Old Neighbours Become New Friends

"Thanks, Mattie," she replies and presses the doorbell. "Vas or Roger will open the door," she mutters, trying to bolster her own confidence I suspect. Through the frosted glass of the glazing in the door, I can see the silhouette of a woman approaching. "Vas," Veena breathes and grasps my hand as the door opens.

"Raveena!" Vasanta exclaims, smiling before her eyes flick to look me over and I see the surprise in her face. Of course, Veena didn't describe me to her sister, but it's still a little uncomfortable to feel that I'm not what was expected. However, Vasanta rallies magnificently. "Ah, you must be my sister's new girlfriend."

I hold out my hand to shake Vasanta's. "Mattie McConnell, your previously oh-so-straight big sister's girlfriend, yes." Vasanta looks surprised by my quoting her words.

"Um, Mattie was listening to the phone call the other evening; I had it on loudspeaker," Vena explains.

"Oh..." she says. I can see the family resemblance between them, though Vasanta's skin is paler, her face fuller and her figure more rounded, though this may be her pregnancy working its changes. She is attractive, though nothing like as beautiful as Veena; of course, I may be biased! "Oh!" she suddenly exclaims again. "Mattie, um, I hope nothing I said offended you."

"No offence was taken, Vasanta," I assure her and she looks relieved.

"Come on in, both of you," Vasanta tells us and leads the way, through the house and out into the back garden. As promised, it is a small gathering, but without asking either Veena or me, Vasanta claps her hands and announces in a loud voice, "Hello everyone, can I just introduce my sister Raveena and her, um, girlfriend Mattie." All eyes turn to us.

I glance at Veena who looks a little stunned. "Look on the bright side," I whisper, "at least it saves having to come out individually to each of them in turn." She gives me a disbelieving look, but after a moment it softens into a little smile and nod as she tries to accept the positive side.

Vasanta introduces the other guests. There is Roger, her husband and Veena's brother-in-law, who is a slim, ascetic looking chap, also of Indian descent and currently tending the barbecue; Paul and Stella, with whom Roger and Vasanta play badminton; Kate and Michael, their thirty-something next-door neighbours, and lastly Jacob (who's well over six foot with fair skin and mass of curly red hair that remind me of Roz, and a build that shouts 'rugby player') and Anthony, who's equally tall but slim and black. These last two make me wonder until, a moment later, Anthony's gentle brush of fingers on Jacob's arm confirms the pinging of my gaydar.

We move into the garden and Vasanta leads us over to her husband. Roger wipes his hands on the apron he's wearing before shaking my hand and kissing Veena on the cheek. "I hope your girlfriend doesn't mind my kissing you," he tells her with a glance at me. I cannot help a slight rolling of my eyes, but my reaction is nothing compared to Veena's annoyed look and Vasanta's low growl of disapproval. "Sorry... to both of you," he says, "I, um, well, I'm not quite used to the idea of Raveena being, I mean, having a girlfriend." He looks awkward but contrite. "Maybe I should shut up now."

"Good call, darling," Vasanta says. "How long until the food's ready?"

"Fifteen or twenty minutes, my love." Vasanta nods and sorts us out with drinks. Veena takes a large gulp of wine and asks to be topped up.

"Dutch courage?" I ask, giving her a little one-armed hug and she nods.

"Raveena, Mattie, come and meet the other guests," Vasanta invites us, so we spend some time chatting about badminton to Paul and Stella -- or rather we listen as they talk about it. Then move on to Kate and Michael, who talk at about how Veena and I should be looking to buy a property because if we're renting we're just wasting money.

"Michael," I interrupt eventually, "you realize that we don't actually live together at the moment."

"Not all the time," Veena adds, much to my surprise, but before I can say anything further Roger announces that food is ready. As we collect our food, we find ourselves next to Anthony and Jacob. We say hello and re-introduce ourselves. As I suspected, the two men are gay and I cannot help asking them, "Do you know Roger and Vasanta well?"

"Quite well, I suppose," Jacob replies, "we say hello and Roger helped out finding a plumber when we had a burst pipe. This is the first time we've been invited to something like this though."

"I'm beginning to suspect that we may be here to up the gay quotient," Anthony comments wryly, looking at the two of us. I'm wondering if it would be inappropriate to voice my agreement when Vena replies.

"I think my sister means well; perhaps she thought I'd feel more comfortable if we weren't the only gay couple."

"So would I be right in thinking that you and your 'um, girlfriend' haven't been together for long, Raveena? Your sister seemed a little, how should I put this, uncomfortable." Veena glances at me.

"Not long, Anthony; just a fortnight as a couple, though we've known each other for longer. Have you two been together long?"

"Two and a bit years," Jacob replies, earning him a gentle slap on the wrist from Anthony.

"It'll be three years the week after next," Anthony admonishes, rolling his eyes theatrically. "Honestly, he's hopeless with birthdays and anniversaries!" I catch Veena smiling before she leans close to me.

"How are you at remembering anniversaries, Mattie darling?" she whispers.

"You'll have to wait and see!" I whisper back.

The afternoon passes pleasantly enough with the alcohol helping to relax everyone and there's laughter and chatting. Veena especially becomes again the fun, open person I know. This is, I think, partly when people -- particularly Vasanta and Roger -- begin to come to terms with our relationship and partly because, as she puts it, "I just need to accept that my sexuality doesn't make me a different person and 'lesbian me' is still just me."

"Except that you have a girlfriend who adores you to bits!" I point out. Roger calls over to Vasanta that he thinks he heard the front doorbell.

"I hope we've been too loud and annoyed one of the neighbours," he adds as Vasanta heads inside to answer the door. "Now, does anyone want one of the lamb kebabs?" Veena and I ignore him as I see the look in her eyes.

"I'm so glad I spoke to you that evening I met you, sitting outside smoking," she says as she leans in to kiss me. I'm half aware of sounds, voices behind me, but I guess it's just a reaction to the two of us kissing; maybe people aren't quite clear on what the word 'girlfriend' means for us. However, Veena gives a little gasp as she pulls away from me. "Oh fuck!" There is fear in her voice and her eyes as she stares over my shoulder. I swivel quickly to see an older white man and an Indian woman in an azure blue sari following Vasanta into the garden. Somehow, I can tell that these are Veena's parents, Mr and Mrs Roy. "Shit, shit, shit!" Veena swears.

"Look who's popped over!" Vasanta says brightly.

Any thought that her parents may not have seen Veena kissing me is immediately dispelled by the look of surprise on their faces. "Veena, are you okay?" I ask in a hushed tone.

"Oh fuck Mattie, they saw us!"

"Veena, darling, it'll be okay I'm sure," I try to reassure her. I watch Vasanta walk towards us and there's something about the look on her face. I stand quickly and step towards her. "Vasanta, this is your doing, isn't it," I say angrily and she looks awkward. "Fuck, what were you thinking?"

"They'll be fine with Raveena being with you, I know they will," she says defensively.

"I fucking hope so, but that's not the point. This is her news and it's her choice of when to tell them: it's not fair, you pushing Veena into this!"

"It... it can't be so hard, can it? She wants to tell them..."

"Yes, Vasanta, she wants to tell them, but in time; at the moment, she's terrified. Oh shit..." Veena has stood and is heading away towards the far end of the garden and, quite probably, the gate I see there. Turning away from a now guilty-looking Vasanta, I hurry after my love. I reach out and take her arm. "Veena, love, wait..."

"Mattie, I'm so sorry. I can't do this... just, I'm sorry."

"Come with me," I tell her, taking her hand and leading her through the gate, closing it behind us. In the narrow lane, I face her. "Veena, what can't you do? Is it just telling your parents or is it that you can't cope with our relationship, with being gay?" I place my hand on her cheek, stroking it gently with my thumb. My heart beats fast as she bites her lip.

"It's... Mattie, what if my parents are upset with us kissing? What if they think I'm disgusting or perverted?" She starts trembling and crying. "Why did she do it? Vasanta's ruined everything!"

"Raveena, listen, please. Vasanta was so wrong to invite your parents, certainly without asking you, but she really believes it won't be a problem." I hesitate; saying this is going to be one of the hardest things I've ever done. "Veena, we don't have to be together. We could just be friends... you could find a, a... a boyfriend. You're so beautiful, you wouldn't find it hard to find a man attracted to you." I look at her, trying to keep the pleading from my eyes. After a moment she smiles.

"And would this boyfriend like young adult fiction? Or watch at least the first twenty-five minutes of any film? Would he tell me that I'm more capable than I know and show me I can build Ikea furniture? Would he care for me and stand up for me against a lying, shagging bastard? Or give me incredible orgasms? Or have cute, hyper-sensitive tits and a beautiful, lickable pussy? How could he? He couldn't be a gorgeous lesbian tomboy... like my girlfriend Mattie."

"Thank you, darling." I feel a huge rush of relief and upsurge of love, and pull her into a tight hug.

"Raveena? Raveena honey, are you feeling alright?" A softly Indian accented female voice asks and there, standing in the open gateway, is Veena's mother and behind her is Vasanta.

"Raveena, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean for this to happen I just invited Mum and Dad over so you could have the chance..." Vasanta is gibbering as she hurriedly spills out her apology to Veena.

"Vasanta, please be quiet," Mrs Roy instructs and her daughter obeys and looks down. "Now, Raveena, it is a lovely surprise to see you here, but are you alright?"

"No, Mum, not really," she takes my hand. "I'm sorry you had to find out like this, seeing me kissing Mattie."

"Raveena, yes I saw you kiss her, but from what I saw I might perhaps have thought she was no more than a friend," she looks intently at Veena, "only now you apologise to me for that kiss. You are more than friends?"

"Yes Mum, we are... Mattie is my girlfriend and I'm hers."

"Pleased to meet you Mrs Roy; I'm Mattie McConnell," I say, offering my hand.

"Please call me Parmita, Mattie." She shakes my hand, then turns back to Veena. "So, Raveena, please tell me why you having a girlfriend means we are standing in this alleyway."

"Mum, not just a girl who's a friend. Oh sh... damn; Vas shouldn't have invited you; not this afternoon because you don't understand and..."

"Raveena, I understand: you mean girlfriend as in your lesbian girlfriend. I understand and, Raveena, my dear, it's fine."

"I knew it would be," Vasanta claims.

"How could you know how Mum would feel?" Veena asks, glaring at her sister. Vasanta looks towards her Mum who gives a little shake of her head.

"I think that, perhaps, you should explain to your sister why you were so sure, Vasanta dear," Mrs Roy tells her.

"Because... Raveena, when I was around fifteen I... I was unsure of my own sexuality." I recognise from Veena the darkening of the skin that is a blush. "I had feelings for my best friend, Lucy, a crush I guess. I was so mixed up and upset and Mum noticed and she asked why I was unhappy... and asked, and kept asking; you know what Mum's like," the sisters share a smile, "until, of course, I told her. And do you know what Mum told me? That if I liked girls, then that was all there was to it and it was fine: that love is love."

"I never knew..." Veena says a little stunned.

"Well, you were busy with your A-Levels at the time, so you didn't notice Vasanta being upset, I suspect." Mrs Roy tells her daughter gently.

"No, not that; I was so afraid that you'd disapprove, that you'd be upset that I'd not have children..."

"Raveena, when I met and fell in love with your Father, my parents and brothers disapproved very much and objected, saying I was shaming them by marrying a non-Hindu and a white man too. For years, they barely spoke to me, not until after you were born. Raveena, I promised myself I would never try to come between my children and whomever they came to love." Mrs Roy touches Veena's cheek gently. "I admit that I'm looking forward to being a grandmother, but you are my daughter: I love you whether you give me a grandchild or not. And as your mother, I want for you to be happy, and to be with someone who loves you and makes you happy. So, my only question is: does Mattie make you happy?"

"Very, very much!" Veena says, throwing her arms around her Mum.

"And Mattie, are you happily in love with my daughter?"

"Mrs Roy, Parmita, your daughter is wonderful and I love her very, very much."

"And it's not as if the two of you couldn't have chil..." Vasanta begins.

"Shut up right now, little sister!" Veena commands and Vasanta's mouth snaps shut.

"I think perhaps we can re-join your guests now, Vasanta?" Mrs Roy suggests, smiling at her daughters. Vasanta nods, and the two of them turn and head back into the garden.

I take Veena's hand, holding her back. "Veena, darling, it's me asking now: are you really okay?" She takes a deep breath.

"Well, my heart rate is still running at about a hundred miles an hour but it's getting back to normal, and I've got that slightly light-headed feeling that you get after a near-miss in a car, but yes I am, my wonderful lesbian girlfriend! God, I never thought I hear Mum say the words, 'lesbian girlfriend'!"

"Or discover that your sister had once had the hots for a girl?"

"Shit! That was equally unexpected!" Veena smiles, shaking her head in amazement. "But it means she really did know what she was talking about when she told me Mum would be fine with us. Come on; let's go and join them. Poor Dad; left out of the drama again," she laughs as we join hands and open the gate.

"If your Dad is anything like mine, then he's only too happy to be left out, just as long as he gets told the outcome."

"That sounds like Dad! Come on, I need a drink and I'll bet you do too." Too bloody right I do!

- - - - - - - - o o O o o - - - - - - - -

Chapter 7: Starting a new life... together

Raveena's Diary

Sunday 16 June

Mattie and I are a couple! After all the dramas at the barbecue yesterday, I finally feel I can say that. We are, in Mum's words, 'Lesbian Girlfriends.'

Am I a lesbian? Maybe. Probably. It's still strange to call myself that, but I cannot deny how I feel about Mattie and how much I adore her; I love being with her and everything about her, not just making love and having sex with her. Though, let's face it, with Mattie I am a complete dyke slut! But only with Mattie, of course.

Mattie is asleep in my bed as I write this. I love her so much and I want to wake each morning with her and I think, I hope, I believe she feels the same. Whatever the future may bring, I want to meet it with her.

Time to go: she is stirring and I want to be lying next to her when she wakes.

Thursday 27 June

I've been feeling much more relaxed since the barbecue and coming out to my parents. This week has been good as my shift means that Mattie has been picking me up at the end of the day. Monday, she just waited in the car for me to come out, while on Tuesday she came into the hospital wing where the Physiotherapy department is located on the first floor and met me in the foyer. Yesterday, she arrived early, so she was lurking in the reception area to surprise me, which she did. She started pretending that she had a bad back and complaining that she needed urgent treatment. I leant in and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek and whispered, "Wait till we get home: it'll be much more fun being treated there!" Her loud laugh made people look at us and she pressed her mouth shut. I ushered her out quickly.

Mattie did get thoroughly treated as soon as we arrived home; a long, intimate and very sensual massage after which we swapped places. The massage she gave me was very good, while it lasted, but, as I pointed out, massages didn't normally result in the therapist inserting two fingers into the patient's pussy! "What if the patient's pussy is actually dripping onto the bed?" she asked, wriggling her fingers inside me and making me gasp and moan.

"Then it's a valid treatment option," I told her with a loud groan of pleasure, "Now please don't stop!" We ate very late that evening!

As I arrived at work this morning, my colleague Ben was walking in at the same time, so I said hello. He didn't waste any time but immediately asked who the girl who came in to meet yesterday was, "The one with the loud laugh," he called her. I did think about giving an off-hand answer, playing it down with, 'Oh, she's just a friend,' but then, why should I? My family knew and were happy, why not my friends and colleagues?

"That was Mattie, my girlfriend," I told him and looked him in the eye. I could see him trying to work out what exactly I'd meant and what he could ask to be sure. "You know what a girlfriend is; Mattie is mine," I added. Somehow saying 'I'm a lesbian' straight off just didn't seem appropriate, even if it would have been clearer for Ben.

So, um, 'girlfriend' like I might mean girlfriend? As in you're, um..." he was desperately trying to confirm that I was in a lesbian relationship without having to say the words 'gay' or 'lesbian'.

"If by 'um' you mean 'lesbian' then yes, Ben, I am." I saw him nod, and then a confused look appeared on his face, so I anticipated his next question. "Yes, Ben, I did have a boyfriend until a couple of months ago, but I met Mattie and we fell in love." He nodded in understanding.

"Well, it's a surprise, I'll admit, but she seems to have made you very happy." I told him that Mattie had, very happy indeed. I asked him not to say anything to the others, and that I would tell everyone at the morning tea break.

I did tell the six of them. I tried to make it matter of fact, nothing too dramatic. "In case anyone was wondering about the woman who called for me yesterday, the woman with the rather loud laugh." There were nods of recognition from several of them. "Well, her name is Mattie and she and I are girlfriends," I said, trying to keep my voice calm and steady. I could tell, by the stunned silence that followed, that they hadn't expected me to say that! There was surprise, but also uncertainty; questions but also smiles. I told them that I knew some might find it hard, but since they are as much friends as colleagues, I didn't want to have to pretend to them about Mattie.

Thankfully, my colleagues seem, on the whole, to have been fine with my announcement. The only one who seemed really unsure was Janice, but this may be simply because she's in her late forties and more set in her views. Not that she said anything against my being with Mattie; it was more as if she thought I was being silly, or, as she put it when I overheard her talking to Receptionist Mary, "Taking up with a woman seems a bit excessive, even if that bloke she was with was such a bastard to her." Oh well.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 8 milliseconds