meant exactly, but they did know that like Tahna, Elisabeth was fast and seriously good at knocking people down.

"All right," Tahna said. "Shall I relieve you around midnight?"

"Sure. Now how about you and Tia?"

Tahna raised her eyebrows. "How about us, what?"

Elisabeth took a deep breath. "Mindal's drinking is just a symptom. Drinking alone? That usually means pain, depression, or both. You and Tia are a lot more controlled, but you have it, too. An inner discontent. No, rather, you have a quiet desperation about you."

She looked away, embarrassed. "It's that obvious?"

Elisabeth shook her head. "As I said, you and Tia hide it real well. To most people, you are the same as you've always been. Calm, competent, and ready to help others without expectation of reward. It's just that here and there, I pick up things. Sister, you know I'd never read any of your thoughts without your permission. But sometimes they leak out."

"I know that, Elisabeth. You're not just family, you're a good and moral woman, and I know you'd be discreet."

"Thank you. I try to live by your example, Tahna. What? Didn't you know that? It's true. But let me ask you a question. When was the last time you had a really good time? When you laughed until your sides ached? Looked around you and felt joy in the world?"

"Too long," Tahna admitted, then took a long breath of her own. "You're right. All three of us feel it."

Elisabeth put her hand on her half-sister's shoulder. "Have you figured out what's wrong?"

"Only that we seem to be in a routine that's become a rut. The details differ, but it's the same thing, year after year."

"Start with the basics. Determine what it is that you want. That will help you find inner direction. It's not much, but as your concerned sister, I offer you a hug and support. And once you figure things out and you need help, just say the word."

Tahna pulled her in for an embrace, kissing her cheek. "I know. And thank you, Sis."

Elisabeth gave her a solid hug in return. "It'll work out."

"Some psychic premonition?"

"Not in this case, no," Elisabeth replied with assurance. "You are smart women. For as long as I can remember, you three have been there for each other, watching each other's backs and taking care of each other. You've faced a lot tougher situations and come through. Besides, you're a Landers. And we're a tough bunch. Whatever happens and whatever you three decide, I'm sure it will be for the better. You've been self-sufficient for so long, you may have forgotten that the rest of us think the world of you three, and we like doing things for you, too. We are family."

"Thank you, Elisabeth. For the reminder and for your words. You're a good sister."

She smiled. "See? Even when you are troubled yourselves, you and the other two make sure that those around you feel good. Go on, Tahna. Get some rest. I'll see you later."

Tahna returned to the tent, crawling in behind Tia, who was spooned behind Mindal. As she pulled the blanket over herself, feeling the comforting heat of her body, Tahna knew that whatever change did come, it would have to include her two sisters.

* * * * *

It rained for most the next day, but during the night, the weather began clearing. By the next morning, their third day of travel, they could see early stalks pushing up through the damp ground, and a few early flowers. Bleeding heart. Hyacinth. Crocus, snowflake, and lungwort. Forget-me-not, daffodils, and bluebells. Birds chattered, and the early March day was cool without being overly cold.

By mid-afternoon, they reached Ayerdine's Crossing, a small fort maintained by the wood elves at the easternmost edge of their forest domain. The dark-grey basalt walls were from the mines operated by St. Petersburg. Mages from City of the Suns had worked the stone so that the basalt would not oxidize and turn brown or rust-red.

The fort itself was a trading hub, a trade nexus that connected the eastern wood elven villages with their human neighbors. While some trade occurred with New Brittany, the bulk of the commerce flowed north to City of the Suns and to St. Petersburg, where the Seine joined the larger Crescent River as it turned northward.

The forest road paralleled the Seine; travel on the road and keeping the road clear were the sole incursions allowed by the wood elves of their neighbors. While some wood elves talked of human contamination and the desire to sever all contact, the road to New Brittany was permitted to remain, for many of the elven bow masters had trained with Galamindöl Landers, and their sword masters with Frínulas Landers, the first and second wives to the Lord of New Brittany.

As the gates opened to allow them entry, they encountered a caravan of elven traders already within the fort's walls.

After the wagons came to a creaky halt, people got out and stretched their legs. Most went for a meal and a drink at The Naughty Nixie. The inn, small library, jail, armory, barracks, and few homes comprised the entirety of Ayerdine's Crossing. The garrison fluctuated from sixty to a hundred, and the fort's size was limited by the elven king's strict decree. No expansion was allowed.

Mindal stood still amid the chaos around her, taking in the breeze. Tahna and Tia looked at each other and nodded. The much-needed sleep had much improved their youngest sister's outlook.

While the caravan masters met and worked out which passengers were going where and in what direction, Tahna dragged all three of her sisters into the inn. Her treat.

Even Mindal had been surprised, but they accepted. Monks rarely had much personal cash. While it was true that Tia managed a trust fund for Tahna, with the vague aim of being used for a future monastery should Tahna ever decide to settle down and take up teaching, it was still a rare thing for Tahna to so offer, and for that, her sisters happily accepted. A short while later, all three were delighted to have Elisabeth join them.

After a pleasant meal at the inn, the three sisters bade goodbye to Elisabeth. She was returning to New Brittany with a small caravan of ten wagons. To make room within the cramped fort for the band continuing northward to City of the Suns, the south-bound group was departing immediately.

To the delight of many within the inn, they watched Mindal open her mandolin case and cradle her beloved Rose. Conversations quieted and people moved their seats to watch and listen, and sometimes a chance to sing along.

Even with breaks in between and a longer one for dinner, Mindal played until midnight. Some were elven favorites, and their soprano and tenor voices joined in chorus, filling the inn with music and spilling out into the night. Other songs were for listening, for the telling of tales, and they were content to let the master bard weave the stories for them. Mindal's skill with minor illusion magic complemented the longer songs, showing flashes of people and places, adding to their delight. The magic within Rose herself bolstered these presentations, adding to the overall enchantment of the watchers. Elves work closely with magic, and some say it's in their blood, and for that reason charms and enchantments must be truly good to entice and ensnare them. Mindal's skill as a master musician flawlessly drew all of them in.

At midnight, though, Tia stood up before the assembled group and called a halt to the festivities. The elves, of course, could have gone all night, even if many were set to travel the next morning. The three sisters themselves were known to many of the garrison, as well as to the innkeeper and his staff. Some teased Tia for not letting Mindal continue playing. Mindal did have a reputation for staying up all night and partying.

Putting her hands on her hips, Tia put on her best "disapproving" look and scanned the commons. Voices of disappointment faded to chuckles and private conversations. As a high priestess, Tia was often accorded the honorific of Mother.

"Can't she play longer, Mother?" and a few even dared, "Aww, Mom!"

Tia nodded sternly. "We're leaving early in the morning, you impudent scamps, and need our rest. And if you truly want to claim my maternity, you need to come closer into the light so I can see if I recollect your father in your face."

Laughter burst forth at her words.

It was known that Tia Landers sometimes worked at the temple of Osh Mayan, god of the waters, fertility, healing, and magic. During those years in the service of the Son of Heaven, she provided sex instruction for those who were of age, and for a donation, offered sexual services to the public. It was also known that some of the more adventurous wood elves found work as mercenaries in City of the Suns and in Sharaton-Charlottesville. Visits to the temple by wood elves were a known indulgence.

As Tahna brought Rose's case to Mindal, Tia surveyed the room again, noticing for the first time a very young half-elf seated at a table alone. He couldn't have been more than in his mid-twenties, she estimated. He had been watching Mindal's performance in silent rapture. Then he turned to meet her gaze. He had a pleasant face, and a very nice smile that reached his amazing, incredible blue eyes. If she only got closer, she could feel his lips on hers and gaze even more into his lovely eyes.

Tia blinked.

What? she thought. Where did that come from? Stop that, Tia! If he were ten years older, maybe! You can wait until you get to the capital for some bedroom action! You aren't that needy. Love at first sight? Doesn't happen! Lust maybe, but not love. But, oh, goddess, I love his eyes, I could fall into them and lose... Tia, stop!

Suddenly flushing, she looked away. Then, against her wishes, she glanced back.

He was still looking at her. At her! Still smiling. Too innocent to be condescending or calculating. But obviously admiring. Was he part of the fort's garrison or journeying with them, Tia wondered. And, oh goddess, there were his eyes again...

Tahna and Mindal passed her by, heading for the exit, and his gaze followed them. When he met her eyes again, she felt heat between her legs. And a definite loosening. Most definite. With a gasp, Tia turned and hurried after them.

In the darkness, they depended upon Tahna to help them navigate between all the many wagons and carts to their tent beside their carriage. The priestess was relieved to enter the tent last. The extra moments allowed her to calm down. Using the dim light of their hooded lantern to see by, Tia and Tahna quickly undressed.

Mindal sat on her blankets, pouting. "I don't know why you two want to go to bed now. It was a good performance, and I feel all charged up."

Tahna just looked at Tia as she folded her gi into a neat stack, setting it on top of her pack. Her sports bra followed.

Tia shrugged, hanging her robes by the hook hanging from the tent pole. "She's a night owl. Always has been. You know that. She'd stay up all night and sleep past noon every day if she could."

"Hey! I am sitting right here, you know," Mindal grumped.

Both of the older sisters were soon down to their panties, but Mindal made no move to undress. While it was cooler outside, Tia had placed a simple warding spell to keep out rodents and insects, and a heating spell to keep the inside of the tent warm. As they were inside for the night, Tia raised her holy symbol and cast circle of privacy. To those outside the tent, the faint light of the lantern vanished, and noises, even loud talking, would only be heard now as indecipherable whispers.

Tahna reached over and pulled off Mindal's boots. Once Tia finished her spell, she helped undress their youngest sister.

"I'm glad you're feeling better, Mindal," Tia said, undoing the belt at her waist. "But you need more rest."

"I told you, I'm feeling charged up. Antsy, even."

"Do you want me to cast restful sleep again? Or do you need to masturbate?"

Mindal raised her eyebrows as Tia unbuttoned her vest and the shirt underneath. Tahna tugged down her trousers. "Nudity is one thing. But I don't think I can do that with you here. It's one thing if I think you're asleep. But not if I know you're awake. It's too weird."

"Do you need me to touch you?" Tia asked, setting the clothes into a semi-neat pile.

Mindal's eyes widened. "You've never said anything like that to me before, Tia."

"You're my sister. If you need help getting to sleep, what's the big deal? If it helps, think of it like a back rub, except that it's on your sensitive parts."

"Uhh... We have decades of history between us, and this is new. It's a big deal, Tia."

Tahna nodded in agreement.

"Most days I would agree with you, but tonight I'm in a strange mood and kind of feeling my age, I guess. It's not like I'm lusting after you, Mindal. A restful sleep spell would certainly be quicker and not as messy." Then she nodded. "Both of you are correct. If you think it will change our relationship too much, say the word. This is an offer, made with loving intent. If this is too uncomfortable, just say no, and it's done."

Mindal looked at her older sister, barely breathing.

Tia glanced down and saw a line of moisture begin to darken the cloth covering her youngest sister's mound. "What do you say, Mindal?"

"Well, I don't know. What are you offering here?"

"I'd spoon up behind you, nibble your neck, play with your nipples and finger you until you came."

"That's it?"

Tia took a long breath. "If you prefer, I could hold your legs apart and lick your pussy. It's not like I haven't done a lot of that before. But I may use you to get myself off in return."

Mindal blinked. "Oh? Like, how would you go about doing that?"

"With my tongue and fingers. How else, silly!"

"No, I--"

"If you want to find out, make a decision, Mindal. But if you don't decide soon, I'm going to spell you and go to sleep. It's past midnight, and I prefer laying down in a bed that doesn't move rather than trying to sleep in the carriage with all its bumps and jostles."

Tia watched her youngest sister, watched her cogitate over the notion of seeing Tia between her legs and how much a power trip it would be. Seeing that look in her sister's eyes was all Tia needed.

"I think--" Mindal began.

"Too late," Tia said, then touched her pendant as she uttered the spell.

With barely a change, Mindal's eyes rolled back in her head and went limp, sound asleep by the time she connected with the pillow.

"Would you have done it if she'd been a little quicker in asking?" Tahna asked, helping Tia get their sister under the blankets and onto her side. If left on her back, she'd begin to snore.

"Probably. But I'd prefer it if she did it because she wanted to feel good or because she wanted to share. I'm not interested in playing mind games, and I could see her going there tonight. Giving pleasure, yes. Doing it like I'm servicing her? No, thanks."

"You might have been wrong. She barely got two words out." Tahna turned down the lantern and snuggled in behind Mindal.

"Do you really and truly think she was going to ask because she wanted me?"

"Naw. It was a good call," the warrior monk admitted. "What if she makes the same request tomorrow?"

"I'll deal with it then. Goodnight, Tahna." Tia settled in behind Tahna, pulling the blankets up around them.

"A question then," Tahna continued. "Did your offer have anything to do with your own arousal?"

"What?"

"I saw that your gusset is wet. So did that have anything to do with your surprising offer?"

"Maybe. I guess. I don't know."

"She might take you up on the offer for the novelty, but in the long run, I don't think either one of you will find it something you could commit to, or that it will help with our current situation."

"Goodnight, Tahna."

"Night."

Thank you, blessed Lawgiver, for my sisters, Tia prayed, whom I love with all my heart. Help us to find our heart's ease, to the betterment of Your service. As You will, so it is.

Tahna's thoughts were remarkably similar. With her usual addition of a prayer for the safety and return of Lysandra Darkmoon.

* * * * *

Part 3

* * * * *

The next morning came early enough. Mindal didn't say anything, but she did give Tia a measured look followed by a slow nod before helping out with packing up their tent and gear.

While Tahna and Mindal loaded up the carriage, and their drivers, Robert and John, hooked up the horses, Tia took their kits to the inn. Five silver pennies for five bowls of hot porridge with cream, warm seed bread, each with a dollop of honey, and ten sealed bottles -- five of pure spring water and five of honey mead. Water for during the day, and the mead to go with dinner later that evening.

While all three had plenty to drink for their trip and to spare, the water and the mead were both a tradition and a treat. The treat part was that the bottles kept cold without additional help until opened. The empties were collected at the end of the trip and returned to the inn for a nice deposit, three coppers for bottle and cap, and provided a bit of income for one of the traders living in Athenia, the town they were heading to. The bottles went into her pack, and a tray to carry the food, as well as hot tea and coffee.

When Tia returned, all five of them paused to devour the meal. Tea for the priestess and warrior monk, and hot coffee for bard and the drivers. Mindal did the cantrips that magically cleaned the bowls and utensils with a mutter and a wave of her hand, then carried the tray and dishes back to the inn.

By seven bells, the caravan began to move. The gates opened and the lead scouts cantered out. Behind them, teamsters whistled and reins slapped. Wheels clattered and wagons creaked forward, northward bound once again.

Needing to stretch their legs, the sisters trotted ahead, soon passing the first wagon. Tahna, as usual, wore what she wore all the time - her tan gi with the dark brown bordering. The other two sisters wore shorts and loose shirts with sports bras and low, soft boots. Tahna and Mindal carried weapons with them. When they reached ten klicks, they turned back. The morning was cool, and dozens of birds and squirrels chattered around them. The wagon met them within five kilometers.

After the three climbed into the carriage, Tahna handed the other two towels to wipe their faces and necks. Mindal was tired, but Tia was dripping and breathing hard.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 22 milliseconds