Down by the River Ch. 04

"I hope that's not a bad thing?" I asked him.

Uncle Matthew laughed. "Of course not. Nathan was a handsome man."

Was. So, my father was already dead, was he?

I glanced at Lucas just as Uncle Matthew called for his wife and his son. Lucas flashed me a smile before I looked away to meet his cousin.

"Oh, wow," said the young man who walked beside Susanna. He left his mother's side and approached me, kissing my hand the way that his father had done. He continued to hold my hand as he said, "I am Andrew James Riles, Lucas' cousin -- and ultimately your adopted cousin, too, since Papa is your uncle." He looked at Lucas. "Cousin, you should have told me that you have a lovely friend living near your place, so that I would have made good of Mary's invitation of a vacation with you."

I was amused. He reminded me so much of his Lucas's younger brother Jim -- or James, as I fondly called him. Andrew, like Jim, was named after Mary and Susanna's grandfather, but it was more than that name that they shared: they shared the same looks and the same flirtatiousness.

Susanna slapped Andrew's arm with the folded fan she was holding. "You should be glad, young man, that Lucas did not tell you about her, because if you had gone there just to seduce Selene, you would have suffered three deaths."

"Three deaths?" asked Andrew.

"You would have been killed by Selene's grandmother first," explained my uncle, chuckling, "and then by Lucas' family, and finally by Susanna and me."

"Hey!" Andrew chuckled, releasing my hand as he winked at me. "You're a much-loved beauty, aren't you? If I were a suitor, I would be trembling in fear every time I approach you." He chuckled before adding, "But I bet you already have a sweetheart, anyway."

To my horror, blood flooded to my cheeks. Both Susanna and my uncle were watching my reaction. Thankfully, Lucas saved me.

"You are embarrassing her," he told his cousin, grinning. "Selene grew up inside the forest and had minimal contact with men. How can you ever think that?"

I would skin him alive later for that comment, but for now, I would gladly hug him in gratitude -- if only we were alone.

"And now that makes me wonder if it's you who is her sweetheart," Andrew said, looking from Lucas to me and then back again. "You look good together."

Thankfully, Lucas was good at avoiding his cousin's traps. "I've heard that said before. It would be nice, wouldn't it, if Selene would agree to be mine?"

Lucas has already put his arms around my waist when Uncle Matthew, who was standing on my other side, cleared his throat. Lucas immediately grinned, which had the effect of making Andrew laugh. Susanna tapped Lucas' arm with her fan -- hard.

"Let's go to the dining hall now, shall we?" she proposed, taking her son's arm again. "These two young men are going to drive me crazy."

*****

I spent the rest of the morning and the whole afternoon with Lucas and Andrew. Uncle Matthew had to attend to some immediate business in town, and so left on horseback after lunch, taking three of his men with him.

Susanna was with the three of us as we toured the rest of the house, but asked to be left alone when the cousins told me that it was time to tour the immediate grounds.

So I was left in the company of Lucas and Andrew. The more time I spent` with him, the more convinced I became that Andrew was indeed so much like Jim. Even the way he talked to Lucas reminded me of Lucas' younger brother.

"Are you sure the two of you are not in a relationship?" Andrew asked suddenly when we were already near the pond.

Lucas grinned at him. "What if we are?"

"Why are you hiding it?" asked the younger man.

"Do we need reasons?" Lucas asked.

"Obviously," Andrew answered, looking at Lucas weirdly. "I mean, if Selene loves me, I swear I won't hide it from the world."

His words made me smile. "I appreciate that."

"Now, tell me truly," Andrew insisted. "Are you two in some kind of relationship?"

"We're best friends," Lucas told him.

"Not that kind of relationship!" Andrew said, shaking his head. "Are you sweethearts?"

"What if we are?" Lucas asked, chuckling.

Andrew frowned. "We're back to the beginning again. I swear I won't tell a soul. Just tell me what's true and what's not, because it's really bothering me."

"Why should it bother you in the first place?" Lucas asked.

The young man shrugged. "I don't know. I watch the two of you and do not notice any particular physical intimacy that will tell me you two are in a relationship, but just a glance at the way you sometimes look at each other seems to tell the whole story."

It reminded me of how Jim commented that anybody only had to look at Lucas and me to know for certain that something was between us. Was it really that obvious?

By that time, we already reached the pond. It was roughly situated in the middle of the forest behind the house. I marvelled at the sight of it. The water was so clear, and I could see some fish swimming in the water. A stone bridge was build in the middle of the pond, and there was where the men took me.

"So, tell me," coaxed Andrew.

"What if I am just in love with Selene?" Lucas asked his cousin. "What if I never told her? Then your blatant expression of opinion -- "

" -- based on observation -- " Andrew added.

Lucas lifted an eyebrow. "Fine. Your blatant expression of opinion, based on observation, already revealed my secret, didn't it?"

Andrew laughed. "Well, then, you should also realize that Selene's secret was also revealed. She loves you, too."

"For a young man, you are terribly outspoken," I told him, blushing.

He just waved his hand, as if to ward off my words. "That's a trait I seemed to have gotten from my mother. So, what is it, really? Are you or are you not in a relationship? If you are, just tell me. If you are not, just admit your feelings to each other."

Lucas groaned. "Andrew James Riles, you are one hell of a young man."

Lucas and I exchanged glances, not knowing whether we should reveal the secret to his cousin. Could this young man hide the secret from his parents? What if he tells everybody?

"See?" Andrew said. "Just a glance and everyone's bound to know."

I looked at him and realized that he had been watching us. "Fine. Is it really that obvious?"

Andrew grinned and looked at the pond. "No, not really. Not everybody has the ability to figure out things like that the way that I can." He laughed and took Lucas' hand to shake. "So, you and Selene are actually in a relationship. I congratulate you, cousin."

"Remember your promise of secrecy," I reminded him.

"I promise," he said, nodding. Then, with a sigh, he gestured at the surroundings. "So, what do you say? Loving the Riles estate so far?"

I smiled at him. "I believe so."

*****

The room assigned to me was not one with a balcony. Susanna promised to move me in one in two or three days, but said that I should make do with one without because it was the only available room at the moment.

"We had a guest who occupied this room just a few days ago," she explained as she brought me there. "So, as you see, it is already clean. The ones overlooking the front garden -- those rooms with balconies, I mean -- are not usually offered to guests, so most of them are not available for use just yet. Only the one that serves as Lucas' permanent quarters whenever he is here is clean right now, but the servants are already preparing the room next to his for your use. Meanwhile, you have to use this room until it's ready."

I told her that it was not a problem at all. I would love to stay in one of those rooms with balconies, but this one was already splendid, and I did not mind spending the night there.

There was a large four-poster bed set against the wall farthest from the door, and it was a very welcome sight, especially since I was already exhausted. On either sides of the bed were side tables -- on one of which sat a huge bowl of wrapped sweet treats together with a tall vase with fresh flowers, while on the other were a candelabra and some books . At the foot of the bed was a chaise lounge, on which my baggage was resting now.

I walked to the chaise lounge and sat there to observe. The wall with the windows were to my right. The windows were all tall and huge. Only the middle section of that wall had no window on it, for there was a coffee table surrounded by three huge cushioned armchairs and a loveseat. There were three wall lamps on that wall, the candles of which were all lit.

The wall opposite the bed was a huge walk-in closet, while against the wall to my left were the vanity, the writing desk, and a long cabinet above which hang a painting of the pond in the middle of the forest behind the house. On either sides of that painting were wall lamps identical to the ones above the loveseat.

With a sigh, I opened my baggage and took out a nightgown and a robe. Quickly, I changed into it, leaving my travelling gown and the chemise I wore under it draped on the chaise lounge. I then sat on the vanity to unpin my hair so that I could comb it and put it on the single braid that Mary said I should always wear to bed.

I was almost done braiding my hair when I heard a knock on the door and a woman's voice telling me that my bath was ready. I hastily finished my braid, put on the robe, and slipped into a pair of slippers before opening the door.

The young woman smiled and bowed her head to me, before leading me to the adjacent room, which turned out to be the bathroom. Another girl was waiting there, standing by the huge tub that was already filled with hot water. She poured something into the water, and then the scent of roses filled the room.

"We will be assisting you, Miss Selene," said the girl who fetched me.

I frowned at her. "Assisting?"

"We are here to help you clean your whole body," answered the girl who was already in the room. "Scrub your arms, legs, back..."

My eyes widened in horror. I never let anybody do that to me -- except for Lucas, when we would be fooling around and making love while bathing on the river at home. And, before Lucas became my lover, there was Marcus...

It took me a moment to convince both of the girls that I would do quite well on my own. Finally, however, they agreed to leave, and so I was able to bathe in the tub without feeling uncomfortable. I took care not to wet my hair, for I did not want sleeping with my hair wet, and I did not think that I could stay awake for much longer after this.

After a long, long time, the water was finally starting to lose its warmth, so I climbed out of the tub and dried myself with the towel I saw nearby, before slipping back into my night clothes. When I went outside, I saw that the two girls had been waiting for me all the while. I wished both of them good night before returning to my bedroom, locking the door behind me.

Once back inside the room, I undid my braid again and began combing my hair again in front of the vanity. I was wondering what Lucas was doing right then -- if he would even try to talk to me before he slept -- when, on the mirror, I saw the reflection of Lucas outside the window. With a yelp, I stood up and whirled around to look at that window, positive that I was hallucinating, for how on earth would somebody be outside my window, as high up as it was?

Yet, there was Lucas, and he gestured for me to open the window for him. A knock came from the door, and then there was the voice of one of the girls earlier, asking me if I was all right because they heard a yelp. I called to them that I just dropped something on the floor, before walking to the window to talk to Lucas.

"What's your problem?" I asked in a harsh whisper, glaring at him. "Why are you hanging right there?"

The effort it was taking him to hang on to something above the window was visible on his face. "Well, there are two maidservants waiting outside your door earlier, so I couldn't just knock on your door, could I? Now, would you let me into your room or should I just keep on hanging on here?"

"Of course I'm letting you in!" I told him, completely opening the window and then stepping back.

He groaned as he used his arms to pull his whole body upward. He then swung his body and let go of his handhold, landing on the floor with a loud thud.

I was horrified, especially when there were knocks on the door once again.

"Miss Selene, are you all right there?"

It was the girl again.

"I'm fine," I called out to her, helping Lucas to his feet. The devil was grinning. "I just dropped my suitcase on the floor!"

"We will be going downstairs now, then," she called again. "Is there anything else you need?"

"No," I answered as Lucas pulled me to him and started kissing my face. "I've got everything I need."

Both girls bade me good night before I heard their footsteps on the hall, fading away with every step. Immediately, I slapped Lucas' arm hard.

"What were you doing, you fool!" I hissed at him, glaring as I pushed him away. "Why did you climb the wall? What if you fell down?"

"I had to see you so I thought I would," he answered, shrugging as he moved to close the window again. "I reckoned there were many foot- and handholds on the wall, anyway, so, instead of waiting for the servants to leave, I thought I'd climb in through the window."

I shook my head at him. "That was dangerous!"

He chuckled and pulled me against him again. "I'm fine, so don't you fret about it now."

"You will not do it again -- ever," I told him, frowning even as he kissed my forehead. "Promise me."

"Are you kidding?" he replied. "If you'd be staying here again tomorrow night and those girls decide to guard your door the way that they did earlier, I would definitely climb the wall again. You know I'll do anything to be near you, sweetheart."

I rolled my eyes. "Those girls were not guarding my door! They were just waiting for me to finish my bath! Next time, just wait until they're gone and then you can knock on the door and I'll open it for you."

"Fair enough," he agreed, bowing his head down to nuzzle at my neck. "Besides, I don't like being all sweaty when you're smelling so damn good."

The instant my shock wore off, desire flared through my body with an intensity that almost left me breathless. I had to take a deep breath in order to gather my scattering wits.

"Lucas, wait," I said, pushing him away gently. "What if Uncle Matthew or Aunt Susanna or Andrew suddenly came knocking on the door?"

"None of them will do that," he assured me. "They all know how tired we are, so they will refrain from disturbing us tonight."

I smiled then. "Very well."

He lifted me on his arms and carried me to the bed. "You're not tired, are you, baby?"

"I was," I admitted, adjusting myself so that my head could comfortably rest on the pillows. The bed was not too soft, but the pillows were -- or, at least, the pillow under my head was. "But not anymore."

Lucas chuckled as he sat on the bed and took off his shirt. "I wonder why..."

"You know why," I told him, sitting up so that I could take a better look at him.

"What if I tell you that I am tired?" he asked, winking.

I crawled towards him and put my arms around his neck, pressing my breasts on his back. "Then I will make sure that you regret being tired."

He laughed as he took hold of one of my hands and brought it to his lips. "You should hear yourself, Selene. You sound like a total minx."

"You always say that I am your little minx," I told him, nibbling on his earlobe.

"And you're growing up fast," he mused.

With a chuckle, I kissed his neck while letting my hands move down his chest, down to his well-chiselled stomach, and down still, until I was gently rubbing his manhood through the pants he still wore. "Not as fast as your friend down here."

"Good lord, Selene!" he said, laughing as he caught my hands and moved them away from his crotch. "Let me undress and rest on your bed, and then you can do whatever you want with me."

I moaned, kissing his shoulder before backing off a little so that he could remove his boots first. "I was sort of thinking that maybe you want to be the one doing whatever he wants tonight."

"That is an invitation, is it not?" he said, not even waiting for my confirmation as he stood up and began taking off his pants. "Very well, Miss Kier. Lie down on the bed and enjoy." I was about to move to do just as he asked, when he stopped me, saying, "How about taking off your nightdress first?"

I smiled at him and knelt on the bed. "How about you take off my nightgown? I am just going to enjoy the night, remember?"

Lucas laughed loudly as he finally stepped out of his clothes. "Whenever I promise you something, you make sure to abuse me, don't you?"

If only I was not horrified by how loudly he laughed, I would have laughed, too. "Why are you being so loud? Aren't you scared that they will hear you and wonder why on earth the sound of your laughter is coming from my room?"

He grinned as he joined me on the bed, kneeling just inches before me. His raging hard-on was pressed against my stomach. "Don't worry, baby. You can be as loud as you can, provided of course, that it is not as loud as an all-out scream. The walls of the rooms in this floor are thick enough to muffle the sounds."

"How did the girls hear me earlier, then?" I asked him.

"They were supposed to hear you," he answered, lifting the hem of my nightgown so that I was not kneeling on it. "That was something they are expected to do. Besides, they might have had their ears against the door, since they were supposed to always listen for anybody calling for them before they go downstairs."

I closed my eyes and leaned against him, putting my head on his shoulder, loving the slow caress of his palm on my skin as he gently lifted my nightgown. "How sure are you that nobody will hear us?"

"Very, very sure," he whispered against my ear. "Do you want to help me take your gown off, baby?"

He did not have to ask. The feel of the fabric against my skin was an unwelcome torture. Fire was running through my veins and all I wanted was to be held in Lucas' arm, to be kissed and touched and loved by him -- not to be irritated by some insignificant piece of clothing. My breaths were becoming heavy, rapid, as the desire to be his overcame my whole being.

As I lifted my arms to take off my gown, Lucas' hand on my back pulled me closer to him. He bent his head to suckle on one of my breasts, while his other hand gently squeezed the other one. I gasped for air, throwing my nightgown off to god-knows-where and grabbing Lucas' hair.

How I needed him! I wanted him to touch all of me, to taste all of me. I needed him to hold me close, to keep me by his side.

My breaths started to come in gasps as I felt his warm tongue teasing my nipple, teasing and licking until I helplessly gave way to the deep, guttural moan that loudly escaped my lips. So intoxicated was I by the need to have him close that I could almost not breathe. This man was my love, my life. His presence was the centre of my existence, the reason I was alive. I was his; he was mine.

"Baby, wait," I said in a voice ragged with desire, when I felt him slowly pushing me down on the bed. "Let me sit comfortably."

He might have forgotten that I was still kneeling, facing him. Lucas groaned, moving his mouth away from my breasts so that he could kiss my mouth instead. He placed his hands on the cheeks of my ass, kneading them under his palms. His tongue was seeking passage into my mouth -- something that I did not deny.

Without breaking our kiss, I was able to get out of my kneeling position to sit with my feet firmly planted on the bed, trapping him between my thighs. I wanted to lie down on the bed, unsure as I was if I could maintain that position as pleasure seeped through my every pore. But Lucas' strong arms were around me, holding me against him easily as his mouth ravaged mine.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 51 milliseconds