Monsters in the Mountains Ch. 03

Kaitlin Jumped as Megan's hand touched her shoulder. The young redhead grinned at the older blonde, and offered the wet organ to her. Megan wrapped her lips around Jordan's head, and sucked. Jordan twitched through an aftershock, and Megan must have gotten a taste, because she moaned as she licked Jordan clean.

"Mmm. That was just the perfect desert to finish lunch. Thank you, both of you." Megan smiled. "Please forgive my intrusion, but Dr. Stein emailed me a list of horse brokers and ranchers. I think we'll have good luck at one of these ranches."

Jordan lifted his pants, and tried speaking, having to clear his throat before he could form words. "Sounds good. Should we make an appointment?"

"I already called while you two were over here having fun without me." Megan grinned. "The owner will be there for the next 4 hours, and asked us to stop by today if we want to speak with him. He is leaving for a horse show tomorrow, and his wife can help us, but doesn't know the horses like he does."

Kaitlin swallowed hard and smiled. "Sounds good. When can we leave?"

***

Jason Kabat and his wife Carol met the three at their ranch 30 minutes west of Gunnison. Kaitlin was instantly at home among the stables and corrals of horses. Jordan and Megan could tell that she clearly knew more about horses than both of them and the internet put together, so they let Kaitlin take the lead.

She instantly started asking about a chestnut mare that caught her eye.

"You have good taste in horses. 15 hands, and honest. She's not a horse for beginners, but one of the smartest and most capable I have." Jason said.

Kaitlin was instantly smitten. "What's her name?" She asked, approaching carefully. The horse noticed Megan, and came forward to greet her over the fence. Megan placed one hand on her forehead, and the mare seemed to soak in the attention.

"Dixie. She's 6 years old. You certainly seem to know your horses." Jason told her admiringly.

"I've been riding since before I could walk." Kaitlin laughed. "I had my own gelding at my parents' ranch, but I had to leave him behind to go to school. We're looking for 2 or 3 horses, at least one that can handle a beginner."

At that, Jason seemed to remember Megan and Jordan. "Do you two have much experience riding?" He asked.

"A little." Megan said.

"I rode once, at the YMCA camp in Estes Park back in High school." Jordan admitted.

Jason struggled not to roll his eyes at Jordan. "Greenhorn." He muttered under his breath, eyeing the sling holding Jordan's left arm. He turned his smile back on Kaitlin.

"Careful, he's the paying for them." Kaitlin laughed at Jason. "Let's humor the rookie, okay? I'll show him the ropes."

Kaitlin walked away from Dixie, who followed along the fence at a slow trot. She approached a black Morgan mare in the next corral, who calmly watched Kaitlin's approach. She looks well mannered, 16 hands? What's her name?" Kaitlin asked.

"Good eye. That's Rose." Jason answered. "I wouldn't recommend her, though. She's a package deal with Brutus." Jason pointed at a silver stallion, who was approaching as Kaitlin greeted Rose. "He's not... finished. You might want to keep your distance, some horses just aren't..." Jason stopped as Jordan faced the approaching horse, reaching his hand out and touching the big stallion.

"I'll be goddamned." Jason muttered under his breath. "Boy you got more courage than sense. Most greenhorns I tell a horse is dangerous, they go running the other way. Ain't no one's ever gotten Brutus to face forward." Jason looked at Jordan with newfound respect.

"Yeah, Jordan has more balls than sense when it comes to dangerous animals." Megan laughed.

Jordan was captivated by the giant silver stallion. He was unbroken, but there was a strength and intelligence in the horse's eyes that Jordan could sense. Jordan rested his hand on the big male's forehead, like Kaitlin had done with Dixie and Rose, and Brutus lowered his head.

"Are you sure this horse is... what did you call him... unfinished?" Jordan asked.

"I wouldn't recommend that horse to a seasoned rider, but he seems to have taken a shine to you... Jordan, was it?"

Jordan nodded.

Jason just shook his head. "Well, let's get some tack on the one's you like, and see if Brutus still likes you once you try riding him. I bet dollars to donuts you leave with your other arm in a sling if you do try him, though."

"I didn't bring donuts, but I'll take that bet." Jordan laughed.

Thirty minutes later, Kaitlin had saddled Dixie, and was riding her, getting used to her footwork, and testing commands. The two were already starting to move as one. Megan was climbing onto Rose, petting the big black mare as she gave her first command to 'walk.'

Jordan tested the reins on Brutus, then put one foot in a stirrup and climbed into the saddle. Jordan leaned forward, and rested a hand on the big Stallion's head.

"Alright boy, let's try a nice walk." Jordan said. Brutus started walking. Jordan looked around. Kaitlin had stopped Dixie, and was smiling at him. Jason was staring open-mouthed.

"Most new horse riders think you start with 'Gee' and 'Haw' for commands." Kaitlin commented. "I don't know if you knew to tell Brutus to 'walk' or if you just got lucky, but either way he listened to you on your first command." She pulled Dixie up alongside Jordan and Brutus as they passed.

"Pure dumb luck." Jordan admitted. "What other commands should I know?" He asked.

"Speaking plain English is the best policy. 'Whoa' means stop. Don't ever say 'slow' when you're trying to slow him down, since it sounds too close to 'Whoa.' 'Easy' means slow down, and they should learn 'gallop' means to run. Oh, and 'trot' means trot. Just use the reigns to steer."

Jordan tried the commands out, and Brutus obeyed him perfectly. He rode the big silver up to the fence where Jason sat watching in amazement. "Whoa!" He commanded, and the big horse stopped. "I like Brutus just fine, what did you say was wrong with him?"

"Besides myself, I've had three trainers try to break him, and he's never behaved for a one of us. I have no idea who you are, but I'm having trouble believing you don't ride horses. Brutus sure seems to respect you, though. Either you lied about your experience level, or that horse thinks the world of you." Jason said in amazement.

Megan came riding up on Rose, who nodded her head towards Brutus. "He's got good taste." Megan said. Jordan just smiled at her.

"If you had so much trouble breaking him, why isn't he a gelding?" Jordan asked as Kaitlin and Megan rode off together.

"I've had two of those three trainers claim that Brutus would never amount to nothin'. Too stubborn, too stupid. Some horses you keep to ride, some you keep to sell, some to show, and some horses you keep out of love of the species.

"I may not be able to ride Brutus, but he's happy here. Making him a gelding wouldn't have made him any smarter or less stubborn. It only fixes aggression and breeding impulses, and aggression was never his problem. He loves Rose, and gets along well with the other horses, so as long as no one's in heat, I give him run of 50 acres, and let him be.

"I do need to get a picture of you riding him, maybe a video would be better. Ain't no one's going to believe me otherwise." Jason took out a cell phone, and pointed it at Jordan on Brutus's back. Jordan led Brutus off at a trot, and took him around the pasture once again, and back.

"Honesty is a big selling point in a horse, and Brutus is the biggest liar I've ever met. That horse is smart. As for selling you a horse, you don't want him." Jason raised a hand as Jordan started to protest.

"A good horse should be one that you can hand off to another rider, trust with a child. That horse may be putting on a show for you, but the fact remains that he's an unbroken stallion, who no one but you can ride." Jason explained.

"There will only be three of us up at my land. If Kaitlin has Dixie, and Megan has Rose..." Jordan looked around to find Megan happily putting Rose through her paces with Kaitlin watching from Dixie's back. "...It shouldn't matter whether or not anyone else can ride him. I like Brutus."

"At least let me try you out on another horse." Jason pleaded.

Three more horses were saddled. A gelding named Titus was patient and obedient, and a big palomino mare named Sagebrush seemed smart and capable. The third mare, an Appaloosa named Frost had great manners, and was very easy to ride, but none of them felt as right under Jordan as Brutus had. Jordan felt like a beginner on all three, where Brutus seemed to become an extension of Jordan's body.

"These are great horses, they just don't... move the way Brutus does." Jordan admitted as Megan and Kaitlin rode up beside him.

Jason laughed. "You, son, have just fallen in love with a horse. I'd make fun if it hadn't happened to me a couple hundred times in my life already.

"Brutus is a fine horse. I can sell him to 'ya on a few conditions. He and Rose are a herd. They've bonded. If you ever need to sell one horse, you have to promise to keep them together. Second, Brutus ain't a family horse. He's in for a hard life if you sell him to the wrong people. I may be hard on him, but I ain't never hurt him. If you ever need to get rid of Brutus, you've got to promise to sell him back to me. I'll see he's well taken care of the rest of his life." Jason negotiated.

"Sounds fair. Do you want to draw up a contract, or..."

Jason made a scoffing sound. "There ain't a contract written that will stand up in a court of law once you pay for that horse. Round here, we shake on a deal, and we don't go back on our word. If you can look me in the eye, shake my hand and promise Brutus won't wind up in the wrong hands, I'll sell you Rose, and throw Brutus in for free."

Jordan extended his right hand off the back of Frost, who he was still riding, and shook Jason's hand. "Alright then, I guess we have a deal. Will the lady be wanting Dixie as well?"

Jordan looked to Kaitlin, who hadn't dismounted from Dixie the whole time. There was a pleading excitement in her beautiful green eyes, and she couldn't hide her smile.

"Yes sir, we'll take all three." Jordan said, smiling at Kaitlin.

"Alright, let's get the saddles off, and we can work out payment and paperwork up at the office." Jason said. "Will you be needing any tack?" He asked.

Jordan and Megan looked to Kaitlin who answered for the group. "Yes sir, we're starting from scratch. We'll need it all. If you don't have enough to sell..."

"Nonsense. Don't go buying those mass-produced saddles from China. I have all the gear you'll need, and I'll give you a better deal on better quality products than those ranch stores." Jason laughed.

Jason led the trio into a wood barn, and through a door. The air was thick with the scent of leather, and gear was spread out on tables, hanging from the walls and ceiling, and piled up.

"This is my tack room. I've always got my eye out for quality gear to resell. What will 'ya be needing?" Jason asked.

"Everything." Kaitlin admitted. "Saddles, bridles, bits, hobbles, blankets, saddlebags..." She was counting them off on her fingers.

Jason started picking out saddles first, throwing them in a wheelbarrow nearby. He quickly found three of everything that would fit the three horses being purchased. Kaitlin marveled at the craftsmanship on the saddles, and Jason smiled at her obvious familiarity.

Jordan thought of the massive trees he wanted to haul, and wanted to make sure that the horses had gear for pulling. "What about a... yolk? You know, for pulling?"

Kaitlin laughed at him. "Sure, if we were having oxen pull us down the Oregon Trail, we might want some yolks." Jordan blushed as Jason laughed. That was where he had gotten the idea. "Sorry babe, we will need three harnesses." She repeated the order to Jason, who found the requested gear, still laughing at Jordan.

"Alright, let's go settle this up." Jason said, leading them from the tack room to a log building with a sign over the door that said 'Office.'

On the way, Jason gave a little history of his horse ranch. "I'm actually the fifth generation raising horses on this land." He said. "My great-great-great granddad claimed this valley as a mining claim back in the 1860s, but fell in love with the horses he was raisin' instead. He made a business of breeding and selling horses, mules and asses to the miners in the area when it started growing in the 1870s.

"Of course, back then, having a horse ranch was like having a car dealership. Every miner needed a pack animal and horses for transportation, so it was a good business back then. Nowadays, it's love of horses that keeps me and Carol in the horse business.

"I'm hoping my oldest son will wind up taking over as the sixth generation of horse breeders and trainers on this land, but it's taking him too long to finish college. I wouldn't begrudge him if he decided on a career with a better future. My daughter will be graduating high school soon, and maybe it's in her blood instead."

Jordan thought of the ranch's past. "You don't have any of the records from back then, do you?" He asked.

Jason pointed at a bookcase built into one long wall as they entered. "There's a record of every horse bought and sold on this land for the last 150 years." He said, sitting down to his laptop.

"Would there be any records of who they sold to? Names?" Jordan asked. Jason nodded. "Would you mind if I checked the records from 1889 to 1893 for the names Silas White and Enoch Brown?"

"Some family of yours?" Jason asked.

"Something like that." Jordan answered. Jason looked skeptically at him, and rose to scan the bookshelf. He found two ledger books of yellowed paper, and took them over to his desk.

"Good time to be in business." Jason commented, scanning the pages. "I don't move as many horses in a year as they sold in a week... Ah, May 21st 1889, bought 2 geldings and a mule from Silas White."

Jordan came to stand over Jason's shoulder to read the entry. Silas had sold the animals for $500, a lot of money at the time. He remembered Enoch's journal mentioning selling all their possessions to buy the mining claims in June of 1889.

"You said the other was in 1893?" Jason asked. He took out the other book, and flipped through the ledger. "Oh wow. Silas White bought a team of mules for 20 ounces of gold. 12 of them along with a 15 hand gelding. Your family still have that fortune?" Jason asked with a smile.

"What fortune?" Jordan asked innocently.

"Well, the only people who paid in gold back then were miners. They bought these mules to move their gold back to the city. Before there were banks up here, and before the trains were a safe way of transporting gold. A mule can carry about 200 pounds on its back. At today's gold prices you're looking at..." Jason pulled out his calculator and punched in some numbers. "... About $40 million in gold, for 2400 pounds. Maybe less, since some mules would need to carry food and supplies, but still a fortune."

Jordan stood staring with an open mouth. Jason just flipped through his book some more. "What was the other name you were asking about? Brown?"

"Yeah, uh, Enoch Brown." Jordan confirmed, walking back around and taking his seat next to Kaitlin.

"Okay, here it is. Enoch Brown. Put a down payment on 15 mules and 2 horses. Paid 5 ounces of gold, promised to deliver 20 ounces of gold on pickup of the mule team. That was June 30th 1893. Never showed, never paid. That would be..." More typing on the calculator. "A little over $50 million at today's gold prices. Oh, and it also says he was going to buy a child's pony. You want to tell me what these men were to you?"

"They owned the original claim on my family land. Silas White was my great-great Grandfather." Jordan told him. "Enoch Brown was his mining partner, who died under mysterious circumstances." Jordan said.

"Ain't nothing mysterious about a poor miner that suddenly becomes filthy rich getting robbed and killed. See, back then getting the gold out of the ground was only half the battle. Keeping it from getting stolen before you could make it to a bank was the real dangerous part.

"And for the future, it's usually better to let a man know that you've got family money after you agree on a price for your horses." Jason smiled at Jordan and Kaitlin. Megan was still looking over the old ranch ledgers.

"I've never seen a dime of that money, I think my great-grandfather lost a bunch in a bank that collapsed back during the great depression." Jordan said, remembering something his father had once told him.

"I'm just kiddin' ya. I'm a fair man, and I promised you a fair price." He clicked the mouse and a printer started up. He took the sheet of paper, and handed it to Jordan.

Jason had itemized list of purchases. Jason wanted $2000 for Rose, $3000 for Dixie, and as agreed, Brutus was free. The saddles and tack cost almost as much as the horses, at $2500 per horse. Jordan showed the prices to Kaitlin, who studied them, and nodded her approval that the prices were fair.

"Will y'all be needing a horse trailer too?" Jason asked. "I've got two that will do for your needs, and that you can tow with the ball on the back of your truck." Jordan nodded, and chose the larger of the two trailers for $6,500, which was added to his bill. "Total comes to $20,000. Ha. Same price your great granddad owed my great granddad, more or less."

"I don't suppose you'd take payment in 20 ounces of gold would you?" Jordan joked.

"You have 20 ounces of gold lying around?" Jason said in wonder.

"Um... no." Jordan lied, thinking about the gold in the satchel behind his seat in the truck.

Jordan pulled up his banking app on his phone, typed in the payment to the bank account Jason gave him, and the two men shook hands as soon as the deal was complete. Jason threw in a few bales of alfalfa hay and a bag of barley for free.

***

Jordan had errands to run and unpacking to do before he could take possession of his new horses and transport them up to his land. Kaitlin was thrilled, and was vibrating with energy as she helped Jordan unpack. Jordan guessed that Kaitlin wanted to help Jordan unpack faster, so that she could get him and her new horse up to the land, and follow the Bigfoot, wherever they went for their nightly runs.

"Where do you want your... holster and..." Kaitlin held up a brown metal box.

"Ah, my gun safe. You found it!" Jordan said. "I could have used that this weekend." He said, taking out his keys and unlocking the safe. He put the safe on his closet shelf, and put the revolver in his holster, and hung it up in his bedroom.

"I can't really see you as a gun person." Kaitlin said, leaning against the door frame, and watching Jordan unpack a box.

"I'm not. Not really. My dad took me duck hunting as a kid, so I know my way around a shotgun. I own the revolver, though I've never shot it at anything living.

Dr. Stein claims that the Bigfoot, especially the males are too tough to kill with a gun, though I still wouldn't have minded having one along while I was getting beat up Saturday morning." Jordan gestured at his arm in a sling.

"Are you going to start carrying it all the time up at your property?" Kaitlin asked.

"No, probably not. I wouldn't mind having it handy, though in case I need it." Jordan said. Kaitlin nodded.

The two worked fast together. Megan brought them a dinner of homemade lasagna. Kaitlin chipped in a bottle of zinfandel, and they sat around eating, drinking and talking. After they had eaten Megan started helping with the unpacking. Megan and Kaitlin put Jordan's bed together, and made it up for him. They assembled his kitchen, with Megan directing where everything should go.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 21 milliseconds