Great and Terrible Things

"Don't worry," I interjected, trying to ease her concern. "Soldiers are much better at surviving than heroes."

"That's what I'm afraid of," she said softly, looking down. I reached out with my good hand and lifted her chin until our eyes met once more.

"There's no way I'm going anywhere," I promised with a slow smile. "After all, I still haven't gotten a chance to see you with your hair down."

I'm not sure who instigated the kiss that followed. It just sort of just happened naturally. There was a touch of the passion that struck like the first time we kissed, but only a touch. The emotions we shared this time as our lips connected were far more powerful.

"I'm going to hold you to that." Abigail said bravely as she stepped back. I nodded and opened the door, but hesitated before leaving. I wanted to say something more. Something to let her know how much she meant to me, but I couldn't because I wasn't staying even if this ended well, and we both knew it.

Abigail seemed to understand better than me. She smiled, squeezed my shoulder and slipped passed me and out of the room. I followed, confused, but having no time to work out what I was feeling.

The hotel lobby was mostly empty which surprised me. William and Robert were still there, along with Thomas and the tied-up fool I'd knocked out the night before behind the hotel, but Mile's father and his ranch hands were nowhere to be seen, nor any townsfolk.

William handed Abigail her Henry after accepting a brief hug from her. She nodded in thanks and said goodbye to Robert before leaving out the back. Abigail gave me one last glance before she disappeared. It amazing how much can be said with a single look.

William saw and frowned, but said nothing as he handing me my Winchester and a box of ammunition. Someone with a key had obviously visited the marshal's office and gotten our weapons before he returned to town. It was good to have my Centennial back in my hands. I started loading it immediately.

"Where is everyone?" I figured it was a fair question. Robert was busying tying Thomas's hands behind his back so William answered.

"The town council decided that the meeting with Murphy should happen over the river and outside of the town's limits. I don't blame them." I thought for a moment and agreed. This town had seen enough bloodshed already.

"Mr. Phillips and his men have already ridden out," Robert added as he stood Thomas and the other man up. "All except the two he left upstairs with Miles and Clementine. He figured it would be safer to start the talks without anyone directly involved with what happened yesterday there."

I didn't like the idea of them going out without us, but it wasn't a bad plan. It was probably the best chance of ending this peacefully. The only problem was that if it didn't, then we wouldn't be there to help and between the three of us we probably had more years of experience fighting then all of the other men with Mile's father. I could see from Robert's expression that he felt the same.

"We are supposed to join them shortly with these two as a sort of peace offering. We're bringing them along in a wagon. Think you can handle driving it?"

I much preferred riding a horse than taking the wagon, but someone needed to do it and I was the logical choice. Besides, although I was pretty sure I could still ride a horse for a short time because of how my leg responded to my putting weight on it, that didn't mean it wouldn't hurt like hell. Not that I looked forward to driving the wagon. The bouncing wouldn't be much better.

"I've got it covered." The sergeant major nodded at my reply, obviously expecting it.

William led the way out the front door while Robert followed, holding on to the other tied up man's arm. I came up the rear with Thomas in front of me.

"You know, you didn't need to tie me up," the Murphy boy was saying, still a bit green, but sounding much better this morning. "I'm not going to do anything and it would be better if I were free when father sees me."

The boy had a point, but I guess Robert decided not to chance it and I wouldn't gainsay him. He was basically doing the same thing I'd done when I'd hit Thomas on the head the night before after the boy gave up. There were times to take a chance and there were times not to. Going into a volatile situation with probably well over two score of men carrying guns was definitely not one of those times.

"Hold it right there!"

The demand came as soon as we stepped down from the Hotel's porch and out from cover. I recognized the voice as the marshal's almost immediately. The look of surprise on his face as we reacted would have been funny if the situation wasn't so dire. I guess he expected us to freeze or something, but all three of us were too well trained for that.

Robert threw the man he was leading to the ground and I used my crutch to trip up Thomas. He and it hit the ground together a moment later. There was no way either of us were going to face an enemy with two men who could possible turn on us in the middle of the fight.

I guess we could have used them for shields, but Thomas was just a kid and the other man stupid enough to make it difficult. Besides, we really didn't expect the marshal to start shooting. He wasn't the type.

William only had one usable arm so he couldn't use his Spenser rifle. Instead, he had one of Alby's Scofields in his good hand, pointed dead center of the marshal. He's pulled it pretty dang fast for a man his age. I used my Winchester to cover the deputies to the right of the marshal. Robert did the same to the left with his shotgun. There were five men altogether.

"Can we help you marshal?" William's tone belied the threat we posed to the men across from us.

"Yeah," the man said, swallowing with some difficulty. "Hand over Thomas." He and his men had their guns drawn, but they looked more afraid than dangerous, not that scared men weren't dangerous.

"Why would you want us to do that?" Robert asked, his eyes never leave the men he was covering with his shotgun. "We're on our way to hand him over to his father."

"You're never going to make it out of town alive," the marshal replied confidently, but there was no threat in his voice.

"You going to stop us?" William didn't bother hiding his contempt. The marshal didn't seem particularly bothered by it which was odd based on the little I knew about the man.

"Not us. Alby's father, Sean Murphy was visiting his younger brother Michael, most likely checking up on his son when the news of Alby's death reached them." It was right about then that I realized the fear the marshal was showing was only due in part to us. The eldest Murphy obviously intimidated the hell out of the man.

"They might have had a falling out, but the old man took the news badly. I'm not even sure why. Alby hated his father something fierce. I think his presence is what set the crazy son of a bitch off yesterday in the first place." That might have been true, but with a man like Alby, it was bound to happen sooner or later. "I heard that the old man didn't much care for his son either. It doesn't make any sense."

"You don't understand because you're not a father," Robert said, looking at the marshal directly. He didn't lower his gun, but it was pretty obvious that these men weren't here to stop us. "Where is he?"

"Sean Murphy was riding with his brother until he heard that you three were still in town, by yourselves. He and his men, more than a dozen strong, split away and rode down this way. Michael sent us ahead to try and get his son out of harm's way before the shooting started."

"Thanks for the warning." I doubt he'd done it for our sake, but it amounted to the same thing. I lowering my Winchester. "You can take Thomas and his friend."

Two of the deputies holstered their guns and came over, helping Thomas and the other bound man stand. They quickly led the two away. I thought that was the end of the conversation with the marshal, but he surprised me.

"Look, you should know, Sean Murphy and his men, they're not like the ranch hands or young scoundrels Alby had with him. They've got the same air about them as you three. They're dangerous and experienced. I hear tell that the elder Murphy brother was a confederate officer during the war, and that most of the men with him served as well."

"Are they after just the three of us?" William asked, obviously worried about his family and young Miles.

"I don't know." The marshal nervously looking toward the town entrance as he spoke. He needn't have bothered. If these men were soldiers like he implied, then they wouldn't be entering from that direction. "They're supposedly coming to arrest everyone involved and bring you in front of the county sheriff, but it was obvious that was just a pretense. Michael Murphy's older brother is out for blood and his men didn't look like the type to take prisoners. Honestly, I wouldn't put it past them to use your families against you."

"Thanks." This time I said it with more feeling because he didn't need to pass that information along. The news didn't bode well, but it was better to know before the fighting started. "You best be getting out of here before the fighting starts. Looks like the town council isn't going to get what they wanted after all. Make sure the streets are cleared."

The marshal nodded and then disappeared down the street along with his men, Thomas and the other tied up man. William, Robert and I stepped back inside the hotel. We couldn't stand out there like sitting targets. We needed a plan and we needed it quick.

"Three against twelve," William frowned. "I don't like those odds."

"I think the marshal is right. They might use our families against us and we can't chance it. That means two places to protect," Robert added, his expression dark and foreboding. "Here and my place. That's where my wife, Abigail and Billy will be held up."

"What about your son?" I hadn't seen the boy recently, but I remembered meeting him the day before.

"He's out of reach for the time being. I sent him out of town after the first altercation with Alby." Sending his boy away to keep him safe was smart, only I didn't get why did he didn't send his wife along with his son.

"This is going to be a lot harder than last night." I could see that William's mind was racing as he spoke. So was mine. The old man wasn't wrong. I'd faced six to one odds by the time I'd attacked Alby, but I'd had experience and surprise on my side. Even still, I would have been dead if not for luck and the sergeant major's timely intervention. Four against one with well-trained men on both sides were horrible odds and we all knew it.

"The element of surprise is out," the sergeant major put in, looking as close to worried as I'd ever seen him. We couldn't delay any longer.

"Robert, you take the wagon and go get your wife, Abigail and Billy. We need to get everyone in one location and Miles shouldn't be moved. We've got almost no chance if we're split up when the fighting starts." The tone of my voice didn't bother either man. They were former soldiers and knew someone needed to take command. I was the logical choice whether I liked it or not.

"If you hear gun fire before you get back, send them out of town and into hiding and get back here as quick as you can without getting yourself killed." The ebony skinned man nodded in understanding. I was sorely tempted to have him ride out with them if it came to that, but we'd need his gun here.

Besides, I wasn't sure if Alby's father would go after them if we sent them into hiding. I figured there was a good chance that he wouldn't as long as he had the three of us in hand. It went against my nature to leave women and children unprotected, but in this case the sergeant major's presence would do more to endanger them than it would do to protect them.

It helped a little that Abigail had her Henry with her. She'd use it without hesitation if her hand was forced. Thoughts of her reminded me of the scant two kisses we shared and how desperately I wanted another right at that moment, but I pushed the memories from my head. I couldn't afford to be distracted right now.

"William, you go upstairs and let the two Phillips men know what's going on," I continued. "You're going to need their help in barricading the door and windows after we leave. Do the same with the back door, but make that one's easier to move aside. Robert and the others will be coming in that way assuming they make it back in time."

"After that, send whichever of the two hands is the better shot upstairs with a rifle to one of the empty bedrooms." I paused for a moment, hating what I had to say next. "If Abigail makes it back, send her as well. We'll need as much high cover as we can get if they attack in force."

"What will you be doing?" William asked.

"Same thing I did yesterday. I'm going to scout out the enemy." It was the logical decision. Someone had to do it and I was the right man for the job. "We need information and we won't get it unless someone goes out and looks for it."

"Just don't be doing heroic, like last night," the old man grumped. "I don't want to have to explain to my niece how you died."

"I'm a soldier, not a hero," I retorted in annoyance. I always hated when people used the latter term. "I do what has to be done to protect my unit and win the battle. In this case, they're one and the same." The old man shook his head, but left it at that.

"Take Trooper." Robert's offer of his cavalry trained mount was logical since he'd be driving the wagon, but I was a little surprised just the same because I knew how much the man loved the horse. I thought that maybe the sergeant major was going to offer to do the scouting instead and was glad when he didn't. I'd already decided I was the better choice despite my bad leg. Robert had a well-deserved reputation, but he was never a scout. Besides, he had a wife and son to look after.

"I'll do my best to bring him back in one piece." It was the best I could offer.

"Just be sure to bring yourself back," the sergeant major replied with a shake of his head before he grinned, despite the direness of the situation and added, "I don't want to have to face Abigail if you don't, any more than William does."

Apparently, everyone had picked up on the growing affection Abigail and I shared. I wasn't really surprised because she'd done little to hide it and I wasn't much better, but it worried me just the same. I wasn't a rancher and couldn't stay here. Abigail deserved a man who would settle down with her and Billy. I wasn't that man, at least not yet. Maybe one day, but I couldn't ask her to wait since I wasn't even sure that day would ever come.

"Let's get going." William probably deserved an explanation when the time came, but it was best to avoid the topic for the time being. "I'll see you both soon. 'Scouts out'."

Abigail's uncle nodded, but Robert hesitated. I think he was trying to get himself ready for the coming fight. He had a far off look in his eyes before he refocused on us.

"'For those I love, I will do great and terrible things.'" Robert's final words, offered in his deep baritone, reminded us all what we were fighting for. It was a very old saying from warriors of a different time, but that didn't make it any less true today.

The sergeant major and I left the hotel and went in our separate directions. He drove the wagon toward his shop while I took Trooper between the hotel and the next building over. I didn't mount him just yet because I wanted to scout around on foot first. That was going to be painful in my current state, but so be it.

I had no idea which way Murphy and his men would come into town and little time to figure it out. The only thing I was certain of was that if they'd plan on coming in via the main road then they'd have been here already.

If they were trying to be sneaky then they would come from the direction of river because it gave them the best cover, but it was also the most difficult approach. We'd killed Alby and nearly a dozen men. That earned us their respect, but they were nearly a score of them and men like these wouldn't be afraid of just the three men, no matter how well trained we were.

That's why I left Trooper on the side of the hotel instead of riding him toward the river. That and I figured protecting the back entrance of the hotel for when Robert returned with the women and Billy was a good secondary mission. I had the feeling I'd be riding the horse before this was all over, but for the type of scouting I needed to do now, he was too obvious.

The first thing I needed to do was make sure the hotel's back entrance wasn't already being watched. I moved as silently as my wounded leg would allow and went back to the front of the buildings. I moved a few doors down before going between the buildings there and coming out behind this side of the town.

The next few minutes were a bit grueling with my wound, but I dealt with it. I moved with far more care than I had in years. I'd been cautious the day before when scouting Alby and his men, but this was different. These men were trained and I couldn't afford to make any mistakes. The day before woke some old skills I hadn't used in years. It also let me know how out of practice I was, but it couldn't be helped.

Eventually, I'd done enough looking to be reasonable confident that the back of the hotel wasn't being watched, at least not by anyone close by. I decided to continue to scout behind this side of the street while keeping an eye on the back entrance of the hotel.

I was a about fifty yards down when I heard something from between the two of the buildings. It was a curse, followed by the distinct sound of someone being slapped, and none too gently. There were heated words that followed, but they were said too softly for me to make out so I shifted closer to the building and moved slowly toward the gap.

My blood froze when I got my first glance at what caused the commotion. I'd misjudged Alby's father and his men. They were even better than I feared. They were already in place, even before we left the hotel and faced the marshal.

I had no idea what they were waiting for, but the sight of the three men, two of them carrying top of the line rifles and the third holding a gagged Abigail sent a shiver down my spine. They must have been waiting for her at the back entrance to the hotel as soon as she left. They'd moved here between the building after they captured her because they couldn't stay hidden with her.

"How did she get out of bindings?" The speaker was clearly angry and annoyed. He was looking at the man holding Abigail as if he were an idiot. "Tie her tighter this time."

"I tied her plenty tight the first time!" the man retorted, reaching down for the rope at Abigail's feet. I saw the perplexed look on his face when he came up with two pieces. He should have been watching Abigail. I was. That why I knew what was going to happen next.

These were dangerous men who had no compunction in their killing, but they were overconfident and didn't realize Abigail was nobody's victim, not after the first time, when she'd received her scar. Hers eyes burned with a need to fight back and that's exactly what she was going to do. It might have been smarter for her to wait for a better moment to make her move, but there was no guarantee one would come. The problem was that there was no way Abigail would be able to win against all three.

The decision to act was instantaneous. It would give away my presence to Alby's father and the rest of his men, but that didn't matter in the least. I came around the corner of the building, my Centennial taking out the first man before he even realized I was there. I cranked the lever and fired a second time. The other man with a rifle went down, but not before the bullet he shot whizzed past my ear. You had to give him credit for getting off the shot. Most men wouldn't have been able to. Of course, I was just as happy he missed.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 58 milliseconds