Bard's Tale 01 - The Beginning

Tahna herself was dressed in a tan gi, with dark brown cuffs and lapels. She wore thigh-high boots, and along with her pack, at her belt she carried her steel sais and a pouch containing two score of shurikens. Because it had been raining earlier, Tahna also wore her rain slicker.

Five years younger than Tia, Tahna was as youthful as her older sister. But for the past twenty years, one of her granted powers as Master of the East Wind was reduced aging. For every ten years of living, Tahna physically aged but a single year.

As much to get her sister's attention as to tease her, Tahna dramatically peered first at Tia, gave an exaggerated questioning look at the two steamer trunks on the ground, and turned back to her sister.

And after so many years, words were unnecessary. Most of both trunks weren't filled clothes or food or sensible things an adventurer might carry along. No. They were packed with books on mathematics and various religions. For Tia wasn't just a high priestess of the Lawgiver. She was also a renowned scholar and member of the Sages Guild, holding the Guild's highest rank of Dominie. Tia often received correspondence from far off lands, asking for her opinions on questions of faith or to test mathematical proofs. And many times her position as high priestess required that she smooth things over between the government and the various churches and temples of differing faiths. Her big sister wasn't just brilliant and wise, she was experienced in finding workable solutions that kept the peace.

Suddenly coming aware of her sister, Tia glanced at the simple backpack Tahna carried, and then at her own trunks, before shrugging.

"Yeah, I know. I pack too much stuff. But I like having my books! I do have some clothing in there. And my herbs, including my chamomile tea."

"At least you don't collect shoes." Tahna half-smiled the criticism. "That would be too much. You should keep a library at each place where we stay instead of dragging these book-filled trunks everywhere."

"They have my notes in the margins. Sometimes the annotations are as important as the books themselves."

"You could pay Father to magically duplicate the books for you. It would cost a lot, but think of the effort it would save. Think of all the weight being lugged about all the time."

"I'd have to pay him to make two copies. One for keeping at City of the Suns, and one for Sharaton-Charlottesville. And we'd have to get some place permanent in the capital to store them. Theodonra has room for short term visits, but asking her to store my books would be too much to ask of her. Then we'd have to get protections to keep them and the house safe while we were away. And probably have to hire house sitters? And how would I keep the notes up to date on all three?"

"Isn't there some way to have it so that if you update one book, the other copies update?" Tahna shrugged. "I honestly don't know because I'm not a mage. What I do know is that you and Mindal have a lot of money saved up. A few million gold royals, I recall you telling me earlier this past winter. Enough to live comfortably well for a few hundred years, including a real cut-loose party once a year. The money should be put to good use instead of collecting dust in some old chest. House sitters or servants to protect your libraries would work, and I have no objections to you hiring servants. If you really don't want to do that, Tia, that's fine, too. I don't mind that you have the books. Yes, it's a chore to lug them around. But we travel often, and sometimes quite far. I just want to remind you that things happen. Nasty, unpredictable things that could destroy your books. Knowing how sad it would make you to lose them? It causes me worry."

Tia stared at Tahna. They'd had a similar conversation like this one for years now. Each time, she would admit that Tahna had a good point. And Tia then put the matter aside, telling herself she would deal with it after their return in the fall. And she always got caught up in other projects during the winter months. And, to Tahna's credit, she didn't bring the matter up until the following year, when the same heavy trunks appeared once again.

Just then a mud-spattered rider galloped toward town, the horse's iron shoes clattering on the stone road. He slowed as he neared the seven wagons gathered together, moving his horse to the side to pass around them.

Tahna nudged Tia.

The approaching rider was their half-brother, Silmodan. The blond, half-elven fighter-mage was the head of New Brittany's Border Patrol, dedicated to keeping the town safe from incursions by orcs, unseelie, and other threats.

They waved at him.

Removing his hat, Silmodan re-directed his horse toward them and dismounted. Taking off his wet rain-slicker, he tossed it over his saddle, and held out both of his arms.

Tia grinned as she gave him a hug. He smelled of sweat, leather, and winter forest. At one-point-eight meters tall, almost a head-span taller, his strong arms around her always felt nice. Younger than Tia by a single year, with his elvish blood, the decades barely touched his middle-aged appearance. What the sisters loved about him was his willingness to listen, and how he seemed to know when someone needed cheering up, and went about doing that cheering-up himself.

"I wasn't sure if you'd be back in time!" Tia exclaimed. "I'm happy that we have a chance to say goodbye to you!"

Kissing her forehead, he laughed, his blue eyes sparkling, his unkempt blond hair making him look more rakish than normal. "What? And miss seeing you beauties off? I would have seen you off at breakfast, but I had to move a fallen tree off the road. The way's clear now, all the way to Ayerdine's Crossing."

"You are so considerate!" Tia told him. "Going all that way to make sure we have a clear road."

"Your gratitude made it all worthwhile," he assured her. "Besides, what kind of brother would I be if I didn't make sure your trip was as easy as I could make it?"

"The best kind of brother, Silmodan," Tia assured him.

Once Tia stepped back, he gave Tahna a kiss to her forehead as well, then lifting her up a bit and squeezing her tight twice before letting go. Tia grinned, for Tahna gave him a genuine smile, a too-rare event these days.

Stalwart, his roan mare, leaned her head by Tahna's pack, sniffing and nickering.

They laughed, as Tahna opened her pack and dug out a slightly wizened apple from the family's winter's stores. The mare took the apple and munched it contentedly.

Suddenly inspired, Tia asked, "Silmodan? Will you do me a humongous favor?"

Then she dramatically batted her eyes at him.

"Oh, gods. Are you actually trying your feminine wiles on me, Tia?"

"No, silly. They are sisterly wiles. They are much stronger, nearly impossible to resist. If you know what's good for you, you'll give up now, Silmodan!"

Laughing, the blond half-elf held up his hands. "Okay, okay. I surrender to your overwhelming power. What can I do for you, Tia?"

Even Tahna gave a snicker of amusement. And that made Tia's smile even bigger. "Take my trunks home and put them in my room."

Tahna's mouth dropped open.

"That's it?" he asked. "But don't you have to have your reference books for all the people you correspond with? And what about clean clothes?"

"I have some essentials in my pack, and a spare blouse. I can get things washed at Ayerdine's Crossing. Tahna's been giving me good advice for years, and this year I'm finally going to take it."

Tia glanced at her sister. Recovered now, the warrior monk gave Tia a half-smile with her nod of approval. "It'll give me incentive to get the books copied. And I can buy more chamomile tea in City of the Suns. Besides, it's been ages since I've shopped for a new clothes. Maybe I'll make Tahna go with me."

Tahna's face suddenly paled at the suggestion. She knew nothing about fashion and had no interest in learning about it. She had a two gis to change into and a spare dress that fit and wasn't too worn for special occasions. What more did she need?

"Then I wish you happy shopping, dear sister." He'd caught Tahna's reaction and winked at Tia. "Do you want me to arrange for your books to be copied? And which address do you want them shipped to?"

"Oh, would you?" Then Tia tilted her head to the right as she thought. "Two copies, please. One set can go to the Pixie Palace, in City of the Suns. Ship the other one to Theodonra's place in the capital. I'm sure she'll hold them for me until I can make other arrangements."

"Done. I'll talk to my mother, and to Mothers Morgan and Charmain. Maybe they'll even get Father involved. You can settle up with them when you return home in the fall. Do you want to see if these books can be linked? I think it can be done, but magically, I'm not in the same league they are."

"Yes! If they can. That would be terrific. Thank you!" Tia hugged him again, then rose on her toes and kissed his cheek. "Silmodan, you are such a good brother!"

"Glad to help." Then he grinned at Tahna, holding out his free arm for another hug from her, too. "Are you going to get a bit more of my brotherly awesomeness, too?"

Tahna rolled her eyes, but then grinned as she hugged him.

"I miss all three of you when you go away," he told them. "At least you always come home. Give Mindal my regards when you see her." Reaching into his inner jacket pocket, he pulled out a thick envelope. "Tia, will you deliver this for me?"

"To your son, Mike, at the city library? Of course." Tia took the envelope from him. She put it into the side pocket of her pack, buckling the strap down securely.

"He's written that he's met someone special. Please, if you can, I'd like it if you could get a chance to see her and let me know your opinion. Will you do that? He's such a bookworm, and he can be awfully trusting. I want to be sure she isn't out to take advantage of him."

"We will," Tia promised.

Tahna nodded as well.

Family looked out for family.

Mikel Flannery Landers was Silmodan's only surviving child. Mikel was a popular name among the grandchildren. To distinguish him from all the other boys named Mikel, Silmodan's son was called Mike. The floods of 2076 had taken Silmodan's wife, Tara, and Mike's twin brother, Martin. When their bodies were finally found, neither one had survived the attempts to raise them from the dead. Silmodan had his own place, built adjacent to their parent's house, and after his wife's death -- until Mike was grown -- father and son had spent most of their time within the main house, Silmodan accepting the help of his aunts and grandmothers in raising and spoiling his son. Tia had taken the classes to become a teacher, and working with father and son, outlined Mike's education curriculum, and during her winters in New Brittany, had overseen his teaching directly. Mike's love of books had led him to City of the Suns, where he'd found his dream job as head reference librarian at the city library.

Untying a coil of rope from his saddle, Silmodan secured both trunks by threading it through the handle straps, then tied them off so they wouldn't clatter. When he was done, he cleared his mind, and cast levitate upon each trunk. As they slowly lifted up, he picked up the reins to his mare, and with a nod to the sisters, walked the west road toward the Landers homestead, followed by his horse and Tia's floating trunks.

"I'm surprised you did that," Tahna murmured.

"You didn't think I had it in me?"

"You are my big sister. You have always taken care of us and I know you always will. Habits and routines can be hard to break. Most of the time, you do the right thing."

"Just that in this case, I happened to take a lot longer than usual, right?"

"What's a few decades among family?"

Tahna's dry delivery cause Tia to burst out laughing. "I so appreciate your patience with me. You are such a good sister!"

"Hey," Tahna whispered. "Look over there."

At Tahna's indication, she turned. Across the wide street, Martin's ghost watched his father Silmodan walk away.

Tia took in the scene, suddenly filled with sadness. "Tara's been gone for eighteen years, and still he remains alone. If I thought it would help him heal -- even if he is my brother -- I'd drag him into a bed and seriously do him."

Tahna saw Martin jerk his gaze sharply in their direction. He shook his head firmly no.

"I don't think that would be a good idea, Tia. And Martin certainly disapproves."

She sighed. "Trust me, I know better than to actually try that with him. My heart, though, sees his pain and wants to fix it. He's a good man and deserves to be happy."

"I'm glad you're seeing sense. When Silmodan is ready to move on, he'll do so. And if that doesn't happen, that is his choice." Tahna looked up the street for Martin, but the ghost of Silmodan's dead son had vanished.

"I know that, Tahna. I can still feel sad for him."

Sometimes when visitors to the town learned about Martin, they wondered why he was allowed to remain. The child had first manifested the summer after his death. Morgan Landers had cast her runes in the Town Hall, and declared that Martin was not evil, and then forbade any hostile action against the ghost-child. And indeed, in the years since his first appearance, several of the town's children owed Martin their lives, for he often gave warning whenever a child was in danger, especially near water.

Tapping her foot impatiently, Tia looked around. "Where is Mindal? She knows the caravan is leaving at eight bells. It's almost that time now! And where are those two scallywags, Robert and John? They're getting fifty gold pieces each for a two-week job. They could at least show up on schedule."

"No doubt that's why you started giving the money to their wives," Tahna said with a grin.

It was at that moment that their carriage came clattering noisily down the cobblestone street. Robert Lennon and John Armstrong shared duties as drivers and footmen.

While Robert held the reigns, John got down, then noticed that Tia's trunks were absent. Using her honorific as high priestess, he carefully asked, "Where are your trunks, Mother Tia?"

"Just us," Tia answered. "How about that? You and Tahna won't have to try and fit them into the carriage."

"We'll take it," Robert said with a grin, and John nodded in agreement. The trunks were heavy and could be a challenge to lift. As they were already late, not having to wrestle with the luggage was a boon.

"At last! There she is," muttered Tia, siting their youngest sister.

"Hey! Wait for me!" Mindal Theláyna Landers, the third and last member of their party, hurried up.

Ten years younger than Tia, Mindal was a Master Bard and well-used to tramping through the wilderness. Dressed in practical travel gear -- consisting of dark brown trousers, tall, soft boots, and a dark blue shirt with printed green pine trees -- she wore a long sword at her left hip, and her bow stowed in its cover and quiver hanging from the other side of her backpack. Both were within easy reach. Mindal was also the shortest of the three sisters, and was just as bronzed. Mindal was the only one to inherit their mother's green eyes and some of the auburn coloring in her dark hair.

Huffing as she ran closer. Her mandolin case shifted wildly about at her right side. In front of her, she pushed a floating trunk.

"What in the world are you packing in that thing?" Tahna demanded, hands on her hips.

"Music! What else!" Mindal yelled back.

"Mindal, you stopped bringing your notes three years ago. Between music gigs, partying, and teaching, when exactly are you going to have the time to write?"

"Hey! I'm taking less stuff than Tia. You never say anything to her. So how come you always give me grief yet give her a free pass?"

Tahna glanced at Tia, who smirked. Mindal hadn't even bothered to look before speaking. "For your information, Mindal, I do say something. You are never here to hear it -- because you are always late."

Petey, a little white terrier, dashed up behind Mindal, yapping and nipping at her heels. Petey belonged to Fergus, younger brother their carriage driver, John. The children of both Armstrong families ran about, pointing and laughing at Petey's antics.

"Yeah, yeah, Petey, you've had your fun. Now go away!" The little dog blinked, snuffed, then trotted after the kids. "Don't be so grumpy, Tahna. It's a beautiful day. And thanks for loading that for me."

"Yeah, yeah, yourself," Tahna grumbled, easily carrying Mindal's trunk. John grinned as he opened the rear boot. While Tahna stored the trunk, John secured the ropes and canvas cover. On the top of the carriage were their tents and cooking supplies, and a week's supply of food for the three sisters and the two men. Because Tia did not have her trunks, they would store more things in the rear boot after their first encampment.

When Tahna climbed inside, she removed her rain slicker and backpack, sitting both onto the floor and taking her seat beside Tia. Mindal sat already sat across from them, her backpack parked beside her. Mindal had out her mandolin, Rose, and was checking it over.

John leaned up to the window, peering inside. "All set, ladies?"

"All set," Tia confirmed.

As John climbed up top, Robert called to the team of horses, snapped the reins, and the carriage began to move. Wheels and shod hooves clattered on cobblestones as they took the rearmost position of the caravan.

Ahead of them were seven wagons. Two were stacked with furs, hides, and leather work. Three had furniture from the McIntyre Wood Shops and pottery from the kilns of the McCloud family -- extra packing to keep the ceramics safe. One of the wagons contained seven passengers. Sometimes the children of New Brittany went to City of the Suns, hoping to make their fame and fortune, or at least to find a husband or wife and a job to support themselves. Sometimes, they sought to entice a husband or wife to make the journey back to New Brittany. The last wagon contained food and sleeping gear for all the people in the other wagons as well as hay and oats for the horses.

Mindal set aside her instrument case and lovingly caressed Rose, her mandolin. A lot of musicians and bards gave their favorite instruments a name, asserting they had a personality of their own. In Mindal's case, Rose was enchanted and gifted Mindal with extra spell abilities. Rose required respect, however. For those of insufficient skill, even so much as plucking a single string could result in a nasty, possibly fatal shock.

As her fingers moved a few pleasant chords came out, and Tia grinned at her younger sister in encouragement. Music always made the journey go faster. Brushing back her hair, Mindal strummed a few more chords, then stopped.

"I was thinking..." Mindal began, her green eyes thoughtful.

"Don't! Stop right there," Tahna warned, leaning forward in her seat. "We've had this conversation before, Mindal. It's the same every year. So do us a favor and don't do it. Just don't."

"I can't talk?" Mindal asked Tia, pleading for support.

"Tia," Tahna growled. "Stop her, please."

Mindal frowned. "Come on. Don't be like that, Tahna."

Tahna scowled at her sister. "What's the matter, Mindal? Don't you like playing at the Wild Pony? At the Pixie Palace? Playing for the duchess? You know she's going to ask you to play your song, 'Tickle My Toes.' She always does. Every year she tells everyone it's her favorite song. And don't you like teaching at the Sandhurst College of Music?"

Mindal gave an exasperated look at Tia. "She's always uptight when we set out. You're the high priestess. Monks have to listen to priests. Can't you, like, order her to get laid or something?"

Tia gave Mindal a disapproving look. "Mindal Theláyna Landers! The Lawgiver gave us free will, and there are serious rules about that sort of thing. Tahna's a grown woman capable of making her own choices. I'm disappointed in you for even suggesting that."

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 21 milliseconds