The Bonding Chronicles Ch. 12

Seeing her — even within her impressive disguise — brought a smile to his face, and helped to soothe his worry. Sara was standing beside her desk, watching Andrew and trying to decide if she should run to him or not. He shook the remainder of his funky mood from his shoulders, and smiled at Karen before making his way to the back of the room, where Sara kissed him on the cheek and whispered, "What's going on?"

Andrew gripped her arm, letting her know that he was fine, before taking out his English book and setting down his bag beside his desk.

"Yeah, I think it will be alright," He looked at Karen who was studying a piece of paper from behind her desk, before turning his attention back on Sara and finishing, "We should talk it through tonight, when we are all together."

While Andrew took his seat, Sara looked at Karen and smiled with her appreciation of Andrew's plan.

Andrew allowed his worry to drift away for now. There was nothing he could do, and he wanted to get Karen and Sara's insight before he thought about it too much. With that behind him, he was able to admire Karen and her skillful disguise.

She had used her outfit and makeup to bring herself closer to the appearance she had wanted, and as a result, he knew that the ward had less to do to bridge the gap. The frumpy clothes and rounded happy face that gazed out across the room looked much more like the woman he had first met. One thing that stood out to him, was that she was not quite the same; her appearance was somewhere between the forty-year-old woman he had first met, and the thirty-year-old woman he had seen the day before.

He added that to his list of things to talk to her about.

Once the bell rang, the lesson commenced, and despite a few moments of arousal, Karen's lecture was amazing. Her mood never shifting from that of the excited and intriguing woman that always taught this class, one that most of the students adored, for her joy and compassion.

The rest of their day passed with relative ease. P.E. was fun, and Seth was beginning to find it harder to keep the ball from Andrew, who had almost gotten it from him a couple of times. The camaraderie that the exercise built was effective, the joy of the activity deflating any worry that Seth carried from Andrew's abrupt exit after Physics.

Lunch was a blast, their side of the room alive with laughter and excited voices. Even Allison's dire remarks resulted in uproarious laughter from the large group, which Andrew and Sara realized made Allison happy. They bumped each other, and smiled in the knowledge that their friend was coming out of her shell, even if that shell was painted black and scarred with cracks.

Despite their efforts, they could not manage to get any details from Marcus about his character. The shy man avoided their inquiries with off-handed questions about obscure rules, and after a few failed attempts, Andrew and Seth gave up, realizing that he was eager for it to be a surprise.

Karen had continued her high standard, and delivered an amazing presentation for European History, solidifying the class as Andrew's favorite. Karen's words were captured within his phone, and his notes detailed the connections she had led him to, through the course of the amazing lecture.

Even Calculus passed with relative ease. The worst part of that class was how Dr. Blake had resumed his assault on the football players, and had seemed to return his attention to Zack, who struggled with the material. Andrew now understood why Zack seemed to find these concepts so difficult to comprehend, and wondered how much better he would have done with a supportive teacher. Zack's spiteful glances at Andrew were frustrating for the small man, who wondered if the football player would ever accept how things were.

Throughout Art class Andrew, Seth, and Allison talked about their characters while they all worked on their projects. The idea of encapsulating the intricate device he had made in some hard, solid medium worried Andrew, who was beginning to realize how bad an idea it was. While LED(s) would theoretically never burn out, they can and do fail. It was just a matter of time until something would need to be fixed, and that meant he would need to have access to the delicate internals.

By the end of class, Andrew had melted together a clear plastic shell that would fit snuggly over his contraption, making it look like a cube — which had always been his desire — without blocking future access to the underlying wires.

As Andrew was admiring his handiwork, Allison's voice called over from her table, "I'm so happy you didn't cast that stupid thing like you said you were going to."

Her face showed little emotion when Andrew turned his attention to her, but she smiled when she saw the frustration on his face.

"Why didn't you say something sooner?"

It was obvious to Andrew how much joy she was taking from his realization that she was willing to let him ruin his project. "How else are you going to learn, huh, chipmunk?"

Andrew smiled in the knowledge that she was right. As soon as the first LED stopped working, he would have realized his mistake, and never made it again. His acceptance of her reasoning was not what the dour woman had expected, and her huff drew Seth's attention while Andrew smiled.

The grimace that crossed her face caused Seth to burst with laughter, and Andrew looked between the two people, seeing the strange relationship that was forming: Seth taking pleasure from Allison's annoyance, and Allison taking a weird pleasure from being annoyed at Seth's enjoyment of her misery. He wondered if perhaps his friend had something to hope for.

Andrew rolled his eyes, and took his project across the room, where he tucked it into his locker. He had been excited about this night for a week, and was eager to get homework behind them, so they could all settle into their movie night. Even the furtive glances that had stalked him all day could not dampen Andrew's anticipation for Monty Python.

***** Dinner and a Movie *****

Bruce and Steve understood the concepts from Dr. Blake's classes just as Andrew had expected. While he reviewed their assignments, they joked with Sara, who was cooking a perfect copy of his mother's beef stew. Andrew took great joy at seeing those old friends rebuilding something that they had all regretted losing, and did not fault them for their subterfuge as he scanned their papers. He chose to p lay along, glad to help in his small way.

The massive pot simmered all through their homework, and was ready just as the last of them had tucked their bags away and curled up in their position in front of the large TV. Andrew and Sara were nestled together on the corner of the couch, her arms wrapping him in intense warmth. Seth sat beside Allison on the couch, the two teens working hard not to look at each other, while Andrew queued up the movie.

Steve had brought four bean bags, and with the help of several pillows and a few extra blankets, they had turned the floor into a comfortable nest of inviting warmth. Bruce sprawled out beside the fireplace, resting across two bean bags with his arms behind his head. He exuded a calm confidence that Andrew suspected he would never achieve. Steve watched the large man from the corner of his eye, while he stirred his bowl of stew and waited for the movie to start.

Marcus had made an appearance, not wanting to miss experiencing this movie with his friends. The quiet man sat in a corner of the open space, hidden by the shadows, managing to be unseen unless looked for. Andrew pressed play, and the light from the flickering fire that danced across the room was replaced by the glorious sights and sounds of comedy gold.

They all ate the warm food, and laughed together through the course of the movie. Everything seemed heightened by the companionship of old and new friends. Sara held Andrew close, and took bites of stew from his bowl, which he was forced to refill a few times to keep them both fed. She found the movie funny, but for her, the best part was experiencing it with Andrew.

She could feel his joy at the jokes, and loved watching him say the lines along with the cast. It made her happy when he looked towards Seth, Allison, Marcus, and Steve, laughing with them as they all wiped tears from their eyes. The movie was so familiar to them all, and she could see the light of happy days reflected within their smiles, the same sense of joy she felt while running through the forest, or hanging from a branch. This was their childhood, and brought back the joy of a simpler time.

Andrew felt her exultation through their bond, and leaned back giving her a stew-flavored kiss.

The night was slow to end, the large group staying up much later than they had intended to, while they drank soda and ate snacks. Time slipped by, forgotten in the wake of their humorous conversations.

"Shit son, my moms is gonna kill me," Seth said as he vanished through the door, rushing to his car.

Allison shook her head, and followed him out the door. The last thing they saw of her, was the rolling of her eyes before she was consumed by the darkness outside. "Fuck, it's getting cold!" Her voice declared as it carried into the house.

Bruce laughed, his deep voice rumbling through the large room, "He does know he's white, right?"

Andrew, Sara, and Steve chuckled at his remark, before Andrew responded with, "No, as he will tell you at the slightest provocation, he is a Ginga'."

They all burst out with laughter, the joy of the evening making them easy to entertain.

"Take it easy, you two," Bruce said as he pushed Steve through the door, the lean white man laughing as he blushed at the contact against his back.

Marcus had left right after the movie, which meant that they once again had the house all to themselves. Once the door closed, Sara laughed and pulled Andrew into her arms.

"Oh my god, that was so much fun!" she declared, as she lifted Andrew off the floor and spun him around a couple of times.

He chuckled and smiled into her joyous face. "Glad you had a good time, kitten."

Her smile could not have been larger, and her eyes could not have been more bright.

"So, is something going on with Bruce and Steve?" Sara asked, before crossing the room and starting to gather the dirty bowls.

Andrew laughed before responding, "You noticed that, huh?"

Sara turned her head, and considered how she felt about this new discovery. "Good for them," was all she said before she continued her work.

The house had been shuttered before the movie, so Andrew knew they had complete privacy. Sara could feel the tingle of magic as Andrew cast his spell, and then the blankets all began to lift from the floor and fold themselves in the air. Pillows tumbled across the hardwood and organized themselves in the corner, before the blankets formed a neat stack beside the hallway leading towards the bedrooms.

"Show off," Sara said with a smile, as she walked the dishes to the kitchen sink.

Andrew studied his core, admiring how little energy the task had taken.

"Man, I love being a wizard."

***** Near Folly *****

Tani'm had the familiar feeling that she was being followed as she ducked behind a tree. The smell of blood hung heavy in the air, and she knew she was getting close to the latest horrific tableau that had been left by the great wolf. She opened and closed her mouth, trying to get the copper taste off of her tongue, as she squinted back in the direction she had come.

The hunting party was coming together nicely, the latest message from Eddie said they had thirteen able-bodied men signed up and willing, despite the risks. Tani'm was not one to put people in danger, and was desperate to keep their casualties down, which is how she found herself stalking the forest at night. The fact that she had never seen the creature — having only witnessed the grotesque scenes left in its wake — worried her, and she was eager to get a sense of what they would be facing.

Now, as she had feared, she knew that something was not right, and the subtle sounds that drifted through the forest made her skin crawl. The smell of blood and intestines drowned out all other scents, and with wide eyes, she realized that it might be a trap.

While her heart raced, she watched the forest, the near-full moon and clear skies providing a perfect vantage for the gifted woman, as she peered through the light brush. By strength of will she settled her nerves, slowed her heart, and recentered herself. She was not used to feeling fear, and was resolved to not let it get the better of her.

Grandfather had paid a price for letting fear override his judgement, and Tani'm knew if the mighty elk had stayed in the forest, he may not have died. Entering that clearing had been the worst mistake he could have made, and Tani'm was determined to not make a similar blunder.

She clutched her hatchet in one hand, and bone knife in the other. The weapons were primitive but effective, and in her hands, deadly beyond measure. Tani'm was small, standing at a mere five-foot-two-inches, a fact that made her easy to underestimate. The dark-skinned woman leaned back against the tree and focused her will, feeling her body tingle as her skin and clothes took the color and texture of the bark behind her.

Tani'm was gone, and all that seemed to remain was the tree. Her eyes watched as a bush shook, and as she prepared to unleash her hatchet towards the creature that emerged, she was brought short by the sight of what appeared.

She had never seen such a large jackrabbit in all her life. It stood almost two-and-a-half-feet tall from foot to head, and from its crown rose a majestic set of sharp antlers. The horns were impressive, and she knew that they would be a proud trophy for any hunter, even if they were small by elk standards. She could feel worry emanating from the rabbit as it sniffed the air and turned its head from side to side, while its ears pivoted and turned.

One of its ears ceased its seeking, and centered on her still form. The jackalope turned its head, and looked directly at her while one of its feet patted the ground with rhythmic excitement. Unlike the animals of the forest, she could sense intelligence behind its large eyes. As Tani'm stepped from the tree and her camouflage faded, the creature dropped its head and hopped back, studying her from a distance, while relief rushed through its body.

Tani'm sheathed her knife before extending her hand out for the jackalope to sniff. She exuded a sense of greeting and safety towards the creature, and was surprised as she felt fear and worry followed by the image of a mighty and powerful wolf tearing apart a few cattle. Tani'm shook her head at the unfamiliar feelings that rushed through her with the images, and blinked back her shock. The jackalope stood on its large hind legs, peering off in the direction the smell of blood and viscera was coming from.

The large rabbit took another few jumping steps away, before turning and looking at Tani'm, worry and fear assaulting her as its eyes darted back towards the site of the latest attack. She squinted her eyes and reached out her senses, finding only rodents hiding in their burrows, the small animals shaking with fear. Focusing on the most frightened of the tiny mammals, she got a glimpse of life through its eyes.

It was working to remain still, its little heart pounding at an impossible rate, while it listened to the deep and guttural sound of a massive animal breathing. The great wolf was just thirty yards away, and Tani'm knew that this had been a trap. Despite her gifts, she could not sense it, the large creature hidden from her by some unknown force.

Her eyes grew wide, and the scene of the forest rushing around her invaded her thoughts, projected into her mind by the jackalope as it waited for her response. She nodded her head, the act meaning nothing to the magical creature, but her intention being conveyed through her emotions.

Tani'm hated putting any life at risk, but knew that she had no other choice if she wanted to survive the night. She had hoped to be able to observe the creature from afar, but as she realized how thoroughly concealed the wolf was, she knew that she could not do it alone.

She projected her will, and the forest came alive by her desire; trees shook, swaying to some unseen wind, while all of the small animals took off in a frightened rush. The deathly calm was replaced by the frenzy of survival, as the sound of fright and terror filled the air, screeches and cries followed by the noise of dozens of tiny scurrying feet.

In that moment, Tani'm and the Jackalope vanished from the scene, their gifts masking their noise and guiding their movements, as they dodged and weaved their way through the brush of the forest. She could hear the fury of the large wolf as it howled out its anger from where it had lain in wait.

They ran for many minutes, caution driving them to maintain their silent pace. Fear never guided their actions, and together they jumped across wide streams and large ponds, avoiding many fallen trees and thick tangled vines. Eventually the pair stopped, their eyes turning behind them, as they studied where they had been.

The cool damp breeze seemed heavy with malicious purpose, and the two animals expected to see the hungry face of terror leap through the brush and descend upon them. As their breathing evened, and their hearts stopped racing, the pair relaxed, settling to the moist forest floor.

The large rabbit scratched its side, relief radiating out as pictures of vegetables flashed through Tani'm's mind. She smiled at the large creature, grateful for its unexpected assistance. If it had not made its presence known to her, she would have stumbled into the wolf's trap.

Tani'm stood and followed her gift for a couple of seconds, her movements being watched by the jackalope who stood on his hind legs. She walked to a plant that had been picked clean by the plentiful animals of the forest, and with the touch of her finger, revitalized the plant, the jackalope watched with interest as the leaves grew large and fat.

Soon the once-weak plant stood strong and vibrant, the air filling with the scent of midsummer as the leaves reached the peak of their growth. Once Tani'm found a spot to sit, she studied the large animal as it pulled and ate leaf after leaf, its nose twitching while it chewed. She had not realized it before, but the creature was starving, and as she studied it, she could feel its deep hunger as its stomach began to process the unexpected feast.

"So, my little friend, where did you come from?"

She sensed confusion mixed into the joy that the animal was feeling, as it ate at a ravenous pace. Tani'm chuckled as she realized that she had no idea how to communicate in a meaningful way with that amazing creature.

"Well, guess I should take you home, and get you some more food," she said as she thought about her house tucked back in the forest, imagining the lettuce and carrots she had in her refrigerator.

Tani'm was not sure if her message had been received, but figured the jackalope could decide for itself either way. She slapped her knees and stood, walking towards her house. After a few seconds she heard a snap, and then the periodic thud of movement sounding out behind her. Looking back, she laughed at the sight of what followed.

The jackalope was holding a large branch from the bush she had revitalized in its two front paws, with no small amount of difficulty. Each leaping hop caused the branch to fall from its grip, when it would reach down and use its teeth and paws to re-grab the branch, before starting the process all over again.

With a laugh she walked back and slowly took the branch from the jackalope's grip. Its paws were stronger than she had expected, but with some reluctance, the animal released its food and allowed her to take it.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 18 milliseconds