Bard's Tale 01 - The Beginning

The look from Tahna was more than enough. She knew the criticism without it having to be voiced, the benefit of decades of living together. A simple look spoke volumes. More exercise, less desk time, the priestess resolved.

"You aren't even sweating," Mindal said to Tahna.

"Your point?"

"Just observing, Tahna. Your endurance is phenomenal. What's your best distance?"

The warrior monk shrugged. "Don't know for sure."

"Tell her how long... it took you to make your... last trip to City of the Suns," Tia urged.

Tahna raised her eyebrows at how out of breath Tia was. It was only fifteen kilometers, and unencumbered at that.

"When did you do that?" Mindal asked.

"Just after Winter Solstice. They needed a consult on a crime scene. The duchess sent a telepathic message to Elisabeth and she passed it on to me. Trip took me three days."

"Wait! Three days?" she exclaimed. "Total? From New Brittany to the city gates? Yes, caravans move a lot slower than someone on horseback, but you were on foot. There was like four feet of snow on the ground. And you did it in three days?"

"Six to ten in some places." Tahna settled onto the floor of the carriage, in preparation for her morning meditation.

"You're having me on. It's more than three hundred kilometers--"

"Three hundred and fifty two," Tahna corrected.

"Exactly? Oh, right. Math genius. But Tahna. All that way? On foot?"

"Yes, she did, on foot," Tia added, wiping her forehead again. "A hundred and seventeen point repeating three kilometers per day. Our sister is a real phenomenon."

"Why didn't you ask Mother Galamindöl or even father to teleport you? Or one of our brothers, like Hapu or Silmodan?"

"Wasn't fit weather to take a horse out in," Tahna drawled. "Besides, they weren't home. And our parents were in seclusion in the magic lab. If you're done chattering, I need to meditate now."

The warrior pulled her legs into full lotus position, aware yet focusing on her thoughts as she closed her eyes and slowed her breathing.

Mindal sat back, looking at Tia again for confirmation.

Tia nodded.

"Tahna, that's remarkable. No, too tame a word. Incredible. What... oh, sorry. I'll leave you alone. Will it bother you if I play Rose?"

A pause, then, "Playing is fine," the monk answered at last. Then Tahna took another long, slow breath, followed by an even slower exhale.

Tia took a long drink of water, then passed it to Mindal. While Tia reached into her pack for a clean shirt, Mindal settled Rose onto her lap.

Her fingers moved over the strings casually, filling the air. Tia spied a mischievous gleam, and Mindal's fingers began to move.

Let me tell you the tale of Tahna the monk --

She's not a mister, she's my sister,

And she saved me when I was drunk.

A thousand orcs and goblins on my ass --

I was overly bold, or so I've been told,

And they didn't appreciate my sass.

Closer and closer the reaving hordes came--

Any sage could have said, I was going to be dead,

As they charged after me screaming my name.

Then Tahna, warrior monk, arrived upon the scene!

With a mighty thwack, in the middle of my back,

I burped and woke up from my dream.

A damp towel hit Mindal right in the face as Tia burst out laughing.

Tahna got up, growling. "I'm going topside." Opening the carriage door, she climbed out and up, out of sight.

"She might not have appreciated it, but I think it's a hoot, Mindal," Tia said. "When did you do that?"

Suddenly quiet, Mindal put Rose back into her case and closed it up. Sat her instrument carefully onto the floor.

"Please, don't put her away! That was delightful. I'd like to hear more!"

A tear spilled from Mindal's eye as she looked up. Quickly followed by another. "I did that seventeen years ago. Seventeen years, Tia! I felt good last night, full of hope and possibilities. Today, I know that nothing's changed. What am we going to do?"

Tia shifted to the corner and held out her arms. Suddenly crying, Mindal crossed to her seat and curled onto her lap.

"Whatever happens, remember this," Tia said, holding her, stroking her back, "You are not alone. This affects us, too. And we'll find our way together, baby sister. Like we always have."

"Do... do you think maybe we're just too old inside? That we've missed our chance?"

"No, baby. Our parents are all older than us, and they are vibrant, happy, and involved with each other and with our entire family. No, it's something within us. I think we just need to figure out what we want and make that happen."

"Okay." Mindal burrowed into the warmth and safety of her big sister's chest, laying her face against her large, soft breasts. "But what if what we decide is not what I really want? Or what I need?"

"Whatever happens, we are sisters. And always will be. We'll decide together."

* * * * *

After a nap, Tia read to Mindal for a while. Tahna re-entered the carriage and joined them for lunch. Afterward, Tahna and Tia spent three hours playing chess without the pieces, using their mental memory of the board. Tia won the first game, barely. The second was a draw, and Tahna handily won the last two.

"Are you two done?" Mindal asked in exasperation. She'd long since lost track. Indeed, she was able to follow the first five or six moves before she lost track of their positions. She didn't have the spatial ability to keep everything in its place.

Tia glanced at Tahna. "I believe so. I may be the better mathematician, but Tahna is sneakier and has put me in my place. Why?"

"Because I'm seriously bored, and I'm tired of listening to you two talk about a game I am unable to follow."

"Fine. Let's talk about last night," Tia replied, setting down the book she had just picked up.

Mindal glanced at Tahna.

"Don't look at me, Mindal. Tia is the one who asked you the question. As they say in bard school, it's time to face the music."

Mindal scowled. "They really don't say that in bard school. That phrase stinks worse than fish from last week's market. Only irritating sisters say obvious things like that. Besides, nothing happened. What's to talk about?"

"What's to talk about is your naughty penchant for turning things around. I made you an offer to help you get some release, and I saw you have a bad thought--"

"How do you know that, Tia?" Mindal demanded. "How?"

"You have a tell," Tahna told her. "There's a little wiggle of your eyebrows and a glint in your eyes. It's quick, so most might not see it. But we're used to how you operate."

Mindal didn't say anything, but her scowl said volumes.

"I prefer men," Tia said. "The reality, though, is that sometimes a live, hard cock isn't always available. Given a choice, I'd rather be with someone than masturbate alone, so I will nibble pussy and do my best to give that person a good time. I get off on that. Or at least I get closer to getting off. I get that sometimes a person has sex just to feel the earthquake in their loins, and love has nothing to do with it. But I won't be a notch on a bedpost. And having someone get me to give them head just so they can say I did that to them? That's a surefire way to tick me off."

"Okay, you got me," Mindal admitted. "Would you really have done it? Put your mouth on my pussy?"

"I would fondle and suck your breasts, lick and drink down your pussy, tease your clit, and finger you until you screamed and gushed all over my face. Not because I have a driving need for you as a lover, but because you are my sister whom I have loved since the first time I laid eyes on her in our mother's arms. The happiness and well-being of you and Tahna are important to me. You two aren't just family, you are my family, the people I live together with and love as an adult woman. If you need to come and you need me to help you get there, I'm there, Mindal. Happy to do it. We're both consenting adults. I'm not in love with you, but I do love you. You, too, Tahna. Deep and true."

"So looking at me nude doesn't make you wet?" Mindal asked.

"I appreciate your fine form and your natural female beauty, but no. Sorry."

"No, you're being honest. I feel pretty much the same. I love you both immensely, but seeing either one of you naked? Meh. No reflection on your hotness as women, you understand."

Tia smiled. "Understood."

"So if I'm playing and having a good time, don't pull a curfew on me. And I'll do my best not to stay out all night and make you worry or keep you up. Deal?"

"Deal." Tia held out her hand, and they shook. Then Mindal held her hand to Tahna, who smiled and shook hands as well.

* * * * *

Part 4

* * * * *

When the third sun dipped below the horizon, the caravan reached the pull-out by the river and set up camp for the night. Guards were posted, and animals were groomed, fed, and watered. Evening meals prepared and cooked.

Several of the elves asked Mindal to entertain them, and after encouragement from Tia as well, she brought out Rose and played. As she warmed up, despite the underlying ache in her heart, she enjoyed the admiration of the crowd, taking pleasure in being skilled at her craft.

Then she noticed the attention paid to her by a young half-elf guard. He watched her intently. At first, Mindal felt flattered, and while she thought him too young, she did like the look of him well enough.

Then she realized he wasn't staring at her tits or ass so much as he was watching her hands. Like he was memorizing her fingering. To test her theory, at the end of the song, she ran through the chorus an extra time albeit slower, and then a third time, adding some extra flourishes before letting the song fade.

His fingers had followed hers, as if playing an imaginary instrument of his own. Then he suddenly looked up, realizing he'd been caught. He wasn't embarrassed. He simply grinned and nodded in appreciation.

More songs were called out to be heard, and Mindal played two more sets before calling it a night. All through her playing, she saw that the young male half-elf continued watching her hands. It was only between the songs that she saw his eyes roving freely over her body.

So he did find her body interesting, she thought, surprised at the satisfaction it gave her. But not when I'm playing. Then, it's all about the music. Another woman might feel slighted. To me, that's pretty hot!

After she finished playing, Mindal half-expected the young man to approach her, but he didn't. If fact, while people got up and drifted off to their tents, he managed to duck away.

During the night, it drizzled, but the sky began to clear with the dawn.

The next morning, they were on their way again, and the sisters took another early morning run.

It was around lunchtime when the caravan was ambushed.

Most of the people on the wagons didn't notice the sudden silence in the trees. By the time the advance guards were aware of the silence and its import, the orc cavalry was upon them.

One moment the three sisters were chatting as they ate inside their carriage, the next moment the carriage was hit hard enough to knock it about. Horses screamed. Robert and John yelled. Before they could recover, the carriage was hit and again, harder, and this time it tilted then crashed over onto its side. Pulled by the horses, it shifted sideways. Then, began sliding off the road and downslope before smashing hard against some trees.

People yelled and screamed.

Tahna was the first out of the carriage, throwing open the door, jumping up and standing onto its side. Four wargs with orc riders in armor savaged the horses, trapped in their harnesses. One orc pulling his spear from Robert. John lay sprawled out, bloody and lifeless.

Jumping down, Tahna leaped into the fray.

Blinding fast, she struck, dodged, and struck again. Bones broke under her punishing blows. Maces were dodged and orcs yanked down. A throat crushed here. Her sai slipped between the armor and punctured flesh.

A wolf's claw reached out, raking her side. Before the rider could follow up, he was suddenly impaled from behind by a spear.

Sucking air, Tahna ducked and spun, avoiding the fourth warg's attacks.

Disarmed by the falling orc, the half-elf drew his long sword. Muddy and scuffed, he threw himself at the warg without a rider, while Tahna engaged her newest opponent.

Snap! Snap! went the warg, latching on, then tearing viscously into the shoulder of the half-elf. He yelled and stabbed, then drove the blade deeper, killing the beast even as it gave his shoulder a mauling.

Tahna slid aside the ravening maw of another warg, punching her weapon into its neck. As the warg began to drop, Tahna lifted her other sai and caught the handle of the orc's mace, twisting it from his grip. As he grabbed for her, she drew him down and impaled him with both weapons. He shuddered and died.

Mindal jumped down from the carriage, drawing her long sword. Eldritch flames burst forth along the edges. Seeing the nearest enemies dead, and a glance at Tahna, Mindal charged toward the other wagons. Tahna turned and ran after her.

The half-elf looked up to see Tia, carefully getting out of the carriage. Moving to her, barely able to stand, he nonetheless used his one good hand to help her down.

"Thank you," she said. "Oh! You're hurt! Here, let me heal you." Holding her holy symbol, the priestess chanted. Heat and green light formed in her hand before flowing into his wounds. The intense relief from the pain was so great his knees buckled and he crumbled to the ground. Tia kept her hand on him, following him down, continuing her prayer. Nearby blood retreated back into his body, torn flesh quickly knitted, and new skin formed. In seconds, only new pink skin remained. Changing the chant, she moved her hand onto his shoulder. His undershirt mended, and then his leather armor reformed into a solid whole.

Taking a deep breath, she smiled at him, patting him. "There! Good as new."

"You're amazing," he said. "Thank you."

Spying Robert and John, Tia's face turned grim. "What's your name, young man?"

"Reision. Reison Whisper Wind." Getting up, he brushed himself off before looking back at the priestess who'd no doubt just saved his life. Unexpectedly, he began to shake. His body had been going in to shock, and now that it was healed, it was trying to catch up.

Putting her hand to his cheek, Tia simply said, "Peace." Warmth and calmness flooded into him, steadying him.

Then Tia got a good look and froze.

It was him! That same young man with those I-could-lose-myself-forever-in-those-beautiful-blue eyes. He didn't say anything. He didn't have to as they stood there, taking in the presence of the other.

Reison recovered first, clearing his throat.

Startled, Tia abruptly shook her head. "Sorry. Uh... I haven't done anything like that in ages. Come on. Let's go see what help we can render, shall we?"

"You'll stay behind me?" he asked as he quickly retrieved his sword and spear.

I'd rather have you behind me, almost escaped her lips, but she caught herself in time and nodded. She shook her head. Right now, she needed to focus. People were fighting for their lives. A touch to her pendant, and calm settled over her. Tia gestured. "Lead on, brave warrior."

* * * * *

Most of the damage and deaths happened within the first few minutes. Once the remaining elves had recovered, their sergeants used their limited combat spells to turn the tide. And the bard's music rallied their hearts, for Mindal sang, as she fought, her voice carrying far and wide.

The carriage was the only transport knocked off the road. Two wheels were broken, but Mindal, using her bardic magic, mended the wood. But nine horses were dead. Worse were the losses among the travelers. Seven of the twelve passengers from New Brittany were dead, including Robert Lennon and John Armstrong. And six wood elves. Several others were injured, including three that were life threatening. Several of the horses, too, suffered wounds.

Tia used her priestly magic and restored their health. Preventing death was much easier than re-affixing souls to their bodies. There were also three missing, but a party of wood elves, with the caravan captain, searched the area.

All of those from New Brittany were known to the sisters. At Tia's instruction, all the dead were laid out before her. Five wood elven guards stood watch alongside Mindal and Tahna. As the bodies were laid out on the road, the missing three were added to the slain.

A total of sixteen dead.

Tia was a powerful priestess. Still, raising sixteen dead was a daunting task. And there were other tasks that required attendance first.

Besides the twelve dead horses, there were several still alive, injured, that needed her curative magic. It took time to check the animals, but Tia loved animals. Any injury was healed. Using the music of Rose to aid her, Mindal was able to help with the healing of both horse and person. Mindal's efforts weren't trivial, but they paled in comparison to her older sister.

Tia regretted she could not spare the energy for the slain horses. With this many dead, the humans and elves had to come first. Out of respect for the horses, she cast the spell rest in peace before each of their bodies. At the end of each spell, the dead horse collapsed within itself, crumbling to dust.

While Tia did her work for their animals, the wood elves hauled orcs and wargs into three large piles. Raising her hands, invoking the Lawgiver, she chanted and cast the more powerful version, rest eternal, designed for times like these, to dispose of many dead at once, in a manner both timely and respectful. The spell not only prevented the stench of death, but also the scavengers such would attract. More importantly, especially for those of fouler taint, it would prevent them from arising as undead.

Each cure and each burial took its toll, taking a bit of Tia's energy as it channeled the goddess' power. Tahna kept close, keeping an eye on her sister.

Some of the sergeants and merchants tried to get the others to check for damage, but slowly most of the caravan gathered around the fallen. While other business was conducted, Mindal sang. Reminding them that whatever happened, they were alive, and that whatever happened, their companions had died bravely. Some looked appreciatively at the bard's song.

More than two hours had passed since the battle had ended, and the greatest tasks lay yet before the priestess.

Returning to the bodies laid out on the road, Tia looked around at those attending. Raising her arms, she thanked each of her traveling companions, those alive and dead for their efforts, and thanked the goddess for the gifts she had already bestowed, and those she was about to grant, and for allowing her to serve her Mistress.

Without Tia's presence, likely they would have had to wrap those dead with the means for services at one of the temples in the city before them. The majority, though, would have been buried. Or burned. The caravan had defeated their attackers, but at great cost. With Tia Landers in their midst, it changed everything. Many had heard stories, and already, she had done much.

Reison and the others held their breath as she approached the first body.

The humans were first. Some might say it was expected, as Tia was human. But the truth of the matter was one of faith. Raising the dead often meant dealing other gods. Those of her own faith were not an issue. The other humans were known to be Celtic, and there were covenants with the Celtic gods of the dead, Tuathan and Briton-Welsh alike.

One by one, Tia cast the spell and called them, her voice containing discernable power. Each time the spell completed, there was a sudden gasp for air, followed by a pained cry and panic. Those recent returned from the dead rarely remembered the events of their demise, and even experienced adventurers sometimes took a while to re-orient themselves. With the help of Mindal, Tahna, and their fellow townsfolk, the newly raised were reassured and comforted, then carried to one of the wagons.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 149 milliseconds