Monsters in the Mountains Ch. 02

"I'm sorry. We should probably get back. Megan should be at the hospital with Jane soon, and I'm sure she will be calling us to talk as soon as she knows Jane's condition. I'm sure the other Bigfoot ladies will be missing you, and I'm probably not making friends by capitalizing on your time. Let me take a fast shower, and let's get back." Kaitlin said.

Jordan offered to join her, but she playfully pushed him away. "If you join me, a fast shower is going to turn into an hour of after-play. Go back to your room and grab a change of clothes." Jordan got dressed, and watched Kaitlin's perfect young body as she stepped into the shower, letting the water soak through her beautiful red locks.

"GO! Get yourself ready!" She chastised him. He turned, and started to go, and Kaitlin called him back. "Jordan, don't shave. I kind of like the stubble look on you. I'd like to see more of it, and the Bigfoot might like a beard on you too."

Jordan was showered and dressed 10 minutes later. He walked back into Kaitlin's apartment, and found her picking out clothes, wearing only black panties. She put on a black bra as he watched, twisting it around to fasten the hooks, before pulling it into place over her generous breasts.

"If you have time to watch, you have time to help." She told Jordan with a smile. "There's shirts and shorts on the bed. Pick me out an outfit, would you?" Kaitlin disappeared into the bathroom, and Jordan could hear a hairdryer running.

10 minutes later, Kaitlin was dressed and ready to return. Jordan had to fill up his gas tank, and they were finally on their way back home.

***

Inside the cave, they need not have rushed back. Ginger was awake, but didn't rise as the two human's entered. Little Pebbles was chasing a cave cricket around, but she was quiet, and didn't disturb any sleepers.

Jordan found Enoch Brown's satchel where he had left it, and picked it up, carrying it out into the afternoon sunlight outside.

"What's that?" Kaitlin asked.

"My great-great grandfather claimed this land and mined here. The first skeleton in the mausoleum was his partner, named Enoch Brown. He was killed by the Bigfoot living here at the time, but only after my great-great grandfather had killed one of them.

"When I was paying my respects to the old miner this morning, I found this satchel on his body." Jordan held it up, and opened the bag.

"Cool! What's inside?" Kaitlin's green eyes sparkled in excitement.

"A journal." Jordan said.

"Aww, I was hoping for lost treasure!" Kaitlin fake pouted.

Jordan gently pulled out the old handkerchief of gold ingots, and handed them to her. "Here's your treasure." He laughed.

"Holy shit!" Kaitlin yelled when she opened the fabric and saw gold. "Is this real?"

"Yeah, I think so. I think that was Enoch's share of what they found in the mines just before he died.

"Seriously? How much is this worth?" She said, holding up one rectangular ingot.

"Those should weigh about an ounce each, and there are 20 of them. I think they should be worth about $1000 each, maybe a little more." Jordan said, easing the journal out of the satchel.

"I'm holding twenty grand in my hands right now?" Kaitlin exclaimed. "How are you not dancing the celebration dance of the wily old miner right now?"

"How does that one go?" Jordan joked.

Kaitlin set the handkerchief down and rose to her feet, and started pumping her fists, like she was pumping a bicycle tire, and kicking her feet out to the side, laughing. Jordan was mesmerized by her big tits bouncing in her tight t-shirt.

"Stop it! Eyes up here, perv, and dance the dance of your people with me." She laughed. Jordan tried joining her, but couldn't stop laughing long enough to get it right.

They collapsed on the big rock, laughing, and Kaitlin crawled into his lap, hugging Jordan tightly.

"Okay, mister, what's so special about this ratty old book that twenty grand worth of gold bullion doesn't interest you?" She joked, picking it up and handing it to him.

"There's letters from some woman in here, maybe a wife? They're in beautiful cursive script, but I can't seem to read the damn things." He answered.

"Hand em over, let me see." Kaitlin held her hand out. Jordan pulled out one slip of stationary and handed it to her. "'My... dearest... Enoch...' Damn her spelling is atrocious. I see what you mean, lovely, but illegible. Let's see... 'The... child... stirs... daily... now... and who..." no, wait. "how I... wish... that... you... were... with... me...' Jeeze, I think I need a pen and paper to write this down. What was that about a child? Did he have kids? I thought he willed the land to your great-whatever- grandfather?"

"I've never heard that he was even married, let alone had kids. I wonder why the wife and kid didn't get the land." Jordan said, opening the journal, and setting the letters gently back in the satchel. Kaitlin ran into the cave, and came back with a pen and paper.

"Okay, so her name was Eunice? I think..." Caitlin announced. "God, no offense to this woman, but that's a name that should stay in the past."

Jordan thumbed backwards to the first page, hoping for an introduction. He found it three pages in, as though the man meant to go back and fill in the previous three pages with backstory, but never did.

'Herein are written the memories of Enoch Aldous Brown

of Gothers in Cornwall England, upon my venture to the new

world of America. I am 25 years of age upon writing this, and

am accompanied by my good friend and partner, one Silas

White. He has proven a reliable friend and capable miner

From our childhood together in the mines of Gothers, and will

partner in this venture.

This is the document of my rise to wealth. Many a soul have gone

before us, and told of great providence in the gold mines of America.

We hope to travel to gold coast of California by rail, and will find our

claims upon arrival."

Jordan read page by page. Sometimes Enoch had written daily, and sometimes he didn't write for months at a time. The two men worked for a time in Philadelphia as day laborers, before earning enough for train tickets to Saint Louis.

They spent the fall and winter of 1888-1889 in Saint Louis, as farm hands, where Enoch told of meeting Eunice Carpenter.

He wrote eloquently of her that:

'Never has a woman moved with such elegance and

grace. Her hair is like burnished gold, as only an angel

should possess. She has agreed to my pleas for courtship

and I am most grateful for the chance. Silas had plans for

the same, but his tongue was tied when mine was free.'

Jordan read on. They were married on December 15, 1888 at her parent's church in St. Louis. She accompanied her husband and his partner west to Denver. Tales of riches in the Colorado Mountains derailed the men's plans to continue on to California, and in June, Silas and Enoch spent their life savings, and Eunice's dowry on a mining claim in the mountains east of Gunnison, Colorado.

Between 1889 and 1892, there were sporadic entries. Jordan stopped and read one joyous entry about the joy of Eunice announcing his impending fatherhood, and the, heartbreaking entry a few weeks later as the distraught man announced a miscarriage. He kept searching until Jordan found what he was looking for.

'May 22, 1893.

Since our return to the mines from our winter sojourn,

Silas and myself have often been startled from our tunnels

by growls in the darkness. Brown eyes glow in candlelight,

and with shame I admit that I am afraid.

Silas believes that they are bear, and has purchased a rifle

to exterminate the infestation. I believe that the faces I see

are those of demons, come from the bowels of hell to test

the sinful. With shame I admit to being among them, and do

not wish to face my judgement.

Eunice is again with child, and I have sent her to live with her brother

in the town of Denver. The rigors of mountain living has not

agreed with her gentle nature, and though I miss her sweet

touch, I know that we will be together once our fortunes are made.'

Jordan thumbed to the next entry:

'June 3, 1893.

When once we thought the animals gone, we found they had

simply moved to our other mine. They hide like thieves during

the day, and make such a racket at night to wake the dead.

Supplies are missing and moved in the morning, and I have

taken to sleeping with a rifle in fear of my life if the door should

fail. My one small comfort is that Eunice is not here to share in

my nightly terror.

Silas and I discovered a rich vein in the large mine, and have

chased it upwards. Fully exploited, we shall retire within the

year, and I can clothe my growing family in the comforts they

so richly deserve.'

Jordan looked at the next page.

'June 5, 1893.

Silas has shot and killed one of the demons that infested the

mines. It was furry like a bear, but with arms and feet like a

great man. It stood over eight feet tall, and built as to make

a miner jealous. It is with wonder that I imagine how the

creature fit into the mine.'

'June 7, 1893.

The creature of White-Brown mines has made Silas and myself

something of celebrities. A photographer came from town

to capture our likenesses with the creature and the mine

where it was hunted. Silas paid ten cents for a print of

each, though I saved my money.

We still hear them at night, they assault our cabins nightly,

and I am afraid for my life. Eunice's letters are my one solace

in these dark times. Silas and I have agreed to cease mining

once we have finished our work for the summer. My share

of the gold is sufficient to buy a comfortable home, and start

a respectable business in Denver. My heart leaps at the

thought of joining Eunice and my child.'

'June 13, 1893.

Eunice can feel the child stir within her. Silas has taken his

gold and returned to Denver. I have asked him to look after

the health and safety of my wife. The vein of gold has not

yet ended, and with each stroke of my pick, and each stone

that falls, I see a better future for my family. I have decided

to stay, barricaded within my home at night. I have taken

to sleeping in the cellar, fearing for my safety should the

demons break through. They attack only at night, and I feel

perfectly at ease during the day, so long as my door is closed

upon the setting of the sun.'

Jordan turned the page and saw the last entry.

'June 20, 1893.

The creatures have begun to appear during the day.

Silas has left me his rifle, and I shot one, though it did

not die. I will enter the mine as Silas did, and exterminate

the pests.

Eunice has written to me again. She tells me that she feels

as big as an elephant, and desires to see me as soon as I

am able to visit. She will name the child after my father if

it is a boy, or her mother if it is a girl. I believe I will be with

them again within a week's time.'

Jordan closed the journal. He was surprised that the Bigfoot had moved into an active mine, and didn't leave with humans living so close by. He could see the terror in how Enoch had written of the Bigfoot, and how deeply he had loved his wife and unborn child.

"Kaitlin, how's that letter coming along." Jordan asked her.

"Oh, I'm done, you just looked so hot concentrating. Do you want to hear it?" Kaitlin asked.

"Yes, please."

"Okay,

'My dearest Enoch,

The child stirs daily now, and how I wish you were with me. Silas has arrived at my brother's house, and has shared his fortunes with me. We will pay him back when you arrive. He has hired the best doctor in all of Colorado to be on call when the quickening arrives.

If you have not returned by the time I deliver, I shall have to name the child without you. I have decided to name the child Charles after your father if it is a boy, and Margaret, after my mother if it is a girl.

Please hurry back to me. If Silas truly has half of the fortune, then we shall live in comfort without need for aught. He has been a dear friend in your absence, and I have learned much about your childhood through him.

Eternally yours,

Eunice.'

I'm still confused, though, why didn't Eunice Brown at least get the land, even if she wasn't a miner?"

"I don't know. Maybe there's a death record of her?" Jordan guessed, slipping inside the cave for his backpack. He came back with the surface tablet, and connected it to data over the cell tower.

He found a genealogy website, and gave his credit card information. He typed in the name Eunice Carpenter, then in the additional names, he typed in Brown.

There was a picture of her, beautiful, with long blonde hair. "Eunice White, nee Carpenter." Jordan read aloud. "That can't be right."

Kaitlin put the letter she was working on in his satchel, and slid up next to him. "Yeah, that's the right woman, look, married Enoch Aldous Brown December 15, 1888, widowed July 3, 1893. Remarried to Silas White, August 12, 1893. Only one child, a son John, born October 31, 1893. Whoah.

"Click on the son John, maybe he died young?" She suggested.

Jordan clicked, and up came a black and white picture of a handsome man. "John Enoch White, 1893-1966." Jordan said. "Shit, John White? My great-great grandfather married Enoch's widow, and raised his son as his own. My great grandfather, John White?"

"Oh my god!" Kaitlin said. "Does that mean..."

"Yeah, Enoch Brown was my actual great-great grandfather. He did give the land to his son, held in trust by the boy's legal father, Silas White." Jordan's mind was swimming.

"So that was your actual great-great grandfather buried in that mine?" Kaitlin asked.

"I think so. I am the great-great grandson of Enoch and Eunice Brown." Jordan said slowly. He sat quietly for a moment, absorbing the shock.

"It's kind of symbolic, don't you think?" Kaitlin said.

"What is?"

"That your grandfather is entombed with the ancestors of your Bigfoot family? It kind of makes it a complete family burial chamber, with something from both families. I think it's great that you had the chance to pay your respects to him, even if you didn't know that's who he was at the time." Kaitlin explained.

"I hadn't thought of that." Jordan said. "I'll be right back." Jordan said

He rose and walked into the mine, turning on his flashlight. He walked back, past the sleepers and deep into the tunnel. At the split, he went up to the higher tunnel.

Jordan found where Enoch had been working, a spot where rock was removed going upwards. He shone his flashlight beam in the depression and saw a pickaxe, stuck in the rock where his great-great grandfather, Enoch, had left it.

Jordan reached up, and pulled on the handle. The pick came free in a crumble of small stones. Jordan shone his flashlight again and saw gold scattered across the floor.

The largest gold nugget was the size of a walnut, with some stone impurities imbedded. He picked the piece up and walked back outside to where Kaitlin sat translating a letter.

"Well, if our mine inspector jobs don't work out, we could have a future as miners." He told her, tossing the nugget.

Kaitlin stared at the glinting gold in her hands. "This can't be real, is it?" Kaitlin asked.

"That's gold. Grandpa Enoch died before he finished exploiting the vein he found."

"Seriously? How much deeper does it go?" Kaitlin asked, gently touching the metal in her hand.

"Maybe inches, maybe feet. That's probably about a grand worth of gold you're holding. There's another grand scattered on the floor in there." Jordan smiled at her open-mouthed stare.

"Can we do the happy miner dance again?" Kaitlin asked, choking up a little. Jordan started kicking his feet, pumping his arms the way Kaitlin had. She burst out laughing, tears streaming down her face.

Kaitlin jumped up and threw her arms around him, hugging him close.

"For the record, I fell in love with you before I knew you were filthy rich." She laughed out between sobs.

"I know. Thanks. I fell in love with you before you knew too." They both laughed and hugged, and Kaitlin cried.

"Maybe this is a dumb question, but would $20,000 worth of gold have made Enoch rich? I mean, Silas was sharing his 'fortune' with Eunice. $20,000 today isn't enough to get you above the poverty line if that's all your income." Kaitlin wondered.

"I'm not sure. I don't know what gold prices were back in the 1890s, but I can't imagine they were too different from today, adjusted for inflation." Jordan answered.

"But if you just went in there and dropped $2000 worth of gold from his gold vein, shouldn't he have more than $20,000 stashed?" Kaitlin wondered.

"He just had 20 ounces on him at the time of death." Jordan answered. "You're probably right, though. That shouldn't have been all of his fortune. He must have had more."

"What do you think happened to Enoch's gold? He obviously never got back to spend it or give it to his family." Kaitlin pushed.

"Who knows? Someone had to come up here and look for him. Someone declared him dead. They never found the body, obviously. Maybe they helped themselves to his fortune?" Jordan guessed.

"Yeah, maybe. Maybe grandpa Enoch's fortune is still up here somewhere." Kaitlin said.

"I'll buy you a metal detector the next time we're in town. You can walk all over searching for it, but I say it's probably gone." Jordan said.

"I'm going to take you up on that. I'm going to find your buried treasure, and you're going to share it with me." Kaitlin laughed.

"And in the meantime, I'm going to mine that gold vein, and get the gold that's actually here on the land." Jordan replied. Kaitlin replied by sticking out her tongue.

Just then Jordan's phone started ringing.

"Oh thank god, that should be Megan with her update on Jane's condition." Jordan looked at his phone and saw that it was his mother again.

"Crap, I forgot to call my mom back. What am I going to tell her? I can't tell her about any of this can I? I just found out about my real great-great grandfather and saw his bones, but I can't tell her about any of that." Jordan said.

"I think it would be a bad idea. Just do what I do and only tell your parents what they want to hear. Knowing about your ancestry isn't going to change their day-to-day life." Kaitlin answered.

The call had timed out, and Jordan called back.

"Hi Jordan, that must have been the world's longest important phone call." Jordan's mother teased him.

"Hi mom, sorry I just got so busy I forgot to call you back. What's up?"

"Your father and I have been talking about you quitting your job and moving to the mountains. At first we thought it was just history repeating itself.

"You're not your uncle Ira, we are proud of you going back for your degree. If you need some money, we can loan you some." She said.

"Thanks mom, I was actually saving up for a while now, and I've got some scholarships to help with school. I should be fine." Jordan answered.

"Okay. We do love and support you, we're just worried about you getting too obsessed with that land and throwing your life away on it.

"Actually, maybe going back to school will be a good thing for you. If you are not working so many hours, maybe you could meet a nice college girl and settle down." His mom said.

Kaitlin was sitting close enough to hear that comment, and her eyes lit up. 'Pick me!' she mouthed, pointing at herself wildly.

"Thanks mom. I'll keep my eyes open." Jordan replied.

Kaitlin lifted the hem of her shirt, flashing those perfect tits in their black silk bra. She gestured for Jordan to look. 'Eyes open!' Kaitlin mouthed.

They both stifled laughs, as Jordan's mother updated him on her social groups, and what his old high school classmates were doing. He just rolled his eyes.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 20 milliseconds