Down by the River Ch. 04

Face a little pink, I moved away from Lucas and smiled at Andrew. "Is it? I don't think so."

Andrew lifted an eyebrow as he smiled at me. He then looked at Lucas. "So? Why did you drag her in here? Not so that she can kiss you, is it?"

"No, of course not," Lucas answered, winking at me, "although that was a welcome bonus."

He walked to the built-in closet he had and opened the door. My mouth fell open when I saw that he had filled up the whole space with clothes. Distracted by the sight, I did not notice what Lucas took from the closet. When he closed it again and turned to us, he was holding some bills that he was offering to me.

"What are these for?" I asked, looking at the money he gave me.

"You," he answered, pinching my cheek lovingly. "I want you to buy whatever catches your fancy downtown."

I looked at him with a pout. "You know that I have never used money, don't you? I don't even know the value of these..."

Lucas smiled gently and moved closer so that he could place my face between his palms and kiss my forehead. "Andrew will be with you, and I'm sure he will be glad to tell you exactly what you need to know."

Andrew was watching us with amusement. He readily took the money when I gave it to him.

"I don't think she will spend this much, but..." He shrugged and smiled at his cousin. "I'll just give you back whatever remains of this."

Lucas smiled back and nodded to the door. "Well. How about heading to the library now so that Selene can start her letter? Besides, Uncle Matthew must be getting impatient waiting for me inside his study."

At that, Andrew and I headed for the door. As soon as Andrew turned his back on us, however, Lucas pulled me close to him and kissed me full on the mouth. I almost snaked my arms around his neck to deepen the kiss, if only Andrew did not clear his throat loudly and with emphasis.

Andrew led me to the library at the first floor of the house. When I was touring the house the day before, the only places where they did not show me were Uncle Matthew's private study and the library, so I had no idea what was beyond the huge oak doors that stood before us.

Once inside, I could not help but hold my breath. Immediately to the left of the door was a narrow spiral staircase that led to the second floor of that section of the library. Andrew explained that it was the only section of the library with an upper level.

To the right of the door was a cozy reading space with couches and armchairs with pillows of different shapes and sizes. This reading space was situated around a fireplace. Shelves of books lined the walls, although there was an arched doorway on the wall to the right, that led deeper into the other section of the library.

"This is where we read for leisure," Andrew told me, indicating the reading space with the cushions. He then gestured to the door that led to another section of the library. "That part of the library has the writing desks."

Indeed, there were two writing desks in there. I was amazed that the walls were still lined with shelves of books. Beside one writing desk was another door that led to the last division of the library. That last section had a long table surrounded by eight high back chairs. Andrew explained that it was where he was instructed when he was younger, and there was also where Lucas and Uncle Matthew went when they needed to work on something that could not be overlooked.

Andrew then led me back to the writing desk section, and gave me what I needed for writing a letter. It took me about half an hour to finish writing my correspondence, since I had so many things to tell Grandmother, one of which was that I needed some more supply of the roots that I used for tea so that I did not end up pregnant.

Once I was done writing, Andrew put it inside an envelope and sealed it before happily dragging me outside and back to the second floor, where he knocked on the door of Uncle Matthew's study, intending to get the permission that we knew his father would not deny.

*****

The drive to town from Uncle Matthew's house only took about half an hour. Andrew gave my letter to Wilson so that the man could mail it, and then proceeded on pointing out to me which places were which.

"That is Lady Miranda's eatery," he told me, pointing to a building beside an antique shop. "There is where we are going to eat later. Lady Miranda's customers are only those with power or money, or both. The food they serve there is excellent."

"I'm already dying to eat," I told him, giggling.

Andrew grinned as he led me towards the busy section of the town square. "It's not time for lunch yet. I say we go around first."

The enthusiasm with which he was touring me around was catching. We walked from stall to stall arm-in-arm, and three times, we were approached by people he knew, who all asked about me. Andrew proudly introduced me as his cousin, and invited them to attend the ball that Uncle Matthew was scheduled to throw the following week. None of them turned the invitation down.

"That is why I wondered if Lucas was a jealous man," Andrew said aloud when we were heading towards a tailor shop.

I frowned, not understanding. "What was that?"

He laughed, shaking his head. "Didn't you notice how men young and old look at you? They all look ready to kiss the ground you tread upon."

My face burned after hearing that. "Don't tease me so!"

"Well, take a look at them," Andrew said. "Some stare openly, others covertly, but their eyes still show blatant admiration."

I just urged him to walk faster towards the tailor shop, somewhat embarrassed that he should tease me like that. What made it so frustrating was that I knew he was right.

Inside the shop, I forgot about the embarrassment Andrew's comment caused. The plump lady who owned the shop was more than happy to show me around, pointing out gowns that I might like. There were four lady customers in the shop, but she handed them all to her assistants in order to personally show me her collection.

"Just buy anything you like," Andrew told me, eyeing the new customers who entered the shop. "Lucas gave me enough money to buy this entire store."

The shop-owner beamed upon hearing that. "I sure hope that you will find one or two of my gowns appealing. If not, I'd be glad to show you some of the other designs we have that we have not yet made into gowns, and if any should take your fancy, we'd gladly make it for you."

I smiled at her. "Thank you."

I did not think it would be necessary, but it would not be polite to say so. The gowns I was being shown were all very beautiful, and came with shoes and hats, too. Although I did not want to spend Lucas' money at all, I knew for certain that I would not be able to get out of that shop without buying anything.

I was so engrossed with looking at the gowns available that the owner left me to my own devices after a while, knowing that I would be buying at least one of her gowns before I left. She told me before leaving, however, that she would be available for me as soon as I needed help.

While examining a soft-pink gown that rather caught my fancy, the door of the shop opened, and in came two men who were arguing in harsh whispers. I would have ignored them right away if only they did not pass so close to me that I actually heard their voices.

"You always turn down his invitations but not again, young man," said one of the men to his companion. "It's time for you to mingle with society and stop obsessing over something that you will not tell me about, anyway."

"I will go where I want when I want it, Papa!" hissed the companion.

His voice abruptly stole my attention from the gown in front of me. My heart started pounding fast, recognizing that voice even after almost two years. I looked at the men, and knew before I even saw that one of them would be Marcus.

The men both had their backs to me, but I could tell Marcus anywhere, from whatever side I saw him. I knew him way too well for me not to.

For an instant, I wanted to bolt out of the shop, but I did not know how I would explain everything to Andrew if I did. So I stood there, hoping against the fates that he would not see me. His father was asking the shop owner for the gown that his sister Marian ordered a week ago.

I was about to sigh in relief when the owner gave the order to the men, for I knew that they would be leaving and I could just remain inconspicuous there by the door, when Andrew suddenly decided to walk back to that part of the shop and was spotted by Marcus' father.

"Andrew Riles," said the man. "What a surprise that we shall meet you here!"

Andrew's smile as he shook the man's hand told me that he knew exactly who these people were. A very bad feeling settled at the pit of my stomach.

"Mister Laoran," Andrew said eagerly. "A surprise indeed." He looked at Marcus and nodded. "Marcus." Looking back to the father, he asked, "What brought you here?"

"Orders from Marian," answered Marcus' father. "You know how she loves gowns. And you, my child?"

I braced myself for the inevitable, knowing as soon as Andrew answered that there would be no way that I could get out of here without being seen by Marcus.

"I'm touring my cousin around," Andrew said. "She just arrived yesterday and I thought it would be a good idea to show her the town."

I looked away and pretended to examine the gowns with trembling hands, trying to calm myself down.

"Indeed?" said Marcus' father. "I saw your father yesterday down at McAllister's, and he mentioned this cousin of yours, too. Will I be honoured to meet her here today, then?"

"You will be indeed," said Andrew.

I knew exactly when the three men looked at me, for I felt as though my back was being burned by their gazes. Andrew walked over to me and, speaking softly, told me that there were acquaintances of Uncle Matthew who wanted to be introduced to me.

With a sigh to calm my nerves, I turned to face Marcus and his father, even managing to flash a tiny smile and make a curtsy. One look at Marcus' face showed the shock and recognition that I myself felt just a few moments ago. I refused to stare at him, and instead met the eyes of his father, who was smiling at me all the while.

"Selene, this is Matthias Laoran and his son Marcus," Andrew introduced us. "Mister Laoran is one of Papa's closest friends. Gentlemen, this is Papa's niece, Selene Kier."

It was the older man who walked towards me first to kiss my hand. "I'm honoured to meet you, Miss Kier."

"Selene, please, Mister Laoran," I said, curtsying to him.

There was no escaping it this time. How many times did I imagine seeing Marcus again? With both dread and anticipation, I have always thought of such a moment, but nothing ever prepared me for this.

He took my hand and kissed it the way that his father did, murmuring, "Enchanted to meet you."

I hoped to god that Andrew did not notice the way Marcus' eyes were boring into me, or if he did, that he would interpret it as the same moon-eyed stares that other men who had seen me earlier had so graciously given. I knew for a fact that it was not the same, for how many times did I see that look in his eyes way back when we were still secretly meeting down by the river back home?

I felt so confused after that, not knowing what kinds of thoughts and feelings were warring inside me. I knew that I could not tell anybody about my former relationship with Marcus, but did I dare tell the only man who knew about it that I saw my former lover here? Perhaps, I would, but I hoped that I could tell Lucas exactly how the meeting affected me.

The rest that happened that day was a huge mess that I did not know how to sort out. Matthias and Marcus both ate lunch with Andrew and me at Lady Miranda's, paying for the meal as a courtesy to me. When they learned that Andrew wanted to tour me around, they decided to tag along -- of course, after asking for Andrew's permission, which my young cousin gladly gave, for he was close to Matthias, I learned, and he enjoyed talking to the older man very much.

Which left me to talk to Marcus. It was very awkward. He asked me about how I was liking the town so far, which shops Andrew already took me to, how long I was planning to stay with my uncle -- and all other questions that a new acquaintance might ask, but which I wished he never asked.

All throughout our conversation, I tried not to look directly into Marcus' eyes. The one time I made the mistake of looking, his eyes almost crushed me with all the emotions that they held. Surprise, joy, yearning, love.

Love! Why should he have to still love me? It would be easier for me to renew my acquaintance with him if only I could not see the love that he still felt, but fate was cruel even to those who prayed.

"I sincerely hope that you will attend the ball that Papa is throwing next week," Andrew told the two gentlemen when Wilson -- finally! -- arrived at the square, ready to take us home.

"Not me, for I will be going home in two days, but I am quite hoping that Marcus will, for I asked him to stay with Marian for the time being," answered Matthias. He then turned to his son. "Marcus?"

I prayed that he would say no, but I was aware that it would be an unanswered prayer even before Marcus opened his mouth to speak.

"I will be there."

The smile that touched Matthias' lips was just all too knowing. No fool would make a mistake of not knowing the obvious reason why Marcus agreed to come to the ball next week. As my face burned, I was glad that the coach was only two steps away and it would not be long before I was once again away from Marcus.

When at last we were travelling back to the estate, Andrew made a comment about me not looking well.

"I'm just tired," I lied to him.

He looked at me intently, perhaps knowing that I lied, before shrugging. "I don't know. You seem to be out of it." He gestured to the boxes that sat with us inside the coach. "Are you not happy that you bought those gowns and shoes and stuff?"

I tried to smile at him. "Of course, I am. I just really feel drained."

Andrew sighed and shrugged again. "Very well, if you say so." And then, being the child that he was, he added, "Way to steal hearts, Selene. I knew that you would be quite admired, but I never expected you to capture the fancy of Matthias Laoran's son. I mean, Marcus does not usually show interest in women..."

"How can you say that?" I asked, turning my face away so that he would not laugh at the blush that made its way up my head. "He was just being friendly."

"You don't know him, but I do," Andrew said knowingly. "He does not even commit to coming to balls these past two years. But he did earlier because you will be there. Besides..." He paused. "Selene..."

I looked at him. He was handing me a rectangular box. "What is this?"

Andrew laughed. "I told you. You quite captured his fancy." He pressed the box onto my hand. "He bought that from the jewellery shop we went into. Marcus asked me to give it to you when we're already going home."

Blood drained from my face. How would I tell Lucas about this? "Why did you accept it?"

"Because, Miss Kier, I would have offended him if I did not," Andrew explained. "You do not refuse gifts from people who are friends with you, or want to be friends with you."

"But you know that he is not merely being friendly!" I said, still staring at the box.

"Of course he is not," Andrew agreed. "His intentions are all too apparent. However, that is not enough reason for you to refuse his gifts, because nobody knows that you are already in a relationship with my cousin."

I looked at him, still pale. "It was a bad idea that we never told your parents, was it not?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. It depends on how you look at it. But, you should not feel this nervous, Selene. Lucas and jealousy do not come together."

I wanted to tell him that Marcus was the one person who could make Lucas jealous, but I could not. Whatever happened between Marcus and me was not something I could share to just anybody.

Due to Andrew's prompting, I opened the box, and found a beautiful white-gold bracelet inside. I remembered seeing it inside the jewellery shop -- remembered studying its details with much interest, for I was indeed very captivated by that bracelet.

"I cannot accept this," I murmured, looking at Andrew.

"Too bad," Andrew said, shrugging. "If you give it back, the Laorans would take offence, and I'm telling you that Papa would not like that."

*****

I only saw Lucas again when the family sat down to dinner. Up until then, he was busily helping Uncle Matthew in the affairs of the estate.

Since the very second Andrew handed me the bracelet that was Marcus' gift, I had been debating whether or not to tell Lucas about it. A part of me wanted to because I owed him the truth, but I had been friends with Lucas long enough to know that I would hurt him if I told him about the meeting with Marcus, and most especially about that gift. Of course, I was also aware that keeping it from him would not actually spare him the pain. In fact, he would get hurt even more.

Not knowing what else to do, I decided that I would look for the best timing to tell him about it. He promised to stay with me every night, anyway, so I would be able to judge his moods and decide when it was the best time to tell him.

As I watched him that night during dinner, I knew that I would ask for trouble if I told him about Marcus. The faint frown on his face was an indication of stress. More than anything, I would like to help lessen the stress he felt, not increase it. It would not be a great time to talk about Marcus, but that night would be a great time to show him just how much I loved him.

He knocked on my door a few minutes after the two girls who were serving me finally went downstairs. Eagerly, I opened it, and received a quick kiss in return. Afraid that somebody would see the two of us, I pulled him into the room and locked the door quickly.

"How was your day?" I asked, knowing even then that it was not the best.

"Could have been better," he answered, reaching for me and holding me close. "I had been praying all day long for the day to be over so that I can hold you like this. How about you? How was your day?"

With a smile, I slightly pulled away from him and placed his face between my palms. "It would have been better if you were with me."

And I was not lying. It would have been better if Lucas had been there when I saw Marcus. That way, I would be spared the trouble of trying to find out when the best time to talk about it would be.

Lucas groaned and kissed my wrists as he pulled my hands away from his face and led them down, so that I would wrap my arms around his waist. "I planned to bring you to town myself as soon as I could, but I was not expecting the workload that Uncle Matthew assigned to me. And then Andrew asked if he could tour you around, and it would not have been nice of me if I refused to give him permission."

"Don't worry about it," I murmured, pulling him to the bed. "You look tired, Lucas. Need a massage?"

He chuckled at that, but still followed me. "Do you even know how to give a massage, baby?"

"I can try," I answered. "You can teach me what to do."

With a grin, he sat on the edge of the bed and took off his robe. Unlike the night before, he was already dressed to sleep when he knocked on my door. He did not have to climb the walls to join me, anyway, so he could afford the luxury of the robe and pyjama pants tonight.

I walked to the drawer he pointed to and took a bottle of scented oil. I then brought it to Lucas, who asked me to sit on the edge of the bed.

"I'll show you what to do first and then you can do it to me later," he said, squeezing some oil onto his palms and kneeling behind me on the bed. "But, first, sweetheart, take off your nightgown, will you?"

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 22 milliseconds