Great and Terrible Things

I didn't bother with the third man. I'd known he was dead before I fired my first shot. He had Abigail's knife, something they'd somehow neglected to find on her, sticking out of his chest. I figured that she'd used it to cut the ropes tying her before burying it in the man holding her prisoner.

Abigail was stunned by my presence. I'm sure she expected to die after knifing the man, but that hadn't stopped her. I wanted to kiss her and tell her how proud I was of her. I wanted to hit her and tell her to be more careful with her life. I wanted to pull her into a hug and tell her it would all be okay. I wanted to do a lot of things, but there was no time.

"We need to move, now!"

Abigail nodded in understanding and recovered surprisingly fast. She followed me back the way I'd come without question, but first she pulled the knife out and grabbed one of the men's rifles. I saw that it was another Centennial.

"You were due for an upgrade." I'm not sure why I said it, at least not until she smiled. I glanced down at her knife pointedly and she actually laughed, if only momentarily.

"I know, I know, you still want to know where I hide it."

"More than ever." I led the way to the back door of the hotel. I didn't bother trying to go unnoticed. There was no point. We ran. I dropped a cartridge as I tried to reload my rifle, but was able to get the next two inserted via the feed ramp before we reached the door. William must have been watching and waiting because the door opened as we neared it.

I pulled Abigail into a harsh, short kiss before pushing her through the door and running past. I shouldn't have done it, but I couldn't help myself. I heard her surprised cry, more because I didn't follow her inside the hotel than because of the kiss. I understood. I also figured William would be smart enough not to let her follow me.

The marshal had been right about the eldest Murphy and his men. They were not against using the people we loved against us. That was the only reason that made sense for the three men to be holding Abigail. That meant Robert was in trouble. They'd have gone after his wife and Billy.

Trooper was exactly where I left him. I mounted as quickly as I could. All that running I'd just done made my leg throb. I'd known I'd ripped some of the stitched open, but I hadn't realized how bad it was until I noticed that the blood had already seeped through the bandages Doc Jenson had wrapped my thigh in, as well as my britches. I needed to do something to stop the bleeding soon, but right now, it couldn't be helped.

I heard the sound of gunfire in the distance and knew Robert was in trouble. I rode Trooper out to the main street and gave him the signal to gallop just using my legs. My thigh was in excruciating pain, but I ignored it. Thankfully, enough of it faded as the adrenalin kicked in to let me think.

Robert's place came into view and I was unsurprised to see how many men were out front of it shooting inside. The sergeant major had obviously figured out he wouldn't make it back to the hotel, or be able to send his wife off with Billy, so he had decided to defend his home. It was suicide against so many well-trained men, but it's not like he had a choice.

There was little I could do to help Robert with the number of men he faced. The smart thing would be to turn around and go back to the hotel and hold out until Mile's father returned with his men. They had to have heard the shooting by now. Of course, they could be being delayed by Michael Murphy and his men.

Still, turning around and heading to the hotel was the only option where there was at least a small chance at victory. The more I thought about it, the more I realized it was the right choice. It's what a good soldier would do.

The problem was that the idea of leaving Robert and his wife to the mercies of Alby's father and his men just didn't sit right. It would have made me hesitate despite my years of training even if they were the only two lives at risk. I'm not sure I could have made myself leave them, but it didn't matter because they weren't alone.

I liked Billy. I liked him a lot. The conversations we'd had, especially the one where I explained what happened with Alby and his men showed me a lot about the boy. He was a smart kid, with an inquisitive mind and a strong sense of right and wrong. He was someone a father could be proud of. I couldn't leave him.

Besides, there was no way I could return to Abigail without her son. She would probably understand, but how could she ever forgive me? Not that it mattered. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself.

I'd made some hard choices in my life. As it turned out, this wasn't one of them. My one gun wouldn't make that much of a difference at the hotel. It wouldn't make a difference here either, but I just couldn't abandon Billy and the Washingtons. It wasn't in me.

"So, you're going to try to be hero after all," I snorted to myself in disgust, shaking my head before adding more somberly, "More likely a martyr, but so be it."

I held my Winchester at the ready with both hands as I directed Trooper's gallop with my knees. I led him behind the buildings first so that I could get closer without the bulk of them noticing. I was fully expecting the scout they had out in that direction. He fired, but missed. I didn't.

I directed the stallion back between the buildings once the man was down. We were moving at a cantor now. I came out past where I expected the man they'd left to protect this approach would be standing. The fact that I wasn't immediately shot down meant that I was probably right.

Still, I was surprised when no gunfire came from behind me. Maybe he's gone between the buildings to see what had happened to his friend? If he had and I was his commanding officer, I would have torn a strip into him for abandoning his post.

That's when I heard the first echo of a bullet being fired from behind me. A slug struck the building I was passing. I guess the man behind me hadn't left after all. The scout had probably just let himself become distracted and it took him a few moments to realize what was happening. I shifted Trooper back into a gallop and crouched down as low as I could to make a smaller target as I continued to charge the main body of men.

There were a lot of them in front of Robert's place, but right at that moment they were facing three directions. Some were still shooting at the sergeant major inside with him returning fire every so often, some were facing the rear of the building where I'd killed the scout and the rest were facing me.

I didn't start firing until one of them finally pulled the trigger. It took longer than it should have. I guess they were confused by my charge and were expecting something more. It made sense. What sane man would charge them by himself?

The stallion was even more amazing than I expected. He didn't flinch at all despite forging toward what was quickly turning into a hail of lead as most of the men facing the back of the building turned and joined the men shooting at me. That didn't mean trooper didn't shift. I kept his moving randomly left and right as we charged, making it harder for the men to hit us.

I'm not sure how many I killed before one of their bullets finally found me. It hit on my right side, near my hip and it rocked me, but I was able to stay on Trooper. My movement caused the stallion to turn suddenly and somehow, we ended up behind the building next to Robert's.

I noticed that the horse was bleeding from a couple of wounds, but none of them were enough to stop him. Trooper was truly magnificent! If I was going to go out, there were worse ways for an old cavalryman.

I started reloading my rifle almost instinctively as I directed the stallion around the building so we could make another run. It would be suicide this time because they knew what they faced and any surprise or shock I caused by my action was spent. So be it. Nothing had changed other than there being a few less men to face.

I had my centennial back up at the ready when I rounded the building once more and came at those in front of Robert's place for the last time. I was feeling lightheaded and I'm sure a part of it was from blood loss and the shock of my wounds, but there was more to it than that.

I'd led plenty of cavalry charges in my life. This one should have been a sad shadow of any of those, but it wasn't. I could almost hear the sound of the bugle. It made my blood drum as I shifted Trooper into a charge one last time.

I started firing as soon as he started running. I probably missed more than I hit from this distance, but they were ready for me and I'd most likely be dead before I got much closer. I had rounds to spare so I let fly. That's when I heard the bugle cry again, only this time it was closer. Closer?

The truth struck me the same time as the next bullet. I went down, pulling Trooper with me. Okay, so I didn't really pull a horse than easily weighed a ton down on top of me. What I did was give the stallion the command to sink to the ground so I could use him as cover. I'd been shot in the left shoulder so my Winchester was useless. I dropped it and pulled out my Peacemaker.

The men I was facing had continued to fire at first and poor Trooper took the brunt of their attack, dying to protect me, but most of them eventually stopped and were looking past me. The few that didn't were being driven on by one enraged older man. There could be no missing the similarities between Sean Murphy and his son.

Alby's father's eyes were locked on me without really ever seeing me. I was the man who killed his son and I had to pay. I could sympathize with the man and his rage. That didn't stop me from using my Peacemaker to put him down. I pulled the trigger once. It was enough.

Without Sean Murphy pushing them, the rest of the men stopped shooting which was a good thing for them because that's when the line of cavalrymen rode past me. The bugle call hadn't been my imagination.

The smart thing to do would be to remain on the ground because of my wounds, but I couldn't face a full company of cavalry on my back. Besides, I hadn't done any smart things today so far so why would I start now?

I fought to stand. I didn't think I was going to be able to do it despite my best effort when someone slipped under my good shoulder. I blinked twice with some difficulty when I realized it was Abigail. William was with her.

"The two men that Mile's father left behind are at the hotel protecting Miles and Clementine. Uncle William and I came as fast as we could when we realized what was happening. We took out the scout you left behind you." I'd wonder what happened to him during my second pass. Now I knew.

"By the time we were done you'd already put down Alby's father and took the fight out of the rest of them. We arrived only a moment or two before these bluecoats." Her tone made me smile despite everything.

"Bluecoats? You're showing your southern upbringing."

"Don't try and change the subject," she snapped in reply. "You shouldn't have gone running off and faced all these men on your own. It was stupid!"

"No argument here," I laughed. I shouldn't have. I was already lightheaded and it caused me to sway.

"We need to get you to Doc Jenson and soon." The fight left her expression and was replaced with worry as she helped hold me upright. I liked the former much better.

"I'm sure he'll be along shortly," I shrugged, or at least tried to. The shoulder wound probably wasn't as bad as the one in my side, but it hurt like hell when I'd tried to move it.

"Let's get you off your feet," she demanded, but I ignored her.

"Not quite yet, give me a few moments." Abigail frowned in confusion until she saw the captain of the cavalry company ride up and dismount. She rolled her eyes, but left it at that.

The captain was as pale skinned as they came with light blue eyes and long, flowing blond hair. The men with him were exactly the opposite. Their deep brown hair and eyes were mostly only a shade or two darker than their skin.

"Captain Harrington, the timely arrival of you are your company of buffalo soldiers is greatly appreciated." I knew the man well. We'd server together for nearly five years. I was the one who got him his promotion to captain before he was transferred to another regiment.

"Colonel Mosey!" The surprise in his expression was echoed in Abigail's. She'd known I was a cavalry officer, but not that I'd been a colonel. William was far less surprised. He'd probably figured it out.

Once upon a time, I led an entire regiment of buffalo soldiers. I'd learned long ago that skin color had little to do with caliber of a man, and in the end, we all bled red.

"We had no idea you were here!" The man shook my hand with a little more zest then I could have wished for with my wounds, but I appreciated the welcome. "The young man who came only said that there was trouble in town. His father's name was enough for my commanding officer to send out a company in this direction for 'routine drilling'. Of course, we weren't expecting to find full blown battle going on."

"That's where Robert sent his son." I nodded to myself in understanding. The sergeant major hadn't sent his son away for safety. He'd sent him out for help. The odds at the time were that it wouldn't be needed, but with three of the biggest ranches in the territory involved, it always paid to be prepared.

"We'd have been here sooner, but we had to break up a gathering just outside of town. One Michael Murphy and one Benjamin Phillips were close to blows when we happened upon them. I expected it would have turned ugly with all the men they both had with them at the time. We came as fast we could."

"Much appreciated." The captain grinned at my reply.

"Of course, I wouldn't have rushed if I'd known you were here dealing with the situation in town. I don't imagine a mere score of men would have stopped such a fine officer like you."

"From the look of them, they were a score of former officers and soldiers themselves, and there were women and children involved." The captain lost his smile. "They had the sergeant major trapped in his house with his wife and an eight-year-old."

Robert, his wife and Billy chose that moment to come outside. The captain and soldiers with him knew who the sergeant major was and what he'd done during the war. The captain yelled out an order. Frankly, I wasn't really tracking very well by that point to make it out, but I knew what it was anyway. All of the cavalry men snapped to attention and saluted Robert, giving the Medal of Honor winner his just due.

It was quite the sight, but I didn't dwell on it. Instead, I focused on Billy's eyes as they lit up when he saw his mother. He came running and I let go of her so she could catch him. Abigail bent down and waiting for her son with open arms. Abigail actually laughed as he fell into them, at least until the boy eyes grew big and he turned pale.

"Momma are you hurt? You're bleeding!"

That caused Abigail to frown and glance down at herself. There was blood on her left side. It made sense. After all, that the side that had been pressed against me when she'd helped hold me up. Speaking of which...I sunk to the ground despite my best efforts.

"Josiah!" Abigail's cried echoed, although it may have only been in my head.

She obviously hadn't noticed the wound on my side in the heat of the moment while she'd helped prop me up. If she had, I'm sure Abigail would have insisted I sit down despite my reluctance to face Captain Harrington and his men on the ground. I might have felt more victorious about getting my way if I didn't end up falling on my face and passing out in front of the entire company.

**********

I don't know how long I was out of it, but I do know it was a while. It was obviously touch and go there for at least a few days, and then it got worse. I'm not sure which of my wounds got infected, but one of them certainly did. All told, I lost about two weeks of time.

I was weak as a kitten when I woke up the first time, three days after the Doc finished operating on me. That didn't stop me from smiling up at Abigail's worried expression.

"My God, you're beautiful." The words came out rough and barely auditable, but I knew she understood because she blushed and shook her head. That didn't mean she looked away. That wasn't my Abigail. "That's what I think I'll call you. My beautiful Abigail." The emotions in her eyes was heartwarming despite the words that followed.

"If you ever scare me like that again, I may show you just how good I am with my knife."

I laughed, but only once because a coughing fit took me. The concern in her expression was the last thing I saw before passing out again. I knew that wasn't a good sign, but there was nothing I could do about it.

The next time I remember waking up, Clementine was sitting with me. The blond-haired girl looked annoyed.

"What's wrong?" It took me a bit to get the words out, but I succeeded eventually.

"What wrong?" she repeated, her anger obvious. "My cousin spent a week and a half sitting next to you day and night, praying for your recovery, taking breaks sparingly and only then to spend some time with Billy to make sure her son didn't think she'd abandoned him. And after all that, what did you do? You woke up and told her that you want her to leave. That nothing would ever come out of her feelings for you!"

To say I was stunned by her words would have been a huge understatement. I had no memory of saying such things to Abigail and the fact that I'd hurt her caused an ache in my chest that was far worse than any from my myriad wounds.

"And even when she finally did leave at your insistence, she couldn't bear to leave you alone and made me promise to stay and watch over you despite the fact that I'd much rather be spending time with Miles. His father took him home three days ago and I'm stuck here!"

"I did what?" the question slipped out before I could stop it. That caused Clementine to pause mid rant.

"You mean you don't remember?" The sixteen still looked angry, but I guess my pained expression got through to her.

"The last thing I remember was telling Abigail she was beautiful."

"That was a week and a half ago, before the infection took hold." The blond sounded calmer, but not by much. She paused again, staring at me in silence for a few moments. "Do you love my cousin?"

"Of course," I said, laughing without feeling any real humor. I could no more deny my feeling for Abigail then I could stop the movement of the sun, moon and stars. Some things just were. "And I hate that I did that to her, but that doesn't mean what I said was wrong. I've told her from the beginning that I'm not the settling down type. Can you picture me as a rancher?"

"You may be a lot older than me, but you're a fool." I didn't bother denying the teenagers words. "Even I know that true love comes along once in a life time, and even then, only if you're lucky. You need to get better, ride out to our ranch and talk to my cousin. Abigail's hurt and won't come to you now. You need to make the effort."

"I can't," I said slowly. "It wouldn't be fair to her."

"Men!" Clementine snapped and stormed out of the room. I hadn't noticed Robert by the door until the girl passed him.

"That one should have been a redhead with a temper like hers." The sergeant major came into the room and sat in the chair. "Not that she's wrong."

"Maybe," I admitted with a shrug. "But just because I'm out of the service, that doesn't mean I'm fit company for a woman like Abigail. She deserves better, so does her son."

"That boy worships the ground you walk on," Robert snorted. "And it's right he should. You saved his entire family, not to mention me and mine too." I had no idea how to respond to that so I didn't bother.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 55 milliseconds